• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I never said it doesn't matter to the show, or that I don't like it. I said it doesn't matter to Loki - the character - and his narrative arc. That his story of character growth and the story of the mystery of the TVA aren't really integrated together, and that I get how, if you're here for the Loki stuff, spending so much time on Kang would be a bummer.

What?

It matters to him because at the point in his arc where he's still obsessed with obtaining power, he stumbles upon the entity with more of it than he imagined possible, and he realizes how small and lonely he is. And then by the time he's turning against Sylvie, he's desperate not to jeopardize it, in case the fate of the universe depends on its existence.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
i don't care what they do to make it work, but I want the prime MCU to now be rewritten so that stuff that couldn't appear before due to rights issues, was there the whole time now thanks to Kang and the multiverse being freed

Immortus would have seen Reed and Doom as threats to his plan, so he removed them from the MCU before it ever even existed. It wasn't about rights all along!

And yes - we see a flashback to Captain America & The Howling Commandos and Logan was one of the men Steve freed alongside them and Bucky!

Just a thought, what if by the end of the Kang Saga they (MCU heros) accidentally unleash Galactus as Kang's medaling was the only thing preventing an even larger disaster than Thanos?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a casual MCU fan with no familiarity with the comics and not a particularly deep engagement with this overall storyline, I'm a bit confused about whether this conclusion is setting the groundwork for characters like Deadpool, the X-Men, the F4, and the alleged Spidey "variants" to be introduced via parallel realties - or if the fallout from this is going to be largely background noise and more limited to Loki storyline.

I mean, it seems very big. But I also could be reading too much into it.

It should, really, set up all of that stuff and more. In fact I'd argue all three of the Disney+ shows so far are going to have much larger implications than anyone currently believes.

You've got the Bad Avengers from Falcon & Winter Soldier that Black Widow further foreshadowed that will be important in a world without the Avengers, you've got Chaos Magic from WandaVision that could lead to all sorts of cosmic horrors and Elder Gods like Cthon, Shuma Gorath and yes even Mephisto, and you've got the multiverse and Kang stuff from Loki that will absolutely lead to all sorts of insanity like multiple Spidermen in one movie or the Fantastic Four showing up.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So timelines are new universes, which is weird cause well Infinity Stones aren't meant to work in other universes but when the Avengers Time Heisted they did it from technically another universe which means the stones shouldn't have worked. I still think MCU cocked up time travel.

Except they didn't, they took it from their own universe's timeline

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just a thought, what if by the end of the Kang Saga they (MCU heros) accidentally unleash Galactus as Kang's medaling was the only thing preventing an even larger disaster than Thanos?

I would be so fucking bummed if we go from Fantastic Four villain to ANOTHER Fantastic Four villain. We need to get some mutant antagonists in the MCU.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Galactus noticing the activity of whatever occurs and saying "I Hunger" before heading in that direction would be a fun credit scene.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
What?

It matters to him because at the point in his arc where he's still obsessed with obtaining power, he stumbles upon the entity with more of it than he imagined possible, and he realizes how small and lonely he is. And then by the time he's turning against Sylvie, he's desperate not to jeopardize it, in case the fate of the universe depends on its existence.

Loki thought he was destined to be a ruler, and that ruling people would somehow bring them happiness and comfort. That he'd be the utmost benevolent King unlike his cruel father, even if he had to kill a lot of people to get there. All they'd have to do is kneel to him.

And when he sees what a real "ruler of all men" looks and acts like, the "Greatest Power in the Universe" he selfishly wields, and the much-more-terrible things he does - he's fucking scared shitless. This Loki grew so much as a character in a short time and he doesn't have to meet his "destined" fate at the hands of a more brutal warlord like Thanos, he now has to contend with someone far worse. And the journey Loki took to meeting this person has resulted in this Loki's first big MCU Hero Moment.

Kang may not have a ton to do with Loki in the comics, that's true. But using this show they re-contextualized Loki as we knew him and used him as a vehicle to introduce the concept of Multiversal Variants to the MCU in order to introduce a really interesting foil to him, who happens to be the most dangerous Variant in the Marvel Universe. They've done some nice work here to use the MCU's original "big bad" villain to introduce the worst one yet, and have tied the two together intrinsically in the process.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should, really, set up all of that stuff and more. In fact I'd argue all three of the Disney+ shows so far are going to have much larger implications than anyone currently believes.

You've got the Bad Avengers from Falcon & Winter Soldier that Black Widow further foreshadowed that will be important in a world without the Avengers, you've got Chaos Magic from WandaVision that could lead to all sorts of cosmic horrors and Elder Gods like Cthon, Shuma Gorath and yes even Mephisto, and you've got the multiverse and Kang stuff from Loki that will absolutely lead to all sorts of insanity like multiple Spidermen in one movie or the Fantastic Four showing up.
At this point I truly believe we could see Shuma Gorath show up in a movie and I just love that thought. Suddenly you'd have Marvel breaking down Capcom's door to include him in the next Marvel Vs Capcom (let me dream ok?)

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. If the entire show didn't screech to a halt to drown itself in MCU metaverse bullshit for literally half an hour, it wouldn't have been as bad. I just don't care about 90% of the movies we're getting moving forward and I wanted this show's season finale to feel like a season finale for this show, not a post-credits scene for a Marvel movie I didn't watch setting up another Marvel movie I don't want to watch.

It feels like we just went into a midseason break.
I still don't get this take. The exposition dump of this show is solely about the contents of this show and why things are the way they are. Any connection to the future of the MCU is a result of Sylvie's actions at the end. It pushes the plot of this show forward into season 2. Everything is in service of Loki the tv series, the MCU implications are a side benefit. Like, it's fine if it doesn't land for you, but it's completely dishonest to spin this solely as an Ad for the future.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Short of Apocalypse Mutant antagonists work better without non x-men

Perhaps. But the last thing we need is a bunch of villains in a row that fucking Reed has to beat because everyone else isn't as smart as him.

The Tony Stark plot-wank was bad enough, but at least RDJ is charming. Reed is gonna be insufferable.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What?

Right, that's all pretty straightforward. The TVA is an object that is relevant to Loki as an obstacle, as a "last temptation," as a means to offer him the choice to solidify his character arc. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the lore dump. I liked it, and I jived with Majors performance, because those are both things I'm invested in. But if you DON'T like his performance, and you DON'T care about the backstory laid out for the larger MCU, and just want to see the next step in Loki's story, it makes total sense that you wouldn't like this episode.

Miss Minutes makes the first offer at 5:50. Kang makes his offer at 25:07. That's a long, long chunk of time - half the episode - and most if it isn't vital to Loki's story.

Oct 22, 2020
it means a ton for Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness, we know that much. Since Strange also appears in Spider-Man it stands to reason that it could be the first example of the Multiverse being smashed open that we get to see MCU heroes having to deal with.

But on top of that, Kang is also heavily involved in the early Young Avengers comics so it's highly likely that he'll be the impetus for their formation in the MCU
This is absolutely massive. Your instincts are pretty good here. Spider-Man will be the first movie to explore this stuff most likely.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Based on what we know is coming - specifically Deadpool in the MCU and characters from the Raimi/Webb Spider-Man movies in No Way Home - it seemed implausible that the events of this finale weren't doing a bunch of table setting.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel just can't help themselves.

Loki Expectation: A time bending show where Lok is forced to examine his own character. Meeting different versions of himself, he is forced to confront just exactly who he is and what he wants. When everyone is Loki? Is anyone Loki? And do other Lokis have anything to teach our Loki about life?

The Marvel version of Moon:
1CS5.gif

Loki Reality: Yooooooooo, sacred timeline!!! Whose the one behind the dastardly TVA? You're never gonna guess. Oh you want Lokis, here's some comic relief Lokis nerds can fawn over for two seconds. Damn, you guessed Kang? Well, you're right! KANG, BABY!!! That's right, multi-verse war oh and then you know that's gonna tie into Dr. Strange and Spider-Man. And, we're just gonna have so much "fun."

I don't see how you can watch the show and say that it wasn't exactly in line with what you have as 'Loki expectation'

Like literally everything you mentioned was a theme of the show.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps. But the last thing we need is a bunch of villains in a row that fucking Reed has to beat because everyone else isn't as smart as him.

The Tony Stark plot-wank was bad enough, but at least RDJ is charming. Reed is gonna be insufferable.

Galactus is basically a Thanos x 10000 it'll be all hands in deck not all hands on Reed

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I loved that finale! Jonathan Majors killed it! I really hope the new iteration of Kang in the MCU behaves similarly because Majors has way too much charisma to be locked behind your typical brooding villain. Overall I think this was the best MCU show so far but in general I think thier initial venture into TV has been very impressive.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Galactus is the perfect villain for an easy epic EVERYONE-teams up movie that needs very little setup.
So true. Even the scrappy back half of Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 2 (which abandoned the bigger narrative arcs) was able to do an amazing "everyone Vs Galactus" episode. Now imagine that but on the big screen with more buildup... epic.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
it was super lame to have the mastermind be someone we've literally never seen before. I felt as though the series had a sort of mystery "who's behind it all" element, so it kinda sucked that there was no way to figure it out before the finale. I don't give a single shit about that guy (he doesn't even have a name)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get this take. The exposition dump of this show is solely about the contents of this show and why things are the way they are. Any connection to the future of the MCU is a result of Sylvie's actions at the end. It pushes the plot of this show forward into season 2. Everything is in service of Loki the tv series, the MCU implications are a side benefit. Like, it's fine if it doesn't land for you, but it's completely dishonest to spin this as an Ad for the future.

My point is that all this setup for Kang and shit...none of that is gonna matter to this show, because this show can't deal with the problem. All of the Kang stuff got dumped on us in the last 45 minutes and then bounced off for greener pastures, meaning we have to deal with the fallout of this episode, but can't resolve the situation within the confines of this show.

If this was a standalone limited series it wouldn't bother me, but I don't see a point in doing a season 2 when the new central conflict is now effectively untouchable by this story because it needs to stick around for four or five years of movies.

Galactus is basically a Thanos x 10000 it'll be all hands in deck not all hands on Reed

And then Reed builds the Ultimate Nullifier and wins anyway, lol

I dunno. I want my mutant characters sooner rather than later and a decade of Fantastic Four stuff is just gonna keep them from us even longer.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Loki thought he was destined to be a ruler, and that ruling people would somehow bring them happiness and comfort. That he'd be the utmost benevolent King unlike his cruel father, even if he had to kill a lot of people to get there. All they'd have to do is kneel to him.

And when he sees what a real "ruler of all men" looks and acts like, the "Greatest Power in the Universe" he selfishly wields, and the much-more-terrible things he does - he's fucking scared shitless. This Loki grew so much as a character in a short time and he doesn't have to meet his "destined" fate at the hands of a more brutal warlord like Thanos, he now has to contend with someone far worse. And the journey Loki took to meeting this person has resulted in this Loki's first big MCU Hero Moment.

Kang may not have a ton to do with Loki in the comics, that's true. But using this show they re-contextualized Loki as we knew him and used him as a vehicle to introduce the concept of Multiversal Variants to the MCU in order to introduce a really interesting foil to him, who happens to be the most dangerous Variant in the Marvel Universe. They've done some nice work here to use the MCU's original "big bad" villain to introduce the worst one yet, and have tied the two together intrinsically in the process.
I still don't get this take. The exposition dump of this show is solely about the contents of this show and why things are the way they are. Any connection to the future of the MCU is a result of Sylvie's actions at the end. It pushes the plot of this show forward into season 2. Everything is in service of Loki the tv series, the MCU implications are a side benefit. Like, it's fine if it doesn't land for you, but it's completely dishonest to spin this solely as an Ad for the future.

Bingo.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
But if you DON'T like his performance, and you DON'T care about the backstory laid out for the larger MCU, and just want to see the next step in Loki's story, it makes total sense that you wouldn't like this episode

I don't understand how people are divorcing this from Loki's journey through the season.

The entire series up to this point led to that reveal and it testing how he'd act moving forward.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
My point is that all this setup for Kang and shit...none of that is gonna matter to this show, because this show can't deal with the problem. All of the Kang stuff got dumped on us in the last 45 minutes and then bounced off for greener pastures, meaning we have to deal with the fallout of this episode, but can't resolve the situation within the confines of this show.

If this was a standalone limited series it wouldn't bother me, but I don't see a point in doing a season 2 when the new central conflict is now effectively untouchable by this story because it needs to stick around for four or five years of movies.

And then Reed builds the Ultimate Nullifier and wins anyway, lol

I dunno. I want my mutant characters sooner rather than later and a decade of Fantastic Four stuff is just gonna keep them from us even longer.
He doesn't, that's never how the story goes, humanity results in Watcher giving in and allowing Torch to go steal the nullified

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird performance. Not everyone likes really eccentric performances like that. I still don't know how I feel about it. It's hard to take the character seriously or believe anything he says when so much of his performance feels like an improv comedy bit gone rogue.

After the dull, dark, brooding we got from Thanos, I like a completely different personality in an antagonist.

This guy seems a whole lot more interesting than Mr. Inevitable.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of interesting how this version of Loki is going to become (if it already hasn't) the "default" Loki in the minds of the viewers.

We know Loki's timeline in the MCU, but now Marvel Studios is starting to rewrite it. This Loki in the show started off as just a "variant" in our minds, but after the show, it's clear going forward that this is going to be a long journey with this Loki, perhaps even meeting back up with the Avengers one day.

People will look back at the Loki that got killed by Thanos as the alternate, and the "prime" Loki will eventually be viewed as the one we're following in the show.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could say I have hope, but with this push for Fantastic Four and Young Avengers content, it doesn't feel like they have ROOM for mutants any time soon.

It's hard to say. Leaning hard into multiverse stuff for phase 4 at least gives them narrative carte blanche to introduce, well, anything to the MCU at this point. Since Feige actively doesn't give a shit about Inhumans they can have a multiversal time traveler drop the X-gene equivalent of a terragen bomb somewhere in the prime MCU timeline and bam, mutants. 10 years is probably a stretch, but I'd be surprised if it was less than 5.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

What a great post! I think you really nail it here.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched ScreenCrush and their Easter Eggs video, and they just made a theory that blew my mind:

When Steve took the time stone and went back in time to choose to live out his life before ultimately replacing it back in the proper place, that created the Nexus event that Kang saw 1,000 years later, and that Kang is actually a descendant of Tony Stark.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
X-Men was up there with Spider-Man as one of my favorite comic properties growing up, but like Spider-Man I got kind of burnt out on so much content. I think I'm okay waiting a bit before they branch into the MCU.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017

That could be an interesting choice. I'm also curious if they are going to stick with Latveria being a sort of realistically hodgepodge eastern European nation and thus necessitate Doom being white. He doesn't need to not be, but there are a lot of non-white actors who could pull off the Doom gravitas really well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
After the dull, dark, brooding we got from Thanos, I like a completely different personality in an antagonist.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a Kefka fan. I just don't know how I feel about it in this particular situation. Like I said it's not a bad performance - it's SUPER different than the way Majors played Tic in Lovecraft Country, which is a sign of great range. It's just weird.

I just watched ScreenCrush and their Easter Eggs video, and they just made a theory that blew my mind:

When Steve took the time stone and went back in time to choose to live out his life before ultimately replacing it back in the proper place, that created the Nexus event that Kang saw 1,000 years later, and that Kang is actually a descendant of Tony Stark.

I don't get this theory.

Like yes, I could easily see them somehow contrive that this Kang is a descendant of Tony rather than Reed's dad, because Tony is basically the gravity well at the center of the MCU universe, but I don't see what it would have to do with Steve bouncing around time.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of interesting how this version of Loki is going to become (if it already hasn't) the "default" Loki in the minds of the viewers

My roommate and I were discussing the episode this morning, and I caught myself calling him "our Loki" for like five minutes before I remembered he's not, really.

What a fucking turn.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

Totally. Loki was convinced he'd be a great ruler, but he had an inferiority complex and lashed out at the merest idea that he wouldn't or couldn't be. He also lambasted the idea of free will because of this. People didn't think he'd be great, but he was convinced he *would* be great, and the only way to convince people of his greatness would be to crush them into servility. But the tables are turned on him over the course of this show, and he sees how crushing it is to see his own opportunity for free will stripped from him. He comes to recognize how evil taking this away from people is, in the end.

His desire to rule by robbing his subjects of free will might be exactly why HWR thought he could be a replacement, although the show doesn't really give the audience a lot to go on in this regard. The decision about His successor seems capricious and arbitrary.

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
That could be an interesting choice. I'm also curious if they are going to stick with Latveria being a sort of realistically hodgepodge eastern European nation and thus necessitate Doom being white. He doesn't need to not be, but there are a lot of non-white actors who could pull off the Doom gravitas really well.
Yeah, while Scoot was the first name to pop up into my head (and honestly because the HaCF cast is too good, and Lee Pace would've been a good Cyclops), I'm completely fine with changing genders and the ethnicity for any character.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I personally loved the personality of The One Who Remains and the way he was acted out. So much so that I'm disappointed that the other versions of him will most likely act very differently and all we got was this one episodes with 2 lokis for him to interact with.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the final choice presented to the leads, but didn't like the explanation of the TVA.

Why is the TVA pruning entire timelines and not just Kang variants whenever they're born (or Kang and anyone who discovers interdimensional travel)? This going unanswered is why the mystery reveal didn't work for me.

HWR suggests that he's tried different things and saw all of the outcomes and this is the only one that prevented calamity.

Also I would imagine that prunining an influential person, but not the timeline as well, would also have unintended consequences, because who's to say how that timeline would progress w/o this person? What people and events would happen as a result of this person just disappearing from society?

Ultimately our heroes are going to have to deal with Kang and come up with an option that isn't fascist, but also isn't cataclysmic. Perhaps it's Kangs narccisim that didn't allow him to focus on pruning his variants only. Maybe that's what our heroes will end up doing, but that would still be a major ethics violation to discriminately and preemptively doom someone for something they are projected to do.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we don't even know who is playing him? lol

and besides, it won't be Reed that ultimately foils Kang.

415.jpg

Wasn't there a scene in a comic book once where the heroes keep fucking up, so they finally swallow their pride and ask Doom for help and he just tells them to go fuck themselves because they didn't ask him to help first even though he would've fixed everything in five minutes tops?

I really can't wait for villain-slash-anti-hero Doom. He's totally going to be the guy that everyone hates and nobody trusts but when the shit hits the fan he's the one punching out Galactus and saving the planet because the only person that gets to beat Reed Richards is him.