• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to be back to the TVA mystery, and this episode had some good GASP moments, but still not as sharp as the first two. As others have mentioned, the dialogue felt particularly stiff in this episode.

Also, please no "the love of two Lokis for each other will save the world~" because bleh. Not that I care about two Loki getting freaky or whatever, but it would be a lame outcome for Loki and Sylvie to have the driving force behind their connection be romantic, particularly after last week's bi reveal. Obviously male/female relationships between bisexual individuals are valid, and should not be dismissed, but when the MCU has such a history of queerbaiting, it would just be another disappointing example of that lack of follow through and consideration.

The above paragraph was sloppy, here's my take 2: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ma...esdays-on-disney.438601/page-69#post-68523790

Finally, I really hope they wanted people to think the "Timekeepers" looked awful, because holy hell were they janky as fuck. The fact that Loki and Sylvie took them seriously when presented doesn't really jive with that though, unless this is related to whatever Loki was trying to tell Sylvie.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer to think the timeline spiked because the universe is just like "Oh my god, ew no, don't do that," and was deseperately trying to get away from Loki on Loki action so much it was ready to split reality.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing ballsy about killing your third lead character in Episode 4 of a 6 episode mini-series.

It's like the most cynical and lazy way to get people to have an emotional reaction to your genre show. If it's some shit Grey's Anatomy does like twice a year, it's not very ballsy.

It is ballsy if you intend to lean into the Sci-Fi nature of your show w/ a genderfluid deity with multiple copies of themselves.

But they had not really established the foundation to make that work.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I prefer to think the timeline spiked because the universe is just like "Oh my god, ew no, don't do that," and was deseperately trying to get away from Loki on Loki action so much it was ready to split reality.

This, but I suppose the in-universe explanation will be a convergence of chaos magicks.
What do you think Kid Sylvie did?

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Pruning never did seem like a final ending for those involved. It didn't have a death-ly look.

I knew the Timekeepers would be a Wizard of Oz-style heap show, but we haven't seen the sad old man behind them yet.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The episode was great and full of characters having to face reality in satisfying ways

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This, but I suppose the in-universe explanation will be a convergence of chaos magicks.
What do you think Kid Sylvie did?

I think she did nothing. I think it's gonna be that she was going to grow up to be a perfectly normal and healthy person.

And we can't have that in a Loki now can we.

If it's ever revealed. I think it also works as "just a random Tuesday" sort of event for Ravonna and the TVA that they ruined this kid's life and can't even recall the details like suggested in this episode. Either that or the TVA just decided they wanted a Loki (they have to get their employees from somewhere). But I think there being no real reason fits in well with the fascist reality of the TVA.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Loki:
abfzLnu.jpg

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
tbh I like that Loki, Marvel's biggest narcissist, immediately falls in love with another version of themselves.

Let the first sex scene in the MCU since Tony banged a reporter in the first twenty minutes of the whole thing be hot Loki on Loki action.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
tbh I like that Loki, Marvel's biggest narcissist, immediately falls in love with another version of themselves.

Let the first sex scene in the MCU since Tony banged a reporter in the first twenty minutes of the whole thing be hot Loki on Loki action.
I told my girlfriend the same thing after last episode, it fits totally into his character.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Another great episode.

Despite minor issues here and there, I think it can be said that Loki is operating on such a higher level than FatWS and even WandaVision (which I actually really enjoyed) that it kind of makes me wonder what happened to the other two.

And yeah...kinda weirded out by the Loki/Loki. When the fanfics start getting written I'll be shipping everything but that.

Also, major coincidence that I just watched this today:

(Basically the story of Loki cutting Sif's hair)

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think if there is ONE CHARACTER of the ten thousand MCU characters that'd find acceptance, commonality and comfort in themselves, it would be Loki. His whole life he has felt pushed aside by everyone, looked down on, doubted, hated, etc. As a defense mechanism he's had to be the one person to think highly of himself, to look out for just him, etc. This is why they have Mobius call him out on it.

It's weird, but I get it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I think if there is ONE CHARACTER of the ten thousand MCU characters that'd find acceptance, commonality and comfort in themselves, it would be Loki. His whole life he has felt pushed aside by everyone, looked down on, doubted, hated, etc. As a defense mechanism he's had to be the one person to think highly of himself, to look out for just him, etc. This is why they have Mobius call him out on it.

It's weird, but I get it.

But what's going to happen now that he's found 3 other Lokis? Two of which look to be of consenting age.

Actually I don't want to think about it.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think she did nothing. I think it's gonna be that she was going to grow up to be a perfectly normal and healthy person.

And we can't have that in a Loki now can we.

The only reason I don't think it's this is because if so why would they wait until she was older to do it? Why not prune her much sooner?

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason I don't think it's this is because if so why would they wait until she was older to do it? Why not prune her much sooner?

She said they've been trying to ever since she escaped as a kid, when she talked about growing up in apocalypses.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone on Reddit pointed out that the cart with all the Infinity Stones also got pruned in that first episode...

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
She said they've been trying to ever since she escaped as a kid, when she talked about growing up in apocalypses.

No I mean before that. If her simply existing made her a variant and not something that happened in her Asgard, why would they wait until she was like 10 or so before pruning her timeline?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they actually did a comic accurate Classic Loki costume and nailed it. The madmen.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be honest I would have preferred Pruning to really be dead in terms of having an impact and following through.

But I do like the idea that Mobius could be around some more. And this is Loki's show and a Disney project so I guess they couldn't commit to Game of Thronesing him even if they wanted to.

Can't believe they have Richard Grant in that silly costume lol

Also glad they got the Time Keeper question out of the way quick with this episode. No more dancing on that point.

I like the Sylvie/Loki relationship too I guess. More than I expected to from Episode 3 which was just kind of clumsy imo.

For a show about Lokis who aren't supposed to do fights like this they have a ton of fights. Not great ones either. This episode felt like they were trying to redo the Last Jedi throneroom scene for...not really a good reason besides wanting to. Anyways, I guess each episode has to have people muddling through hand to hand in an unspectacular fashion.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
No I mean before that. If her simply existing made her a variant and not something that happened in her Asgard, why would they wait until she was like 10 or so before pruning her timeline?

I don't think they had her ask what her nexus event was only to never answer that question. Gugu remembers. And it wasn't being a girl.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
That felt... rushed and messy as fuck. I hope they bring it all together with the last two episodes because I was loving everything up until now.

The fight scene at the end of this episode was incredibly bad. Seriously, who choreographed that shit? Everyone had glowing death sticks that disintegrate people on contact and yet everyone was doing their best to avoid using it correctly. And Loki's disintegration could not have been any more telegraphed and contrived. It felt like Samuel L. Jackson's death in Deep Blue Sea with that obvious camera movement. They're treating Loki and the audience like idiots.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The Sacred timeline confirmed an anti-Shipper and should be pruned for weakness smh

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
Lol the fact that I know all of the fansites and shippers will do with Loki and Sylvie...God help us all. But fuck it, even the God of Mischief deserves some love even if it's with himself/herself lmaooo. Marvel wild for this one.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Lol the fact that I know all of the fansites and shippers will do with Loki and Sylvie...God help us all. But fuck it, even the God of Mischief deserves some love even if it's with himself/herself lmaooo. Marvel wild for this one.
Tbh, I think its what will happen with Loki's other variants that people should look out for

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is literally an article on Marvel.com already about Loki/Sylvie. This train has left the station:

"That was one of the cruxes of my pitch [for the series], that there was going to be a love story," head writer Michael Waldron explains to Marvel.com. "We went back and forth for a little bit about, like do we really want to have this guy fall in love with another version of himself? Is that too crazy? But in a series that, to me, is ultimately about self-love, self-reflection, and forgiving yourself, it just felt right that that would be Loki's first real love story."

Loki and Sylvie's love story has an apocalyptic beginning since that's where the two first begin to bond. Trapped on a moon on the verge of total destruction, the two are forced to work together to find a way out of this situation, only to have it completely fail before their eyes. Feeling defeated, Sylvie wonders if Lokis are always destined to lose?

Loki reassures her that while they might lose, they don't die — they survive. He goes on to call Sylvie "amazing" for how she almost took down the TVA on her own, and it's clear from the look on his face that even though they've only been together a short while, Loki's already come to admire and respect her. As the moon literally crumbles around them, Sylvie places a hand on Loki's arm, and that's when it happens: A branch on the Sacred Timeline. These two Lokis are having a moment they were never supposed to have, which as Mobius puts it, is "pure chaos."

"The look that they share, that moment, [it started as] a blossoming friendship," continues Waldron. "Then for the first time, they both feel that twinge of, 'Oh, could this be something more? What is this I'm feeling?' These are two beings of pure chaos that are the same person falling in love with one another. That's a straight-up and down branch, and exactly the sort of thing that would terrify the TVA."

"Who's a better match for Loki than himself?" director Kate Herron chimes in. "The whole show is about identity. It's about him, and he is on a very different path, and he is on a different journey. He sees things in Sylvie that he is like, 'Oh, I've been there. I know what you feel.' But she's like, 'Well, I don't feel that way.' And I think that was the kind of fun thing about it. She is him, but she's not him. They've had such different life experiences. So just from an identity perspective, it was interesting to dig into that."

"When Loki meets Sylvie, he's inspired solely by curiosity," reveals Hiddleston. "He wants to talk to her and understand her and try to discern what was similar about their experiences, and what was different. He keeps asking her questions because he wants to see if his experience was also her experience. I think he realizes, and she realizes, that while they're the same, they're not the same."

Herron was careful setting up this relationship. "It was just about giving it the space to breathe and digging into it in a way that felt earned," she explains.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I loved that episode. I didn't expect them to unveil the Time Keepers as a bunch of BS so quickly. Not sure where it goes from here!

I audibly yelped when they killed Mobius. But apparently pruning just drops you in purgatory or sommit, at least for a while.

The fight choreography continues to be super weak compared to the rest of the MCU and it's disappointing that they keep forcing a fight scene into every episode both for this reason and because Loki's not really a huge melee fighter anyway.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I said it before, but I thought selfcest was only things like "you doing your own self like 5 years ago" or "you physically identical because of cloning". Sylvie is a different gender, lived a totally different life, and is pretty clearly a different person from Loki.

They don't even do the same magic, or use the same knives, or have the same hair color. Come on now.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I said it before, but I thought selfcest was only things like "you doing your own self like 5 years ago" or "you physically identical because of cloning". Sylvie is a different gender, lived a totally different life, and is pretty clearly a different person from Loki.

They don't even do the same magic, or use the same knives, or have the same hair color. Come on now.
I still wonder if her Thor is a girl.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Love Brenda Lee's vocals on "If You Love" me - shows how good she can be in adding emotion to a song

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Also, please no "the love of two Lokis for each other will save the world~" because bleh. Not that I care about two Loki getting freaky or whatever, but it would be a lame outcome for Loki and Sylvie to have the driving force behind their connection be romantic, particularly after last week's bi reveal. Obviously male/female relationships between bisexual individuals are valid, and should not be dismissed, but when the MCU has such a history of queerbaiting, it would just be another disappointing example of that lack of follow through and consideration.

I've sat on this post for a bit but it doesn't sit well with me.

Equating a bisexual character in an opposite-sex relationship to queer-baiting is bullshit and implicitly suggests that a bisexual in an opposite-sex entanglement isn't queer or is only representational for heterosexual audiences. We're not here to be last resort representation for gay audiences. Opposite sex love interests are part of our truth, and this is the first and only time Loki has had a love interest. It didn't NEED to be a man to prove some kind of point or hit some kind of quota.

And that's before we get into the possible (probable?) gender fluidity here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I am pretty much on the same boat as you, I think the one place where it gets weird is the DNA implications especially with reproducing, but you can handwave that away and say that is a human thing, not asgardian/frost giant I guess

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Old Man Loki totally went in a different Direction costume wise than I was expecting and its amazing. When they first showed Sylvie I figured that would be how old man loki dressed.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty much on the same boat as you, I think the one place where it gets weird is the DNA implications especially with reproducing, but you can handwave that away and say that is a human thing, not asgardian/frost giant I guess
True, but like, these gods don't really seem like settling down types at this moment anyways. And they can always adopt anyway if they went there (MCU won't go there I bet).

I will say that making their love something so dramatic it can shift the timeline even when nobody is around to see it during the middle of an apocalypse?

I don't really get how that works with the established time rules and it seems a bit Dan Simmons-y, or Rowling-y for me. I don't know how to feel about that particular consequence and plot device and it feels kind of handwavey right now. Maybe they will develop that into something better with the series but this episode kind of played fast and loose in some aspects I think too.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously male/female relationships between bisexual individuals are valid, and should not be dismissed, but when the MCU has such a history of queerbaiting, it would just be another disappointing example of that lack of follow through and consideration.

I guess I don't follow the argument?

Queerbaiting is when you imply a character or couple is queer then never do anything with it, right?

So actually following through with it - and let's not get this twisted a bi character being with someone of the opposite gender is following through still - is not queerbaiting.

I know you didn't mean it this way, because of how you opened the sentence, but if male/female relationships for bisexual characters is valid then something happening here is still following through. To say otherwise is implying that it's not truly followed through unless Loki is with a dude or they show Loki with both a man and a woman, no? That a bisexual person isn't following through if they're with someone of the opposite gender, etc.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Disney: "Okay so we established both Loki and Loki to be non-straight and at least bi. How do we get out of this?"

That guy on the writer's board: "I have an idea!".

edit just to be clear: this is meant in jest :)

Last edited:

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
I really enjoyed it. The mid credits scene was a big mistake. it's only one more week why not people think they might be dead. Why is everyone so negative on this show. I'm not here for the fight scenes but average viewer would probably get bored.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it. The mid credits scene was a big mistake. it's only one more week why not people think they might be dead. Why is everyone so negative on this show. I'm not here for the fight scenes but average viewer would probably get bored.

Because nobody on earth would think Loki-prime was dead. They'd know he would be returned in some way. Loki world is better stuff to chew on than that.