• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
Bomb-Omb one is typically always that 1 out of 5 choice that's not Thwomp's. It's ok but too reliant on gimmicks.

I don't get it - what's the gimmick that it's too reliant on? It's not a particularly zany map. It's just like any other mario party map but a bit smaller

I feel like the Bomb map is the only one that has a punishing mechanic, which most other good mario parties have.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it - what's the gimmick that it's too reliant on? It's not a particularly zany map. It's just like any other mario party map but a bit smaller

I feel like the Bomb map is the only one that has a punishing mechanic, which most other good mario parties have.

King Bomb in the middle, bomb allies, conveyor belts. Along with the map being really small you're forced into that crap all the time. It's not horrible but it can be stupid. I'm down for punishing mechanics, but they're more annoying here than anything.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The first MP I played was Super with my GF. We found the minigames pretty good but the boards were incredibly boring. The boards in partner mode were really good though! I was hoping for a new MP entirely focused on Partner Mode.

Then we played 9 on Wii (actually on Dolphin) and again, the minigames were good but we thought the car mechanic destroyed the competitiveness. We also tried 8 and the boards were cool (especially the Monopoly one, which was a sort of game-inside-a-game). Unfortunately, the game was very ugly and slower than the NDCube games (but I should add we played the PAL version, which was locked to 50hz for some reason).

So the content of this Mario Party will be 100% new for me. Should I get it? Do we know if they plan to add Partner Mode?

Paging Stopdoor since he seems to be the Era Mario Party Connoisseur.

Haha

I kind of doubt it'll be a thing in this game - if you think back to Super Mario Party, all the boards were obviously grid-shaped even when the "Mario Party" paths were drawn onto them. Since this one is lifting classic boards, it would be pretty much impossible to fit that sort of style onto them. The Partner Party mode was also heavily based on Mario Party Star Rush's mechanics on 3DS, and now that this game has such a clear remake direction, they probably are going to move further away from those unique mechanics. The dice system in general being 1-10 is sign of that, doesn't really fit well with the custom dice thing.

Mario Party 5 to 7 (8?) had a "Team Match" mode at least where you could fix the game to 2v2 for the whole board, but it was traditional mechanics. Probably unlikely to return though.

Mario Party 8 was alright but it was definitely a downturn before the series really went weird with 9. I'm only digging into the Treehouse footage now but generally I'd never not recommend the original trilogy of Mario Party games, lol. Stellar games. You might not want recommendations for this series from me though because even if this one has some silly changes mixed in I've never been disappointed by any of these games lol, it's a blessing they've made so many at all and tried variations of it.

Last edited:

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Do we know if Bumper Balls is in this? That's been my favorite minigame since forever and I will pre-order this if it is.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Do we know if Bumper Balls is in this? That's been my favorite minigame since forever and I will pre-order this if it is.
It was in the top 100 collection so I can't imagine they'd remove it from this.

They even took a heavier hand to it in Top 100 and re-worked the physics to not stalemate so easily lol, so I think they recognize the game is well-liked enough to bring it back and also avoid a situation like this:

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
It is confirmed in! It was on the stream.
SDGnbeZ.png

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Does this game support pro controllers? My joycons are both unusable and I'm definitely not planning to buy one until I get a Switch Pro or something. That's the reason I didn't get Super Mario Party. It's such a dumb limitation.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Thank you all for the Big Bumper info. I am so happy and so in for this.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
A bit bummed its only 5 boards. Would have been sweet if it was 5 boards and the minigames as an expansion to Super Mario Party. Feel like Super had the best batch of minigames the series has ever had and to just have 100 classic ones in a separate release is a little deflating.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This was the highlight of the direct for me. A remake compilation of a few classic game boards and 100 classic mini-games is pretty freaking tight. Sucks it's only 5 boards and not 6, though. That means the count won't spread evenly amongst all 3 N64 games. Six boards was minimum back in the day, and it should've stayed that way.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This is what we should have gotten out of the gate on Switch, but glad we finally got it.
online play on all games, suspend ability, and I have to say, the boards look amazing.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
5 boards is a disappointment especially when two of the boards shown are imo the worst boards in MP1 and MP2 respectively.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
This is seriously only 5 boards? They're also just taking old boards. Why wouldn't you just include more of the old ones? You have so much to pull from.

Disappointing.

spicynun

Jul 19, 2020
I cannot relate with the people saying it should've been dlc. I get it's annoying to have to buy another full price game, but I would rather have this classic formula without the allies and character dice blocks personally.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"but there were other modes where the boards were technically different!"

x1bBLOK.gif
Haha I've heard this shit too many times smh. If only they were as good as the main mode lol

Can't deny I made the Era thread to defend this and while I think people poorly dismiss the Partner Party mode, I have to admit I soured on it a little over time. Like some people have iterated in this thread Super Mario Party was deceptively strategic at first but over time you kind of start to realize how the economy and small boards really fail it, I'd probably have been happier with it if the four boards were all stellar. Even then, I think the boards aren't the game's biggest failing.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
How can it be the worst if Mystery Land exists?

(This is like the 3rd time I've had to come to the defense of Space Land in this thread lol. You all are silly)

The problem with space land and why I think it's the worst board in MP2 is the stupid speeders. You spend half the board being sent back over the same dozen or so spaces by that awful happening event and the only escape is the speed trap which potentially sends you even further away from where you want to go. MP3's action events fixed this issue in chilly waters with the action command to jump the obstacle.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
User Banned (1 Month): Hostility and Inappropriate Language; Long History of Hostility and Inflammatory Behavior
I always find it funny how you can always find Nintendo dick riders ready to defend their obviously shitty behavior

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay looks great and graphics are even better. This is honestly making me think the gameplay was shown on the switch pro or something.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wish the Mario Party 2 maps had the costumes, but I'm fine with this otherwise. I've been playing a ton of the first three games over Parsec with some friends, so it will be nice to upgrade

hypno

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't restrict how many people can play on a switch in online mode.
I want to do 2+1+1

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
How can it be the worst if Mystery Land exists?

(This is like the 3rd time I've had to come to the defense of Space Land in this thread lol. You all are silly)

Agreed, and I'll take Space Land over "never getting to leave the first island because of the bridge's happening spaces," Pirate Land.

Also, watching all your friends lose their coins in Space Land is hilaaaaarious.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am confused at those saying this should be DLC.

Nintendo cranked out 10 Mario Party games in as many years expecting people to buy new entries almost annually. This is the second Mario Party game for the Switch - releasing 3 years after Super Mario Party.

Additionally, due to its controls, it would be impractical to have Lite owners purchase Super Mario Party and buy DLC when the base game would essentially be unplayable on the system.

No one can deny Super Mario Party has some glaring issues. Superstars seems to be tackling many of these issues for the better. Only 5 playable boards is disappointing, but I see many other improvements that make this seem like a solid choice for fans of the series.

I'm not saying there aren't things to criticize about the game, but I think calling it DLC is a bit much.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Random thought but I always found it funny in MP2 that the pirate map was labeled as low difficulty when it's nearly impossible to get anywhere without being blown up by cannonballs or being forced to ride the stupid shark. Meanwhile horror land was high difficulty when it's probably the easiest map to get around besides the western one.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This looks so good! Watched all the Treehouse gameplay and I'm totally in. Visually this looks excellent too.