• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i held back on buying this for so long
but i finally got fed up of having to plug on the shitty wii u and i grabbed this on sale
worth every cent, the game is so good, and people actually want to play on the switch

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was extra stuff they made for the port, when it came out. Mk8d is almost 3 years old now. They aren't randomly making dlc 3 or 4 years into it.
:(
i want to remain hopeful. 9 is at least 3 years away. just a couple of cups and characters to give me an excuse to go back to the game would be enough.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Cross-posting from another thread:
On a related note, I think we should all be convinced that MK8D (not MK8D + MK8) will quite likely outsell MKWii, barring the outside chance that MK9 releases for Switch in a year or so. It's only 14M removed from MKWii, and it's selling so much faster than the Wii game:

MKWii after 22 months: 21.22M
MKWii after 34 months: 26.50M
Sold in year 3 = 5.28M

MK8D after 22 months: 15.02M
MK8D after 34 months: 22.96M
Sales in year 3 = 7.94M

That's a big delta in yearly sales, and should allow MK8D to overtake the Wii game. An addition help is that the Wii basically dropped quickly after 2010, which is not the expected trajectory for Switch at all.

TL;DR: Don't be surprised at all if MK8D beats MKWii on its own. It could even do 40M+ in my opinion.
How say you? Who dares to defend MKWii and its prospects of retaining the first place in the MK sales hierarchy against MK8D?

Also: MK8D should pass MKDS next quarter.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hopefully MKWii is finally dethroned and shamed for being a false king.

I stand by my only King, MK8 and his father MKDS.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best and most complete Mario Kart, right now the best kart racer on the market. Still bummed they didn't make new tracks for the new version, but still. Deserved success here.

SGRU

Jan 20, 2020
EXPANSION PASS THIS SHIT

Seriously, I don't want an MK9, that would mean starting over at like 32 tracks. We already got 48 of the best tracks ever, so let's milk that 20-million install base by selling a $20 Expansion Pass that adds another 16 tracks for 64 tracks total. The return on investment will be killer for Nintendo, even if a fraction of the base buys it.

Heck, they could even create a new SKU — "Mario Kart Deluxe 8: Lap 2" — that replaces the original at retail, and features all the content of regular MK8D plus the new stuff. That way you don't have two SKUs cannibalizing each other. The people who already got MK8D would just buy the Expansion Pass.

Nintendo, please listen to this guy.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I don't want a new Mario Kart but I really need more DLC for MK8D, they way they remade previous tracks like Moo Moo Meadows or the SNES and N64 versions of Rainbows Road was glorious, some original tracks from the DLC packs are the best in the game... Its just need more content Nintendo come on! Just look at Smash Bros and its Fighter Passes, I know you all want that money ):

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
EPg8lljW4AAp-DH

Thanks to Oscar Lemaire. MK8D is catching up with MK Wii.
Its the catchup mechanics.
MK8DX was behind Wii, so it got a golden mushroom.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
MK8D Annual Sales

2017: 7,330
2018: 7,690
2019: 7,940

LTD: 22.96M

LOL its tracking with much better legs than MKWii now. This was the best quarter of its release (ahead of Apr-Jun 2017!). It is 3.5M behind MKWii launch-aligned. Equivalent quarter was 60% ahead of MKWii (2.49M Holiday Quarter 2010). MKWii shipped 5.3M in its 3rd year (2010). Forward potential of the Switch right now seems stronger than the Wii in December 2010.

I think the Switch version will pass MKWii and hit >40M. So far its increased sales for its three years on the market. Presuming it drops to ~6M this year still keeps it well on that trajectory.

Cross-posting from another thread:

How say you? Who dares to defend MKWii and its prospects of retaining the first place in the MK sales hierarchy against MK8D?

Also: MK8D should pass MKDS next quarter.

Yup.

Last edited:

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
EXPANSION PASS THIS SHIT

Seriously, I don't want an MK9, that would mean starting over at like 32 tracks. We already got 48 of the best tracks ever, so let's milk that 20-million install base by selling a $20 Expansion Pass that adds another 16 tracks for 64 tracks total. The return on investment will be killer for Nintendo, even if a fraction of the base buys it.

Heck, they could even create a new SKU — "Mario Kart Deluxe 8: Lap 2" — that replaces the original at retail, and features all the content of regular MK8D plus the new stuff. That way you don't have two SKUs cannibalizing each other. The people who already got MK8D would just buy the Expansion Pass.

I like it

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
So let me get this straight. Mario Kart games sell MORE the longer it's in circulation. This is the thing isn't it. If your game isn't annualised nonsense and still holds value (ESPECIALLY multiplayer wise) the way it did when it first released; then why should you slash the product to 50% of its original value. It annoys day one buyers and the game clearly has legs for the lifespan of the consoles life; pending a sequel of course.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Shipped almost 8M copies in 2019, thats insane

ROI on the Switch version must be crazy high

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So let me get this straight. Mario Kart games sell MORE the longer it's in circulation. This is the thing isn't it. If your game isn't annualised nonsense and still holds value (ESPECIALLY multiplayer wise) the way it did when it first released; then why should you slash the product to 50% of its original value. It annoys day one buyers and the game clearly has legs for the lifespan of the consoles life; pending a sequel of course.
Mario Kart (and Nintendo software more generally) is incredibly unique in this regard. Sure, I do think it helps that there is no expectation of fast price drops, but it's also that the quality of these games is massive (Smash 93 MC, BOTW, SMO 97, MK8D 92) and they are often incredibly unique games, so they have a lot of continuous appeal since at any point in a system's lifetime, they represent a unique selling point that differentiates them from all the other software out there.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
My most played game on the Switch (and WiiU) and only one I played that doesn't shit the bed when playing online.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Every fiscal report is an L for that Polygon writer.
I'm not trying to single you out bc a lot of ppl bring that article up, but the whole thesis was that the Wii U is selling badly and so even if every Wii U owner bought the game it'd be the worst selling game in the series. This ended up being true, and those laughable charts don't invalidate the thesis. Same if it sells better on a different, more popular console.

Polygon gave the game a 9.0 and thought it was great, the article is about how the Wii U is dogshit which is true.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to single you out bc a lot of ppl bring that article up, but the whole thesis was that the Wii U is selling badly and so even if every Wii U owner bought the game it'd be the worst selling game in the series. This ended up being true, and those laughable charts don't invalidate the thesis. Same if it sells better on a different, more popular console.

Polygon gave the game a 9.0 and thought it was great, the article is about how the Wii U is dogshit which is true.
Nah even their expected number on WiiU was laughable.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
MK8 for WiiU outsold both Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA) and Mario Kart Double Dash (GC).
The thesis was stupid because they didn't consider that the attach ratio with the userbase may vary from game to game so it's actually possible that a game released on a console with low userbase might sell better than a game released on a console with bigger install base.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure it did not end up being true, even just on Wii U...

EDIT: Yeah, see above

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

their premise was bunk and the evidence didn't even work in their favor

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has literally been printing money with the Switch.

Honestly it's kind of unbelievable they're not porting even more Wii U stuff to the Switch. Where Mario 3D World at?

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Heh I bought MK8D last week for around £25 off boomerang after renting it for a week. I'm really enjoying it but MAN are people fucking GOOOOD at it online, i have no hope of any decent placing lmao.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's success is bittersweet. On the one hand, it is deserving of its success due to its excellency and will likely encourage Nintendo to seriously polish each future release. But on the other hand, it has broken the 2 - 3 year release cycle which has been in place since 2001's Super Circuit. We missed a Mario Kart 9 in 2017 due to the Switch re-release. And we will miss Mario Kart 10 this year thanks to the re-release's success (as well as the lack of a need for it since Nintendo has merged their home and handheld consoles).

Hopefully we get Mario Kart 9 within the next 3 years.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
It didn't needed plastic also!

Plus, these "23 million x 60 dollars" are almost free money... jeez.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's success is bittersweet. On the one hand, it is deserving of its success due to its excellency and will likely encourage Nintendo to seriously polish each future release. But on the other hand, it has broken the 2 - 3 year release cycle which has been in place since 2001's Super Circuit. We missed a Mario Kart 9 in 2017 due to the Switch re-release. And we will miss Mario Kart 10 this year thanks to the re-release's success (as well as the lack of a need for it since Nintendo has merged their home and handheld consoles).

Hopefully we get Mario Kart 9 within the next 3 years.
That's one way to look at the cycle. The other way is that they release one game per generation on a system. That seems to be the one they are adhering to, the difference being that the massive success of MK8D has probably turned that game into this system's MK game, and leaving MK9 to the launch window of Switch 2.

In exchange for MK9 and MK10 on Switch, we get new IP from the team, one being ARMS and the other probably being worked on for a 2020/2021 release. Whether you like that better than two MK games is up to you.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I wish they'd release more DLC for it. Might not be worth the effort, I guess

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
That's one way to look at the cycle. The other way is that they release one game per generation on a system. That seems to be the one they are adhering to, the difference being that the massive success of MK8D has probably turned that game into this system's MK game, and leaving MK9 to the launch window of Switch 2.

In exchange for MK9 and MK10 on Switch, we get new IP from the team, one being ARMS and the other probably being worked on for a 2020/2021 release. Whether you like that better than two MK games is up to you.
Personally, I prefer the sacrifice for the new IP. But I did enjoy playing a brand new Mario Kart every 3 years.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
+40 million. The game is showing better legs than Mario Kart Wii despite having a worst launch (of course, install base on Wii was way higher at launch).

Hell, i'm gonna predict that Mario Kart 8 will sell 50 million lifetime Switch+Wii U.

Yeah that's what I think as well, 50M total. Ahead of RDR2 and behind MC/GTAV as 3rd best selling game during the gen (1st best for game launches on Gen8 platforms).

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
MK8 for WiiU outsold both Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA) and Mario Kart Double Dash (GC).
The thesis was stupid because they didn't consider that the attach ratio with the userbase may vary from game to game so it's actually possible that a game released on a console with low userbase might sell better than a game released on a console with bigger install base.
That doesn't undermine the thesis that a game could sell better under entirely different circumstances though. The 22m on Switch are as relevant as another potential 30m+ if it released on PS4 or PC.

The Wii U userbase was very low and things weren't looking good, so it wasn't reasonable to assume that Nintendo would figure their life out, release their most popular console (launched-aligned) of all time in 3 years, and then re-release a deluxe version of MK8 that sells well.

Edit: but you and others are correct that the prediction ended up wrong, bc it outsold others on the Wii U alone. I still don't think it was an unreasonable prediction in light of the poor performance of the Wii U. So the author is wrong, I just don't think he's crazy, foolish wrong.

Last edited: