• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Do you think they already made or at least started early dev on MK9 but then put it on ice since it makes essentially no business sense to release it for years?

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Somebody update this chart with the latest sales figures 😉

Yes, total now should be above 142 million units.

But since switch alone sold 50 million units more, it's still not looking good for Mario Kart vs Nintendo Hardware.
I thought about including Mario Kart Tour downloads to help, but since we would have to include the total number of smartphones sold that would be even worse for MK.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
impressive for a port. i really want a new MK and one that has post launch support. should call it Mario Kart X and bring in more nintendo properties. would also love a track creator but i can dream.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
THE ABSOLUTE GOAT KART RACER CONTINUES IT'S RUN

P Diddy says "Take that! Take that" Polygon.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I still think using these sales to say MK9 won't happen on Switch is silly. It would have been a year or close to two years in development by the time it was clear how well MK8D would do.

No idea where you're getting this logic. As long as Switch itself was successful, MK8D was a guaranteed smash hit.

This is their MK game for this gen.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
EXPANSION PASS THIS SHIT

Seriously, I don't want an MK9, that would mean starting over at like 32 tracks. We already got 48 of the best tracks ever, so let's milk that 20-million install base by selling a $20 Expansion Pass that adds another 16 tracks for 64 tracks total. The return on investment will be killer for Nintendo, even if a fraction of the base buys it.

Heck, they could even create a new SKU — "Mario Kart Deluxe 8: Lap 2" — that replaces the original at retail, and features all the content of regular MK8D plus the new stuff. That way you don't have two SKUs cannibalizing each other. The people who already got MK8D would just buy the Expansion Pass.

I would love it if they instead made an expansion pass to the game, and then repackaged the base game to include it. MK8 is already great as-is, I would much rather then put out a $20 expansion pass with some new tracks/racers/etc. Even if it fragments the player base, it's still going to already still be massive.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
EXPANSION PASS THIS SHIT

Seriously, I don't want an MK9, that would mean starting over at like 32 tracks. We already got 48 of the best tracks ever, so let's milk that 20-million install base by selling a $20 Expansion Pass that adds another 16 tracks for 64 tracks total. The return on investment will be killer for Nintendo, even if a fraction of the base buys it.

Heck, they could even create a new SKU — "Mario Kart Deluxe 8: Lap 2" — that replaces the original at retail, and features all the content of regular MK8D plus the new stuff. That way you don't have two SKUs cannibalizing each other. The people who already got MK8D would just buy the Expansion Pass.

I was going to put all characters too, but honestly I don't care about the metal/rose gold characters, the babies, or the Koopalings.

That's fair. I really don't want to see Baby Rosalina again, or Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach as separate characters instead of costumes.

IMO, they should just have this roster from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & Mario Kart Tour:

1. Birdo
  2. Bowser
  3. Bowser Jr.
  4. Daisy
  5. Diddy Kong
  6. Donkey Kong
  7. Dry Bones
  8. Iggy Koopa
  9. Inkling Boy
  10. Inkling Girl
  11. Isabelle
  12. King Boo
  13. Koopa Troopa
  14. Lakitu
  15. Larry Koopa
  16. Lemmy Koopa
  17. Link
  18. Ludwig Von Koopa
  19. Luigi
  20. Mario
  21. Mii
  22. Morton Koopa
  23. Pauline
  24. Peach
  25. Peachette
  26. Rosalina
  27. Roy Koopa
  28. Shy Guy
  29. Toad
  30. Toadette
  31. Villager Boy
  32. Villager Girl
  33. Waluigi
  34. Wario
  35. Wendy O. Koopa
  36. Yoshi
And if you want to be technical:

37. Funky Kong
38. Honey Queen
39. R.O.B.
40. Wiggler

Trim all of the fat. Plus add in more retro stages in HD. We already have the following on MK8D:

From Super Mario Kart on SNES:
1.) Donut Plains 3
2.) Rainbow Road (SNES version)
3.) Battle Course 1 (as Battle Course, MK8D exclusive)

From Mario Kart 64:
1.) Toad's Turnpike
2.) Royal Raceway
3.) Yoshi Valley
4.) Rainbow Road (N64 version)

From Mario Kart: Super Circuit on Game Boy Advance:
1.) Mario Circuit
2.) Cheese Land
3.) Ribbon Road

From Mario Kart: Double Dash! on Gamecube:
1.) Dry Dry Desert
2.) Sherbet Land
3.) Yoshi Circuit
4.) Baby Park
5.) Luigi's Mansion (Battle Course, MK8D exclusive)

From Mario Kart DS:
1.) Cheep Cheep Beach
2.) Wario Stadium
3.) Tick-Tock Clock

From Mario Kart Wii:
1.) Moo Moo Meadows
2.) Grumble Volcano
3.) Wario's Gold Mine

From Mario Kart 7 on 3DS:
1.) DK Jungle
2.) Music Park
3.) Piranha Plant Slide
4.) Neo Bowser City
5.) Wuhu Town (Battle Course, MK8D exclusive)

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
No idea where you're getting this logic. As long as Switch itself was successful, MK8D was a guaranteed smash hit.

This is their MK game for this gen.

Smash hit? Yes.

A 30M+ mega hit? That was far from a guarantee.

All it would take is them working on Arms and planning on making Mario Kart 9 for Switch. They move to MK9 after Arms and as it gets into development they realize Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would be enough, but since they're already into development they keep going. Bam, Mario Kart 9 happens on Switch.

I don't think it's necessarily what we will see from the team, but I do think it's a possibility.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I talk about an MK8D expansion, I go back to this.

This was so professionally well done that if you told me this was real, I would believe it. Just imagine...

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bit of a weird statement when the game is on track to become the best-selling exclusive game that wasn't bundled with almost every system (that is, Wii Sports). That's more than impressive even for a new game, let alone a port!
it was a joke. sorry. Still waiting for the switch to get its own MK game.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Put👏 Wario👏 Ware👏 Characters👏 Already👏
And a diamond City track that is not only bound to the shitty arcade version.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I want a season pass for MK8DX and next iteration of MK should launch withing the first 6 months of next generation of Switch or whatever they make.

This is just printing too much money for them... while I'd like a new MK, give me a season pass of 10+ tracks I'm good.

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a new Mario Kart, but honestly, if they just went the Season Pass route with this game out of the blue, I'd be happy with that, too.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify, the 23 million figure doesn't include Mario Kart 8 sales from the Wii U, right?

Meaning the total sales from MK8 across all platforms is closer to 30 million?

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Seriously Nintendo, just drop some DLC in 2020, and I'll be fine without a new Mario Kart until the Switch 2.

Likewise.

As someone who played the Wii U and Mario Kart 8 and the two individual characters/tracks expansion a lot, I was a little bit bored of playing exactly the same game on the Switch, save for a better 'Battle Mode'.

Heck, they could quite happily charge $10 for four tracks (two new and two retro) and a couple of characters, and they'd be laughing all the way to the bank, like so:

wario-bag-of-gold.jpg

Just to clarify, the 23 million figure doesn't include Mario Kart 8 sales from the Wii U, right?

Meaning the total sales from MK8 across all platforms is closer to 30 million?

The two versions are definitely over 30 million combined, yes.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Likewise.

As someone who played the Wii U and Mario Kart 8 and the two individual characters/tracks expansion a lot, I was a little bit bored of playing exactly the same game on the Switch, save for a better 'Battle Mode'.

Heck, they could quite happily charge $10 for four tracks (two new and two retro) and a couple of characters, and they'd be laughing all the way to the bank, like so:

wario-bag-of-gold.jpg

The two versions are definitely over 30 million combined, yes.

I'd honestly be fine if the Mario Kart team (EPD 9) was only working on an expansion to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (it has to be a big expansion though, 16-24 tracks, 4-8 new characters, maybe a new mode or items) and Nintendogs. Just give me that Mario Kart content!

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't undermine the thesis that a game could sell better under entirely different circumstances though. The 22m on Switch are as relevant as another potential 30m+ if it released on PS4 or PC.

The Wii U userbase was very low and things weren't looking good, so it wasn't reasonable to assume that Nintendo would figure their life out, release their most popular console (launched-aligned) of all time in 3 years, and then re-release a deluxe version of MK8 that sells well.

Edit: but you and others are correct that the prediction ended up wrong, bc it outsold others on the Wii U alone. I still don't think it was an unreasonable prediction in light of the poor performance of the Wii U. So the author is wrong, I just don't think he's crazy, foolish wrong.
He's not foolish to think that Mario Kart 8 could've ended up selling less than other entries because of the Wii U's momentum. It's just that almost every avenue he em went about rationalizing it was wildly inaccurate. He's also foolish in double downing on his prediction even when It launched to record sales speed.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I would also love DLC and it just makes sense. I was actually thinking perhaps they make it this years Tetris 99...as in the free thing that's included with Nintendo Online as they are still trying to boost subscribers and that way the player base won't be fragmented etc

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
EXPANSION PASS THIS SHIT

Great idea

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
EXPANSION PASS THIS SHIT

Nah. I've been playing the same Mario kart for what? 6 years now? Time for a change. I'm bored of it. I would've been happy with more expansions years ago, but now I want something fresh. Bring on MK9. The Wii U owners got screwed big time.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Nah. I've been playing the same Mario kart for what? 6 years now? Time for a change. I'm bored of it. I would've been happy with more expansions years ago, but now I want something fresh. Bring on MK9. The Wii U owners got screwed big time.

I feel like we're not getting MK9 until the Switch 2.

I'd also like some more incentives and unlocks to grind out when playing online. Doesn't have to be a CTR-like battle pass but something other than acquiring meaningless points that don't do anything.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Mariokart 8 is basically the perfect kart racing game imo , I can't think of anytbing substantial improvements other then better online and more content .

Having said that I would love if they expanded the roster to a smash bros roster size and maybe even the staggering number of themed levels from smash bros

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With numbers like that Nintendo would be foolish not to port the rest of the Wii U exclusives. Damn. Thing is MK9 in the same gen would be a bit much unless they revive Double Dash. I'd settle for a roster and track boost via DLC like a Street Fighter update or something.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Mariokart 8 is basically the perfect kart racing game imo , I can't think of anytbing substantial improvements other then better online and more content .

Having said that I would love if they expanded the roster to a smash bros roster size and maybe even the staggering number of themed levels from smash bros

I would honestly not be surprised if MK9 turned out to be like a Mario Kart Ultimate scenario.

Oct 27, 2017
Put👏 Wario👏 Ware👏 Characters👏 Already👏
And a diamond City track that is not only bound to the shitty arcade version.
God, Why not, Nintendo?!?
If there is one big thing that I'd want future MK games to lift from Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled it's the creative and celebratory roster of characters from all over the franchise's history.

Like, why the fuck don't we have Wario Ware characters like Mona Pizza, Ashley, and 9-Volt? Why don't we have other fun EU Mario characters like Wart, Goombella, Mimi, Lord Crump, Rawk Hawk, Captain Syrup, or Stanley the Bugman?
Nintendo being so conservative and creatively bankrupt with MK's roster will never cease to be disappointing. Especially when one considers the amount of money MK makes for them and its ludicrous brand power.
I doubt anybody but two guys on Era would be like "I ain't buying this garbage!" If they replaced Pink Gold Peach or Baby Daisy with Tatanga and a spaceship kart...sigh

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
God, Why not, Nintendo?!?
If there is one big thing that I'd want future MK games to lift from Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled it's the creative and celebratory roster of characters from all over the franchise's history.

Like, why the fuck don't we have Wario Ware characters like Mona Pizza, Ashley, and 9-Volt? Why don't we have other fun EU Mario characters like Wart, Goombella, Mimi, Lord Crump, Rawk Hawk, Captain Syrup, or Stanley the Bugman?
Nintendo being so conservative and creatively bankrupt with MK's roster will never cease to be disappointing. Especially when one considers the amount of money MK makes for them and its ludicrous brand power.
I doubt anybody but two guys on Era would be like "I ain't buying this garbage!" If they replaced Pink Gold Peach or Baby Daisy with Tatanga and a spaceship kart...sigh
Becuase they prefer adding babies :(

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't undermine the thesis that a game could sell better under entirely different circumstances though. The 22m on Switch are as relevant as another potential 30m+ if it released on PS4 or PC.

The Wii U userbase was very low and things weren't looking good, so it wasn't reasonable to assume that Nintendo would figure their life out, release their most popular console (launched-aligned) of all time in 3 years, and then re-release a deluxe version of MK8 that sells well.

Edit: but you and others are correct that the prediction ended up wrong, bc it outsold others on the Wii U alone. I still don't think it was an unreasonable prediction in light of the poor performance of the Wii U. So the author is wrong, I just don't think he's crazy, foolish wrong.
I didn't say the author was a fool for thinking WiiU lack of success limited the WiiU games' sales potential because that's obviously true.
He was a fool for thinking there is a way to predict a constant attach rate.
In the end MK8 on WiiU had an attach rate which was more than thrice what he assumed which is why he was so off.
Though it wasn't the only reason why that article get laugh off, some of the charts in there are meaningless.