• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fell off the game, the groundhog day started to grate on me, and the exploration was good at first, curiosity was being satisfied but the codex parsing and lack of QoL mechanics to prevent you from redoing and rescanning areas wore me down.

Liked the concept, but I couldn't continue.

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
You're god damn right, OP. I love traditional narratives in video games (The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, and Metal Gear Solid 3 are some of my top 10 or so games of all time), but playing Outer Wilds I couldn't help but think that it was the best execution of storytelling in interactive media that I've ever experienced. It's my favorite game to come out since Bloodborne in 2015.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The story execution is really good but man I wish there was like a god mode after beating it to instantly go wherever and read all the text logs. I keep forgetting things like the aliens' names and stuff and who's dating how and who is related

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I always say this, but I think it's a fun fact.
The developer Mobius Games was founded by Masi OKa , who you may recognise from Heroes or Scrubs
440px-Masi_Oka_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How is this compared to NMS? I assume the difference is that NMS is much more focused on resource gathering to craft a bunch of shit to utilize as you explore, whereas Outer Wilds is a much more streamlined, laid back experience?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
That's is just the tutorial section, the game doesn't save in the traditional way, as part of it's design. Dying is an integral part of the game.
Once you are past that you will see how the save system works, that's all I will say.
Ah, thanks! I'm reinstalling it and gives it another chance.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
How is this compared to NMS? I assume the difference is that NMS is much more focused on resource gathering to craft a bunch of shit to utilize as you explore, whereas Outer Wilds is a much more streamlined, laid back experience?
Definitely wouldn't call it laid back.

Outer Wilds is Myst-like, actually quite scary and stressful sometimes

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Great game. Although I got a bit frustrated with the puzzles towards the end. It's one of those games that doesn't seem like much at first, but wow it gets intense as you dive further.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Such a great experience and awesome and interesting story told in an awesome way. There's really no wrong way to play it and anyone looking for exploration without the hand-holding - this is your game!

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Very Different.
NMS is a survival game as you say in an infinite universe.

The Outer Wilds has you piloting, walking and jetpacking around an immaculately designed, intimately sized Solar System. Getting the know the nooks and cranny of each moon, planet and object becomes a big part of the game.
If you've ever felt open world fatigue, then this is the perfect cure, as there is no repetition and the joy of the game is getting to know where everything in this "small" space is.
The variety of environments, which are tightly knotted to the level design are sublime.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020

Outer Wilds it's a narrative game, the only resources you have are Oxygen, Time and Knowledge. You have too play with Oxygen and Time while exploring to gain Knowledge. It could get really intense.

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
The single best exploration-focused game ever made imo. Hope they can make a sequel eventually.

synthplynth

Oct 29, 2017
Does it play well on console or is the optimal experience on PC?

Controls are so so on console - personally I found flying the ship in space especially frustrating. Also be aware that this is a walking simulator game as far as the core gameplay loop. If you don't like those you will not like this game either.

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
I like that it's like a metroid-viena, but instead of getting power-ups to get into locked off areas, you gain knowledge.

I loved the game but i stated to get burnt out near the end of my play-though. One of the mechanics in the game is waiting, and I was annoyed that I had to wait several minutes before I can try to do the thing I wanted to do, and if I messed up I had to do it all over again. I finally broke down and watched a you-tube to finish it.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
If I could experience any game for the first time again it would be Outer Wilds.

One of the greatest games I've ever played. First game to ever bring a tear to my eye.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Controls are so so on console - personally I found flying the ship in space especially frustrating. Also be aware that this is a walking simulator game as far as the core gameplay loop. If you don't like those you will not like this game either.

How is it a walking simulator?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Is this coming to Switch?

I see a game called The Outer Worlds is coming soon.... Not Wilds.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed most of my time with it but I would get frustrated when I could not figure out the certain things. The very last thing I needed to figure out was required for the ending and i was getting increasingly upset so eventually I looked it up, and just did it and went into the ending pissed off. Still a great game but that frustration lessened it for me. Brilliantly designed game though.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just yelling into the echo chamber, but this game is absolutely amazing.

I love Baba is You so much so it's hard to say if that or OW was my GOTY, but either would win if they'd been released in previous years.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I put like 20 hours in, then I kept falling trying to find the hanging city and I just couldnt do it anymore. Then I built a new PC and it doesnt have cloud saves for some reason so I have to start over.

Cool game, but hitting a wall where you keep falling through the black hole trying to just figure out where to go ruined it for me.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
A really incredible game. No other game I've ever played came close to nailing exploration like outer wilds did. I hope the team stick together, and brings us something similar, because the world needs another outer wild.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Obligatory main theme link to make everyone emotional looking back on their great experience with the game:

God DAMN, even though it's only a minute long, the way the theme ties in to your adventure brings me back to that sense of amazement and satisfaction I felt right before the credits roll every time. Amazing theme, amazing game.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
When I beat this game I became sad that I could not replay it and get the same experience again. One of the best games I've ever played, easily the best this gen.

no other game made me feel the way this did and it single handedly proved video game's place as a story telling device and what can be done with interactive story telling that cannot be done in any other medium.