• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
6d2.jpg
If anyone's interested, Janet Hsu who is the AA series' localization director has done some really great blog posts and writeups on the experience of localizing the series. They did a great job with Japanifornia.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen those ones too but that doesn't come to mind first. Idk my teacher said that jap and those other two were all common abbreviations. I'll take her word ,as she was from Japan, over yours. Who cares neither one of us is gonna move an inch so this was pointless.
That is pretty much exclusively an American thing. It's a product of the guilt over the internment and general racist persecution of the Japanese in America. Nobody blinks at a "Jap Pumpkin" over here. But something like "Abbo" carries a negative implication due to racism against Aborigine peoples.

All you had to do was do a Wikipedia search for some sources. Of those I found, neither came from US-based publications.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/treaty-plan-could-end-korean-war-20031106-gdwonu.html
Mr Kim said he had decided to use "Japs" in retaliation for a Japanese diplomat calling his country North Korea, rather than its official name of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Japan's deputy ambassador, Yoshiyuki Motomurea, said "Japs" was derogatory. He said the use of "North Korea" was a geographical concept, and not intended as a derogatory term.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2011/04/letters-229/
Not acceptable

Sir: I refer to the article by Rod Liddle in the 26 March edition of The Spectator. Although the focus of the article is on the events unfolding in Libya, Mr Liddle makes passing mention of the recent disaster in Japan, including use of the expression 'white-coated Jap bloke'. May I point out that most Japanese people find the word 'Jap' offensive, irrespective of the circumstances in which it is used. At a time when many people in Japan have had their lives devastated by the earthquake and tsunami, while others are working tirelessly to secure the safety of the stricken nuclear plant in Fukushima at considerable risk to themselves, I find the gratuitous use of a word reviled by everyone in Japan utterly inappropriate. I strongly request that you refrain from allowing the use of this term in any future articles that refer to Japan.

Ken Okaniwa
Minister, Embassy of Japan, London W1

Oct 27, 2017
That is pretty much exclusively an American thing. It's a product of the guilt over the internment and general racist persecution of the Japanese in America. Nobody blinks at a "Jap Pumpkin" over here. But something like "Abbo" carries a negative implication due to racism against Aborigine peoples.
Ding ding. Japanese people don't seem to care as much as epic internet guilt ridden people do.

elgato

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's probably all white washing, given that I think the reverse doesn't happen? i.e. Western media into Asian countries don't get names and characters and settings "localized". At most they'll use the local alphabet to approximate the name in the translation, but it's still basically the same Western name.

The closest thing I can actually think of is maybe some of the censorship in games when dealing with China. But that doesn't fundamentally change the culture of the game, just removing things the government deems "offensive"

I don't know if this is common in Asian countries because I don't really seek out foreign adaptations of media originally produced in a language I understand, but this is not exclusive to the English speaking world. The Arabic channel Spacetoon is notorious for hyper localizing every show they run. Names and locations are all changed to something local. Anything they'd deem offensive gets snipped out. As far as I'm aware, they're still doing this.

The deep scrub localization practice has largely fallen out of the western world. The new Captain Tsubasa is Captain Tsubasa in countries where it used to be Oliver y Benji, Holly e Benji, Flash Kicker, Super Champions, etc. OP's complaints are largely limited to just a small handful of never-ending children's IPs that started when this was common. You're probably always going to have children's IPs retooled for specific markets. Heck, Paw Patrol, a Canadian cartoon produced in English, gets dubbed over for British audiences. Similarly, Bob the Builder and Thomas the Tank Engine, British cartoons produced in English, get dubbed over for North American audiences.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's probably all white washing, given that I think the reverse doesn't happen? i.e. Western media into Asian countries don't get names and characters and settings "localized". At most they'll use the local alphabet to approximate the name in the translation, but it's still basically the same Western name.

The closest thing I can actually think of is maybe some of the censorship in games when dealing with China. But that doesn't fundamentally change the culture of the game, just removing things the government deems "offensive"
English to Japanese name changes are as old as Meiji era Sherlock Holmes..... or should I say Tairoku Komuro

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the earlier days I get why they would change the name due to cart space and other shit but in in this day and age, there's really little point in changing the name.

A lot of westerners aren't gonna know how to say Takahashi or Miyamoto etc. Eventually all these "strange" names just bleed together and you lose track.

The only reason westerner find the name "strange" is because they aren't used to it and don't even bother to try. But you know what? it's freaking 2019 and if they can pronounce T''challa, Goku, Gohan, Ryu and dance to songs like Gangnam style, that they probably don't even know what the lyrics are, then they can take the time to at least other people name. And say this as a South Asian who was born and raised in the west and had to endure people mispronouncing and misspelling my name.

Heck my co-worker asked me how to pronounce my name as she was worried that she was pronouncing it wrong and she's freaking old with grey hairs and shit. If she can do it then so can everyone one else.

I know it sounds stupid that's actually the reason why I haven't gotten round to playing the Phoenix Wright series, it's so obvious that it's set in Japan.

A child raised in America can much more easily remember and pronounce the name "Ash" than "Satoshi"

A child is capable of learning how to pronounce Satoshi.

Oct 27, 2017
In the earlier days I get why they would change the name due to cart space and other shit but in in this day and age, there's really little point in changing the name.

The only reason westerner find the name "strange" is because they aren't used to it and don't even bother to try. But you know what? it's freaking 2019 and if they can pronounce T''challa, Goku, Gohan, Ryu and dance to songs like Gangnam style, that they probably don't even know what the lyrics are, then they can take the time to at least other people name. And say this as a South Asian who was born and raised in the west and had to endure people mispronouncing and misspelling my name.

Heck my co-worker asked me how to pronounce my name as she was worried that she was pronouncing it wrong and she's freaking old with grey hairs and shit. If she can do it then so can everyone one else.

I know it sounds stupid that's actually the reason why I haven't gotten round to playing the Phoenix Wright series, it's so obvious that it's set in Japan.

A child is capable of learning how to pronounce Satoshi.
Obviously their not used to it, that's why its localized. The localizer is trying to make it easy to digest and familiar. Most people aren't trying to get a fucking vocab lesson from DBZ especially children. Kids wanna see buff guys fighting and screaming. Sorry you weren't given the same treatment in your country but a lot of countries get pandered to. It's all to make the most cheese.

Edit: Misread I see you grew up in the west. I mean yeah as a minority you have to adapt more than the majority. Its how it is. Also I don't think learning fictional characters names and someone you have to interact with are the same.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

I still wouldn't say it to my mom's face. So weird how people justify slurs.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

If it helps uphold the willing suspension of disbelief, the people who worked on localization reasoned a headcanon for the series that the game takes place in a world where anti-Japanese immigration laws never went into effect in California, and as such Japan and Japanese culture became heavily integrated into society, hence stuff like Kurain Village etc. being so casually inserted.

A few things like ramen = burgers admittedly didn't age well but then you gotta remember this was localized back in 2005 when a lot of the west still thought of ramen as cheap junk food. Nowadays though they make up for it by saying characters like Maya love both burgers and ramen.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

Chiko & Rosetta is so much better! Though the Italian name is pretty good too.

I will say that, I get what you're driving at OP but this isn't really exclusive to America. You could maybe argue that America is most guilty of it but stuff like Batman has totally had Japanese based versions of Batman made for Japanese audiences. Then there's stuff like the TMNT anime, PowerPuff Girls Z, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero was renamed to Action Force in the UK... when you start digging there are definitely examples of this stuff happening elsewhere and I guess some of those examples are a bit different in that they're not modifying an existing show to be based in the country they're airing in but rather they're making a original version of a show specifically for that country... which is arguably a much more extreme version of what you're talking about OP. Either way, I think it seems a little extreme/incorrect to call this white washing.

Jul 3, 2018
How in the world is localization a form of white washing?

Maybe that's too strong of a question.

Honestly things get translated because cultures are different. Some Japanese meanings do either get jumbled or erased entirely. I wouldn't call that white washing though.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
OP if you think changing Fushigidane to Bulbasaur is whitewashing than neither I, nor God, can help you.

Oct 27, 2017
The changes 4Kids made to Pokemon were just bizarre to me. I could understand changing of names to an extent, as some would either be hard to pronounce/remember or were puns and references that wouldn't be applicable (like how Satoshi -> Ash, Shigeru -> Gary being based on Satoshi Tajiri's "rivalry" with Shigeru MIyamoto), but the complete erasure of Japanese culture seemed almost as if they thought it was offensive or something. Like kids couldn't possibly understand the concept of onigiri/rice balls yet were able to see Erika wearing a kimono just fine

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I think changing names in Childrens shows is fine. Little kids can barely speak their own language

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Ding ding. Japanese people don't seem to care as much as epic internet guilt ridden people do.
Japanese people from Japan and Japanese Americans have different feelings on matters such as this. Ostensibly because one group is a minority in their country while the other is the vast vast majority in theirs.

It's really not that hard to not use it. I would give you the benefit of ignorance, but it seems you went out of your way to justify using it.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like their localizing games for only white people, OP. They're doing it for a bunch of people from a different region of the world with different culture and language. Calling localization "white washing" is just wrong, this type of work is also aimed for black people, brown, et al too.

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese people from Japan and Japanese Americans have different feelings on matters such as this. Ostensibly because one group is a minority in their country while the other is the vast vast majority in theirs.

It's really not that hard to not use it. I would give you the benefit of ignorance, but it seems you went out of your way to justify using it.
I'll justify a basic abbreviation when people freak out and immediately assume I'm using it as a slur yeah. I mean this whole exercise is futile as though I could ever actually change someone's immediate knee jerk conclusion. It was a pointless but fun enough dialogue.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Localization (eg changing or remaking a story) for a domestic audience is not white washing. It happens for foreign content that is brought to the US, and it happens for US content that is brought overseas. It happens with content that moves between countries in Asia. It happens with content that moves between countries in Europe.

Whitewashing is keeping the story, but simply changing the race of the main characters.

When did I say that? It's just an example of how it's an understood abbreviation.

No, it's not an "understood abbreviation." JPN and JP are "understood abbreviations" for Japan and Japanese. Jap is an understood slur.

Yes. The random guy on the Internet knows more about how Japanese people feel than Japanese citizens from the Embassy quoted just a few posts above.

You don't often see someone so blatantly double down on their right to use racial slurs. Do we even want to ask what "understood abbreviation" you use to refer to people with brown skin?

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
They just change the language, some names, and material so people in other countries can relate. You mentioned Spirited Away - that is already a fantastic film that flexes the mind with its fantasy, but some of the lore is uniquely Japanese and people in the UK or USA or wherever just wouldn't get it. I mean, it's not like it's hispanic-washing when they localize media for Mexico, for example. It's just localization.

Everything described in this post is like the definition of whitewashing. There are, in fact, Japanese people born and raised in America and other countries, and if people think their names are weird, maybe it would help if all the characters in a major property like Pokemon had similar names!

Like, the phenomenon described in the OP is absolutely some of the most cut and dried whitewashing I can think of.

Oct 27, 2017
Everything described in this post is like the definition of whitewashing. There are, in fact, Japanese people born and raised in America and other countries, and if people think their names are weird, maybe it would help if all the characters in a major property like Pokemon had similar names!

Like, the phenomenon described in the OP is absolutely some of the most cut and dried whitewashing I can think of.
Like, I think this notion is so fundamentally misguided I don't know where to start.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017

How? Every country does that, do you think Deadpool being called Masacre is whitewashing, hell even biblical names change for some countries

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

No, white washing is literally white washing. Not slightly changing names for localization.

Also, oh, I didn't know other asian people like me were also born in the USA too. I thought I was the only one, with family members that change their names to more western-sounding names. Learn something new every day.

Oct 27, 2017
You could start at the beginning! What is whitewashing if this isn't it?
Whitewashing has several definitions, the most relevant being whitewashing in film. Whitewashing in film occurs when a studio casts a role to a white actor that should have conceivably gone the an actor of color. Sometimes the white actor is in black/brown/yellowface. Sometimes the role is rewritten from the source material (a real life event or book, for example) to be a white character. In the case of Ghost in the Shell, they created a lead character who was born Japanese but erased her memories and placed her in a white presenting android body. This term is not entirely appropriate to your argument. A better term for it would be cultural erasure. However, the fact that production companies pay translation companies to do this work makes that argument... difficult.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think of the delineation that I spelled out a few posts above?

Not really convinced, sorry. You seemed to say that "changing the story for a local audience" is ok. Here's the problem: changing a name from "Satoshi" to "Ash" amounts to changing the race of the character. So, logically, you are saying that the local audience needs characters of the "wrong" race to be changed.

In real terms, that means racist white people don't like stuff with nonwhite main characters, so it's ok to change the characters. Well, I say fuck everything about that.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Whitewashing has several definitions, the most relevant being whitewashing in film. Whitewashing in film occurs when a studio casts a role to a white actor that should have conceivably gone the an actor of color. Sometimes the white actor is in black/brown/yellowface. Sometimes the role is rewritten from the source material (a real life event or book, for example) to be a white character. In the case of Ghost in the Shell, they created a lead character who was born Japanese but erased her memories and placed her in a white presenting android body. This term is not entirely appropriate to your argument. A better term for it would be cultural erasure. However, the fact that production companies pay translation companies to do this work makes that argument... difficult.

Hmm. I'm not sure there's really an accepted definition of the term. You do know that the actual word "whitewash" means a kind of white paint, right? That suggests that "whitewashing" as a cultural thing just means painting over a nonwhite character with white European skin. That's pretty much what's happening here.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The Pokemon cartoon is a fucking toy commercial, not a documentary about cultural understanding. Just like GI joe, Transformers, and He-man before it.

The owners of the IP want children to instantly know what's going on and focus on the cool stuff they can ask their parents to buy for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. I'm not sure there's really an accepted definition of the term. You do know that the actual word "whitewash" means a kind of white paint, right? That suggests that "whitewashing" as a cultural thing just means painting over a nonwhite character with white European skin. That's pretty much what's happening here.
You can google it to see plenty of definitions. Whitewashing fences, as a term for censorship, making models look whiter to conform to white beauty standards, and white washing in film. The OP called it whitewashing because that was the best term he could think of for the concept in his head. In common usage any definition of whitewashing will be adjacent to that concept at best. That's why I offered the term "cultural erasure." This is all irrelevant to the actual discussion though, which is that localizing names and other cultural markers to better market to other countries and language groups is inherently wrong. I say it's not (within reason) because the owners of the media are paying people to do exactly that.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Localization (eg changing or remaking a story) for a domestic audience is not white washing. It happens for foreign content that is brought to the US, and it happens for US content that is brought overseas. It happens with content that moves between countries in Asia. It happens with content that moves between countries in Europe.

We're not talking about remakes. What Western game brought to Asia gets their characters changed to be Asian with Asian names in an Asian setting in the same way that happens for Asian games brought to the West?

Oct 27, 2017
We're not talking about remakes. What Western game brought to Asia gets their characters changed to be Asian with Asian names in an Asian setting in the same way that happens for Asian games brought to the West?
It's happened before. See the infamous localization of Revelations: Persona for the PSX that included literal whitewashing for character portraits, as well as making the "class clown" character black (who's starting persona wore a grass skirt and wielded a spear.) It was bad. But it does provide a good example for what I'd argue to be actual whitewashing in video games.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
From your examples it seems that it's made for kids to understand it better. You don't have to explain whatever the fuck sushi is to a 5 year old.
WHAT?! Are you serious? At 5 years old, it's the most important time to make your kid learn that they are not alone in the world and everybody has different perceptions, values and whatnot. You can't spare 2 minutes to say "Oh darlin', it's just a dish made of fish they eat in Japan". How is that hard to say?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still wouldn't say it to my mom's face. So weird how people justify slurs.
The line between reducing national identities to 1-2 syllables and using said syllables as a slur is a brittle and contextual one. The issues around "Jap" are deeply rooted in US/Japanese relations. It goes without saying that racism against Japan and internment happened in Australia and New Zealand, too. But let's be realistic. America has 1.3 million Japanese people. Australia has 30,000. Australia and other countries didn't occupy Japan. DIdn't nuke Japan. Didn't humiliate the country and its citizens in such a direct way.

"Jap" is a very rare and unusual case. The whole Nipponese/Japanese thing has always been strange because we referred to the people of Nippon using a Chinese distortion of their name. The terms "Nip" and "Jap" arose naturally as shortened forms, without any malicious intent. (Any word that ends in "t" or "p" or similar sounds feels natural to say.) The stigmatization of "Jap" is rooted in American hate campaigns during WWII which were of great ferocity and bile followed by American bombing and occupying Japan. There's a reason the term quickly became taboo in American in particular. A perfectly normal word shortening -- the most logical and natural way of shortening the word that is going to recur over and over, especially in dialects of English that shorten words for the sake of it -- became taboo in America, and American influence spread this taboo.

Countries like Australia, the UK, and others had Japanese populations measured in the low thousands. For the average person, "Jap" ended up being applied to Japanese PRODUCTS, not Japanese individuals. Jap Cars, Jap Bikes, Jap Pumpkins. These terms are widely used today in Australia and NZ and find usage in various commonwealth countries. The extent to which they are used depends on how American-influenced your language is, basically.

The rise of the internet has made this kinda delicate. There are a lot of words and expressions that are completely benign in one language, one dialect, one culture, that are varying degrees of offensive in another. The internet is very US dominated. As a result, things that are offensive in the American context tend to be viewed as offensive on the internet at large.

In the interests of peace and civility online it is generally wise to try and use neutral terminology. If someone, somewhere is going to be offended by what you say, do think about saying it differently. For example, in British English, calling someone a fruitcake is normal. In American English it sometimes seen as offensive. But when I go to the store to buy a pumpkin for pumpkin soup, I am buying a Jap Pumpkin. That is its name. And there is zero racism attached to the name. When I need replacement parts for an old Japanese car, I go to JustJap, or JapParts. Those stores are so named because they sell parts for "Jap" cars.

Some people will try to equate this to "Abbo Auto" or something equally offensive. But calling a car from Japan a Jap car wasn't born of racism or derogatory sentiment. Importantly, it never gained such associations. Calling these (highly desirable) cars "Japanese Cars" was a mouthful. "Jap" was used because it's the first three letters of Japan.

The reason "Abbo" -- which was once a completely innocent expression -- is seen as a slur in the Australian context is because racism against indigenous Australians is alive and well today. It's an ongoing issue. We stole their land and ruined their future, and the least we can do for the time being is refer to them as "Aborigines", "Indigenous Australians", and "Koori", depending on formality. The context of words does matter. Where they are said. When they are said. At some point in the future when the native peoples of Australia are no longer an oppressed minority, perhaps "Abbo" will reenter polite society. For now it is taboo and people essentially demonstrate their consideration for the rightful owners of the country by declining to use it.

America's relationship with Japan is very unique because America mass-interned, bombed, and occupied them. There's a very specific context there that has tainted all informal words to describe the people of Japan. It's not just "Jap". There are zero polite nicknames for the inhabitants of countries the Americans stormed around in with their tanks. We have no polite nicknames for the Vietnamese. For the Koreans. For the various Arab countries. Everything is tainted by racism mixed with war. Using "Japan" as a full word is a form of respect for a country and a people that America did some very, very bad things to. Is this guilt projected onto the world at large? Yes. But the internet is a bad place for such nuances, and playing it safe is often best.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
The best way to get people to accept other cultures is probably exposing them to it, I would think.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My work makes a game with a ton of creatures in it. We localize all of the names to the regions we support. So that the puns in the name make sense in that language.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
You can google it to see plenty of definitions. Whitewashing fences, as a term for censorship, making models look whiter to conform to white beauty standards, and white washing in film. The OP called it whitewashing because that was the best term he could think of for the concept in his head. In common usage any definition of whitewashing will be adjacent to that concept at best. That's why I offered the term "cultural erasure." This is all irrelevant to the actual discussion though, which is that localizing names and other cultural markers to better market to other countries and language groups is inherently wrong. I say it's not (within reason) because the owners of the media are paying people to do exactly that.

I say it is inherently wrong, because it is not victimless. Right now some American kid called Satoshi is getting laughed at for his funny name, and he wouldn't be if the star character in Pokémon was also called that.

Oct 28, 2017
While this is really only tangential to the OP's argument (I think that localising is fine in given circumstances), I find a lot of localisations that completely changes major aspects of a show or film such as the scene structure, music, characterisation or themes, or making heavy edits – not necessarily for censorship reasons, but to, for example, completely alter the narrative, because the localisor, executive or whichever party involved deem their own vision to be better than the original – do sometimes come off to me as misguided, if not extremely arrogant or even outright xenophobic towards their creators (especially when it was done without the licensors/creators approval).

Obviously this is a pretty extreme and almost obsolete practice, but it permeated in localisations of the '80s and a sizeable amount of the '90s and early '00s. OP's example of 4Kids Pokemon during Advanced Generation would be one, but there were a bunch of bad if not worse ones under their umbrella (One Piece being the most infamous).

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I remember this came up in a thread about the live action adaptation for "Your Name" that Hollywood is doing and people initially were throwing whitewashing around for that, but then an interview came out that detailed how all the "changes" and "choices" people thought were whitewashing were actually requests by the original Japanese owners of the source materials in consulting for the adaptation.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
what the fuck lol. I guess my perception is skewed because stuff like Dragon Ball, MHA, JoJo, Mob, all have very faithful and accurate dubs now.

Ehhhhhhhh. If I understand what the OP is talking about, Dragon Ball really doesn't fit here either. Almost every single character name has been changed and westernized.

Bejita, Kurririn, Gokuu, Toppo, Saiyajin, Buruma and the list goes on. Even the super dub isn't 1:1 with the Japanese version because although its more accurate than their original Funimation Dub because of how Goku has been characterized over the years they simply couldn't go completely the underway and turn him into a total country bumpkin

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I say it is inherently wrong, because it is not victimless. Right now some American kid called Satoshi is getting laughed at for his funny name, and he wouldn't be if the star character in Pokémon was also called that.

Some kid in American called Satoshi is probably getting death threats from a bunch of crypto people who lost 90% of their portfolio value