• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aloy38

Jul 31, 2020
I've changed the Xbox hdmi input to PC as suggested - but does the label have to remain as "PC" or can I edit it to say "Xbox", while technically still being the PC input? (Hope that question makes sense!)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Came across this vid. Has alot of side to side comparisons between DTM, HGIG and DV. And Forza in HDR is good for to compare the settings also

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
A bit OT, but if you're looking for the best Wireless Headset ever made for both music, movies and games to pair to an XSX/XSS, a PS5 or PC have a look at this post (quotes to read first).

They're the Penrose X
You'll find my Suggested Settings for them too there ;)

Cheers,
-P

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. I'm still laughing about its Sharpness conspiracy theories.

I'm probably cursing myself and his awful videos will start cropping up again, but I went out of my way to try and stop his crap appearing on my feed, and only since YT has done away with thumbs down not showing has my downvoting had any effect, and now I'm Quantum free lol, it is unbelievable how many people take on his advice, literally skewing their interpretation of what good PQ actually is/isn't! His latest thing I saw was to tell people not to use HDR as SDR offers far better picture quality, showing washed out video etc 🤣

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
A bit OT, but if you're looking for the best Wireless Headset ever made for both music, movies and games to pair to an XSX/XSS, a PS5 or PC have a look at this post (quotes to read first).

They're the Penrose X
You'll find my Suggested Settings for them too there ;)

Cheers,
-P
Cheers! Didn't know about these eq settings. Such a big difference to my standard 0 on all haha.
BTW do you know what sidetone is doing? I left it off.

The update to 0.1.1.2 which came out now earlier in December fixed the woshing sound for mine in the left ear cup so like my Penrose X a lot now.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Cheers! Didn't know about these eq settings. Such a big difference to my standard 0 on all haha.
BTW do you know what sidetone is doing? I left it off.

The update to 0.1.1.2 which came out now earlier in December fixed the woshing sound for mine in the left ear cup so like my Penrose X a lot now.
Sidetone is basically Mic monitoring, where you can hear yourself without shouting while talking. I always leave it on for chattting and just put the mic in mute when not.

I'm so happy with these headset so far.

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
So should I be using pc mode on my CX when playing my series x?
you can get 444 chrome but you're not really gonna be able to tell a difference in any content on xbox basically
if you don't use your xbox for any kind of media, there really isn't any downside to doing it though

Hazuki_X

Dec 11, 2021
you can get 444 chrome but you're not really gonna be able to tell a difference in any content on xbox basically
if you don't use your xbox for any kind of media, there really isn't any downside to doing it though
ok, thanks!

I had read on Avforums that pc mode provides a sharper image. Any truth to that?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
screenshot_20211023-1x3j3j.jpg

screenshot_20211023-1f6jzt.jpg

Hazuki_X Couple of shots I took, you should be able to tell which is PC and non :)

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
So after the latest update to my C1 OLED, PC mode seems to have a bit more input lag than Game mode. I switched randomly to Game mode (non-PC) just to check it out and immediately noticed it felt more responsive when moving the camera compared to PC mode. Both modes using Game optimizer.

Anyone else notice this? Or am I nuts? Also I don't see any banding on non-PC mode anymore. Go figure. Whoever posted that last comparison pic from the force awakens - what tv and firmware is that?

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I went back from PC to Game Console for the HDMI input recently. I think my reasoning was to try out OLED Motion Pro (or whatever BFI is called). I ended up disabling that again but didn't bother to go back to PC. Input delay seems about the same to me. The difference of 4:4:4 is unnoticeable to me. Not saying those screens are phoney but they aren't the same moment from the game, with different illumination in the scene.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Ever since the update on my B9 last week the screen will go darker for a few seconds and then back to normal, randomly. Noticed it during Netflix a lot.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
I just tried Valhalla on PS5 and I see the same banding (lots of it) on both PC mode and non-PC mode. It looks kinda washed out too. Not sure what's going on. Didn't notice this before. C1. Latest update.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I went back from PC to Game Console for the HDMI input recently. I think my reasoning was to try out OLED Motion Pro (or whatever BFI is called). I ended up disabling that again but didn't bother to go back to PC. Input delay seems about the same to me. The difference of 4:4:4 is unnoticeable to me. Not saying those screens are phoney but they aren't the same moment from the game, with different illumination in the scene.

It was the exposure on the phone, as to why it looks different, I can assure you they aren't dodgy, you just gotta do what works for you and your TV, for the CX and G1, it is very noticeable, could never go back to not using it, and also remember the only real difference you'll see is gradation smoothness, so if it's a block colour, or something without gradual gradients, you won't know.

I just tried Valhalla on PS5 and I see the same banding (lots of it) on both PC mode and non-PC mode. It looks kinda washed out too. Not sure what's going on. Didn't notice this before. C1. Latest update.

Change your settings etc, everything will default to different presets. I'll check later if lag has changed or not, with a measuring device.

Last edited:

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
The single biggest reason to use PC mode, is to reduce colour banding (smooth gradations) vs non PC.

This issue was fixed in the recent big firmware (the one that added 120Hz Dolby Vision). The banding on Game mode and PC mode is the same now. I agree that previously it was much better in PC mode.

With the banding fixed, and Dolby Vision not able to use 4:4:4 chroma in any mode due to bandwidth limitations, there's much less reason to use PC mode for the Xbox than there used to be. I guess it still gives you 4:4:4 in SDR?

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
This issue was fixed in the recent big firmware (the one that added 120Hz Dolby Vision). The banding on Game mode and PC mode is the same now. I agree that previously it was much better in PC mode.

With the banding fixed, and Dolby Vision not able to use 4:4:4 chroma in any mode due to bandwidth limitations, there's much less reason to use PC mode for the Xbox than there used to be. I guess it still gives you 4:4:4 in SDR?

There definitely was a major improvement when it came to DV and 120hz banding, which essentially made it the same as 60hz, I'll have another look later and check again to compare PC and non game, and stick another couple of screens up.

Last edited:

Denogginizer

Apr 14, 2019
I bought a new Yamaha A4A receiver and I have everything running through it before the tv. I cannot change the Input on my B9 to PC anymore. Anyone know anything about this?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a new Yamaha A4A receiver and I have everything running through it before the tv. I cannot change the Input on my B9 to PC anymore. Anyone know anything about this?
did you use an AVR before? i'm wondering if there's something funny going on with how the LG connects to a multi input AVR. when I have cec on, my avr with 4 inputs is seen as 1 input on the tv with the same picture profile. so anything plugged into the avr will have the same exact picture settings. the LG automatically detects I have an avr with multiple inputs however, and I wonder if it's doing the same for you, where CEC has identified that it's not a PC whatsoever

just speculation on my part. I don't know if the B9 gets a huge improvement with PC mode, but on the CX it's just easier to keep it off PC mode

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
There definitely was a major improvement when it came to DV and 120hz banding, which essentially made it the same as 60hz, I'll have another look later and check again to compare PC and non game, and stick another couple of screens up.

looking forward to your analysis. Spent all night comparing PC mode vs non-PC mode on the C1 with the latest update. Banding looks the same on both. And I feel input lag is now a bit lower on non-PC mode.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020

agreed. I can't see a difference in banding anymore on the latest update on C1.