• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Is there any reason why this is specific to 2017/18 OLED's? I have the 2019 C9 and would love to see something like the original post for it.
The 2017 model OLEDs were pretty much the flashpoint for mainstream OLED adoption, so a TON of people own that specific model. It's also the OLED model that needs the most work to make look good in HDR (compared to the 2018 and especially the 2019 models), as by default HDR game brightness is really poor.

ZaddyMattty

Dec 4, 2017
New York City
The 2017 model OLEDs were pretty much the flashpoint for mainstream OLED adoption, so a TON of people own that specific model. It's also the OLED model that needs the most work to make look good in HDR (compared to the 2018 and especially the 2019 models), as by default HDR game brightness is really poor.

I think this was the best answer to a question I have ever received. Thanks dude.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thank you mate. Since this game will be my main multiplayer game, i really appreciate it.
So, I tested the new Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in-game HDR settings for about 2 hours, and that's what I think looks best (when using Option 1b in the OP) :
  • HDR Brightness: 1.000;
  • HDR Black Point: 0.03;
  • HDR White Point: 0.83.
Dynamic range and luminance seems perfect with these, and generally the game seems to have a superb HDR implementation for now.

Side note: probably it also have the best and most immersive audio mix ever heard in a game, geeez! :D

EDIT: Settings updated and further improved. Also added to the first post.

Last edited:

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
So, I tested the new Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in-game HDR settings for about 2 hours, and that's what I think looks best (when using Option 1b in the OP) :
  • HDR Brightness: 1.125;
  • HDR Black Point: 0.00;
  • HDR White Point: 0.80.
Dynamic range and luminance seems perfect with these, and generally the game seems to have a superb HDR implementation for now.

Side note: probably it also have the best and most immersive audio mix ever heard in a game, geeez! :D

I almost nailed the settings ;). Time to start up campaign again, but its time to put on the turtle beach headset...

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019

Can you see the middle box for hdr blackpoint as I can only see it at 0.03

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019

I think 1.005 as I can't seem to get to 1.000 dead on
This to me seems ideal as with your settings the dusk and night look too bright

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Can you see the middle box for hdr blackpoint as I can only see it at 0.03
Yes, in a dark room.

I think 1.005 as I can't seem to get to 1.000 dead on
This to me seems ideal as with your settings the dusk and night look too bright
Setting HDR Brightness to the max will only tell the game how much bright your TV can get and if can tone map with higher nits when needed. HDR Game preset is optimized for higher nits content (4.000 nits by default, but can still display proper 10.000 nits masters), so the Luminance range you see is what Infinity Ward intended ;)

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Yes, in a dark room.

Setting HDR Brightness to the max will only tell the game how much bright your TV can get and if can tone map with higher nits when needed. HDR Game preset is optimized for higher nits content (4.000 nits by default, but can still display proper 10.000 nits masters), so the Luminance range you see is what Infinity Ward intended ;)
The piccadilly map with your settings looks far too bright it doesn't look natural it's meant to be dusk

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Try making and post an high-res photo directly of the TV in this scene.

It could be both a retention problem that can be fixed with Pixel Refreshes, or an hardware defect and you would need to replace the TV entirely.
Hi again

Apologies for not replying to this sooner.

I tried many times to get a photo of the issue in this scene, but the photos never really showed what i was seeing.

After a while i found i could see that the issue was clearly present in test screens on youtube, especially pink and presented like thick vertical bands that were slightly darker.

I ran these tests on the TV when i first got my B7 2 years ago and the screen was perfect. So this was something that sadly happened over time. Do you think it was burn in? It looks exactly like vertical banding (which i know can just be something that happens on certain panels) but i did not think this could appear over time?

Luckily i had a good warranty with my TV . It contacted the seller, and they took it away for a week and it returned today.

Everything looks perfect again. I do not know for sure , but i believe they replaced the screen.

Anyways, before sending it for repair i had to factory reset it (to convince them it was not caused by something i had done) so i was putting all of your settings in the various modes again.

I have the TV connected by 1 high speed HDMI to my AV receiver (which is 4k, HDR, DV, HDCP, complaint) and then i have my Apple TV (the latest one), my PS4 Pro and my Switch connected to the receiver. I have the Apple TV and PS4 Pro connected with High Speed HDMI cables.

For the first time i actually did the instillation of your DV profile using a USB stick. After doing this and following the settings, i found the picture to be quite dark when viewing DV content but i found using the DV Game profile to produce quite unnatural colors. Is there a setting i can adjust to make the picture any brighter on the cinema profile without throwing everything off? I didn't want to just increase the brightness in case that invalidates your profile and the other settings.

As always, thank you so much for all your information here and your time and help.

Additional info, i used:
webOS + SDR Calibrated Settings for SDR content on my Apple TV

webOS + HDR Calibrated Settings for HDR content on my Apple TV

webOS + Dolby Vision Calibrated Settings for DV content on my Apple TV

Xbox One X + SDR Calibrated Settings Option 1 for SDR content on my PS4 Pro

Xbox One X + HDR Calibrated Settings Option 1 for HDR content on my PS4 Pro

And i did not bother with DV settings on my PS4 Pro as i've never seen a game use DV and i use the Apple TV to watch DV content.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Hi again

Apologies for not replying to this sooner.

I tried many times to get a photo of the issue in this scene, but the photos never really showed what i was seeing.

After a while i found i could see that the issue was clearly present in test screens on youtube, especially pink and presented like thick vertical bands that were slightly darker.

I ran these tests on the TV when i first got my B7 2 years ago and the screen was perfect. So this was something that sadly happened over time. Do you think it was burn in? It looks exactly like vertical banding (which i know can just be something that happens on certain panels) but i did not think this could appear over time?

Luckily i had a good warranty with my TV . It contacted the seller, and they took it away for a week and it returned today.

Everything looks perfect again. I do not know for sure , but i believe they replaced the screen.

Anyways, before sending it for repair i had to factory reset it (to convince them it was not caused by something i had done) so i was putting all of your settings in the various modes again.

I have the TV connected by 1 high speed HDMI to my AV receiver (which is 4k, HDR, DV, HDCP, complaint) and then i have my Apple TV (the latest one), my PS4 Pro and my Switch connected to the receiver. I have the Apple TV and PS4 Pro connected with High Speed HDMI cables.

For the first time i actually did the instillation of your DV profile using a USB stick. After doing this and following the settings, i found the picture to be quite dark when viewing DV content but i found using the DV Game profile to produce quite unnatural colors. Is there a setting i can adjust to make the picture any brighter on the cinema profile without throwing everything off? I didn't want to just increase the brightness in case that invalidates your profile and the other settings.

As always, thank you so much for all your information here and your time and help.

Additional info, i used:
webOS + SDR Calibrated Settings for SDR content on my Apple TV

webOS + HDR Calibrated Settings for HDR content on my Apple TV

webOS + Dolby Vision Calibrated Settings for DV content on my Apple TV

Xbox One X + SDR Calibrated Settings Option 1 for SDR content on my PS4 Pro

Xbox One X + HDR Calibrated Settings Option 1 for HDR content on my PS4 Pro

And i did not bother with DV settings on my PS4 Pro as i've never seen a game use DV and i use the Apple TV to watch DV content.
Hey,
glad you managed to replace your TV and fix the banding/lines.

For DV Cinema there's nothing you can do to brighten it other than apply the USB update (that you already did) and increase OLED Light to 60 at max (without ruining something else).
Using DV Game profile with the suggested settings for X1X DV for everything Dolby Vision is a better alternative to me. It looks bright, good and with great motion processing.

For X1X HDR I suggest to use the new Option 1b instead of 1: it's a bit less bright, but much more universally accurate. You can find the new profile in the first post.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
P40L0 So for Dolby Vision content, you recommend using your Xbox profile (in combination with your USB update) and not your webOS/video profile because it helps fix the brightness issues inherent to DV, correct?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
P40L0 So for Dolby Vision content, you recommend using your Xbox profile (in combination with your USB update) and not your webOS/video profile because it helps fix the brightness issues inherent to DV, correct?
USB update will only apply to DV Cinema preset.
What I suggest, in the case you still want more luminance along with an accurate PQ, is to just change the DV preset altogether to DV Game mode (both for webOS, X1X or Apple TV inputs), and then using these settings for it.

It looks brighter while staying accurate, and with great motion processing (thanks to the "Game" preset).
You would also be ready for future DV games if and when they will arrive with next consoles ;)

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
So how do you guys experience Shadow of the Tomb Raider? In the in-game settings, you have to move the slider so everything in the rectangle is white, but it won't turn white. I have the slider al the way to the right. Brightness also. Still I have the feeling the picture is a little dim. While the flashlight is a little to bright when in dark areas.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
So how do you guys experience Shadow of the Tomb Raider? In the in-game settings, you have to move the slider so everything in the rectangle is white, but it won't turn white. I have the slider al the way to the right. Brightness also. Still I have the feeling the picture is a little dim. While the flashlight is a little to bright when in dark areas.
Yes, I also ended up to raise both its sliders to max, but you can't do much else as the game was mastered at 2.000 nits only, while HDR Game preset tone maps for 4.000.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Hey,
glad you managed to replace your TV and fix the banding/lines.

For DV Cinema there's nothing you can do to brighten it other than apply the USB update (that you already did) and increase OLED Light to 60 at max (without ruining something else).
Using DV Game profile with the suggested settings for X1X DV for everything Dolby Vision is a better alternative to me. It looks bright, good and with great motion processing.

For X1X HDR I suggest to use the new Option 1b instead of 1: it's a bit less bright, but much more universally accurate. You can find the new profile in the first post.

Thanks mate : )

from having a quick look at option 1 vs 1b for HDR, is the only difference the dynamic contrast setting changed from High to Medium?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thanks mate : )

from having a quick look at option 1 vs 1b for HDR, is the only difference the dynamic contrast setting changed from High to Medium?
DC from Medium to High is a biggest one, so there are also Brightness and Color changes to compensate the much higher luminance.

Option 1b based on Medium DC is the most balanced/accurate one.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm running RDR2 on the Pro. What settings would you recommend using? I know the screen settings are perfectly good, but what in game settings should I be using with the new update. Haven't played the game since they fixed HDR

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I'm running RDR2 on the Pro. What settings would you recommend using? I know the screen settings are perfectly good, but what in game settings should I be using with the new update. Haven't played the game since they fixed HDR
Have a look at the bottom of the first post, you will find them along with many other in-game settings of other titles, including latest CoD MW ;)

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't remember if I asked here or not, but I have a 65" C7 (2017) and I wanted to ask if anyone can confirm if it's able to be used overseas (specifically Germany).

The TV indicates it's not dual voltage on the back, but I've seen posts out on the internet which state the main board says it is and that it does indeed work at 220v/50hz without the need for a step down transformer. Can anyone confirm?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, those are not all HDR games ever made, but at least what I personally tested on my X1X + LG 55B7.

Enjoy :)

4,000 luminance doesn't wash out details in the clouds? I thought when i did that on my Pro the clouds were just too bright in the preview it seemed. Who knows.....i like HDR being tied to the OS but it still seems most games don't accurately carry it over. Wish i would have bought RDR2 on my X....sigh

I'll give it a go, maybe defaulting the OS HDR is just leaving it to the user in game to mess with it which would give me the results im looking for.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
P40L0 I'm trying PC mode once again in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I'm not noticing the lag the way I did in Rage 2. Has this been reduced somehow? And this is the brightest setting, correct?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
P40L0 I'm trying PC mode once again in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I'm not noticing the lag the way I did in Rage 2. Has this been reduced somehow? And this is the brightest setting, correct?
PC Input still adds a bit more lag when using HDR Standard compared to HDR Game preset's response (it's less noticeable in 30fps games, but it's there on 60fps, fast paced, games like latest CoD for example).

HDR Standard remain the brightest one, but also the most aggressive with noticeable highlights' clipping.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
I understand PS4 now has system wide HDR turning, which should essentially be applied to every title?

If so, are there any recommended PS4 system HDR settings for either option 1a and 1b we can apply at system level to ensure every title is "setup correctly"?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I understand PS4 now has system wide HDR turning, which should essentially be applied to every title?

If so, are there any recommended PS4 system HDR settings for either option 1a and 1b we can apply at system level to ensure every title is "setup correctly"?

No, the system settings are just a one-time time calibration (move the slider until given image is barely noticeable).

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

Option 1b is universally good for basically any HDR game or movie.

Therefore, even if I don't use a PS4 Pro, as universal console HDR settings I would then pick:
  • HDR Luminance: 4.000 nits
  • Paper White: 140
Consider that console wide settings may not work with older HDR games, but as you can see from the in-game HDR settings in the first post for Option 1/1b, those values are what generally works best even when manually put in-game.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
So just the generic sdr settings then
Yes, just use the X1X SDR link to setup the TV the same for SDR, and on Switch video option try mimic X1X settings when possible (therefore Full-HD Resolution, 60hz, Standard Color Space / RGB Limited, 8-bit Color Depth, 4:2:2 or 4:4.4 Chroma Subsampling considering there's no HDR on Switch).

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
P40L0 the link to download the custom DV profile is not working anymore. Any chance you can fix it or re-upload it? Thanks.

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
Couldn't resist a 65 C9 for just under $3K AUD so have given the kids the 55 B7.

P40L0 can you please upgrade your TV so we can get your C9 thread?

p.s. Thanks for this thread has been great!

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Couldn't resist a 65 C9 for just under $3K AUD so have given the kids the 55 B7.

P40L0 can you please upgrade your TV so we can get your C9 thread?

p.s. Thanks for this thread has been great!
I really do not feel any real need to upgrade my 55 B7 at the moment.

SDR/HDR/DV results are excellent on all my inputs, and input lag + motion is constantly great in SDR/HDR Modes.
G-Sync/Freesync and VRR are not really needed to me as I don't game on PC and all console games are either fixed 30fps/60fps @ 60hz, plus current B7's SDR/HDR Game Modes configurations have 99% picture fidelity of the almost perfect calibrated Technicolor presets.

Next-Gen consoles will sure allow 8K and/or 120fps/hz games, but will also offer enhancements options for 4K @ 60hz (e.g. 4K/30fps games on X1X will mostly sure be upgraded to 4K/60fps on Scarlett, while already 4K/60fps games on X1X will receive further graphics enhancements), that I still find the best clarity + fidelity + motion combo.
Same thing for 4:4:4 HDR (that should be theoretically possible with HDMI 2.1 bandwidth): all HDR/DV movies are still created using 4:2:0 chroma, and current 4:2:2 clarity is hardly distinguishable from 4:4:4.
Finally, if and when Dolby Vision games will spread together or surpassing HDR ones, B7's low latency "DV Game" profile will be there, as it's already looking stellar with low lag, great motion and already supported on X1X.

TL;DR: currently spending 1.500€ at least in upgrading to a C9 from a B7 is not worth it to me, and LG 2017 series could easily be enough also for next-generation console gaming (PS5/Scarlett).

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
TL;DR: currently spending 1.500€ at least in upgrading to a C9 from a B7 is not worth it to me, and LG 2017 series could easily be enough also for next-generation console gaming (PS5/Scarlett).

Fair enough mate.

For me the main concern wasn't picture quality it was going from 55 > 65 given my viewing distance at around 2.7/2.8m and the HDMI 2.1 feature set which will become more and more important especially given the new consoles next year.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Fair enough mate.

For me the main concern wasn't picture quality it was going from 55 > 65 given my viewing distance at around 2.7/2.8m and the HDMI 2.1 feature set which will become more and more important especially given the new consoles next year.
Sure, the LG 2019 series is still currently the best OLED (and probably the best TV) you can buy right now.
Enjoy it ;)

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
I read rumours the other day the next 10-series won't have any bezels at all and instead have edge display. That would be pretty neat. With that said there will always be something new each year with every line up. LG is a smart company and will never release the perfect OLED-Tv. I bet they have a list for future models for each year with an USP 10 years ahead.
Also read Samsung is building up their own OLED-factories with promised improvements to offer even better picture than LG Display does with their OLED technology.

Buy something this year and you'll want to upgrade next year. Is it worth the extra XXX€ for a minimal difference? Maybe not. C7 are in my opinion very stable when calibrated good enough. But I'm watching HDMI 2.1 closely. Think it has potential things for us gamers with some of these slow ass awful 30 fps games, if done right. Let's see and wait what Scarlet and Ps5 can accomplish with it.