• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
They left out the best theme - Wild West (the ones where you could knock down a wall with TNT and rob a bank/saloon/break out of jail/steal gold). Loved the one I had.

But other than that unforgivable omission, I have many, many fond memories of Forestmen, Imperials, Dragon Knights and what I think was a ghost themed set (but can't recall whether it was castle + ghost combination, or standalone ghost set). Nothing beats a glow in the dark ghost!

Last edited:

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm an old fart but I get goosebumps seeing classic space, knights and pirates. They were the stuff that I was hyped for in mid to late 80's.
The classic space stuff is so vintage..

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Trains or Pirates win. I've wanted that pirate set for the longest after helping my uncle make his when I was a wee boy.

I'll take the divers one as a consolation Prize.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
According to a website who was tracking the votes, if the castle folks come together to vote on Classic Castle, then the results for the final vote would apparently be :

1. Classic Castle
2. Classic Space
3. Bionicle

I really hope that doesn't happen. I want Bionicle :(
To be precise top five of round 1 from scrapers were:
  • Bionicle(18740)
  • Classic Space(13752)
  • Pirates(11475)
  • Trains(11057)
  • Adventurers(11057)
Also not sure if those combined totals removed the overlap .

High five to another Bionicle fan. But pretty sure they'll give us a 20th anniversary set as a consolation prize.

And Yeesh you haters are giving me flashbacks to the smash ballot and being a k Rool supporter. However This isn't a write in competition, all the choices were hand picked by Nintendo as being candidates (note how Exo Force and UFO didn't make the list). If they didn't think Bionicle was a good choice they would have left it out! Sealed round 2 will be interesting to say the least. But whoever wins will be fun. However it's pretty obvious this is testing the waters for nostaglia sets in the 18+ line to me since it's no longer creators expert they can throw whatever they want(like the crocodile locomotive last year) in it

Lord Vatek you may want to threadmark this post with Round 1 over rumored scraped results. Round 2 starts feb 3

OP
OP
Lord Vatek

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
To be precise top five of round 1 from scrapers were:
  • Bionicle(18740)
  • Classic Space(13752)
  • Pirates(11475)
  • Trains(11057)
  • Adventurers(11057)
Also not sure if those combined totals removed the overlap .

High five to another Bionicle fan. But pretty sure they'll give us a 20th anniversary set as a consolation prize.

And Yeesh you haters are giving me flashbacks to the smash ballot and being a k Rool supporter. However This isn't a write in competition, all the choices were hand picked by Nintendo as being candidates (note how Exo Force and UFO didn't make the list). If they didn't think Bionicle was a good choice they would have left it out! Sealed round 2 will be interesting to say the least. But whoever wins will be fun. However it's pretty obvious this is testing the waters for nostaglia sets in the 18+ line to me since it's no longer creators expert they can throw whatever they want(like the crocodile locomotive last year) in it

Lord Vatek you may want to threadmark this post with Round 1 over rumored scraped results. Round 2 starts feb 3
I was gonna wait until we got the official results for the first round.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I was gonna wait until we got the official results for the first round.
No prob! But a threadmark that the first round is over and round 2/first round results will be announced feb 3 might be handy for newcomers
I really hope Trains or Pirates win. I've wanted that pirate set for the longest after helping my uncle make his when I was a wee boy.

I'll take the divers one as a consolation Prize.
You don't really need this competition though? POBB came out last year and transforms into the Barracuda Bay
www.lego.com

Pirates of Barracuda Bay 21322 | Ideas | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

Pirate shipwreck island building set for play and display

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing I voted for in the top 5 T_T

Purely selfish here but I have a hard time understanding how folks are hard up for Pirates, Castle, or Train sets these days, compared to themes that haven't been seen in ~30 years. It's just a popularity contest. Still wish Lego would just have a regular rotation of discontinued sets.

Last edited:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I voted for Black Knights and Time Cruisers ;D

Too bad the Wild West theme has never been republished, even with the apparition in The Lego Movie.

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
The second vote is for popularity only. LEGO will determine which theme gets to be the 90th Anniversary set, from the top 3 voted on from the first round.

I'm thinking Classic Space will get the set, since Barracuda Bay came out last year.

Dec 25, 2018
How much shelf space would Bionicle take up if/when it wins?
usually not much in terms of depth/width (unless its a vehicle or creature) depending on what size range it fits into, vertical clearance would be the main thing to worry about. If its in the same scale as the canister sets it should fit in book case shelf. If its in the Titan Scale range it could vary a lot (which could go from near canister size up to real tall sets like Mistika Takanuva, the big Glatorian Mata Nui set, Kardas or The Metru Nui Makuta Set, the latter two needing to account for unfolded wings).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The second vote is for popularity only. LEGO will determine which theme gets to be the 90th Anniversary set, from the top 3 voted on from the first round.

I'm thinking Classic Space will get the set, since Barracuda Bay came out last year.
Yeah second round(even moreso than the first) is pulling data for other lines like 18+. Wouldn't be surprised if they use this to announce a separate Bionicle 20th anniversary set
usually not much in terms of depth/width (unless its a vehicle or creature) depending on what size range it fits into, vertical clearance would be the main thing to worry about. If its in the same scale as the canister sets it should fit in book case shelf. If its in the Titan Scale range it could vary a lot (which could go from near canister size up to real tall sets like Mistika Takanuva, the big Glatorian Mata Nui set, Kardas or The Metru Nui Makuta Set, the latter two needing to account for unfolded wings).
They could also do a diorama system set which was a thing back in day.
8759-1.png

8893-1.png

8927-1.png

Personally I think a set of brick built masks in the style and scale of the star wars/marvel helmet line would be awesome, original 6/mask of light or pulling from throughout the series

personally I

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Bionicle isn't even LEGO. There. I said it.
Hey quit the hating, Lego comes in all styles. Bionicle falls more on the technic side but it even had traditional style sets. Plus you could do so much more with modern pieces it'd use very few custom ones for say a 18+ set in a larger scale. Plus this isn't the smash ballot, LEGO themselves put Bionicle as an option so you can't refute that, this isn't a write in. People have different tastes

Dec 25, 2018
Yeah second round(even moreso than the first) is pulling data for other lines like 18+. Wouldn't be surprised if they use this to announce a separate Bionicle 20th anniversary set

They could also do a diorama system set which was a thing back in day.
8759-1.png

8893-1.png

8927-1.png

Personally I think a set of brick built masks in the style and scale of the star wars/marvel helmet line would be awesome, original 6/mask of light or pulling from throughout the series

personally I
Sure, I was mostly posting thinking of either a CCBS style or a System figure in that scale.
I had one or two of the Inika/Mahri system sets (like the one pictured at the bottom of your post), but i was dissapointed by the lack of leg articulation in the minifigs (it was an improvement over the Hordika minifigs 0 articulation) given the Robot minifigs in Exo Force they were based on had it.

Something like the Pacific Rim themed year for Hero Factory with a large set or collection of sets of like the Rahi, Titans or vehicles mixing system/technic/CCBS with Toa/Matoran minifigs could work.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That's not a problem, but Lego not having at least 3/4 of the molds anymore is.
So, no, that shit would be expensive for them, it's not gonna happen. 😅

Let's go Space or Pirates!
A 18+ build could be technic based and larger scale, only thing you'd need molded is the head and the masks
Sure, I was mostly posting thinking of either a CCBS style or a System figure in that scale.
I had one or two of the Inika/Mahri system sets (like the one pictured at the bottom of your post), but i was dissapointed by the lack of leg articulation in the minifigs (it was an improvement over the Hordika minifigs 0 articulation) given the Robot minifigs in Exo Force they were based on had it.

Something like the Pacific Rim themed year for Hero Factory with a large set or collection of sets of like the Rahi, Titans or vehicles mixing system/technic/CCBS with Toa/Matoran minifigs could work.
Yup tons of options, hybridization could be fun

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
My absolute favorite mini fig was in aquazone. Still have it along with the aquanaut base (though one section may have been removed from time to time to double as a Dr Wily Flying machine). And I loved the larger sets for the Time sets

gosh I wish we Could get one of a bunch of these.

never getting that monorail though...
I'm sad I missed the first vote but I'll be there to vote on the second round

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Cool. A loose-loose scenario then?
Not what the Space/Pirate and anti Bionicle crowd wants and not what the Bionicle fans want either from a classic celebration set.
What are you talking about? I was a Bionicle guy the entire original line and while the canister and hero's got us in the door we stayed for the awesome box set builds of 80% technic creatures and later on 60-70% technic huge bad guys to intimidate our heroes and give us a bigger pool of parts for creating strange creatures and huge heroes and vehicles. There were even Bionicle part giant bin barrels like lego classic tubs
8715-1.jpg

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
As a Bionicle fan that literally grew up with the original 6 Toa, all I want is a set that hearkens to G1 and not G2.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
What are you talking about? I was a Bionicle guy the entire original line and while the canister and hero's got us in the door we stayed for the awesome box set builds of 80% technic creatures and later on 60-70% technic huge bad guys to intimidate our heroes and give us a bigger pool of parts for creating strange creatures and huge heroes and vehicles. There were even Bionicle part giant bin barrels like lego classic tubs
8715-1.jpg

I didn't say stuff like this didn't exist, I say if they do something like this, that's not classic 2001 Bionicle, then most Bionicle people will be disappointed, cause some weird side line thing is not what you want from the one and only classic celebration set that you get.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That feeling when you are old enough to remember Bionicle as the shit lego young kids got for reasons never understood.

:(

knights is where it is at. The castle nobody could afford to get.

I defiantly had many of those sets when I was younger and I had a core cast of Mini figures that I dad all sorts of stuff with from several of those sets. I had this great I think Mega blocks castle that I loved.

Found it
s-l1600.jpg

But yeah out of these I could see myself buying a new Bionicle for fun.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Hey quit the hating, Lego comes in all styles. Bionicle falls more on the technic side but it even had traditional style sets. Plus you could do so much more with modern pieces it'd use very few custom ones for say a 18+ set in a larger scale. Plus this isn't the smash ballot, LEGO themselves put Bionicle as an option so you can't refute that, this isn't a write in. People have different tastes
I have no problem with people liking Bionicle (I owned quite a few when I was a kid), but I consider it a completely separate (though obviously related product) made by the LEGO company. It's funny you mention Technic because I also don't consider those sets to be LEGO either, and they're more compatible.

I am glad that LEGO wants to revisit Bionicle in some way, but I don't want it in exclusion of revisiting the more compatible traditional LEGO themes. It mostly rubs me the wrong way that LEGO wants to essentially put something so vastly different against traditional LEGO themes. But I also don't treat LEGO as "serious business" so as long as the most people end up happy, that's fine with me!

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No prob! But a threadmark that the first round is over and round 2/first round results will be announced feb 3 might be handy for newcomers

You don't really need this competition though? POBB came out last year and transforms into the Barracuda Bay
www.lego.com

Pirates of Barracuda Bay 21322 | Ideas | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

Pirate shipwreck island building set for play and display
With all due respect, they're not the same. At least not for the reason I want it which I stated originally. It's doubtful it wins, but I hope it does anyway.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Damn, I'd be down for a Mata Nui brick set. I missed out on the lego bionicle mini sets but I always thought they looked cool.

Oct 26, 2017
You've basically got the worst of the LEGO fans there. The gen Xers who liked it when sets were easy to understand and didn't have cool features, and the late millennials who didn't really want to play with LEGO at all.

So what's the best Lego fans? The early millennials where everything was teal and huge customized parts that nearly drove Lego bankrupt, because kids would rather play video games than play with plastic toys?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the best Lego fans? The early millennials where everything was teal and huge customized parts that nearly drove Lego bankrupt, because kids would rather play video games than play with plastic toys?
Yes because when I was playing with cool LEGO sets as a kid I always had the niggling concern about the tooling costs in the back of my mind.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Aw, can't believe I missed this. If Bionicle doesn't win Round 1 I'm here day 1 for Round 2
First round was open so the data was scraped, Bionicle had the most votes. Which with 3 votes a person and all the subdividing isn't too surprising. Then Pirates, Classic space, Trains/Adventurers(same amount of votes). Official announcement for round 2 is Wednesday

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I care zero for Bionicle and wish LEGO would focus their efforts on the other themes instead. I'd rather have Fabuland revived tbh (and no, Chima doesn't count).

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
We got this last year and it's solid(and can be motorized, it's laid out in the manual; it also give me hope for yearly engine releases that are motor/track/carless )
images

the new Hogwarts express 2 years ago was good too(but is harder to motorize)
I want a cool train like this one, thanks

RE these two posts, when the Crocodile Train was announced last year, in designer interviews the guys behind the train outright said that they viewed it as the first in a new line of 18+ train sets. In fact, iirc they even said the Crocodile Train wasn't the first in this range to be designed, just the first to be released. So, they're comin'.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
RE these two posts, when the Crocodile Train was announced last year, in designer interviews the guys behind the train outright said that they viewed it as the first in a new line of 18+ train sets. In fact, iirc they even said the Crocodile Train wasn't the first in this range to be designed, just the first to be released. So, they're comin'.
Sweet! I also nabbed the current passenger and the hogwarts. Guess the question is will it just be locomotives or will we get some with carriages, or even some integrated bodies like the old EU passenger tubes

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I will pay any price for a good, detailed LEGO Scotsman

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
Reading this got me all excited.. and really sad for my bank account.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Bionicle would be complete horseshit as an anniversary of the LEGO system, to the extent that I have no idea why it's an option

it's been ninety years of interlocking bricks, here are some technic action figures from 2000 to celebrate

edit: it has in fact been 90 years for the company, not the bricks, meaning bionicle is a great choice after all

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Bionicles was after my time TBH. It came out after I stopped playing with LEGO. Even then it wasn't something I'd have cared about. I was a Technic kid when I wasn't playing with normal sets.

My pick would either be Model Team (Those large form models that incorporated Technic pieces surrounded by normal pieces to make some really cool stuff were awesome.) or Trains. I had a cargo train as a kid even though I really wanted the passenger one. But beggars can't be choosers.

That said, I remember one of the large models was a red sports car and I so wanted it so bad back then. It was so expensive as a kid. And so many pieces. Fast forward to now and I own two Simpsons sets that cost me like $500. One of which I haven't even built yet.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Reading this got me all excited.. and really sad for my bank account.
If Crocodile is the standard template it shouldn't be too bad if the 18+ set continues a focus on the engine/tender only keeping it in the $80-$120 range while keeping the tracks/carriages to the city sets. Display releases that can be upgraded to functionality isn't as hard on the wallet. Plus wouldn't be more than 2 a year

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
If Crocodile is the standard template it shouldn't be too bad if the 18+ set continues a focus on the engine/tender only keeping it in the $80-$120 range while keeping the tracks/carriages to the city sets. Display releases that can be upgraded to functionality isn't as hard on the wallet. Plus wouldn't be more than 2 a year
I get that, but there's usually one or two sets that come out every month that I want, and there's a bunch of older sets that I need to get before they retire. It's just never ending..

Jul 26, 2018
I actually forgot that out of all sets, I had the plane of Alpha Team. It was so badass. Sadly it's lost around my casa :(