• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
That levelup animation is amazing. I wonder how long it will be til all the old weird 'ghost character' level-up vids get updated.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Nami/Lee Sin could be trouble. She might be my favorite champ reveal so far? Love Fizz and this is a great support for my little dude. Her level up is also maybe the best in the game.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Just dropping in and saying it's really nice to see another expansion feeling more like the Bilgewater expansion where it feels the decks that can be built expands greatly for most regions and existing archetypes.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man I am kinda worried for the meta with the next expansion.

We know some form of Discard is going to be tier 1, maybe even two different types. There will be several new Elusive decks running around and hell you can even build a triple Elusive line up. And then we have Poppy Rally small unit deck which will also be aggressive. And then we have a bunch of Pranks and hand disruption thrown in the mix.

Only control/Midrange type archetype we have are traps with Caitlyn and Darkness with Viego + Senna. Not many ways to slow down the game.

I want the next two champions to be Midrange and Control focused. Please no more of this aggro/low to the ground stuff!

So I guess next Champ is going to be Xerath which is going to be a spell based control deck for Shurima and Ziggs for Bandle City. Pure speculation though based on their own trailers. So far I have been pleasantly surprised with their reveal orders.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wonder if a Senna/Nami control shell would be worth playing...? Some solid slow spells to choose from there.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wonder if a Senna/Nami control shell would be worth playing...? Some solid slow spells to choose from there.
What unit would you want to buff in that deck? Nami feels like a type of card that is used to buff up Elusives which are generally weaker units and threaten big damage from them. Like buffing Fizz a few times is game winning.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What unit would you want to buff in that deck? Nami feels like a type of card that is used to buff up Elusives which are generally weaker units and threaten big damage from them. Like buffing Fizz a few times is game winning.
Anything you can toss on the board to trade up with aggro deck units, really.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
At present I'm all in on building a Caitlyn deck; although I do have to confess there are a load of other decks I can't wait to try out.

I have a hunch Ziggs will be trap based too which is what I'm really looking forward to because at the moment there is only Puff caps and Flashbombs which limits the potential of Caitlyn from a build perspective. The new Corina card is absolute fire too.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Nami seems cool as hell, PLUS she's voiced by the same voice actress as Morgana from Persona 5 which instantly made me like her haha. Man, I'm loving almost everything about this expansion so far. I hope it turns out to be as exciting to play as it has been to be revealed, might be the best expansion yet!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my ACTUAL FUCKING GOD

k2aoydvtqxi71.png

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just in awe that Shelly the Wave Rider is getting the Cythria treatment, and he's bringing Bubble Bear with him. Beautiful.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have no way of giving LS overwhelm so the OTK potential would be much more limited.

Nami is so good, really ties together this "cheap spell spam" archetype that Fizz and other Attune followers have wanted.
I feel like I'm missing something. Why does Lee Sin need overwhelm? Doesn't he just kick everything into the nexus and do damage while doing that when he attacks after you play a spell to give him challenger after he levels up?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I feel like I'm missing something. Why does Lee Sin need overwhelm? Doesn't he just kick everything into the nexus and do damage while doing that when he attacks after you play a spell to give him challenger after he levels up?
He needs the Overwhelm for his Attack to work after the Kick because you've removed the blocker from combat. If you have Overwhelm it's 10 to OTK, otherwise it's 20.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Nami is going to put Fizz into overdrive. Between her package and pranks, I think Fizz is coming out of this xpac the big winner.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
He needs the Overwhelm for his Attack to work after the Kick because you've removed the blocker from combat. If you have Overwhelm it's 10 to OTK, otherwise it's 20.
Ah. I didn't realize it worked like that.
I only really play with him in ultra rapid so I don't typically end up with overwhelm on him :P

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
For some reason I kept thinking this was a small expansion and each day I've been pleasantly surprised with so many cards. Ignorance is great sometimes.

Overall a lot of fun cards. As always with any new expansions, I reiterate how I hope they don't give streamers early access and make day 1 an absolute bore. Last expansion first day was horrible.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Man I am kinda worried for the meta with the next expansion.

We know some form of Discard is going to be tier 1, maybe even two different types. There will be several new Elusive decks running around and hell you can even build a triple Elusive line up. And then we have Poppy Rally small unit deck which will also be aggressive. And then we have a bunch of Pranks and hand disruption thrown in the mix.

Only control/Midrange type archetype we have are traps with Caitlyn and Darkness with Viego + Senna. Not many ways to slow down the game.

I .

Pranks will be a core component of Bandle style control.

As for Senna you are going to see her in a bunch of control decks between how go hard decks in the past played out against elusives and avalanche Senna will be paired up in bilgewater, pnz, freljord and ionia.

She'll be more prolific than Lissandra without being as toxic as Watcher because the 4 regions encourage very different styles of play with their alternative win conditions.

This expansion is very exciting.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wow look at unleashed energy compared to shaped stone. wtf. Really expecting that shaped stone nerf i guess.

Xerath doesn't look good at all. Landmark synergy wasn't really there before and now destroying landmarks as an archetype. I can't imagine it'll be good. Taliyah/Thralls is decent and could have used a little more support. Maybe a ton of landmarks are getting revamped.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I wonder if landmarks naturally counting down counts as being destroyed. I can always appreciate a champ that allows for a different playstyle regardless of their power level.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah most of these cards seem like a buff to Taliyah/Malphite.

I don't think leveling up Xerath will be that hard (since it's not an I have seen). At least it controls the board for Mono Shurima deck.. COPIUM!

Xerath is decent but I don't know if it makes the cut.

I wonder if landmarks naturally counting down counts as being destroyed. I can always appreciate a champ that allows for a different playstyle regardless of their power level.
It does count, it is shown in the video.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Xerath seems super interesting! I'm not entirely sure how he'll actually be but he's at the very least interesting. I hope Gnar is tomorrow…Ziggs is boring, change my mind.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
I really don't see what Riot is going for with the landmarks. It is impossible to actually get value from all the synergistic followers if you are dead, and that is what happens when trying to play landmarks that consume all your mana and do not impact the board in a meaningful way

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see what Riot is going for with the landmarks. It is impossible to actually get value from all the synergistic followers if you are dead, and that is what happens when trying to play landmarks that consume all your mana and do not impact the board in a meaningful way
I haven't made a landmark deck, and just played with them in PVE and ultra rapid, but my main issues tend to be they tend to not be worth the slots they take up and end up ruining the effects of too many cards the in the middle of the game as when other creatures get summoned by card effects they just die with no chance to replace.

so I often find myself with not enough defenders if I play landmarks. Though a lot of them do indeed feel like they are lacking impact for the cost.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Taliyah Malphite is actually a good deck and is only getting stronger with these set of cards.

Landmarks are fine when they provide some upfront value and then pay off for triggering their effect. The new Obilisk of Power card is a good card in this regard like Preservarium, you get the +2 attack right away on Summon and then again when it Countdown. Landmarks summoned through other means like Spells and units are also good, like Roiling Sands (in this deck) and Rock Hopper.

I think where it becomes sketchy is the static over turn value Landmarks. Aside from the 6 mana one they just printed, the new ones don't really fall into this trap. I think stuff like Scargrounds and Grand Plaza are really problematic, where they are either game winning and deck enabling when played on curve but suck when played after or if you drew multiple copies of them. I think I would much rather have like Scargrounds or Grand Plaza grant their effect to one card on board when played EVEN if they costed 1 more mana to sort of bridge the floor and ceiling power of the cards.

So I don't think Landmarks are inherently a unbalanceable or weak concept but I think in the past especially for non-Shuriman cards, Riot has missed the mark on Landmarks.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to guage Xerath's viability as I think his concept of a control style champ for landmarks just isn't really something available yet. I think he's deceptively powerful as his level 1 version will almost never see play... destroying 4 landmarks is so absurdly easy in the kind of deck he wants to play that he'll always be leveled by turns 4-6. He's definitely a wait and see for me.

Taliyah + Malphite is going to be the absolute nuts with this package though.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if you go more low to the ground with Akshan + Taliyah Landmarks and cut Malphite. That's certainly possible I think.

Right now, without seeing the last Bandle City champion, the top 5 "new" decks that pop out to me are:

*Midrange Discard only you probably don't use Sion, just the busted followers. Also Aggro Discard gets more refined by association.
*Taliyah Malphite more refined and punchier. I don't see Xerath being used unless it's a certain meta but it's nice to see an actual control Shurima champion.
*Fizz Nami BW/BC Elusives. The deck basically builds itself, it's very strong and a good front runner. It will be running Pranks as well.
*Poppy Lulu Demacia. Buffs + Rallies. I think Yordle Smith is going to be really strong here as well.
*Senna Go Hard. Some form of control deck using Go Hard + Senna, the deck can be played in a few ways (Ionia or PnZ or BW). I don't see all in Darkness being that good but you may want to run some of the cards. In a different meta, Senna + Veigar could be good.

Honestly outside of Poppy, Nami and Senna... I am not feeling most of the new champions. They are "fine" but I am not tripping over myself wanting to make a build around them.

No idea how to build Caitlyn traps yet. I think safest way to build it is still Freljord + PnZ with Puffcap Peddlers.

Last edited:

itsumokid

Jun 1, 2021
Taliyah is what got me to try this game out (saw her sick level up animation in the app store), and I've only been able to make her work in a stacked Expedition run when I first started playing. But I discovered GrandpaRoji recently who does great with his Taliyah/Malphite decks, so it's been fun learning by watching him. I'm extremely happy for more landmark support so Taliyah can be played in more ways.

I'll also say this is my first region expansion, and this is quite an exciting time for this game!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Alan actually has a pretty cool Marai Greatmother + Tidal Wave TF + Karma deck. Lots of draws and tutors for Greatmother and Tidal Wave. Very good into aggro and Elusives because the way he has teched it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Xerath looks not great

Taliyah/Malphite/Akshan look like they're getting a lot more strong tools though

Also it's hilarious that these are some good 3 drops but also... Shurima wasn't hurting for one of those lol

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There is some copium for Xerath and that is that tomorrow's champion Ziggs might be the pair up to Shurima. Ziggs is a champion that excels at destroying towers and they might want to translate that ability into LOR by him destroying landmarks.

If Ziggs provide an appropriate win condition for Landmark destroying archetype then that might make Xerath and Ziggs pretty good together. We all thought Veigar sucked until they released Senna so this might be another champion pairing that we are missing (Veigar may still be mediocre but much better than initially revealed).

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish tomorrow is Gnar and not Ziggs. Ziggs is boring. Frejlord/Bandle City champ cmooooon…first Yordle. It would be fitting!

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
So seems like streamers are getting early access again. Riot must have some data that it's better for engagement with the game or something, but I personally don't like it. Let everyone have the joy of discovering how decks work all at the same time, not streamers/people who watch streamers first and then everyone else second.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine for larger expansions with large card pools/different champions plus big balance patch versus a smaller expansion release with hardly any balance changes.

Like it was pretty bad when they released Azir Irelia and in that expansion there were basically only 2 new decks to try and one was clearly stronger than the other (it was Zilean and Malphite, and Zilean didn't have echo). And then once it was discovered Azir Irelia was really strong, the next day was flooded with Azir Irelia. In the long scheme of things it wouldn't have changed much but I think at least on the first couple of days we should have more diversity and experimentation.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Looks like Ziggs can be paired with Xerath. He's also shuriman which is weird but maybe you could sneak in a sun disc if you forgo the bandle cards but you probably don't want to do that.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
level up reminds me of ezreal. Almost certainly not going to be as good but he does seem decent. Will probably be decent with Taliyah but I still think Xerath is sort of bad.

Hexplosive Minefield is quite good.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I TOLD YOU GUYS!!! XERATH SAVED COPIUM!

I think it's entirely possible you can run Xerath + Ziggs without running Bandle City. BC doesn't have that many Landmarks synergy card. So you can run a slow burn with like Noxus + Shurima or Shurima + PnZ control/burn.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Weird that Ziggs himself doesn't do any landmark destruction. Also minor ding for being Shuriman and not P&Z flavorwise. Converting Roiling Sands into a 3m Decimate sounds fun.

Should we get this thread back in Gaming now?

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
Another landmark-based Shuriman champ that begins with a letter Z. About as powerful as the previous one I'd say

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
The best thing about most of these new landmark cards are:
a) They're cheap (1 mana)
b) They're summoned by a unit

This expansion is looking good.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Woof no balance changes until late October is wild. I guess they want to wait to see how Bandle will shake up the meta but having Ruin Runner and Merciless Hunter be unchanged for another few months is going to be rough.