• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Overall very happy and excited for this new Eternal season essentially. The patch was great, they addressed the obvious high powered cards and buffed a bunch of Eternal cards. Lots of reverts, this is going to be a wacky fun time.

Alsolike that we have Infinite Gauntlets and new players get 7 new Starter decks. Competitive schedule looks packed. Great time to jump into the game.

Special shout out to the article they did on new card types. I am not a tribal gamer but it's good to have their thought process on it. Wish they had made the Rotation and region identity articles before rotation for better communication but this is a good start.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Overall very happy and excited for this new Eternal season essentially. The patch was great, they addressed the obvious high powered cards and buffed a bunch of Eternal cards. Lots of reverts, this is going to be a wacky fun time.

Alsolike that we have Infinite Gauntlets and new players get 7 new Starter decks. Competitive schedule looks packed. Great time to jump into the game.

I've been playing a ton this season. Nearly out of Diamond for the first time since I started playing this game (Illaoi/Jarvan saving the day). Eternal will be fun. Wanting a fun Yi deck.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Hot take: the Fated 1/2 is good, but not 10/10 like everyone thinks. Maybe 8/10. Played a bunch of Panth this season and the 2m follower slot is just very awkward. You basically can't proc Fated on t2 if you want to develop this on t3 and proc it. It's a great card, but it will push your Panth levelup back a whole turn. It gives the deck a tooon of value AND consistency, but at the cost of some speed.

...so I wonder if it's best deck is not Panth.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Having more fun in Eternal than standard right now. It feels like the greatest hits of LoR mashed together. Power level is high and you either blast or get blasted but the expectation of balance is completely different.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
New expansion Heart of the Huntress coming next week (June 28th). Nidalee coming as a new champion, and Ambush as a new keyword.

View: https://twitter.com/PlayRuneterra/status/1671548679910457347

View: https://youtu.be/a3GJZ0TWtlw

View: https://youtu.be/4r3S5jbP0Uk

FzFOG-yXsAMISGo

FzFOHAPXsA0P7we

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I took a break when I maxed out on PoC shards with no champion left to unlock/upgrade, since the PoC daily now didn't reward anything since I maxed legend level a while ago. Definitely jumping back on when this goes live.

Oct 26, 2017
LOR added the morph mechanic from MTG, I see. I also like that Nidalee redesign, both her and the cougar form. Looks like based on the art, we're also getting Neeko in this expansion?

Since there's a jungle aesthetic with this expansion, I'm hoping that Zyra is added in as well.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Woah they made a new music video for the new champs?

Loving the new Nidalee redesign!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't my type of expansion because I have never been a fan of tribal archetype decks but I love the artwork and flavor of the expansion. Nidalee looks cool though.

I have played Poro decks before and they are stronger than you think and absolutely devastate various control decks. Now the archetype having a more legitimate win condition will make it at least somewhat relevant. Before it used to lean super hard on Daring Poros to close out games.

Last edited:

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1 takes:

Siren Song is broken. Like potentially 8 mana Champions' Strength broken. There's like 5 different decks currently with it that have a 57+ win rate right now, and they're all entirely new decks. There's stuff like Eve Xolaani which can legit evolve Xolaani on curve. There's an Aatrox BW brew which also has Xolaani as a finisher. Old standbys like Eve Viego are obviously better. And there's other stuff like Eve Lucian. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if it gets hot fixed, it's actually insane. It's 4 mana Spirits Unleashed that you don't have to play Freljord to get access to.

Poros are like the only deck trying to use Siren Call that isn't insane. Only ones with a positive win rate are Eve Poros, Champions' Strength Poros, and Xolaani Poros which has a rep in Masters right now. But those strategies are just better with other shells to be put into. It's a low interaction proactive deck that wants to start out-valuing the opponent on turns 5-7 in a format where people are playing Kai'Sa and Second Skinning Valor, resolving Champions' Strength, and playing 16/16s that instantly win the game on attack on turns 5-7. Most decks can either go underneath it or do something busted that can kill through some cheap infinite 4/4s or whatever the Poros are doing. I would be surprised if any Poro deck plays a role in the meta past the first couple weeks of the expansion unless there's a balance patch that substantially lowers the power of the format while buffing Poros.

Neeko Demacia seems actually good. It's yet another Champions' Strength deck, but it's like BC Demacia where there's a couple cards that give another card on play so you can keep restocking your board, and leveled Neeko is at worst a 4/4 Elusive that plays Spirits Unleashed every attack. I think there's probably a build with her that will stick around in the meta.

Nidalee there's some decks like Nidalee Ekko or a Norra Nidalee deck that are doing alright, but Ambush feels like too honest of an archetype in a format where the main control deck pretty much instantly wins when they untap with 10 mana, and there's a bunch of decks where if you don't disrupt their gameplan they can reliably do something so broken that you pretty much auto-lose on turns 5-7. I feel like the past couple patches Riot's been too soft on nerfs and as a result I feel like the amount of degenerate stuff in Standard is higher that it probably should be.

Lastly Xolaani is legit the best Targon champ in the game right now lol. At one point the Eve Xolaani deck played Kayle, but at this point I think people have figured out that at best Kayle is a Xolaani support card and doesn't really do enough for 5 mana in many decks because you actually have to attack with your boosted units to get paid off whereas Xolaani just needs them to die. So now there's a list popping up that leans harder into Eve and just drops Kayle altogether.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
5 mana Poro King always felt too expensive to get going where his value comes from playing cards after. But the effects are strong and we would be having a different combination if he was 4 mana.

Everyone called Siren as a broken card beforehand so no surprise there.

I am also in the boat that we are lacking meaningful interaction tools in Standard. They released a lot of stat stick cards this set but hardly any interactive cards. I guess we have to wait for the PnZ, Shadow Isles and Freljord expansions for that.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That was probably the worst tournament meta for an open I have ever seen in LoR, IMHO.

When a Champion is broken, a good tournament meta because you can simply ban that deck and play the other two. When a non Champ card is so broken like Siren Song, you can play three identical decks with that card and you can't avoid it.

And that's how the results played out, a triple Siren Song deck won the NA opens. This card should have been hotfixed last week and it's on Riot for letting it happen.

Balance patch is coming this week with a talk from devs. They need a major one because this expansion hit the mark big time and not because it didn't interest me personally but all 3 champs and their supporting decks failed to take off. I am personally of the opinion that even if these decks were good they wouldn't be very fun to play against.

We need less stat check and keyword soup decks/cards archetypes in the future.

Blank

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how Siren Song managed to pass the litmus test for being "okay to release". The random husk that is potentially game-breaking is just the icing on the cake.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gargantuan patch notes just hit for LoR!

Some excellent changes in there.. and there are A LOT of changes!

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Excited for the PoC changes. I've currently got a cadence of basically taking a break when I've maxed out champion fragments, since at that point the PoC daily is useless and it's not like you're ever in a struggle to get resources to make cards for PvP. It looks like there's actual incentive to keep playing now for a PoC player once they've maxed out everyone's champion level, so I'm looking forward to see how it feels now. Can't wait!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New Emporium shop as well in the game that sells items customized to you. Also tomorrow there is going to be a Legacy shop sale which will have old cosmetics.

Finally I can actually spend money on the game!

Dealan

The King of Games
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, haven't played since the launch of the Jax/Caitlyn patch. How fucked am I in terms of new cards I need to learn if I want to play standard?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not that much to be honest. Just have to catch up with the Cultists expansion and then the two sets this year. The previous one barely had many strong cards/champs ro begin with. Both Jax and Caitlyn are playable today.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, haven't played since the launch of the Jax/Caitlyn patch. How fucked am I in terms of new cards I need to learn if I want to play standard?
i'm almost in the same boat as I've been off for a while but came back a few weeks ago. But these patch notes got me excited a bit and planning to play a hell of a lot more.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Unfortunately, I learned that even with the store changes, excess wild fragments for PoC still just get thrown into the ether from the daily mission when you're capped out with a fully maxed roster instead of being converted into the new shop currency like everything else. They didn't release another champion with the update, so I tried it for a bit then fell off because I really don't enjoy the feeling getting literally nothing from my daily PoC mission reward. They still insist on capping it and not letting excess wild fragments stack up, so I'm just on another hiatus right now.

I'll be sure to check the game out again when the new champions come out and I can finally spend down the fragments.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Trailer of Nilah ahead the next expansion. I've kinda fallen off from the game once again, but probably pop in once again too.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1699814963529810383

F5b4C2hXwAglQDC

F5b4m4FakAADpeN

Also, new keyword.

F5Wx7tEXEAACJCe

This seems like a spell focused set to please the people who were upset by the previous stats/tribal focused set.

A lot of cool cards shown in just this first group. Nilah is instantly a top tier champion, it's just a matter of figuring out a home for her.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Volibear unveiled. Finally a ramp payoff champ for Freljord and is actually really good.

Great set, so many great options. Should be fun to jump back in.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I do hope Volibear's star power in POC is to summon the mana reduction landmark. One would hardly be able to play him if not.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
The ongoing issue of the game randomly disconnecting and being unable to reconnect has really dampened the expansion for me. Luckily, today was fine for me, I managed to get my daily PvP win and about one and half runs. I'm getting close to maxing out my vaults and I like to either be right at max level or +1/2 extra chests on the dot instead of "wasting" some exp, even though it doesn't really matter. I just got Nilah to 2-star with today's Wild Fragments, so I'll give her a try tomorrow. For now I'm just blasting through the weekly adventures with Jinx to get the rewards. The new power that gives all spells and skills +2 damage is crazy with her since the two rockets you get extra damage twice (since it's +2 to the nexus, then +2 to all enemies).