• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
CARD progression yes

some cosmetic progression will be tied to ranked, as it is in league. beta ranked reward is just icons for now, but i would expect larger rewards like boards & guardians in future seasons
as long as i am not forced to play it to receive any cards, then i am A-OK with never playing ranked.
cosmetics are meh to me and mean nothing but if I was cutoff from building a deck cause I wasn't playing ranked or if I was losing out on huge XP then i'd have to play it

Oct 27, 2017
Kalista needs summon instead of Play for her bonding ability. She is in the color all about revive, yet her ability doesn't do jack shit if you revive her.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
So I've seen a couple of different cosmetic things and I have no idea where to get them. A couple of different boards on my opponents side, and one what the basic board but instead of the Poro it was like a robot dino. Are these carry overs from the closed beta? I don't think I'm quite ready to spend money on cosmetic things, but if I'm still playing this game as much as I am in two weeks or so I think I should throw some money at Riot, and I don't really see a reason to buy wildcards right now.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I've seen a couple of different cosmetic things and I have no idea where to get them. A couple of different boards on my opponents side, and one what the basic board but instead of the Poro it was like a robot dino. Are these carry overs from the closed beta? I don't think I'm quite ready to spend money on cosmetic things, but if I'm still playing this game as much as I am in two weeks or so I think I should throw some money at Riot, and I don't really see a reason to buy wildcards right now.
Hit collection. They show up there. They do cost real money though.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah people need to just leave the emoting for the Shen "GG" so they dont eat crow

I had fun with teemo a few days before I ended up quitting, did a teemo frostbite deck with very meh results (I tended to die just a turn or two before they would...needed some refining for sure), and a teemo jinx aggro deck that worked better.

Yeah I keep hearing people say you want to play teemo early, but I disagree. Its all about leveling him up and waiting for the perfect opportunity to play him while you have a way to protect him. Then once you double up the shrooms a few times, its usually only a matter of time before you win.

Really though, the elusives are what get it done in that deck.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Crafted a dawnspiders deck and man this is pretty easy to play compared to my teemo jank lol. Rhasa is a beast.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Through some freak accident, I got 1 Fiora from each of my Demacia lv 5, 7, and 8 rewards. Time to build that jank OTK deck I've been cooking up.

Kalista needs summon instead of Play for her bonding ability. She is in the color all about revive, yet her ability doesn't do jack shit if you revive her.
In digital card games in general, you're not going to find effects that make you pick targets in the middle of effect resolutions, which is what making it summon would do.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Through some freak accident, I got 1 Fiora from each of my Demacia lv 5, 7, and 8 rewards. Time to build that jank OTK deck I've been cooking up.

In digital card games in general, you're not going to find effects that make you pick targets in the middle of effect resolutions, which is what making it summon would do.
I'm jelly. My lv. 8 gave me another Lux.
I want Fiora dangit!

I'm getting tempted to just buy Fiora and Karma, lol

Oct 27, 2017

How is that problematic for LoR?

How would Thresh fetching attacking Kalista, or Rekindler reviving her be an issue for the stack?

You get to attack with Ashe and target frostbite someone. Same would be with targeting ally with Kalista's bond.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
How is that problematic for LoR?

How would Thresh fetching attacking Kalista, or Rekindler reviving her be an issue for the stack?

You get to attack with Ashe and target frostbite someone. Same would be with targeting ally with Kalista's bond.
Ashe specifically has priority targeting. Kalista would then have to do something similar: bond with strongest, weakest, or random. Idk if that would be a stronger or weaker effect, but it sure would be even LESS flavorful than this current iteration, which is already a watered down version of closed beta Kalista because that theoretical version can't strategically choose whether you want to pressure last breath deaths or go for aggro.

Edit: But that's not to say you're wrong. It is possible to do in this game. Tbh, I'd prefer they just rework her entirely.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ashe specifically has priority targeting. Kalista would then have to do something similar: bond with strongest, weakest, or random. Idk if that would be a stronger or weaker effect, but it sure would be even LESS flavorful than this current iteration, which is already a watered down version of closed beta Kalista because that theoretical version can't strategically choose whether you want to pressure last breath deaths or go for aggro.

Oh right, Ashe does have the strongest.

I don't think that anything can revive/summon her during the combat (when the cards start hitting each other), but I can see something reviving or summoning a champion upon hit/death in the future.

Kalista doesn't do anything if you plan on pulling her out with Thresh or revive with Rekindler/Spells. And with only 2 health, only Teemo is easier to kill.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the bond should persist through her death, so Threshing her out would still be bad but Rekindling her would work. Death doesn't break the bond the other way, so it'd be consistent IMO.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
I just finished my last trial and hit 7 wins! I was completely saved by a single trade pick right before the match that got me a single Detain, I was so happy when I drew it. I think I might actually hit level 12 or 13 this week...

I wonder how shitty the Bronze Rank 4 reward will be. lol
We will find out, together lol

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so close to completing both quests as I got my first 7 win expedition
Cpo8OiO.jpg

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Have barely touched ranked (or constructed), the only deck I've made is Dawnspiders, at this point I feel I might as well wait for the meta to settle into the triangle before I spend more resources crafting. Expeditions is doing me just fine so far.

so close to completing both quests as I got my first 7 win expedition
Cpo8OiO.jpg
you gotta love seeing all that exp

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Have barely touched ranked (or constructed), the only deck I've made is Dawnspiders, at this point I feel I might as well wait for the meta to settle into the triangle before I spend more resources crafting. Expeditions is doing me just fine so far.

you gotta love seeing all that exp
it could have been 5300 if I got that one more spell mana spent.

also... I want to note to people. the number 1 mistake I'm seeing people make is not realizing that
skLCr4W.png

that damage happens before defending.

I've had two people increase the attack of their blockers to kill them only to have them die before they block.

The other thing I'm noticing a lot if people going out of their way to kill them on round 9 only for the egg to be summoned and turn into the champed version on my next turn which makes killing it pretty meaningless.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Hit level 13 chest, been playing only expeditions this week. The bonus xp the expeditions gives you seems to be the best way to level up the chests, and right now expeditions is for sure my preferred play style. Just get to try out so many different decks with it.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Expedition seems to be much tougher later in the week. My trials were something like 5, 6, 6, 7 Tue-Fri, but I struggle to get anything off the ground now. Or maybe anyone not great at the mode has just abandoned it already in general.

Edit: Come to think of it, many of my trials have been in open play. If those players are in their own pool (as they kind of should), that would explain a lot.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Expedition seems to be much tougher later in the week. My trials were something like 5, 6, 6, 7 Tue-Fri, but I struggle to get anything off the ground now. Or maybe anyone not great at the mode has just abandoned it already in general.
I'm guessing it ties to times when more casual players will be playing.
during the week after work people are more likely to be playing casually than say during the super bowl :P

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing it ties to times when more casual players will be playing.
during the week after work people are more likely to be playing casually than say during the super bowl :P
Maybe. But I think the biggest factor is the free token on Tuesdays. And possibly open play that happens after 3 expeditions.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. But I think the biggest factor is the free token on Tuesdays. And possibly open play that happens after 3 expeditions.
true... that could easily mean that tues weds are like the ideal days to try to get more casual players, while sunday and monday will mostly be people who are just doing free expeditions.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Oh, I have a feeling you will be quite a bit higher ranked than me. Call it an informed hunch...
Haha I think I will get out of Bronze, but I genuinely don't know where I will stand just yet.

I actually just played an amazing ranked game where a Jinx + Draven were flexing on me, shooting lots of rockets off, while they Darius-facepalmed me about 80 times that game. I was genuinely making a some misplays and weird decisions though...
And right when I was at like 4hp and they had 8 with a full row, I attacked with my battering ram, rallied with Kat, and then beat him lol. Was very satisfying to wave him many Braum Goodbye's at the end XD

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What should I build next on Tuesday?

-Revamp my Ashe deck with 3 Kats
-Build Fiora/Karma Grand Challenge deck
-Build some kind of Karma/Lux Final Spark deck

Haha I think I will get out of Bronze, but I genuinely don't know where I will stand just yet.

I actually just played an amazing ranked game where a Jinx + Draven were flexing on me, shooting lots of rockets off, while they Darius-facepalmed me about 80 times that game. I was genuinely making a some misplays and weird decisions though...
And right when I was at like 4hp and they had 8 with a full row, I attacked with my battering ram, rallied with Kat, and then beat him lol. Was very satisfying to wave him many Braum Goodbye's at the end XD

Yall are gonna make so much money off those emotes haha - I'm already eager for a loadout

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018

I've only played two games of ranked as I do not have any high-tier decks--still looking at what to craft--but am 1/1 so there's that! lol I was thinking of going Frel/Ionia, but I'll have to see what cards I get as I rank up those regions. I'm having fun just throwing jank together and playing non-ranked games.

And one thing I really like about the game is that it feels like you can turn matches around; or in other words, even if I think I'm going to lose the game by the board state on turn 3, I might be able to swing and win. I guess the variance is high? or maybe I haven't played enough games or meta decks to see the patterns yet.

I also just hit Level 10 Vault again this week (thanks, crappy Super Bowl halftime!)... the progression system is really generous. If you wanna pass that along. :-)

Last edited:

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I need 4000 exp to get to level 10 this week, I feel like I'm too late to get there, even with an extra quest I still have.

hate to go on trips when I like a game this much lol.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
So I built this Fiora deck and maybe it's because it's incomplete, but using all my buffs on Zed has kinda been more effective almost... Given the choice between the two, I'd actually rather hold onto Fiora for later and play Zed on curve.

Also something I've been noticing over time, I'm pretty sure when you see your opponent's champions, they're sorted by number in deck. I haven't sat vs AI and tested this out, but as I switch around champ configs, I've noticed my side switching back and forth when relevant. If this is the case, it's quite a lot of info when playing against >2 champ comps.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
man being capped on weekly xp feels a bit bad, like half that daily win xp is going to the ether. guess i did go a little too ham this week though.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
-Build some kind of Karma/Lux Final Spark deck
I will say, I'm running a super-janky version of this (also has a Shen and a Yasuo) and it's a ton of fun. Just had a game where I got taken down to 5 life by Dawnspiders before I'd done more than 2 damage and ended up completely reversing it. Ended at full health.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Not until full release later this year. But it doesn't look like they plan on supporting MacOS at all.

I'm still very surprised they plan to have the "full release" this year. I almost expect multi-year betas of games like this at this point.

It'll be a nice surprise, but I'm still kinda just wanting to see it before I get my expectations up.

Of course, most betas are just that in name only - like Fortnite. I fully expect a mobile release this year regardless. They'll have to have it if they want to compete with Hearthstone.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm still very surprised they plan to have the "full release" this year. I almost expect multi-year betas of games like this at this point.

It'll be a nice surprise, but I'm still kinda just wanting to see it before I get my expectations up.

Of course, most betas are just that in name only - like Fortnite. I fully expect a mobile release this year regardless. They'll have to have it if they want to compete with Hearthstone.
Yeah this is basically a full game already. Going out of beta just signals that support like expansions etc are set to begin.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is basically a full game already. Going out of beta just signals that support like expansions etc are set to begin.
I wouldn't say that just yet. There's quite of a bit of UX polish, tutorialization, card text misnomers, and bugs left to iron out. Feels like it's in that "the last 20% takes 80% of the time" zone atm.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if I play Chronicler of Ruin on a lv1 tryndamere, shouldn't I get lv2 tryndamere and also a new lv1? basically the chronicler kills it but never revives

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I wouldn't say that just yet. There's quite of a bit of UX polish, tutorialization, card text misnomers, and bugs left to iron out. Feels like it's in that "the last 20% takes 80% of the time" zone atm.
I get what you mean, but considering most online service games that aren't in beta are in a similar or worse state it seems like a negligible difference to me.

if I play Chronicler of Ruin on a lv1 tryndamere, shouldn't I get lv2 tryndamere and also a new lv1? basically the chronicler kills it but never revives
The Chronicler doesn't kill Tryndamere. Tryndamere never dies, it's "if I would die, I level up instead". It never counts as a death, so there's nothing for Chronicler to revive. Chronicler also revives a unit rather than summoning a copy, although I'm not sure if that means anything (yet).

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Chronicler doesn't kill Tryndamere. Tryndamere never dies, it's "if I would die, I level up instead". It never counts as a death, so there's nothing for Chronicler to revive. Chronicler also revives a unit rather than summoning a copy, although I'm not sure if that means anything (yet).

makes sense, so the same iteration of the card must leave the field to come back revived, leveling up doesn't count because it never went away

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
makes sense, so the same iteration of the card must leave the field to come back revived, leveling up doesn't count because it never went away
amusingly enough though if you use chronicler to kill
V9JbtYe.png

it will come back as a 2/2 right away and then at end of turn a second one will be summoned with power equal to the number of times its died.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Yall are gonna make so much money off those emotes haha - I'm already eager for a loadout
lol , I love them even when they are spammed at me(as I plan my comeback)

I've only played two games of ranked as I do not have any high-tier decks--still looking at what to craft--but am 1/1 so there's that! lol I was thinking of going Frel/Ionia, but I'll have to see what cards I get as I rank up those regions. I'm having fun just throwing jank together and playing non-ranked games.

And one thing I really like about the game is that it feels like you can turn matches around; or in other words, even if I think I'm going to lose the game by the board state on turn 3, I might be able to swing and win. I guess the variance is high? or maybe I haven't played enough games or meta decks to see the patterns yet.

I also just hit Level 10 Vault again this week (thanks, crappy Super Bowl halftime!)... the progression system is really generous. If you wanna pass that along. :-)
At first I thought I was gonna wait till I saved up for enough to make my perfect deck, but I think it's more fun to just build it as I play. It almost makes more sense to craft it over time because you can see what works and doesn't in practiceas you go. And since you can't rank tiers down I don't see a downside.

ill pass that along, I sit by the folks who made it :D

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I was thinking of buying a board to mix things up, couldn't decide which I wanted to get, but the music for Freljord put it over the top I think. Ionia in second.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Experienced something new today. I twice ran into players who always let their timer run to the very end. My assumption is that they were trying to get me to surrender.