• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Also, just thought about. It's kinda shitty they bought codemasters, pretty much giving them the monopoly of racing Sims and then turn around and want to get bought out themselves.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Vivendi would take a crack at EA? They have and have had a stake in gaming so why not? And unlike Ubi, EA is looking for buyers of the major media conglomerate variety of which they are.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
EA has a market capitalization of $38 billion which makes a buyout outside of a tech giant (Alphabet, Apple, Meta, Microsoft) all but impossible.

A merger is a more plausible scenario.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I don't think they'll have any trouble with that. FIFA fucked up big time.
FIFA is going to come crawling back to a worse deal than EA was offering previously. I give it one, two years tops. Who are they going to find to develop a brand new FIFA franchise from the ground up, in short order?

They broke up a 30 year marriage with EA, but EA got to keep the house, the cars, the bank account, and full custody of the kids.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
FIFA is going to come crawling back to a worse deal than EA was offering previously. I give it one, two years tops. Who are they going to find to develop a brand new FIFA franchise from the ground up, in short order?

They broke up a 30 year marriage with EA, but EA got to keep the house, the cars, the bank account, and full custody of the kids.
Do we know if their deal will be up before the World Cup? I know there'll be a FIFA 23. I'm sure FIFA were licking their lips at all the potential licensed mobile shit they can have around this years. Be hilarious if the current deal goes just long enough to block all that.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Build a new FIFA franchise without a lot of the leagues due to EA having the exclusive license. It's so silly how they think they'll be very successful without EA. I could understand like the NFL doing this since they own the rights to all the players (technically the NFLPA does) and teams. FIFA doesn't have any of this though, just the name.

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
I'm pretty sure the lion's share of BioWare fans are on PC and Xbox. I don't see that ending well. I'd rather Epic

Do we have numbers to support that? Not to be critical of course. In my own experience I owned an Xbox and 360 but switched to the PS4/5 like I'm sure many did. And isn't KOTOR a Sony exclusive?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
at this point it seems we really are destined to consolidate down to 3-4 main publishers.

i'd rather see studios split off as opposed to one huge company acquire the entire portfolio. there are a lot of solid studios that have fallen victim to the ea curse

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Do we know if their deal will be up before the World Cup? I know there'll be a FIFA 23. I'm sure FIFA were licking their lips at all the potential licensed mobile shit they can have around this years. Be hilarious if the current deal goes just long enough to block all that.
I haven't been able to find those details, but I'm sure they have a partnership in place to continue joint promotions through the release period of FIFA 23.

No reason to go scorched earth and compromise the profit margins.

Build a new FIFA franchise without a lot of the leagues due to EA having the exclusive license. It's so silly how they think they'll be very successful without EA. I could understand like the NFL doing this since they own the rights to all the players (technically the NFLPA does) and teams. FIFA doesn't have any of this though, just the name.
It's finely distilled, unadulterated hubris. FIFA is an organization with fucked up leadership and this is another feather in its cap.

Quote from the President:

I can assure you that the only authentic, real game that has the FIFA name will be the best one available for gamers and football fans. The FIFA name is the only global, original title. FIFA 23, FIFA 24, FIFA 25 and FIFA 26, and so on – the constant is the FIFA name and it will remain forever and remain THE BEST.
So he thinks they will find a partner and have a game out by the time next year rolls around? Yeah good luck with that chief.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I haven't been able to find those details, but I'm sure they have a partnership in place to continue joint promotions through the release period of FIFA 23.

No reason to go scorched earth and compromise the profit margins.

It's finely distilled, unadulterated hubris. FIFA is an organization with fucked up leadership and this is another feather in its cap.

Quote from the President:

So he thinks they will find a partner and have a game out by the time next year rolls around? Yeah good luck with that chief.
"THE BEST" still cracks me up.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
They'll be looking for a partner with valuable IP. EA has heavily relied on exclusive licensing deals for most of their success the last decade and they're not exclusive anymore.

Respawn can only carry them so much.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I would prefer that industry consolidation would slow down a bit.

That said, if MS bought them I would love to see the Codemasters guys get to keep making GRID and DIRT for Game Pass instead of being swallowed into EA to make WRC and F1 games.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
It would be hilarious if Nintendo bought them, 'unprecedented partnership' indeed

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
What about a merger with Discovery Warner Bros.?

Andrew Wilson, wants to keep running the company, so unless the sell is super juici, they would want to pursue a merge rather than a sell. (so I think companies like Microsoft, Google or Apple are unlikely)

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Just make good games. I pretty much have all the consoles, so who goes where doesn't really impact me. Just make good games and put them
On your streaming plans :)

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Who does EA often compete with when it comes to "worst company in America?" Merge with that one.

I'm sure that would be a bank, but still.
I remember the votes like it was yesterday. EA won the title despite another america company failing at security tasks, which then let you unbelievably amount of oil in the ocean. These votes are a disgrace, because there are significantly worse companies than EA in America. Bank scandals anyone? Companies making profit out of weapons used to kill people? Companies not giving a .... about environment like mentioned above?

So many companies deserve the vote more, but of course some gamers need to vent about DRM and vote for EA instead of a companies selling weapons. It's shocking really.

Sorry for the rant. EA as a employee seems to be one of the better ones in gaming. I've never worked for them mind you, but I've read good things. My hope is that whomever gets them doesn't treat employees worse.
Also, just thought about. It's kinda shitty they bought codemasters, pretty much giving them the monopoly of racing Sims and then turn around and want to get bought out themselves.
There is no such thing as a monopoly in a genre. Nobody stops Nintendo for example to greenlight a racing simulator tomorrow.

Last edited:

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Amazon is probably the safest bet if a US based company was going to buy them. They have twitch, Luna, and they own studios and their own development engine. They're pretty invested in gaming.

I don't think EA fits Apples mold. I also don't think Alphabet would be a good fit either. They probably end up selling them off in a few years.

Edit: Also EA ever winning worst company in America is the biggest crock of shit ever. There are companies pricing people out of life saving medicine, oil companies hiding proof of killing the planet, and ISPs that have a near-monopoly on service and speed in many areas of the country

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Amazon is probably the safest bet if a US based company was going to buy them. They have twitch, Luna, and they own studios and their own development engine. They're pretty invested in gaming.

I don't think EA fits Apples mold. I also don't think Alphabet would be a good fit either. They probably end up selling them off in a few years.

Edit: Also EA ever winning worst company in America is the biggest crock of shit ever. There are companies pricing people out of life saving medicine, oil companies hiding proof of killing the planet, and ISPs that have a near-monopoly on service and speed in many areas of the country
And power companies killing people. And clothing companies exploiting child labor. And then there's Nestle, whose "controversies" section on Wikipedia is longer than most entire articles and runs the full gamut of "Jesus Christ, how have they not been burned down".

(Yes, Nestle technically isn't an American company, but as with all of the big massive conglomerates, technically it's so deliberately murky that it doesn't really matter)

Last edited:

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
There is no such thing as a monopoly in a genre. Nobody stops Nintendo for example to greenlight a racing simulator tomorrow.

Obviously nothing is stopping anyone from making Racing Sims, but practically NO third party even attempts to do them. Codemasters is the defacto publisher for Racing sims and not many other companies even attempted Racing sims outside of Microsoft and Sony's first party offerings.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And power companies killing people. And clothing companies exploiting child labor. And then there's Nestle, whose "controversies" section on Wikipedia is longer than most entire articles and runs the full gamut of "Jesus Christ, how have they not been burned down".

(Yes, Nestle technically isn't an American company, but as with all of the big massive conglomerates, technically it's so deliberately murky that it doesn't really matter)

Nestle's history is fucking dark, for sure. Especially their history of heavily pushing baby formula in poor countries, even though baby formula alone isn't a realistic substitute for actual breast milk and can actually lead to serious health issues in developing children.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If Activision does (which it will) then this definitely would

I would argue that the more massive publishers Microsoft buys, the MORE attention the FTC will pay to them in the future. If it starts to look like they're just trying to buy the entire industry to prevent Nintendo and Sony (or any new first party platforms) from competing, the FTC will have to step in and stop them.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
I would argue that the more massive publishers Microsoft buys, the MORE attention the FTC will pay to them in the future. If it starts to look like they're just trying to buy the entire industry to prevent Nintendo and Sony (or any new first party platforms) from competing, the FTC will have to step in and stop them.

But that's really the case is it? they are still massively behind Sony and Nintendo even when activision goes through and owning doesn't really make any difference to Sony or Nintendo if they continue to release on their systems which they would.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
But that's really the case is it? they are still massively behind Sony and Nintendo even when activision goes through and owning doesn't really make any difference to Sony or Nintendo if they continue to release on their systems which they would.
They'll be third behind Tencent and Sony, ahead of Nintendo. And theyre not massively behind at all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But that's really the case is it? they are still massively behind Sony and Nintendo even with activision and owning doesn't really make any difference to Sony or Nintendo if they continue to release on their systems which they would.

I really don't think they're going to keep releasing games on Sony and Nintendo systems. Not a lot of them, at least. They'll half-assedly release like one or two high-profit multiplayer GaaS games (Warzone, etc) on PS5 so they can be like "look we kept our promise", and then make the entire rest of the publisher's catalog exclusive to XB and Game Pass. If I'm wrong, cool, that's good, but I fully expect them to do exactly what I suggested they will.

At the end of the day, one company buying up swathes of the biggest third party publishers like this IS a bad thing, whether that company wound up being Sony or Microsoft or anyone else. We should not be cheerleading for one company suddenly owning the lion's share of the major third party AAA publishers.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
I really don't think they're going to keep releasing games on Sony and Nintendo systems. Not a lot of them, at least. They'll half-assedly release like one or two high-profit multiplayer GaaS games (Warzone, etc) on PS5 so they can be like "look we kept our promise", and then make the entire rest of the publisher's catalog exclusive to XB and Game Pass. If I'm wrong, cool, that's good, but I fully expect them to do exactly what I suggested they will.

At the end of the day, one company buying up swathes of the biggest third party publishers like this IS a bad thing, whether that company wound up being Sony or Microsoft or anyone else. We should not be cheerleading for one company suddenly owning the lion's share of the major third party AAA publishers.

i'm certainly not cheerleading anything if that's what you suggesting, just pointing out the FTC will not block anything, there's currently no reason to at all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
i'm certainly not cheerleading anything if that's what you suggesting, just pointing out the FTC will not block anything, there's currently no reason to at all.

As I said, the point would be that if the FTC notices that Microsoft is making overtures towards buying the majority of the industry's major multiplatform third party publishers, that would be when the FTC has to act.