• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There it is.

I fully expect another Microsoft announcement after the Activision/Blizzard merger has finalized.
I don't see MS going after them unless Sony throw their hat in the ring. But that's also unlikely as it will almost certainly be blocked due to their position in the market.

I'm thinking a fusion dance with another major 3rd party pub. I remember Jeff mentioning that EA were in panic mode when MS announced Activision buyout, might be that they see the manufacturers increasingly using their playerbase for their initiatives limiting the type of business these mega pubs like EA can do. They can't compete with GP and PS variant subscription, they won't be able to outspend MS in streaming space, Dev cost are through the roof, might be a good time to cash out.

Last edited:

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all there's no way in hell MS are going to buy EA. Their acquisition of Activision/Blizzard - which is far from complete - is already being scrutinized to hell and back by regulators. I have no doubt that acquisition will go through, but if MS tried to grab up another mammoth publisher in the industry then I have no doubt the FTC would step in.

Sep 7, 2020
First time in this thread and its going about as well as I thought it would be. Watch someone like amazon or comcast buy them out.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just popped in here so I don't know what the position is yet, but wouldn't saying this in turn show that your position is the opposite of theirs?

Like, if you're muting people that want Microsoft to buy EA, wouldn't that mean that you want Sony to purchase it and are only willing to listen to pro-PlayStation posts?

I'm platform agnostic so idc who gets what, but wouldn't the only "pure" standpoint be that third party acquisitions are bad?
I'm not sure how you got 'I want it to be Sony' from that post.

Wow.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly think if this does happen, it will be with Disney. They've got too much tied up in ESPN to let EA Sports, something synergistically aligned, go.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Why? Is EA not successful anymore?

Not sure about their licensing issue with Fifa etc.

But I guess they are probably trying to sell at a premium to tech giants since acquiring gaming publishers / developers is important to establish one's metaverse ecosystem unless you wanna start from scratch.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
You fear the console maker who is currently putting games on console, streaming and PC day and date? Some of you are too obvious.
All 3rd parties dont even do day and date on PC so....

Wouldn't Sony now being open to putting games on PC also be a thing to consider?

They've been doing streaming for years, just revamped the service....

Some of yall are too obvious.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I don't like monopoly and I don't like what MS has produced with their studios. I don't trust MS
"has produced with their studios"

They had like 5 studios in 2017. Most of their studios have been finishing their existing projects under Microsoft. (Wasteland 3, Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, Ghostwire). I would say give it a few more years before we actually see what Microsoft "has produced" with their studios.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly think if this does happen, it will be with Disney. They've got too much tied up in ESPN to let EA Sports, something synergistically aligned, go.
I don't see Disney wanting to jump back into the game making business when they not too long ago got rid that part of their business and moved to licensing. If Apple wants to make a bigger push into non-mobile gaming EA would be quite the get.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
If it happens I hope the buyer is not a platform holder. I'm so tired of people fighting over acquisitions, it's pathetic.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
If it happens I hope the buyer is not a platform holder. I'm so tired of people fighting over acquisitions, it's pathetic.
If they just merge with a third party, they would probably end up in this same position in a few years, if they don't stagnate and slowly die.

I wouldn't advocate for just the current platform holders, however I think someone like Apple might use an acquisition like this to become a platform holder, so I would be understanding of that.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
A platform holder buying EA just seems to be of little value, unless they intend on staying multiplatform. The various licenses that EA have would all but demand they release those games on as many platforms as viable, Battlefield struggles as it is that also need to be multi platform, and than you have stuff like Apex obviously. Its like Bioware really, and Bioware isn't exactly creating hit after hit that would make exclusivity all that attractive. The back catalogue is potentially the only thing that would be valuable to a platform holder.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how you got 'I want it to be Sony' from that post.

Wow.

I'm saying that you'll only find these takes present here

Wanting a Sony acquisition
Wanting a Microsoft acquisition
Wanting Neither/No merger

If someone claims they are blocking a prevalent take here (pro Sony or Microsoft) and they don't fall in the neither/No merger mindset, it's kind of silly. It's nothing to cheer for in general. Feeling the need to proclaim muting people based on whatever that preference is only highlights individual bias.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Wouldn't Sony now being open to putting games on PC also be a thing to consider?

I don't want EA to be bought by Microsoft. But your argument is just poor. Sony is more open than ever, but they still have yet to release a game day1 to console, PC and streaming simultaneously. Your comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
A platform holder buying EA just seems to be of little value, unless they intend on staying multiplatform. The various licenses that EA have would all but demand they release those games on as many platforms as viable, Battlefield struggles as it is that also need to be multi platform, and than you have stuff like Apex obviously. Its like Bioware really, and Bioware isn't exactly creating hit after hit that would make exclusivity all that attractive. The back catalogue is potentially the only thing that would be valuable to a platform holder.
I think anyone buying EA lets them stay fully multiplat, and is largely hands off. I'd argue atm with their sports games (which now also include F1 which has been blowing up and WRC), Apex Legends, and some huge moneymaker mobile games, EA is one of the most successful publishers currently - with their only big blunder of late being Battlefield. I do expect whoever buys them will leverage their catalog for pushing a cloud gaming service, whether it be one that they already manage, a bolt on to their video streaming service, or a new one

May 14, 2021

Putting them on PC and "being open to it at some point" are the same thing?

May 14, 2021
I don't like monopoly and I don't like what MS has produced with their studios. I don't trust MS
What you like is irrelevant. MS was publisher of the year last year and they delivered games to PS, Xbox, PC and streaming. I can understand not wanting any console holder to buy another publisher, but the implication of only MS being bad when they're the best option for it is ridiculous considering they bring their games to the most platforms of any console maker.

Last edited:

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
The way it looks, they're looking for a buyer outside the industry, which makes sense. EA are trying to cash out, as soon as possible.

MS wouldn't be able to purchase them until July 2023 and then it's going to be ripped to shreds by regulators. I can see Apple or Google making offers. I think Disney is content to license.

May 14, 2021
The way it looks, they're looking for a buyer outside the industry, which makes sense. EA are trying to cash out, as soon as possible.

MS wouldn't be able to purchase them until July 2023 and then it's going to be ripped to shreds by regulators. I can see Apple or Google making offers. I think Disney is content to license.
Apple has been making a big play for live sports (they got baseball and are rumored to have bought Sunday Ticket). Makes me wonder if they are interested in gaming beyond Apple Arcade, if a giant sports publisher would be attractive to them.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Amazon had some plans relating to gaming didn't they? Were are they in pursuit of that?
They hav a cloud gaming service called Luna. Very limited so far, US only, but it works pretty well, and you can try a handful of games a month with prime. In terms of their studios, they published two huge hits on PC in the last year - New World and Lost Ark, both are in the top 10 highest concurrents of all time on Steam.

So still working toward something, but they've been much more successful than other big tech entering the market like Google.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
They hav a cloud gaming service called Luna. Very limited so far, US only, but it works pretty well, and you can try a handful of games a month with prime. In terms of their studios, they published two huge hits on PC in the last year - New World and Lost Ark, both are in the top 10 highest concurrents of all time on Steam.

So still working toward something, but they've been much more successful than other big tech entering the market like Google.

Do you think they're a contender to buy EA?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Probably have more success selling the studios and IP than getting someone to buy the whole package.

They lost the FIFA license, BF2042 flopped hard and DICE in general is incompetent, Bioware has released multiple duds in a row, and Madden has had declining sales.

Respawn is the only bright spot of the whole publisher.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Has Sony put out any games day 1 on PC and Playstation?

Maybe re-read my post? I literally addressed this:

"All 3rd parties dont even do day and date on PC so...."

I'm saying that you'll only find these takes present here

Wanting a Sony acquisition
Wanting a Microsoft acquisition
Wanting Neither/No merger

If someone claims they are blocking a prevalent take here (pro Sony or Microsoft) and they don't fall in the neither/No merger mindset, it's kind of silly. It's nothing to cheer for in general. Feeling the need to proclaim muting people based on whatever that preference is only highlights individual bias.

I just dont get the leap from 'not MS' to 'please Sony' tho.

I don't want EA to be bought by Microsoft. But your argument is just poor. Sony is more open than ever, but they still have yet to release a game day1 to console, PC and streaming simultaneously. Your comparing apples to oranges.

Again, I addressed this in my post.

How can it be poor...if I literally addressed this?

"All 3rd parties dont even do day and date on PC so...."

Add in streaming...and that also applies to 3rd parties.

Putting them on PC and "being open to it at some point" are the same thing?

Are you really saying Sony aren't putting games on PC right now?

Interesting take.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
Maybe re-read my post? I literally adressed this.

I just dont get the leap from 'not MS' to 'please Sony' tho.

Again, I addressed this in my post.

Interesting take.
Day and date? No. Can you count on every exclusive to get a pc release? No. So yeah, there's a huge gulf between the two.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Day and date? No. Can you count on every exclusive to get a pc release? No. So yeah, there's a huge gulf between the two.
....you and others that are saying this....act like all 3rd parties also do day and date tho....

Thats my entire point.

So....to hell with 3rd parties, only MS's way is the best?

Help me understand, please.

May 14, 2021
....you and others that are saying this....act like all 3rd parties also do day and date tho....

Thats my entire point.

So....to hell with 3rd parties, only MS's way is the best?

Help me understand, please.
What do third parties have to do with this? Platform holders buying EA is what's being discussed. Only one platform holder makes a point of trying to put all first party games on PC day and date with the console release. It should be the bare minimum going forward. Third parties don't all have the money and resources Sony, MS and Nintendo have so they shouldn't be held to the same standard.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Probably have more success selling the studios and IP than getting someone to buy the whole package.

They lost the FIFA license, BF2042 flopped hard and DICE in general is incompetent, Bioware has released multiple duds in a row, and Madden has had declining sales.

Respawn is the only bright spot of the whole publisher.
You overrate the FIFA license imo. Did you know that the license only granted the FIFA branding and world cup? Players and clubs arent part of the license.
It's just apples to oranges comparison.
  • Apple = Day1 releases on console, PC and streaming
  • Oranges = Day 1 on console and NEVER day1 on PC or streaming. No guaranteed support of PC and streaming per game either. Just doing occasional ports.
Only Nintendo is less willing to support multiple platforms on a constant basis than Sony. Whereas Xbox is the closest to a third party publisher in terms of commitment to support multiple platforms. That makes your comparing a poor one and pointing out that even third party don't do day and date releases for PC every time misses the part where Sony never does them. There is a difference in doing day1 multiplattform releases 90, 80, 70% of the time and 0% of the time.

For what it's worth my optimal solution would be a merge with another third party publisher. I just wanted to chime in, because you can't compare Xbox and PS in terms of committing to PC or streaming. Sony is slowly and surely getting there, but right now the difference is stark.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
What do third parties have to do with this? Platform holders buying EA is what's being discussed. Only one platform holder makes a point of trying to put all first party games on PC day and date with the console release. It should be the bare minimum going forward. Third parties don't all have the money and resources Sony, MS and Nintendo have so they shouldn't be held to the same standard.
What do 3rd parties have to do with it?

Platform holders buying EA is whats being discussed?

?

Maybe actually read the OP and connected articles.

Unless you think Comcast and Universal are now platform holders?

Yeah, some of yall are obvious.

It's just apples to oranges comparison.
  • Apple = Day1 releases on console, PC and streaming
  • Oranges = Day 1 on console and NEVER day1 on PC or streaming. No guaranteed support of PC and streaming per game either. Just doing occasional ports.
Only Nintendo is less willing to support multiple platforms on a constant basis than Sony. Whereas Xbox is the closest to a third party publisher in terms of commitment to support multiple platforms. That makes your comparing a poor one.

For what it's worth I don't want Xbox to get EA. My optimal solution would be a merge with another third party publisher. I just wanted to chime in, because you can't compare Xbox and PS in terms of committing to PC or streaming. Sony is slowly and surely getting there, but right now the difference is stark.

Once again, even all 3rd parties dont do day and date....

I ask again, to hell with 3rd parties, only MS way is the best?

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Interesting take.
Are you really saying Sony is actively putting all their games on PC on day one?

Clearly, the user is highlighting how inconsistent Sony PC support is as a downside of them acquiring anybody.

I personally think anybody that Sony acquires will keep releasing on PC day and date. However, it is a valid concern, especially compared to the competition.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Between a rates increase and recessionary trends, EA probably missed the boat on being acquired IMO; purchases aren't as cheap as they were in 2020 or 2021.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Are you really saying Sony is actively putting all their games on PC on day one?

Clearly, the user is highlighting how inconsistent Sony PC support is as a downside of them acquiring anybody.

I personally think anybody that Sony acquires will keep releasing on PC day and date. However, it is a valid concern, especially compared to the competition.
Once again.....

"all 3rd party games dont do day and date"

This is in my orig post that kicked all this off.....

I have never said Sony is putting their games on PC day one...

Putting games on PC right now does not equal putting games on PC day one.

Its kinda wild how ppl are just skipping over what I underlined, lol.

Unless something changed in the past 2 days, more than MS and Sony could be considered in this deal.

The articles and OP would be EA still being a 3rd party.....

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Once again.....

But it was in the context of EA, which does put most, if not all, of their library on PC day one.

Late ports to PC are becoming more rare outside of games with exclusivity deals from Sony or Nintendo. There is no need to act like it's a very common thing.

May 14, 2021
Once again.....

Its kinda wild how ppl are just skipping over what I underlined, lol.
Uh no, what kicked it off was you jumping into a conversation I was having with another user who said "anyone but MS".

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wilson seems like he wants to have the reigns into the future and a seat at a new table to do new things across other media, maybe that doesn't jive with potential suitors or limits options. Say a game publisher or platform, he would just be doing the same, doesn't seem like he wants to do that, see the talk of approaching Disney and NBC merger with Comcast. I don't think Microsoft, Google would be his sort of thing. More broadly Sony Media, Disney and sports, yes.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But it was in the context of EA, which does put most, if not all, of their library on PC day one.

Late ports to PC are becoming more rare outside of games with exclusivity deals from Sony or Nintendo. There is no need to act like it's a very common thing.

All 3rd parties dont do day and date. Thats it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Never said it was common or rare.

Uh no, what kicked it off was you jumping into a conversation I was having with another user who said "anyone but MS".

"anything but MS" in a thread about EA going to:

Apple, Disney, Comcast, Universal.

But somehow:

You fear the console maker who is currently putting games on console, streaming and PC day and date? Some of you are too obvious.

Thats being obvious....when as of right now they would still be 3rd party with:

Apple
Disney
Comcast
Universal

I wasn't gonna say it, but what was also obvious is some usual names jumping in to defend a perceived slight at MS..