• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
At this point, it's like all of the Decepticons combining to form Devastator.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This was the same rumor that was floating around just last week. Nothing new here.

www.resetera.com

Kotaku: EA Looking To Sell Or Merge (Apple, Amazon, & Disney Interested) Rumor - EA

Follow up from Comcast report, seems that EA still wants to merge or be bought: https://kotaku.com/ea-acquisition-apex-legends-star-wars-fifa-nbcuniversal-1848957274 This gives a high chance that EA might be acquired in the coming future. Make your bets.

Oct 27, 2017
Would be crazy if apple. They're rumored to making a switch style hybrid console right?

A switch style device with real controls, iOS/tvOS-iPad OS games plus games exclusively for it (consoleOS I'd guess) on M1 would be really impressive tech wise

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
This was the same rumor that was floating around just last week. Nothing new here.

www.resetera.com

Kotaku: EA Looking To Sell Or Merge (Apple, Amazon, & Disney Interested) Rumor - EA

Follow up from Comcast report, seems that EA still wants to merge or be bought: https://kotaku.com/ea-acquisition-apex-legends-star-wars-fifa-nbcuniversal-1848957274 This gives a high chance that EA might be acquired in the coming future. Make your bets.
Yeah it's pretty much covering the same original article

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Apple 🤔 .

I have to think about this longer on whether it would be good or bad.

Interesting though.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I hope someone out of left field buys it, like they announce Domino's or Pepsi is buying EA

every cherry pepsi will now include a free copy of battlefield 2042

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
The Apple Core gaming system powered by the M1 Ultra with exclusives from Electronic Arts. Coming soon to a store near you!

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
What's funny is that other outlets, that aren't Apple focused, are saying that Disney is the front-runner in this case. Not surprising, considering their current relationship. It is surprising in another way, since Disney wanted to do away with their own game studios.

But then again, EA has a lot more expertise in house than just developing games.

Still, fuck this whole consolidation of the industry.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
What's funny is that ther outlets, that aren't Apple focused, are saying that Disney is the front-runner in this case. Not surprising, considering their current relationship. It is surprising in another way, since Disney wanted to do away with their own game studios.

But then again, EA has a lot more expertise in house than just developing games.

Still, fuck this whole consolidation of the industry.
The original report itself says Disney pulled out of negotiations. Anyone saying Disney is the front runner didn't read the actual article.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Would Tim Cook be willing to give his position to Wilson? Doubtful.

It seems like ideally he should be pushing for something like what MS has, where Phil Spencer is an executive of the company and has pretty much full control over the gaming segment. No way any company looking at this purchase is going to let Andrew Wilson take over the entire combined entity.

Oct 26, 2017
Hope it's amazon and they force all EA studios to use Lumberyard.

If I had to suffer, then so must they...

Fun tip: I had a clause in my contract that explicitly forbid me from expressing public opinions about Lumberyard. What does that tell you?

Oct 25, 2017
EA seems like they've been an incredibly poorly run publisher for like decades now. You'd have to imagine that whoever buys them would be targeting their sports division and Respawn, and basically spinning off/selling everything else.
I keep seeing similar takes, but is that actually true? They seem to have pretty good growth over the last 10 years. Are people confusing their hate for EA's games with how the company is being run here?

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon and Disney I could understand but Apple? Their apathy towards gaming is well noted given how incapable Macs are for it by design.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Amazon and Disney I could understand but Apple? Their apathy towards gaming is well noted given how incapable Macs are for it by design.
There's been a few rumors that they're working on a gaming console and it's a logical step for Apple Arcade. Wouldn't be surprised if Embracer was just buying studios to flip itself to Apple.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing similar takes, but is that actually true? They seem to have pretty good growth. Are people confusing their hate for EA's games with how the company is being run here?

Yes someone saying that EA as a corporation has been "poorly run for decades" is insane hyperbole and typical resetera lack of self awareness.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
The original report itself says Disney pulled out of negotiations. Anyone saying Disney is the front runner didn't read the actual article.

Well, blame it on the ones writing their own articles for not actually reading the item on Puck. Which also mentions that Comcast was in talk with EA too, but that one fell through due "to differences in pricing and structure."

Or you know, reporting from another site that omits part of an entire article. For real, many sites don't use the original source, something that has bugged me for years now.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Well, blame it on the ones writing their own articles for not actually reading the item on Puck. Which also mentions that Comcast was in talk with EA too, but that one fell through due "to differences in pricing and structure."

Or you know, reporting from another site that omits part of an entire article. For real, many sites don't use the original source, something that has bugged me for years now.
The Comcast deal hasn't entirely fallen through yet, it was the furthest along that didn't finish while they're still negotiating with Apple, Amazon, and other unreported companies.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing similar takes, but is that actually true? They seem to have pretty good growth over the last 10 years. Are people confusing their hate for EA's games with how the company is being run here?

EA has been ridiculously profitable over the last decade. Strictly from a financial perspective they have been excellent. Activision being the only third party publisher that operates at their level.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
People keep bringing up Amazon, but outside of Twitch their gaming ventures have been rather limited.
I think Disney makes the most sense here. Someone there must be looking at all the game licenses they are handing out and is wondering "Why aren't we getting ALL the money from our IP?"

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
People keep bringing up Amazon, but outside of Twitch their gaming ventures have been rather limited.
I think Disney makes the most sense here. Someone there must be looking at all the game licenses they are handing out and is wondering "Why aren't we getting ALL the money from our IP?"
Disney already backed out according to the original report.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I think Disney makes the most sense here
I do too. I don't think Apple would be able to bring EA into their corporate umbrella, and I don't think Apple would want to buy EA for them to just be an independent company. They haven't done that outside of Beats, and even that team was slowly hollowed out to the point where it's mostly just another brand now

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
The Comcast deal hasn't fallen through yet, it was the furthest along that fell through while they're still negotiating with Apple, Amazon, and other unreported companies.

Wait, first you say it "hasnt fallen through yet", but then you say it has fallen through. XD

Besides, it literally says that in the Puck article. Are Wilson and/or Roberts going to come back to it? Maybe. There's still that chance, but for now it's definitely fallen through though.

"The general terms of the proposal, which lawyers and bankers for both sides negotiated for several weeks, would have seen the Roberts family take majority control of the combined entity," it writes. Although it also claims that deal was refused in the last few weeks due to "disagreements over price and structure".

Oct 27, 2017
I can see why Activision got bought before EA, so much of their revenue and basic business model is tied up in:

1. Practices a lot of countries may try to regulate (Ultimate Team)
2. Licenses that prescribe so much of what is to be made and what platforms it will appear on that there's no scope to expand it any further.

So it's a dicey one for any shareholder to buy into, and if you take those games out basically all you actually want is Vince Zampella and everyone he want's to bring with him.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Hope it's amazon and they force all EA studios to use Lumberyard.

If I had to suffer, then so must they...

Fun tip: I had a clause in my contract that explicitly forbid me from expressing public opinions about Lumberyard. What does that tell you?

There'd be a dark irony to it after those years of EA soft forcing people to use Frostbite

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Amazon getting EA's IP's sounds lovely.
Apple/Disney will make EA's IP's all phone games. Disney and Apple are both terrible terrible companies when it comes to gaming.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Wait, first you say it "hasnt fallen through yet", but then you say it has fallen through. XD

Besides, it literally says that in the Puck article. Are Wilson and/or Roberts going to come back to it? Maybe. There's still that chance, but for now it's definitely fallen through though.
Yeah, my wording was pretty bad. The article states:
For now, then, Electronic Arts remains a potential merger target for Roberts. And, as always in matters of M&A, it's possible that the two parties could come back to the table.
So it seems like the big three currently are Apple, Amazon, and Comcast.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Apple/Disney will make EA's IP's all phone games. Disney and Apple are both terrible terrible companies when it comes to gaming.

I mean, I don't see Disney going for it anyway, because Chapek is looking to cut costs, since they're still reeling from the Fox acquisition and the money they lost on their parks because of COVID-19.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
voonze.com

Apple working on a console with Ubisoft and Capcom | Rumor - How smart Technology changing lives

Apple and video games: a combination that in the collective imagination does not mean much, but in the reality of the market it does exist, since the gaming world is a very important source of profit for Cupertino. Suffice it to say that in 2019, through the App Store, it…

Apple has reportedly been working on a console for a while. My guess is EA's IP wouldn't just be all phone games.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
voonze.com

Apple working on a console with Ubisoft and Capcom | Rumor - How smart Technology changing lives

Apple and video games: a combination that in the collective imagination does not mean much, but in the reality of the market it does exist, since the gaming world is a very important source of profit for Cupertino. Suffice it to say that in 2019, through the App Store, it…

Apple has reportedly been working on a console for a while. My guess is EA's IP wouldn't just be all phone games.
Oh god we don't need another Console, 3 is bad enough wallet wise if you want the exclusives.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, my wording was pretty bad. The article states:

So it seems like the big three currently are Apple, Amazon, and Comcast.

Right, yeah. That's what I thought. :)

Honestly, this may sound weird, but I'd rather EA not sell to any of them. Then again, I'm sure Wilson is looking for a massive payday/golden parachute, and he would most likely sell to Tencent for just that reason alone if the other deals don't work out.