• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Well i mean he beat the living shit out of some poor fella in Zero for not paying his debts.

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
He is a Yakuza tho...
EkejGIKXYAE4rPh

In fact, you only control him as a member of the Yakuza for 3, maybe 4 hours, in the entire franchise (but he was a member for 10 years, give or take, in the lore)

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
For all the talk kiryu gives about being responsible for your actions, he might be the least responsible character in the series lol.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Hasn't there been rumors of Sega being owned by Yakuza? Pretty funny that we are calling a yakuza member (yes he is fictional) a "progressive" guy

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Kiryu is great. He's aesthetically and cursorily "gruff" (sort of like Geralt in The Witcher), but when you actually get into the character he's really very kind and thoughtful and genuinely, consistently trying to live his life in a way that's honorable and doesn't punch down on those beneath him. He's a very good masculine character in a medium that truly does not have very many good examples.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
for some reason my brain did a huge fart and read this as kazuya mishima - boy was i confused for a minute lmao

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Oct 27, 2017
I like that he is different from most game protagonists. Most games never humanizes their characters in this way. He is a good guy who is also stupid and naive at times. Naive to think he can be a Yakuza when he just doesn't have what he needs to be a Yakuza.

I think this on it's own is fine but I really dislike the fact the games makes every protagonist similiar to Kiryu in that they never do bad stuff or kill people. The games sometime go full stupid just to make their characters not kill people.

cephus

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing all this love for Kiryu really makes me happy. Everyone should give these games a try, there's a surprising amount of wholesome content in them that can really brighten up your day.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I feel kinda bad because I'm in the middle of playing 0, and I just want to rush through Kiryu's parts to get back to Goro. Mostly because playing Cabaret Club dress up is so much more fun than real estate, and Osaka has better food. :P

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel kinda bad because I'm in the middle of playing 0, and I just want to rush through Kiryu's parts to get back to Goro. Mostly because playing Cabaret Club dress up is so much more fun than real estate, and Osaka has better food. :P

SAME. I wasn't super feeling Y0 at first but the second I got to Goro's first section, I was hooked. This game is a goddamn blast so far.

Also Kiryu's telephone club side-mission is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a video game.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I heard that Kiryu actually never had sex despite many of the opportunities these games have that you would expect it. Confirm or deny?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
He's an incredible character, really. The thing I admire the most about him is that he allows himself to experience the full range of human emotions and experiences without it ever compromising his masculinity (but rather, bolstering it).
Kazama was an amazing father to raise a man like Kiryu. Kiryu's got his best qualities and took them up a notch. He's dope.
If only Kazama could've given Nishiki some love and attention too.

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Not going to spoiler too much but if you have the chance, play the Cabaret Club Grand Prix in Yakuza Kiwami 2, the ending includes a reunion

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
He literally dropped a real estate empire just to go back to being a gangster.
Not to go back to being a gangster, but more to forge his own path in that lifestyle. Modeling himself after his father's ideals, but also becoming his own example of what a yakuza should be.
I heard that Kiryu actually never had sex despite many of the opportunities these games have that you would expect it. Confirm or deny?
He can go to a hotel and get some in 0.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

oh right lmao I guess that's true. either way it's a weird thing to say and not really fair to the character even. kiryu being a pleasant dork while also being criminal underworld muscle is a great character conceit and it's really weird to only hold up the "wholesome" half

Not to go back to being a gangster, but more to forge his own path in that lifestyle. Modeling himself after his father's ideals, but also becoming his own example of what a yakuza should be.

there is no universe where "being a yakuza" no matter how fitting it is for his character makes him the "most progressive and wholesome" video game character ever. and that's fine! stories shouldn't just be about characters being correct and nice! it's really weird the way some people in this thread are framing him

Status
Not open for further replies.