• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's fascinating to me that we got to the point where having a game localized to your language is considered a standard practice, a few years ago that was unthinkable, and in a lot of countries it still is. Good to see it changing, people shouldn't be forced to learn english just to play video games. Native english speakers have no idea of how privileged they are.

The OP is right to complain, big companies can't just assume their players can speak english anymore, SEGA and Atlus can do better than this.

It used to be you had to learn Japanese to play a lot of games. That changed, but only because the market got big enough that an English release and/or translation made sense. There are a lot of languages in the world, and I understand Spanish is probably second only to English in terms of what's used in the US, but how many translations are considered "standard" before they can release a game?

Like I said before, they released this in Germany and France without German or French subtitles, and personally I think they have a big case as well, but it obviously didn't make sense to translate such a text heavy game.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never claimed otherwise. The point was the only people who decide what is and isn't derailing is the moderation. Just because you call it derailing, it doesn't mean it is unless the mods say otherwise.
But it is, per definition, derailment. The thread was about a nonexistent Spanish dub, not the homophobic contents of the game. Those are two different topics entirely. The mods deeming the latter topic more important than the former (which I would agree with), is a different thing.
Edit: Nvm, just saw they are banned...let's hope this goes over well..

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Lemme hop on the I hate atlus train real quick to get some brownie points on era.
Yes, that's what this is about. You've cracked the code.

It couldn't possibly be because I'm a fan of Atlus' previous work and have been educated about modern Persona's history of affronts to people who have the gall to be who they truly are. From things like the way Naoto is handled in Persona 4 to the trans panic in Persona 3, I can't support what was once one of my favorite developers in good conscience anymore.

It's worth bringing these things up so they don't get buried or forgotten.
www.resetera.com

The Phobic Crimes of Katsura Hashino (Director/Producer, ATLUS)

WHAT IS THIS? It was suggested by several members in the ongoing thread about the Catherine: Full Body scandal (see below) that a "megathread" be created about the man responsible, Katsura Hashino. The purpose of said thread would be to educate Era users about his views, works, and the...
I'm not going to lose sleep over someone bringing this up in discussion of P5. Atlus could just make a non homophobic game and this wouldn't be an issue. You also have an ignore feature so you can just use that.

Otherwise report it.
The only people that decides this person is "wrong" is the moderation team. So unless they come in here and tell this person to knock it off, they are fine. Hence why I suggest using the report function or the ignore function.

Whether you do or not, personally, I don't care.
Thank you.

In any case, I really hope that in addition to changing its stance on the LGBTQ community, Atlus can at least do EFIGS text localizations alongside the customary Japanese and English dubs. It's pretty close to an industry standard for localization.

Feb 15, 2019
Imagine having to research if a damn game comes in the language of the country you releasing.

So a shitton of European countries? I'd bet that a lot of European countries don't even bother to check because they assume it won't be released in their language. The common languages are EFIGS after all, that's a lot of languages missing from just Europe.

I know I at least don't bother checking anymore.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Damn, this thread is American as fuck. Sorry, OP. I definitely get your frustration about no Spanish subs. It's pretty surprising to hear that a game as big as P5 doesn't have them.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Instead when a game comes with only Japanese dub, people go feral.
Oh yeah, that's the dumbest shit. I remember people in this very forum stating that Sega was lazy and not taking the west seriously for not dubbing the next Sakura Wars in english, even though it's being translated in EFIGS.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Some of you people are absolutely terrible. I know someone said a bad word about a company that publishes your anime games but fuck me, have a bit of understanding at his frustration, it's very easy when you speak English and a massive part of the market is catered towards you but not everyone has that luxury, OP is understandably disappointed as he was hoping to enjoy this with his partner, you don't need to whinge at him for it.

I'd say the reactions in this thread are pretty strong for what seems like a pretty niche feature. I nor no one else knows Atlus' financial situation, maybe this series, in which P5 was the first to sale over a million as far as I know, doesn't sell well enough in other territories to warrant translating it in 20 different languages. It sucks, but what are you going to do if they can't afford it? Don't but it and move on; maybe they'll do better with their next game since they'll probably have a bigger budget and Sega behind them

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Xenoblade 2 and Octopath sold more in Spain and were translated so, take it as you like.

And then games like Tales, who come subbed, sell 1250 copies on a year. It's time to face it, selling a JRPG that's not from Nintendo or SE it's grime on Spain.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think that it should be standard that all big games should have Spanish subtitles. It is 2019 and Atlus is a big company, they can set a bit of all that merchandising money to pay a couple of Spanish translators.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a little rinky-dink developer anymore.

They still seem to act like one for some reason though.

Persona and MegaTen games basically started out being on the upper tier of otaku games with a longer heritage than most of then, and since Persona 3 really broke out of that box sales-wise. Atlus Japan doesn't seem to have changed its behavior to adapt to that though. Atlus USA puts a ton of work into the English translations but they still come months after the Japanese. It's as if Atlas Japan doesn't know or care that Persona games outsell a ton of western RPGs in western countries.

And in regards to the Yakuza series, even the English version were an afterthought for the longest times. In the past you'd get the English version years later and until then we never knew if there would be an English version at all. SEGA back then were understandably more focused on getting the games translated into Korean and Chinese. Then Atlus USA came in and the change has been significant. Judgement added FIGS subs for the first time so maybe we can hope for them in Yakuza 7.

Language and Sub information should be readily available on the specific game page like it is on Steam. Both PSN and Xbox fail at this.

I was gonna ask about this. On PC you can just look at a game's store page on any digital game store, and failing that you can check PCGamingWiki. Is there any resource that does this for console games?

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It used to be you had to learn Japanese to play a lot of games. That changed, but only because the market got big enough that an English release and/or translation made sense. There are a lot of languages in the world, and I understand Spanish is probably second only to English in terms of what's used in the US, but how many translations are considered "standard" before they can release a game?

Like I said before, they released this in Germany and France without German or French subtitles, and personally I think they have a big case as well, but it obviously didn't make sense to translate such a text heavy game.

I don't think there was any game officially released outside of Japan with japanese text/audio only. No one ever needed to learn japanese to play a game released in their country. English localization was always the bare minimum.

I know there are a lot of restrictions involving money and time but if you're officially releasing a game in a country it should be possible for the people of that country to be able to play the game without having to learn a foreign language.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i love how people are claiming language entitlement for someone asking for spanish subtitles
some o' y'all acting like OP is going "oh no this game wasn't translated into my obscure dialect of Finnish what a piece of trash"

it's spanish

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Its a valid concern, OP, the ones who should be ashamed is Atlus, not those who dont know or dont want to play the game in English.
I wonder if all those dismissing it as "its in English that should be good enough" handle a second language at the level needed to fully enjoy a game like Persona.

Aunque como latino prefiero jugar mil veces en ingles que en español castellano.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, this thread is American as fuck. Sorry, OP. I definitely get your frustration about no Spanish subs. It's pretty surprising to hear that a game as big as P5 doesn't have them.

Speaking English doesn't mean you're American/North American. There are many places in the world that speak languages that will never see translation that also have English as a second language.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't think there was any game officially released outside of Japan with japanese text/audio only. No one ever needed to learn japanese to play a game released in their country. English localization was always the bare minimum.

I know there are a lot of restrictions involving money and time but if you're officially releasing a game in a country it should be possible for the people of that country to be able to play the game without having to learn a foreign language.

How many languages are spoken in the US? What percentage of them need to be in the game before it can be released, even if it's not being released in any other region speaking those languages?

I'm not saying "so learn English" I'm saying it's reasonable to say that Spanish is not a hard prerequisite for releasing media in the US. Doing a translation may be worth it for increased sales, but if not, I wouldn't just assume everything has spanish subtitles. I don't even think that's standard on Blu-rays or streaming, either.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
I guess they should not release the game in Europe then? If it's for a japanese audience.
I mean, Dragon Quest XI is also a JRPG for a japanese audience but GUESS WHAT? Square Enix subbed the game in French, Spanish, German and Italian
I mean, Octopath is also a JRPG for a japanese audience and guess what? same thing
Even fucking Nier, an unknown game but Square Enix gambled and instead of releasing another game in Europe without language support, like they did with the first Nier, they added Italian, French, Spanish and German and it paid off.

You can't expect to sell a fuckton of copies in EU countries without adding language support, this is not how the market works, if Atlus can't understand this it's their fault and their loss.
Yay comparison with Square-Enix games because of course it's so comparable.
Persona is borderline a niche RPG IP, it's not a fantasy, open-world, big action adventure RPG. It's some japanese high school drama, half boring VN with a shit ton of text to read half old school RPG. Nothing about it screams "yeah it's going to be so successful in the west". P4G was released on a platform nobody cared about, P4 was released 10 years ago on an already dead PS2, you guys realize this right ?
Now with the success of P5 they can safely make more translations to reach more markets.

Oct 25, 2017
That's frankly unacceptable for a major release.

If a game is gonna release in EU and NA at minimum it should come with english, french, german, italian and spanish language options for subs.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus is behind the times when it comes how they handle actually releasing their games.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i love how people are claiming language entitlement for someone asking for spanish subtitles
some o' y'all acting like OP is going "oh no this game wasn't translated into my obscure dialect of Finnish what a piece of trash"

it's spanish
If Atlus pays me I'll gladly translate their game in Luxembourgish. 😂

OP
OP
Manu

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Speaking English doesn't mean you're American/North American. There are many places in the world that speak languages that will never see translation that also have English as a second language.
I mean it's funny you mention this because a lot of people in this thread assume I'm in Spain when I'm in Argentina.

Not even the same continent.

Every country in Latin America other than Brazil speaks Spanish. It's a popular language.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

it's spanish

Yup, I didn't expect these responses here tbh.

I mean it's funny you mention this because a lot of people in this thread assume I'm in Spain when I'm in Argentina.

Every country in Latin America other than Brazil speaks Spanish. It's a popular language.

It should definitely have Spanish. Pd: Aca otro Argentino jaja

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
It's one of the biggest JRPG out there. If Tales of Hearts on the Vita could get translated (yeah, it was a shitty translation but still), Persona 5 has no excuse.
Persona 5 became one of the biggest rpg there when it released. The IP wasn't nearly as big as some of you are pretending, it was very niche in the west.

Oct 26, 2017
Yay comparison with Square-Enix games because of course it's so comparable.
Persona is borderline a niche RPG IP, it's not a fantasy, open-world, big action adventure RPG. It's some japanese high school drama, half boring VN with a shit ton of text to read half old school RPG. Nothing about it screams "yeah it's going to be so successful in the west". P4G was released on a platform nobody cared about, P4 was released 10 years ago on an already dead PS2, you guys realize this right ?
Now with the success of P5 they can safely make more translations to reach more markets.

All that and they sold 2.7 million copies, a respectable number, higher than any Tales of game, any God Eater game, Ni No Kuni 2 and Octopath Traveler.

P.S. You can have a translation even after the game is out, you don't need to wait a decade for Persona 6 to have a FIGS translation in an Atlus game.

It's going to be laughable if SMT 6 has no FIGS support, but i guess Nintendo of Europe will take care of it.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

it's spanish

#2 most spoken language in the world after chinese mandarin, according to various sources
Spanish-Language-Infographic.png

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Imagine believing this is not privilege.
Italian is my mother tongue boy.

We have even more problems than you.

A simple Market research would tell you why small productions cannot always afford or even want a translation.

It's not fucking privilege, it's your entitlement.

Chinese and Indian is spoken by a billion and half people each, guess why no translation for them.

And then which Spanish? European or Generic Latin American ? both? Just because you feel like Spanish is a given?

Sure mate

It's simple logic, just because it's spoken by many people it does not mean it will sell to many people and, particularly, they do not have to do shit, you don't understand it? Don't buy it and give them a message with your wallet.

You have no rights for something you have yet not bought and if you bought in ignorance it's your fault

OP
OP
Manu

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Italian is my mother tongue boy.

We have even more problems than you.

A simple Market research would tell you why small productions cannot always afford or even want a translation.

It's not fucking privilege, it's your entitlement.

Chinese and Indian is spoken by a billion and half people each, guess why no translation for them.

And then which Spanish? European or Generic Latin American ? both? Just because you feel like Spanish is a given?

Sure mate
I'm glad you know my entire life history from this thread to ASSURE that you have more problems than I do.

And I'll take any Spanish translation. I'm not being picky.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Atlus kind of don't give a shit to anything not Japan. If there wasn't an Atlus USA, dunno if an english version would be a thing for sure.

Unfortunately, they're as backwards as they can be, while Sega kind of don't care to shake them as well.

Dec 15, 2017
Damm... era has such a hard on for their Japanese games they will stand out for all bullshit from the devs. Besides I know the forum has a huge Anglo bias but please don't downplay the OP. He has a legitimate concern.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I figured you were from Latin America actually so bonus points for me :P

My parents are from West Africa so English is a second language for them but everyone there speaks English even if it isn't a first language.

Anyway, it definitely does suck that the game has no subs given how even tiny studios can sub their games in many languages

Atlus just really doesn't give a fuck about anywhere that isn't primarily Japan.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, just a few years ago, it was anybody's guess if an Atlus game was even going to be released in Europe at all (many didn't even get a release) and even if it did get a relase over here, it was typically way later than US/JP (e.g. the first Etrian Oddysey game was only released in Europe about 1 year after US and 1.5 years after Japan).

So, progress... I guess?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
P5 took years to be translated to english. It would never come out lol

But I'm a portuguese speaker and about 1% of JRPG's are subbed to me, so never cared