JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah, no. You're derailing the thread. I don't even disagree, but it's so obnoxious to insult the fans of the game or the game itself. It's literally 100 lines of dialogue in a game the length of 3 Tolstoys.
Wahhh I can't talk about my game that spreads hateful stereotypes! I just want to ignore these harmful issues and enjoy it with absolutely no critical thinking!
Don't forget the teacher / underage student relationship shit. The whole game is a mess.
This shit deserves to be called out and is absolutely valid to discuss in any thread about both Persona 5 and Atlus in general. Ignorance will never lead to change.

Meanwhile, "on topic,"
Dark Souls 1-3
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts 3
Tales of Zestiria/Berseria/Vesperia
God Eater
Nier Automata
Code Vein
Dragon Quest XI
Octopath Traveler
Digimon
Ni No Kuni 2

Litterally all the big JRPGS are translated.
And Atlus absolutely has the budget for this now. It's not a little rinky-dink developer anymore. It has brands with global reach and any and all messages its products contain deserve to be reviewed and criticized. This includes localization and language support as well as any bigoted and stereotypical views it holds.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know. I said it in the OP.

But again, 99% of games, including JRPGs, have Spanish subs. Why would I assume that Persona 5, one of the most high profile games to come out of Japan, wouldn't have them?
well now you know to never asume, and always take 2 min to check shit before giving anyone your cash

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Do any Atlus games include Spanish language options? Even TMS doesn't and Nintendo does EFIGS for like everything these days.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Why would a JRPG have Spanish subs? Your English is fine enough to complain so I guess you can still play the game. Next time do some research.

Because it releases in Spain? what kind of line thinking is that? of course a game releasing in Spain will have spanish subtitles, it doesn't matter if it comes from Japan or from anywhere.

Btw almost all JRPGs come subbed. Persona is the oddity because... I dunno.

Comparing most of those to P5 who had not even a fixed European publisher is laughable at best. And Bandai Namco themselves said that it's not worth it to translate the Tales games to Spanish because the public doesn't give a shit about them. The only J-RPGs people buy here are Final Fantasy games and Pokémon.

Even the most small selling game have atleast Spanish subs. Whatever BN says it's just bullshit excuses.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I can't understand why people here are so angry about a legitimate complain. Every single game should have at least a text translation to every market it's released for. We don't have this problem with movies, books or TV shows, why should we have with games? This is inexcusable.

Oct 26, 2017
Comparing most of those to P5 who had not even a fixed European publisher is laughable at best. And Bandai Namco themselves said that it's not worth it to translate the Tales games to Spanish because the public doesn't give a shit about them. The only J-RPGs people buy here are Final Fantasy games and Pokémon.

I mean lol

There's fucking SEGA Europe in Europe and they can easily publish their games, if they can't ask SEGA Europe to publish their game and they have to search for a publisher they are laughable, this is 2019, it's not early 2000s anymore

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
literally how many jrpg's release with E+FIGS translation? Get off your high horse lmao.
90 percent of the games now release with efigs.

Theres people who were not as lucky as you and me (because i really hope entering this thread you are not of an english speaking country) that really would like to enjoy this games but cant.
Get YOU off your high horse.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean lol

There's fucking SEGA Europe in Europe and they can easily publish their games, if they can't ask SEGA Europe to publish their game and they have to search for a publisher they are laughable.

Atlus self publishes their games on Japan and the US too. They only got Deep Silver as a fixed publisher a few months before release. Sega does nothing with the Persona IP.

Oct 27, 2017
Have to admit, I'm pretty shocked and didn't realise this game didn't have a Spanish sub. It's one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, seems pretty daft alienating a market that large.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why this is something you wouldn't check on beforehand if it means that much to you.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so you'd be proud telling your gay and trans friends you enjoy this game? Assuming you have any.
Again fuck off with this shit. I agree that the stuff persona has is very problematic and needs to change, There is nothing wrong with calling it out. There is an issue with how you are acting. I can still enjoy the game well having issues with how they have handled it but it doesn't mean I have to hate the game or never play it again.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 1-3
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts 3
Tales of Zestiria/Berseria/Vesperia
God Eater
Nier Automata
Code Vein
Dragon Quest XI
Octopath Traveler
Digimon
Ni No Kuni 2

Litterally all the big JRPGS are translated.
These are all way bigger companies than Atlus though right? I know Persona sells more than some of these games but their global presence is far better. Remember, Personas success is relatively new. All the companies you've mentioned have have had great success over the years that made them capable of it. I'm not saying that Atlus isnt able to now, only that it takes time to build the resources to do this regularly like the companies that make the games you've mentioned.

Edit: Also want to mention that I know they are owned by Sega but that is a relatively new thing. P5 was their first release under Sega right?

Nov 23, 2017
This shit deserves to be called out and is absolutely valid to discuss in any thread about both Persona 5 and Atlus in general. Ignorance will never lead to change.

Meanwhile, "on topic,"

And Atlus absolutely has the budget for this now. It's not a little rinky-dink developer anymore. It has brands with global reach and any and all messages its products contain deserve to be reviewed and criticized. This includes localization and language support as well as any bigoted and stereotypical views it holds.
there are dozens of topics on ERA alone about that issue about Atlus and P5. Literally dozens. It's not needed in every topic about the game.

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
whatever way you want to excuse your condoning of shitty behavior because you want to play a fucking anime game, go ahead

a million other games out there that don't include hateful shit but no, you need your anime boy #6837463
You can still enjoy problematic media and criticize it for its problematic aspects. Someone can like the game without being a homophobe. Even though the game is homophobic.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Three things:
- You rightly admitted to this earlier, but it's important to note; BUYER BEWARE. Don't blindly buy goods and services without making sure that they don't comply with your requirements. This complaint is the equivalent of me purchasing Dragon Quest 11 for 3DS on a trip to Japan and then going up in arms about it not being in English because I paid for it.

- Atlus is leaving money on the table if they aren't translating their games to meet a subset of the population that wants to play them

- It is up to Atlus to decide if it's a market worth entering for them. Maybe they think it's too cost-prohibitive to translate, maybe they're dumb, I can't read minds.

So .... have you tried asking for a refund?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
These are all way bigger companies than Atlus though right? I know Persona sells more than some of these games but their global presence is far better. Remember, Personas success is relatively new. All the companies you've mentioned have have had great success over the years that made them capable of it. I'm not saying that Atlus isnt able to now, only that it takes time to build the resources to do this regularly like the companies that make the games you've mentioned.

You don't get success in a country if you can't even be bothered to sub your game to their language.

People is not asking for dubs (btw, even fucking Sekiro got DUBBED, I know Acti but still).

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how many people are thinking "it's ok because it's always been like that". What a backward ass way of reasoning. It's the worst argument you could think of. Just say you don't give a fuck and I would at least understand you, but defending the status quo on something that is clearly a real issue for a ton of people, just not you, is so selfish and stupid.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the way how dialogs are illustrated in P5 forces to check layout and typography more carefully than with "classic" overlaid subs.

Nov 23, 2017
whatever way you want to excuse your condoning of shitty behavior because you want to play a fucking anime game, go ahead

a million other games out there that don't include hateful shit but no, you need your anime boy #6837463
For one, anime as an insult is soooooo lazy.

Anyway, whatever. Im not the only person telling you you're being a prick. I am secure in my own self enough to say that I am probably more left wing than you are, but you know for some reason I don't feel the need to prove it in unrelated thread. To you all 2 million sales are to bigots I guess.

Oct 26, 2017

If you don't start by putting some effort in translating games in the major european languages you can't sit and expect huge sales that's the thing.

And there are plenty of third party studios that can translate their games in several languages, they just need to spend the money.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Language and Sub information should be readily available on the specific game page like it is on Steam. Both PSN and Xbox fail at this.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Not going to argue for their stance, but the problem is that there really isn't a game quite like this series. I take it you probably didn't play it because of its contents, so I get your point of view. But it seems like many others feel like having an 80+ hour game with 2 minutes worth of homophobic content is a price they are willing to pay. It's not like people who did enjoy the rest of the game are unable to call Altus out on their bullshit.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
no you can't. If you're playing this game you're actively condoning homophobia and transphobia. But keep telling yourself otherwise.

This is stupid. You can voice criticism for a troubling aspect of a game (in this case, as miniscule part of a 100 hour game) while still playing/enjoying it. That doesn't make you a hypocrite. That you genuinely believe people can't do this without condoning said troubling aspect is definitely a problem, though.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
literally how many jrpg's release with E+FIGS translation? Get off your high horse lmao.
Excuse me? It's a high horse to want to be treated like an entire group of people and be able to play a game in your language? I didnt know japanese and english were the only real languages.

Weebs are awful

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I'm talking subs, not a dub. I'm not expecting a dub. Just basic-ass subtitles. Most games even with super low budgets have them.

I can play it myself, but I was gonna play it with someone else who now will be left out. I don't really want to do that.
I mean, I get that, really I do but you can translate. Good way to learn English too.

In any case, in this day and age the cost of a Spanish sub should be easily covered by the sales. This is more of a Sega issue than an Atlus one though, the parent company should be the one making sure this kind of stuff is ensured.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
no you can't. If you're playing this game you're actively condoning homophobia and transphobia. But keep telling yourself otherwise.

I played Persona 5 for 4 months of my life. 2 minutes of playtime in those 4 months on some random day there was some content in the game some would deem homophobic. For that...I am a bigot. Got it.

OP
OP
Manu

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
For context: A game not having Spanish subs was a concern last gen and before that. Every single game I've bought this gen with the exception of Persona 5 has had a Spanish translation, at least subs if a dub is not available, even if the quality of such translation wasn't the best. It's been years since it's been something I had to actively worry over.

So yeah, I should've checked, but you also need to understand I haven't had to do it in a long, long time. It's Atlus who are being backwards here.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
You don't get success in a country if you can't even be bothered to sub your game to their language.

People is not asking for dubs (btw, even fucking Sekiro got DUBBED, I know Acti but still).
Yeah I know, I'm just saying that you have to succeed in major markets before you can put out games in other markets. I know that they absolutely should have these things but comparing them with companies that have been around making hits longer seems a little weird. P5 is by far their best selling game. I'm sure they want to be in those markets too. I'm sure there is no malice behind this decision and they will eventually get there.

Nov 23, 2017
Not going to argue for their stance, but the problem is that there really isn't a game quite like this series. I take it you probably didn't play it because of its contents, so I get your point of view. But it seems like many others feel like having an 80+ hour game with 2 minutes worth of homophobic content is a price they are willing to pay. It's not like people who did enjoy the rest of the game are unable to call Altus out on their bullshit.
My stance is that the scene on the beach and any with those two older men characters is fucking appalling, to be clear. But yes, that second part is exactly how I feel.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017

I think you're forgetting P5 was the first Persona to sell well, it's sort of unfair to put it on the level of some of the biggest games in the genre.

Oct 26, 2017
Funny to see native english speaker brushing off the criticism because they already have their games in english and who fucking cares if other non native english speakers want to play games in their native languages.

Just ERA thing.

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Between the subtitles and their illustrations and yeah, the fact that is not translated to Spanish, it's quite shit. Honestly I don't remember big JRPGs (someone will try to pull the "Atlus is indie" card) not translated to Spanish.

I didn't buy the game between this and the rest of stuff Atlus pulls out of their asses. Not giving them money.

This is stupid. You can voice criticism for a troubling aspect of a game while still playing/enjoying it. That doesn't make you a hypocrite. That you genuinely believe people can't do this without condoning said troubling aspect is definitely a problem, though.

While I agree people shouldn't point at you/others because of having played the game, buying it does mean you have paid the people who say, defend and write in their games homophobic and pedo scenes. Now, after that, everyone's mindset can be different, some people won't mind it, some people might be troubled by it, but the fact is that buying the game does support Atlus mindset about these issues.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
hopefully getting straight and cis people who enjoy this game to at least look at it with a critical eye and demand better of Atlus

You're not doing a good job of it. What have you actually said to make people be more critical of the product besides saying its shit and if you like it you're a hypocrit?

They want everyone to hate P5 and it's not going to happen. Also, they are actively derailing the thread and turning into a pile of garbage.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing the games failures. Atlus did it to themselves.

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017
I know, I know it's on me at least in part, I should've checked before but come on, even Bamco's zero budget Digimon games have a translation of some sort. Atlus really don't give a fuck huh? How is it possible that in the year 2017 a high profile JRPG can release without a translation to one of the most spoken languages in the world? Fucking Kickstarter indie games have spanish subs 99% of the time.

My SO was really looking forward to trying the game and even encouraged me to buy it, because the artstyle and aesthetic are right down her alley. Now she can't play it, and I'm not gonna be an asshole and play the game by myself. I guess into the backlog it goes. Money down the toilet. I'm so fucking angry. Sorry for the rant.
So I know its a metric fuckton of dialog BUT would a *live* translation by you of it to her be out of the quesion? I know its a big hoop to jump through but its an option if yall are both really into playing the game.

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, I get that, really I do but you can translate. Good way to learn English too.

In any case, in this day and age the cost of a Spanish sub should be easily covered by the sales. This is more of a Sega issue than an Atlus one though, the parent company should be the one making sure this kind of stuff is ensured.
It's an issue with the English translation too. Seems like the game just didn't get a good translation budget anywhere. I'm really curious whether the rerelease will fix any of that.