• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Lmao, come on. He/She said since the PSone, how many games has been released since? Of course it's not true.
I just came up with a Wii game off the top of my head and it sold more than GoT. Wii Fit sold more than 261k in its first week.
Wii Fit is Nintendo's best selling new IP at 254k but with a pretty low digital rate GoT easily beats that.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, much deserved

rJjMVns.gif

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, come on. He/She said since the PSone, how many games has been released since? Of course it's not true.
I just came up with a Wii game off the top of my head and it sold more than GoT. Wii Fit sold more than 261k in its first week.
With digital, GoT almost certainly outsold Wii Fit at launch.

Most successful new Nintendo IP have relatively soft launches (compared to their established franchises), but sell incredibly well over time.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
People are going to call this bait and ignore the:

Tiny FOV
Annoying camera during combat
Shoehorned-in Batman investigations
Several quests following the same formula of: Ride Horse with person > Investigate evidence/Scout combat arena on hill/Trail suspicious people > Combat arena
Dryly written, mostly uninteresting characters
Poorly incorporated stealth

It's ok if you don't find fault with that stuff, but not everyone has to pretend the game is flawless. It does some big things well though.

I agree with all of this, but still think it's a great game. It's pretty much the only big PS4 exclusive I've enjoyed in years, so maybe that just says something about my taste. I guess I just love the combat and environments.

Oh, and add unskippable cutscenes to the list. At this point, I just don't care who betrayed who or "x killed y family member" - I just wanna run around and fight dudes.

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see the game do well. The game has its issues in terms of narrative and tackling complex issues, but the core gameplay loop is exactly my vice. It's got that "one more" quality that keeps me playing late into the night. I can nitpick the game all day but man, just the overall experience is just so good.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I'm just happy Sucker Punch's combat system of the game also hella fun.

And the sound effects of blade slashing steels & flesh...

5fe7d186138cfebc3b4b34f9473a1cd6_w200.gif

Mar 18, 2020

Tiny FOV
Several quests following the same formula of: Ride Horse with person > Investigate evidence/Scout combat arena on hill/Trail suspicious people > Combat arena

It's ok if you don't find fault with that stuff, but not everyone has to pretend the game is flawless. It does some big things well though.

You're absolutely right.
It's very nice to look at and the Japanese VO is good, but it's the same game we've played many times.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I was by far the best game I've played from that list of first party games, and may very well be my game of the generation. Incredibly happy the game sold well above expectations.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Congrats to them, im sure its super nerve wracking releasing a new ip after having success with a different one. Great to see it be so well received and i personally love the game. Excited to see what they can do with a sequel after the feedback they have received on this one.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to have numbers to back up the earlier news. Wonder how it will do in the following weeks.

Didn't move many PS4s in Japan though. Anybody who is interested in a PS4 probably has one already there.

There is a shortage of new PS4 systems. Would be nice to know if GOT has increased demand on preowned PS4 systems in this situation.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Never ever would have thought a game not developed in japan would achieve sucha thing. Really exciting times ahead.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Always great to see good new IP's doing well. Japan is in strong need of them

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best open-world game of the gen as far as I'm concerned, or at worst 1a with Spider-Man. Good to see it do so well across the globe.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved, game is fucking amazing and a dream come true for a lot of people.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just the biggest launch for a first-party new IP on the PS4, it's the biggest launch for a first-party, including Nintendo, new IP on any console since the PS1.
Knack (PS4), Rogue Galaxy (PS2) and English Training (DS) were all higher. There were higher spinoff series debuts too (Wii Fit, Pokémon Pinball, Fighters Megamix, etc) but not really new IP.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017

Tiny FOV

So you go from mediocore to flawless? What ever happen to okay, good and great games?

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Good job SP! This game is really something else, usually get bored in open world s games. But not this one. It's perfect and I'm enjoying it more than tlou2.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and now? Thank you for telling me. I would have never known hmmm

Last of Us 2 First Party Title
Ghost of Tsushima First Party Title
Both came out this year
Both are singleplayer

Oh...stop somehow related here hmm....

Totally unrelated post.

So why not mention all the other games that fit similar criteria?

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Congrats to Sucker Punch! Can't wait to play it on PS5 in enhanced splendor.

That's right folks. Anything less than 100 perfection sucks.
We must learn to think that a finely crafted game selling well is a bad thing because some people won't like it anyway!

Can you tell me where this "niche-man" meme comes from? I'm seeing a lot around here.
Someone here mentioned that "Niche-man" would be an appropriate title for a certain game, given that it would have little appeal and low sales.