• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ash is an Ultra Beast then. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Uuuuh... About that:
latest

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny that it took over twenty years for one of the protagonists to have their life story finally told. We know much more about Team Rocket's backstories than Pikachu's.

Giovanni is Ash's dad.
Giovanni canonically has a son, but it sure as hell isn't Ash.
I still hope Kukui is Ash's Dad. Would make so much sense in my head with their relationship in Sun & Moon.
Kukui is still Ash's Dad even if they are not biologically related.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
One thing to note is that it seems like Satomi Korogi is back as Pichu going by the clip in the trailer. She was absent as Pichu for quite a long time before finally returning fittingly in Smash Ultimate. Ironically, she was the second voice for Mew in Movie 8 and Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon and is NOT here. Whoever is doing Mew now sounds AWFUL!

What happened to Mew's original voice actress? Her clip's still used in Smash to this day I think.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Not really. There have been many references

in the Whirl Islands, Ash mentions seeing Lugia in the Orange Islands
Drew is from the city in the Deoxys movie
In the Darkrai movie, Dawn buys a Lunar Wing which is then seen again in a Darkrai episode much later.

To name but a few

I remember BW movies trailer that about Mew Two show that Satoshi was remember him but the actual movies he didn't.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they explore the backstory of why he was so chonky in the first season
A lass was Pikachus previous owner. They shared everything and became trusting best buddies. That was till pichu disappointed her. Her cute little pichu turned into Pikachu thanks to the bond they shared and what they went through. So she left it behind to rot to death fending for itself. Feeling betrayed but unable to care for itself it seeks out refugee in a city where it stumbles into the prof. He sees the abonded and mistreaten pikachu that never had learned to fend for itself and decides to foster it till it can trust humans again. That's when ash appears and the prof desperately needs a pokemon.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Help me understand something PokERA, why does anyone care for the backstory of a Pokemon (albeit the most well-known)?

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lass was Pikachus previous owner. They shared everything and became trusting best buddies. That was till pichu disappointed her. Her cute little pichu turned into Pikachu thanks to the bond they shared and what they went through. So she left it behind to rot to death fending for itself. Feeling betrayed but unable to care for itself it seeks out refugee in a city where it stumbles into the prof. He sees the abonded and mistreaten pikachu that never had learned to fend for itself and decides to foster it till it can trust humans again. That's when ash appears and the prof desperately needs a pokemon.
Is Pikachu Jibanyan? :v

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Man I stopped watching/playing Pokemon in the mid-90s. Its insane to hear that Ash only recently won the tournament and they are just now getting into Pikachu's origin.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Pichu feels like there is an earnest effort to make it like a bigger mascot for the series every few years but it never really sticks.
I know the circumstances are different here but does anyone else feel like that happens?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does anyone care for the backstory of the toys in toy story?

I have no idea anyobut thanks for answering my question with another one.

because it's the one who accompanied ash since the beginning and we don't know why he was so unruly at first and so on? I don't particulary care myself but it's obvious why it's a big deal for the fans

I see, can't even remember back that far

Oct 25, 2017
The art direction in sun / moon was awesome. I can't figure out if they are staying the course with it or not. Seems like a mishmash so far ? either way I hope they keep the humor from it. Sun Moon had some great humor that they even managed to translate somewhat in dubbing. I haven't seen that in pokemon in a long time.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
"Pikachu what? Who's your trainer?"

"Pika pik!"

"No trainer? Alone. Alright then, Pikachu... Solo."

viral

Oct 25, 2017
How do Pokemon breed? If two Pikachu had sex, would their offspring be a Pichu?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Does happiness evolution exist in the anime? Pichu gonna have that Charmander->Charmeleon personality change and become a dickhead.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
It had never occurred to me they could make an origin story. was fine with him just being "a pikachu Oak caught that was kind of a jerk."

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Why does Pikachu need a backstory? Can't he just be some random Pikachu that Prof. Oak happened to catch some day?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pichu feels like there is an earnest effort to make it like a bigger mascot for the series every few years but it never really sticks.
I know the circumstances are different here but does anyone else feel like that happens?
They tried in Gen 2. Then again for Spiky Eared Pichu for when Gen 2 tried being remade.

It's always when they revisit Johto/Baby Pokemon do they try making Pichu a stronger marketing force.

But the weird thing is, what they do with Pichu is always somewhat successful but they never carry through with Pichu outside of its initial marketing push. The Pichu Bros Shorts at the start of Gen 2 movies are very nostalgic and memorable to adults now. Had they kept up with those shorts and gave more identity/marketable moments, Pichu could have been just as marketable as Pikachu.

I still miss Notched Eared Pichu and wish he was carried over to other games. :/

Gamefreak and Pokemon Company just don't commit to the little guy.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Delinquent Pikachu from the first dozen episodes of Indigo League was great. He's still got a personality but it was nice when he was a bit of a tsundere.