• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Naruto series pretty much gave up giving any of there villains an end to there arc, in favour of replacing them with new villains

Only pain and zabuza really got complete stories, and even pain gets pushed to the side as 'WOAH HE WASNT REALLY A BAD GUY, AND ALSO NOT THE HEAD VILLAINS' Who turns out to be tobi, who turns out to be working for madara, whos being tricked by zetzu, whos actually working for kaguya.

Its a mess.Orochimaru was the big bad for most of original naruto, then just gets killed by sasuke in a random episode and isnt seen for ages,

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
There are a lot of ass pulls and un-earned redemptions in the post-Pain era of Naruto. A lot of them come with explanations that range from laughable to acceptable enough to ignore.

Except Orichimaru.

I haven't even seen an attempt at an explanation for his freedom. Is anyone reading the Boruto manga? Can someone tell me if this topic has been touched? Like at all??

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
8a3.png

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It really does feel like kishimoto actually forgot about orochimaru at a certain point. His irrelevancy is so extreme after like...Sasori, that he loops around to being a neutral player again. His rage against the leaf is basically a forgotten issue, it's so strange.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of ass pulls and un-earned redemptions in the post-Pain era of Naruto. A lot of them come with explanations that range from laughable to acceptable enough to ignore.

Except Orichimaru.

I haven't even seen an attempt at an explanation for his freedom. Is anyone reading the Boruto manga? Can someone tell me if this topic has been touched? Like at all??
It's explained in one of the Naruto novels and was then added to the anime.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I mean fuck it, at this point, I'm okay with Orochimaru getting away with it. The characters whose lives he ruined don't give too much of a fuck...and someone needs to raise his kid. And he's a Trans Rights icon now, so it's not like he's too much of an asshole right now.

Oct 25, 2017
People keep bringing this up, but it was explained.

Not really. He pretty much gained everyone's trust during Namek except for the people who were dead then and those people got over it when he became a Super Saiyan.

In regards to Orochimaru he gave up on his plans to destroy the village during the final arc.
Vegeta was an asshole to everyone always until Cell killed Trunks. He was still a villain on Name that they reluctantly teamed up with because they didn't have a choice and he was an absolute ass on Earth and half the group still hated him. Vegeta didn't become an actual good guy until Buu and then he immediately went Majin.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Vegeta was an asshole to everyone always until Cell killed Trunks. He was still a villain on Name that they reluctantly teamed up with because they didn't have a choice and he was an absolute ass on Earth and half the group still hated him. Vegeta didn't become an actual good guy until Buu and then he immediately went Majin.
He said "trust" and these guys certainly got over Vegeta being evil way before he actually changed.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Mayuri from Bleach? Didn't he plant bombs in his underlings or something? I wish he got some kind of punishment too.

He works in the role because 1. he never actually betrays Soul Society 2. he's a necessary evil that is constantly saving their asses and you can understand why they keep him around and 3. nobody ever tries to sugarcoat the fact that he's a repellent piece of garbage despite those first two facts.

With Orochimaru it makes absolutely no sense why they keep him around.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
He works in the role because 1. he never actually betrays Soul Society 2. he's a necessary evil that is constantly saving their asses and you can understand why they keep him around and 3. nobody ever tries to sugarcoat the fact that he's a repellent piece of garbage despite those first two facts.

In one of the novels its stated the reason everyone agreed to keep sasuke and orochimaru around was the exact same reasons you just stated, everyone that's not naruto wants sasuke around because of his rinnegan and Orochimaru for his genius since world leaders are still worried about the otsutsuki

Oct 25, 2017
He said "trust" and these guys certainly got over Vegeta being evil way before he actually changed.
They really didn't. He was just there and half of them carried a grudge. Goku was over it. Gohan was used to it. Krillin was 50/50.

This was pretty much the attitude of the group the entire saga.

"He's an asshole, but he's strong and technically on our side."

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Wait... that's seriously where the storyline's gone? I gave up on caring about this stuff at the time skip. There was seriously no lasting reprocussions for Orochimaru ever?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
There are plenty of this kind of character in fiction. I'm guessing they were fan favorite during the series run.

See Bakugo.

Oct 29, 2017
Orochimaru was an excellent villain for a while, so it's a shame he became what he did. I really wish he had remained the ultimate villain of the series, even with the akatsuki villains still being an element throughout. By the end of the series I just wasn't invested in any of the villains, which was a shame because Naruto used to do villains pretty well.

Imagine:
-Sasuke seeks out Orochimaru, finds him, uses him for power and leaves (as he does).
-Orochimaru heals, and has his minions seek out Sasuke as Sasuke tracks down and finds itachi.
-we can still have the akatsuki doing their thing, but essentially remove the whole Tobi/ Obito thing. They just want the tailed beasts.
-Itachi was instead invested in stopping and killing Orochimaru, which Sasuke very nearly accomplishes.
-remove Madara and the whole ninja war.
-if you really want the ninja war, have it be between nations that support Orochimaru (due to political corruption and meddling) vs those that do not.

Idk. Basically keep Orochimaru relevant, scrap all of the convoluted villain plotting that we actually got. I don't even want to talk about the final big bad...

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
There are plenty of this kind of character in fiction. I'm guessing they were fan favorite during the series run.

See Bakugo.

I can't believe i defend Bakugo here, but the worst thing he did is being super dick toward Deku and being reckless son of a bitch that almost cause other people got killed

Oct 25, 2017

See Bakugo.
... Bakugo isn't even remotely comparable to this.

Shigaraki or Overhaul or Stain is the one you want there.

Don't get me wrong Bakugo is insufferable, but he did kind of mellow, people began to understand him better and then they did get over his shittiness. He had his chance to turn and did not go the way we expected.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
I like how One Piece treated its mad scientist villain Caesar Clown after defeating and capturing him. They basically abuse him and treat him like expendable trash and force him to help when necessary.

tumblr_ot1afkxhSk1vqxzwlo1_1280.png

Even the deal to let him go wasn't them but Bege. He's also in a terrible position anywhere with being wanted by the World Government, his benefactor in prison and his alone in Yonko's territory.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I'm sure there was a flashback showing how he had a bad childhood that makes it all ok. Naruto as a series did that way to much.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like how One Piece treated its mad scientist villain Caesar Clown after defeating and capturing him. They basically abuse him and treat him like expendable trash and force him to help when necessary.

Even the deal to let him go wasn't them but Bege. He's also in a terrible position anywhere with being wanted by the World Government, his benefactor in prison and his alone in Yonko's territory.
I remember there being a question in one of the volumes along the lines of "Why is everyone so mean to Caesar?" and Oda's response was basically "He's a piece of garbage who drugged kids and experimented on them, he absolutely deserves to be shit on"

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For those that don't know the Sasuke, Orochimaru, and Kabuto thing was explained as them being left alive in case another Kaguya level threat showed up and their power was needed.

The Soul Society is a terrible place, so they aren't going to punish people for doing terrible things unless it hurts the people on top.
Remember that time in the final arc where Mayuri was basically committing genocide and when the higher ups found out he was chastised because he didn't file the proper paperwork first lol

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Mayuri from Bleach? Didn't he plant bombs in his underlings or something? I wish he got some kind of punishment too.
As far Soul society is concerned, Mayuri will never ever get punishment. You don't punish the guy who gave the Left Arm of God Super Cancer. The final arc pretty much validated Mayuri's importance to Soul Society when he consistently saved everyone's ass time and time again.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As far Soul society is concerned, Mayuri will never ever get punishment. You don't punish the guy who gave the Left Arm of God Super Cancer. The final arc pretty much validated Mayuri's importance to Soul Society when he consistently saved everyone's ass time and time again.
Honestly, as much as people love the Aizen twist, I think the series would've been much better if it had never happened and Soul Society had remained firmly as bad guys, with maybe a few defectors like Kenpachi and Renji

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Also you don't want that guy working against you.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Not a very strong argument considering that Orochimaru played a pivotal part in saving everyone's asses in the Ninja War as he was the one who helped
Sasuke uncover more about the Uchiha past and set him sorta kinda back on the right path.

And I haven't seen much sugar coating for Orochimaru as well.
The Boruto anime even played up the drama of Konohamaru being Mitsuki's teacher during one arc.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the same could be said for Aizen and yet they imprisoned him. And honestly, they only need his mind, and I'd be shocked if they didn't have some way to read thoughts on a captive prisoner considering the shit Soul Society was up to
I'm not sure they could kill Aizen which is why he was still around.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You realize Naruto himself is so violently overpowered that the sequel series is nonsensical.

Naruto can make lava balls because he had a telepathic dream where he fist bumped a giant ape.

One Piece does what Naruto won't.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
All y'all in here saying that Orochimaru was kept alive because the village might one day need his knowledge and abilities in the future, and like thats fine, I get that.

However, he should have been locked up in a cell permanently after the war. Instead, they basically have him under house arrest with like one guard. And he even gets to have field trips, it's ridiculous! Also, Naruto why the fuck did you invite the child murderer to your FUCKING WEDDING?!?

The way Orochimaru is handled is just so bad. I am a big fan of the series, but seriously, come on.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Naruto takes its themes of forgiveness to rather hilarious extremes.
If we ever reach old man Naruto in the expanding series he's gonna be like the ninja dalai lama

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its not funny and one of the major reasons I couldn't support Boruto and partly wish for its cancellation, because that's how fucking stupid it is.

Thanks for reminding me OP lol.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if we want to get real technical then the Leaf village letting Orochimaru continue his human/animal/demon rights-violating research with little interference in exchange for some help in a major conflict is something super-powers have done and continue to do in the real world, so you could argue it's scathing commentary about how much we're willing to abandon in the name of victory in war...

...but then again it's Kishimoto, so it's trash tier retconning of a character's stance on the series moral spectrum and I'd one of many examples in Naruto of how to effectively fuck over your entire plot for convenience.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
I mean he's the only reason they all didnt get destroyed in that war arc. They kinda owed him alot.