• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well? WE'RE WAITING?!?!?!!??!?!

• Yes. ($70) It's time.

• Yes. ($80) We need to make up for not raising prices last gen.

• (NO) What in the sam-hell is wrong with you, vex??????????? OH hell no!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
027.jpg

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting that many games nowadays make MORE money from MTX than from the base price of the game. A bunch of these companies could lower, or even eliminate, the up front cost of most games and still make huge profits

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It's not in anyone's interests to do this. This is what all the season passes, lootboxes and F2P tactics are about.
I feel like that is why the season pass or GaaS system was created. It was created specifically because they knew raising the standard asking price could have caused issues. So enter: the "cut content age" where people complained about content being cut from the game (remember SFxT??) and reintroduced for a price. And now look at where that got us.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize the people who run these companies will just keep treating their workers the same and they'll pocket the extra $10, right?
Surely you can't be that naive.

And it won't stop microtransactions ans lootboxes either. There's no reason to.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The OP also assumes that that crunch is desperately needed for these games to make money. However publishers are recording record profits year after year. And guess where all that extra money is going? Definitely not towards the development teams. At least not at the same proportion as these CEOs are making.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure. I would wait for sales more often I guess.

And then, if they don't ever go on sale, I would simply not buy most of the games I impulse-buy.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that is why the season pass or GaaS system was created. It was created specifically because they knew raising the standard asking price could have caused issues. So enter: the "cut content age" where people complained about content being cut from the game (remember SFxT??) and reintroduced for a price.
No, they were created because companies don't just want to make money, they don't just want to be profitable, they want to be as profitable as possible. As long as mtx make boatloads of money they will never go away no matter the base game price

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that is why the season pass or GaaS system was created. It was created specifically because they knew raising the standard asking price could have caused issues. So enter: the "cut content age" where people complained about content being cut from the game (remember SFxT??) and reintroduced for a price. And now look at where that got us.
except they did raise the price when dlc became a thing. games used to cost 50 dollars during the ps2 and were raised to 60 during the ps3

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
A lot of them cost 70€ in Europe already. That's one of the main reasons I don't buy digital, it's cheaper to go to a store and buy the damn game.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, fuck that.

Those employees wouldn't see any of that money anyway.

The CEOs etc. would just put some more millions into their pockets.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah even though we're now getting games all the time that pretty much just do what SFxT did, it was bumpy at first.

The explosion of F2P games changed the perception of the medium from being a buy once and you're done affair into something much more flexible and standard retail AAA releases have reaped some rewards from that as well.

Oct 27, 2017
The video game industry is making massive amounts of money while still somehow calling their products "disappointments" and treating their employees like complete garbage. Their profits aren't the issue here.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

So, if they already 'raised' the price of the game via MTX, Season Passes and GaaS economies, why they haven't raised the devs salary yet? or stopped exploiting them? Spoiler: Because they've no interest on doing any of that no matter how much money they make per game

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the justification for making them be more money.

But straight up, $60 is already so much money for one video game. It's just a lot of money. It's a good chunk of my paycheck, which mostly evaporates anyway. I can rarely, rarely justify buying a game new, and this would turn this into basically never. It's just too much money, I'm sorry. Like, no matter how you slice it, $60 is a lot of money to most people. It's even worse for people in other countries.

Plus there's the issue that companies are already rigorously trying to focus on profits over employees. Raising the prices of games would just go straight to CEO bank accounts. That's simplifying it a bit, but not practically wrong.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Should games cost more? Maybe, but I am not going to volunteer to pay extra for them. Especially when some of the biggest releases of the year can be had for 50% within weeks of release.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The only way, and I mean ONLY, I'd accept this is if I got everything with the game. No premium edition and no micro transactions... Since that won't happen then nope.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
No. We're already paying more than enough for games.

They're already just over $90 here after taxes. I'm not paying more. And if they do go up, I'll buy fewer games or wait longer.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
No, the base price of games should not increase. They're already effectively more than that given the amount of nickel and diming that goes on with DLC, loot boxes, etc, and it's not my responsibility to further line publishers pockets.

Increasing the prices would do nothing to alleviate crunch. Without developers having collective bargaining power, publishers are almost always going to choose more profit over better rights for workers.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Wouldn't care as I'd still continue my practice of only buying stuff day one if it's stuff I know I'll play day one or if it's an LE I want and thus am spending more on anyway.

Conversely, maybe split the single player and multiplayer parts of games up for me. Some games I have zero interest in multiplayer, so I'd be more likely to buy them earlier.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
As always, hell no. Companies are making far more than they ever have, games being $60 still isn't an issue, and it never has been. We have microtransactions, DLC, "Deluxe" and "Gold" editions that are frequently $80 and $100+ dollars, subscriptions, etc. I would say at this point in time $60 is asking a little to much considering how little everyone gets paid these days. (speaking just for the US, if it isn't clear)

No amount of raising the base price would help employees, and you would still see the microtransactions and every thing else regardless. The games industry is at peak capitalism. Record profits and shitting on employees is the name of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's time every game costs 50 million USD.
Think about it. You only need to sell about 2 copies to break more than even.
It's so simple

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So, if they already 'raised' the price of the game via MTX, Season Passes and GaaS economies, why they haven't raised the devs salary yet? or stopped exploiting them? Spoiler: Because they've no interest on doing any of that no matter how much money they make per game
That's a good point.

I think it's time every game costs 50 million USD.
Think about it. You only need to sell about 2 copies to break more than even.
It's so simple
This is hilarious lmao. only millionaires can play!

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017

If we accept $70 games, we will get $70 games + season pass + microtransactions.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about corporate greed is that there is no upper limit at which point they'll be satisfied and decide to give back. It's just an all consuming machine designed to keep trying to get more and more money more and more quickly forever

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
@OP not to pile one on what others already said, but if you think that any retail price increase would benefit the devs and QA people in any way, you are pretty naive.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
as someone who used to be in gamedev, the prices *need* to raise. It's pretty painfully obvious to anyone involved that $60 is an outdated price tag. Pristine, AAA experiences lacking in Microtransactions/etc should be fairly priced at an $80 premium IMO. I'm not in biz dev or finance though so what do I know, lol.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Why not lower back to $50? I find even $60 a steep price when there are so many great games out there for so much less. Gaming is getting so rich and diverse its getting tougher and tougher to invest lots of time/money into just 1 game. Also prices plummet. I just bought three $70 LABO kits for $20 each last month. I probably would have bought each one at $50 on day 1 but $70 was a joke.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
If we could go back to games being complete on release. Not the dlc mtx fuck fest we have now...

Sure. I was fine with the raise to $60, I would've been fine with $70. We're past that now. The way they monetize games now they make enough, I don't want to increase it even more and then still get MTX to death.

Drop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure devs are gonna feel better knowing the people working them to the bone have 10 more dollars in their pockets.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
IMO gaming is expensive enough as it is and I'd probably be less likely to keep gaming if prices go up. Plus I'd guess any more money made from increased prices would just end up going to the Bobby Koticks of the world anyways

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
They can if they want, I'm still gonna buy them on sale for $30 or less. Whatever gets microtransactions and expensive dlc out of gaming.

However, things won't change no matter the price.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
as someone who used to be in gamedev, the prices *need* to raise. It's pretty painfully obvious to anyone involved that $60 is an outdated price tag. Pristine, AAA experiences lacking in Microtransactions/etc should be fairly priced at an $80 premium IMO. I'm not in biz dev or finance though so what do I know, lol.
Game devs will not get a single extra penny if the prices were raised. Additionally keep in mind that the most profitable AAA game on the market right now costs literally nothing in terms of up front costs