• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
a man makes a mistake (going for a ignorant laugh with an ignorant joke/tweets) 10-11 years ago, learns from that mistake, shows he learns from his mistakes over the next 10-11 years, man's progress is ignored, man is ridiculed, man botches apology, everyone is in glass case of emotion.

I hate you all lol.

if only Kevin didn't have a movie coming out next week so all of this can go away.
When did this happen? Was it a couple of years ago when he said that he didn't put those negative stereotypes out into the world, just used them for laughs? Was it when he said he only stopped talking like that because times are "more sensitive"? Was it when he continually told Ellen he "addressed" this all before, but all people can find (other than the tweet he made after losing the job) are those excuses and no instance of the word "sorry" or "I apologize"? Where's the progress?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I keep seeing this "He's learned and changed" bullshit.

Receipts? All I see is a dude who thinks he's a victim.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
I keep seeing this "He's learned and changed" bullshit.

Receipts? All I see is a dude who thinks he's a victim.
I think the receipts argument is flawed, you don't hang around the dude and never have. How do you know if he's changed or how he even was in the first place?

I mean I hadn't even heard of all this before the Oscars. I wouldn't have pegged him as a homophobe based on my exposure and apperantly the same is true for millions of people.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
a man makes a mistake (going for a ignorant laugh with an ignorant joke/tweets) 10-11 years ago, learns from that mistake, shows he learns from his mistakes over the next 10-11 years, man's progress is ignored, man is ridiculed, man botches apology, everyone is in glass case of emotion.

I hate you all lol.

if only Kevin didn't have a movie coming out next week so all of this can go away.

And I really hate all of you who are literally ignoring the timeline of events. All you have to do is go to page one of this topic and see the tweet thread that compiles his "apologies" and shows how he has said things much more recently than 10-11 years ago that show he hasn't learned from his mistakes, only that he knows he can't get away with saying that crap anymore.

And that apology he made recently was all about blaming everybody who brought light to what he said in the past. That is not an apology.

Y'all are fools for falling for this man's apology when he hasn't been sincere about it at all.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Hart has never once made a true apology.

He either somehow makes himself the victim or pulls the "sorry if you were offended" bullshit.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the receipts argument is flawed, you don't hang around the dude and never have. How do you know if he's changed or how he even was in the first place?
Because he's in public calling himself a fucking victim for having to deal with his own words.

I don't need to know him to see how that's a terrible take, one that is the opposite of self reflective or introspective.

Calling for evidence to back a claim is flawed. Ok dude.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017

I hate you all lol.

I fucking can't anymore.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I hate you all lol.

What?

He hasn't shown change at all. The only thing he's done is say he won't tell the jokes because people are too sensitive now.

God you make it sound like he overcame a struggle and not you know said he'd physically abuse his son if he thought he might be gay.

But sure we're the ones worthy of your hate.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I mean I hadn't even heard of all this before the Oscars. I wouldn't have pegged him as a homophobe based on my exposure and apperantly the same is true for millions of people.

He said he'd physically abuse his son if he thought he was gay,

He's never once walked that back.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
Because he's in public calling himself a fucking victim for having to deal with his own words.

I don't need to know him to see how that's a terrible take, one that is the opposite of self reflective or introspective.

Calling evidence to back a claim is flawed. Ok dude.
You're calling for evidence that a behavior you never knew existed prior has been dealt with.

And the way this was resurfaced honestly did seem like a coordinated attack.

He said he'd physically abuse his son if he thought he was gay,

He's never once walked that back.
In public. People need to quit pretending they know people because you follow them on social media. You don't, never have and likely never will.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're calling for evidence that a behavior you never knew existed prior has been dealt with.

In public. People need to quit pretending they know people because you follow them on social media. You don't, never have and likely never will.
If you make bigoted remarks in public, and refuse to apologize for them in public, you're still a bigot. Stop defending homophobia and bigotry.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

This is the worst defense I've ever heard. He refuses to apologize in public but he might have in private so we can't criticize him!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
People are claiming he's changed. I asked for evidence that backs this claim. And this is somehow hard for you to understand?

Yet someone a few posts up pulled out receipts that actually shows that he's never apologized in public until very recently when his career was threatened (shortly after releasing a video saying he would not apologize).

It's simple. If you can claim he's changed, where's the evidence?

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
How is the fact that some people didn't know he was a bigot relevant?

Because its evidence that maybe he's not that same person that made homophobic jokes on twitter?
If you make bigoted remarks in public, and refuse to apologize for them in public, you're still a bigot. Stop defending homophobia and bigotry.
Sorry but you don't get to decide this. Nobody's defending his remarks, I've called them homophobic. Stop playing a victim.

Oct 27, 2017

Wut. It's not like he insulted a singular person. In that situation, a private apology is all that really matters. A public one really doesnt unless it's to his fans for disappointing them, but that's not as important as the apology to the victin.

But here he insulted millions of people. Did he make a private apology to every single one of them?

Your post is absolute nonsense and is just looking for dumb ways to make excuses for Kevin Hart

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
What? It;s not just about his son dude. It's about admitting his instinct is to beat gay behavior of people, that he thinks the response to even a hint of gayness is violence.
I'm just gonna leave this conversation at , while its up to you to accept it or not, you don't get to dictate somone's apology. People seem to anxious in here to twist words. Peace, Be easy.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna leave this conversation at , while its up to you to accept it or not, you don't get to dictate somone's apology. People seem to anxious in here to twist words. Peace, Be easy.

There's no peace when violence against gay folk is treated as funny.

Easy is complacency. Case in point your replies.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

User who accused people of playing victim in this topic proceeds to bail and play victim himself on his way out.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
User who accused people of playing victim in this topic proceeds to bail and play victim himself on his way out.
tenor.gif

Oct 30, 2017
Perhaps Kevin Hart doesn't like gays and he doesn't want to admit it as there would be a public outcry. And Kevin Harts circle also don't like gays. There are plenty of Muslims and Christians who also don't like gays but they won't say anything in public and just keep it to themselves. Plenty of people in this very forum probably don't like gays but won't voice this as they would get a ban.

I think it's the same principle here. Even if Kevin Hart apologizes in public only he and his circle truly know if it's genuine.

So what I ask is do people want a fake apology for the sake of it.

And if he's a homophobic and doesn't give a fuck what do people want from him. You can say he's wrong etc etc that's fine everyone has a right to voice their opinion. And he's probably cool with that and played it well enough where he doesn't have to admit being homophobic.

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the Oscars

Fuck Kevin Hart

Fuck Ellen for not properly shutting this fuckstain down on her show

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And if he's a homophobic and doesn't give a fuck what do people want from him. You can say he's wrong etc etc that's fine everyone has a right to voice their opinion. And he's probably cool with that and played it well enough where

I want for him the same thing i want for other homophobes and assorted bigots. I want him to get fucked. I want the Academy to not promote bigots. I want society at large to tell bigots to get fucked. I want bigots to be forced to either rethink their prejudices, keep it to themselves or get fucked if they spew their hateful ignorance in public. I want it to not be ok for bigots to keep spreading their bile. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tumblr_n4l2r2oDyS1r89qoso2_250.gif

I hate you all lol.

He didn't do shit to own up to anything. He didn't show any growth or anything resembling it. And guess what? I hate you too, asshole. Fuck outta here.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I hate you all lol.

He was making homophobic comments until 2012 and defended them in 2015. He refused to apologize last year, and instead told LGBT people to stop being offended. Not "10 years ago"

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Hey, lets cut out all the meta discussion.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Perhaps Kevin Hart doesn't like gays and he doesn't want to admit it as there would be a public outcry. And Kevin Harts circle also don't like gays. There are plenty of Muslims and Christians who also don't like gays but they won't say anything in public and just keep it to themselves. Plenty of people in this very forum probably don't like gays but won't voice this as they would get a ban.

I think it's the same principle here. Even if Kevin Hart apologizes in public only he and his circle truly know if it's genuine.

And if he's a homophobic and doesn't give a fuck what do people want from him. You can say he's wrong etc etc that's fine everyone has a right to voice their opinion. And he's probably cool with that and played it well enough where he doesn't have to admit being homophobic.
Even a fake apology, if well crafted, at least does a service by telling more people "it's not OK to be homophobic in public and here's why". He never once addressed how people in the LGBT community are affected by comments like that or why using that language is wrong and contributes to homophobia in society.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It would be incredibly easy to apologize and have it over with.

He's either too prideful to apologize to for his "joke" and is deciding to minimize discrimination against gay people (gay kids in particular) while he's at it, or he actually has bigoted views. Neither of which are a good look. Neither would be something the entertainment industry would want representing them at an awards ceremony. Instead of just quashing it and having a feel good learning moment, now he's the victim because people dared to ask him about things he's publicly said before. He was acting like a child 11 years ago, and he's still acting like a child today.
He's a multi-multi-millionaire with a huge public voice and will continue to be one and continue to star in blockbuster movies after this. He's not entitled to host the oscars. He's not entitled to never be questioned. People acting like this is a trial that will leave him penniless and/or in jail, and not just him missing out on a gig, need to step back and look at what this situation actually is.

I'm sure his Joe Rogan appearance will do big numbers, though.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018

Bingo....

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
And if he's a homophobic and doesn't give a fuck what do people want from him.
Nothing. It's not about what people want from Kevin Hart, it's about what people want from the Academy and Hollywood, which is that they stop promoting homophobes. Hart's allowed to be a bigot, and we're allowed to demand Hollywood not give bigots airtime and promotion. If they want to do that anyway, we'll organize, we'll boycott, and we'll show them that supporting homophobes will cost them money. No one owes Hart a career, and if his apology seems insincere to people, they'll stop going to see his movies. Time will tell if people believe him or not and care or not. But if his career is wrecked, it's because of Hart himself and his homophobia, not because people are being specially mean to him.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

I hate you all lol.

You actually believe this crap you wrote? Revisionist history for sure

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

If he's this homophobic in PUBLIC I imagine he's much worse in private. Foh

Oct 27, 2017
Ellen DeGeneres might be the most famous LGBTQ member on the planet though. I can be mistaken.

I'll be frank. It's tough.

This is the first time I said this on a forum.

I admittedly used to make gay jokes and what not until my brother (twin) came out to me when we were 17. I was a jockish dick. To this day I'm ashamed of it, and thankfully he doesn't judge me for the idiot I was. He told me my support and love is why he is able to be out.

I do think people can change. I get why the community is pissed, but I don't want to to permanently condemn him.

I think it's less that he made gay jokes in the past, although that's a major part of it, and more his resistance to just apologizing. If he's truly changed what's one more apology? Why does he think the fact he "apologized" in the past means he can't apologize again? He's acting like it's something people are constantly asking him about when at most it's been brought up a few times over the span of years.

When you're drunk/high on life (and substances) at the Game Awards

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
And if he's a homophobic and doesn't give a fuck what do people want from him.

A while ago, I read this article about him wanting to become a media mogul.

"The goal of being a mogul is a real one," Hart told Variety's co-editor in chief Andrew Wallenstein. "I want to be a billionaire…I'm 38. By the time I'm 45, you guys are going to be telling a completely different story."

"I want the f–king trophies, man," he said. "The trophy in entertainment is success, it's ownership, it's a brand."

So what I want is for someone who is so open about being a bigot NOT to become a hugely successful billion-dollar brand. Though I understand this is just idealistic me talking.