• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing game. I do wish there was more variety in bosses and biomes though, but that's just a personal nitpick. Would be cool if they do more expansions to the game but I figure Supergiant will want to move onto their next project instead. I'm always down for anything they make, they haven't failed me yet.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
If someone dislikes lots of dialogue, especially with voice acting, and doesn't enjoy arena combat and loot, what is there for them in Hades?

I am a big fan of Spelunky 2 and Into the Breach, but I immediately bounced off Isaac and Nuclear Throne. Combat is the least interesting part of roguelikes, and nothing about Hades has sounded appealing. It sounds excellently made for someone else.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It quicky became one of my favorites of the year after ignoring early access, if not the runaway favorite. Agree it accomplishes everything it sets out to at a high level, every element of the design is quality. Time slips away while playing and it gets under your skin when you're not. I like everything SG has made and this is their best work, taking lessons and strengths from all their previous titles.

But also understand being skeptical in response to runaway hype, the developer's house style won't click with everyone and threads like this will attract detractors. And some just won't ever see an indie game as GOTY material compared to AAA production value. Recommended watching Jim Sterling's review for any on the fence, he sums the game up well and his enthusiasm is infectious.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Sure.

Will get it when EGS make it free for a week or there is a very good sale on switch lol.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I want to try this, but I know I'll hate it lol. The music is great, and the voice actors are good, but I don't like the writing from what I've watched, and I hate roguelites with a passion.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If someone dislikes lots of dialogue, especially with voice acting, and doesn't enjoy arena combat and loot, what is there for them in Hades?

I am a big fan of Spelunky 2 and Into the Breach, but I immediately bounced off Isaac and Nuclear Throne. Combat is the least interesting part of roguelikes, and nothing about Hades has sounded appealing. It sounds excellently made for someone else.
Hades is really more of an RPG with a roguelike structure than any of those, and the structure is harmonious with the narrative they're telling. The dialogue and characterization is a draw for me but it's punchy and succinct, the game isn't precious about making sure you see it all, just that it doesn't repeat. Not really a loot game either, the diversity in build variety during each run and the strategies formed after learning what's possible and getting better is a bigger draw. Wave based action RPG combat is pretty central to the experience though, and while I think it's expertly tuned with weapons that are all viable and fun, if that doesn't click it won't be for you.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hate rogue like games. Is this different in which manner?

I'm in the same boat. It does some things different than the traditional formula (more pronounced story/cast with a bit more progression even in death), and there are certainly things I like a lot about it, but this is also the only SG game that I've bounced off of pretty hard all things considered. I may try and go back to it, but I don't think it does enough personally to keep you into it if you're not a fan of the genre or at the very least open to it.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I have been playing the game non stop but since I see this game praised a lot (rightfully so), I think that some of the negatives get shrugged away and aren't even mentioned most of the time, so here I come to the rescue with some negative things. Keep in mind that i love the game and have played it for 60h already.

- Kind of repetitive for a roguelike.

Every run is unique ofc but you're always gonna see the same zones in the same order with the same bosses. You also have a lof of control over your build which makes it even more repetitive if you want to.. or if you want to be efficient its gonna become repetitive because you will be going for certain builds, there isn't the same level of randomness and having to adapt like in other roguelike(lites)

- Enemy variety is equally low.

Seriously, its really low.

- It's a grind

Normally this isn't necessarily a bad thing but in Hades it's what makes me not want to play it sometimes. Progression is based on increasing the difficulty by activating some modifiers (skulls). But you can only do it one at the time, you can do more but it gives the same reward so there is no point in doing it because you'll have to do it again. And you have to do this with every weapon. And while the game was challenging at first, now I need to spend hours doing runs that present no challenge whatsoever till hopefully it becomes challenging again. And I started in hell mode which starts with 5 skulls active. With 6 weapons that would have been 35 more zero challenge runs that I would have had to do just to be in the non challenging place that I am right now. And I'm not even trying to be super efficient, I take keepsakes just to level them up, I did all the prophecies that I got so far etc.

- Placebo Rewards after a certain point

I'm talking about like bonding with gods etc which does nothing except having their portrait next to their keepsake.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019

It depends, do you dislike lots of dialogue in other media, or is it just video game dialogue? Because a lot of it is out there is just not that gripping not gonna lie. I can't say I often actually sit there engaged for every piece of voiced dialogue in a game past the 20 hour mark, with very few exceptions. Off the top of my head I can only think of precious few games like Kid Icarus, Persona 5, and now Hades.

It's carried reallyyyyy far by the voice direction alone. It's top-shelf. I can't think of a single lackluster performance. Thanatos, maybe, but even then is stolid delivery gets subverted in interesting ways at times.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Can you stand in one place and just parry enemy attacks forever?
There is no parry. One of the weapons is a shield, which has a (stationary, directional) block, but when you stop blocking you have to charge forward so it's kinda awkward.

But 99% of the time, your defense is the dash, which is very generous with iframes. Oh, and you can destroy most projectiles with most attacks.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I went from "well it's alright I guess, still not feeling the hype"
to
"believe the hype"

Note that I'm not a roguelite/like player usually, only Spelunky ever got my stamp of approval

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up trying it and refunding it after asking about it in the OT

I just don't think their games are my thing

I don't like isometric and I didn't find the combat or the characters particularly exciting and I'm turned off by the speech in these games like how the character always talks to himself

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I normally really can't stand roguelikes. I could never get into Dead Cells or Enter the Gungeon, the only one that really gripped me before this was Binding of Isaac.

I really usually dislike the genre but this game works fantastically as a roguelike.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It's a great game. Really fun.
But it's also pretty hard, or I just suck at it. I'm already like ~25 escape attempts in, and I've never beaten
Hades
Only reached his second stage twice or thrice. I am starting to get discharged :(

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game. Really fun.
But it's also pretty hard, or I just suck at it. I'm already like ~25 escape attempts in, and I've never beaten
Hades
Only reached his second stage twice or thrice. I am starting to get discharged :(
There's no shame in turning on god mode.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Just waiting for other console ports and I'll be in day one. I dont buy 3rd party games on Switch anymore and my laptop couldn't handle this.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the year for me, no questions asked. One of the most pitch perfect games I've played in a long, long time.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Folks said the same thing about Pyre and that one just sits in my backlog/storage 'cause I wasn't a fan.

Oct 29, 2017
I noticed this has an upcoming cross save update. I bought the Switch version but also want to pick up the Steam version. If I have two different save files, would they merge or something? I'm assuming I should hold off on getting the Steam version until the crossplay update comes out so I can port my Switch save over before there's conflicting save files.

And yeah, this game is REALLY fucking good.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I picked it up on a whim only knowing that it was really good, and man, people were right. It's a tough game, but I love the combat and the overall presentation of it.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I haven't got experience with this genre, so I've been wary of downloading it. I'm really curious because of the setting and characters, and will probably end up downloading it eventually. All the hype here reminds me of the talk around Hollow Knight though, which I didn't like. Completely different game but given that Metroidvania is a genre I do like, I'm wary of "GOTG" and "flawless" hype.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a Switch and the PC I use at home only has Intel integrated graphics (i5-4570). I'll check it out if it comes to PS4.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Hades is for sure a good game but as with all rogue-lites I tend to lose interest in them around 5-10 hours. Those first hours are amazing before my enthusiasm comes crashing into a wall once I've fought the same enemies and bosses over and over and gone through the same procedurally generated areas so many times. The worst part is fighting tooth and nail against a boss and barely winning and then getting one shot by a rat in the next level because my build wasn't optimal.

The very thought of having to painstakingly grind through all of the copy pasted levels and enemies and other random bs to get back to where I was made me quit playing. I wanted to love Hades so much but unfortunately this genre is just not for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
It's great! Right next to TLOU2 for my GOTY.

I tend to like this style of game (Dead Cells was my GOTY when that came out) and this has been my favorite take on the formula so far. I'm also glad it came to Switch first; I much prefer playing games on portables.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Add me to the camp of people who usually hate roguelikes(/lites), but think this game is really good. There's enough permanent progress and enough new story/dialogue after every run that I don't mind dying. I'm at (over) 40 hours now, and recently saw the end credits. There's seemingly still a lot to see/unlock, but I am wondering how much longer it'll hold my interest.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Okay. It will be my next game purchase. I have finished my entire backlog except for Ori and the Will of the Wisps which I started today. Hades next week.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you dont care for rougelites like at ALL...its really fuckin' good. Extraordinarily polished, one of a kind combination of sound, art design, and writing for the world building, excellent addictive combat loop, frequently funny and honest to God moving as anything I played all year.

like the entire ending when you finally reach the surface to find you-know-who and the turns it takes was wonderfully written, perfectly performed, and absolutely made thematic sense with its journey of endless trials and tribulations.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that considers Spelunky to be the best game I've ever played, I've definitely been playing Hades more than Spelunky 2 the past couple weeks. And that's saying a lot because I really like Spelunky 2

Oct 25, 2017
I've hated every single roguelike/lite I've ever played.

Until Hades.

It's damn near flawless and I'm so very glad I didn't learn from my mistakes of repeatedly purchasing critically acclaimed indies in this genre I hate oh so much. If it weren't for Animal Crossing getting the number one spot by default, Hades would easily be my GotY!

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
It is indeed a marvelous game. I wouldn't say flawless, but the degree of control it gives you over its "roguelikeness" makes it top tier, along with Dead Cells. Difficulty wise I'm still getting accustomed to it, and looks a bit less obscure than DC, but so far DC might be sliiightly better for me.