• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you want Zelda to have such weapons as options? Or ONLY other types of weaponry/tools?

• Swords as options

Votes: 355 50.8%
  • No sword options

Votes: 344 49.2%

• Total voters

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Playing BotW on Cemu with the Zelda mod is just too awesome. That simple change alone felt really special even though nothing was changed gameplay wise, just the model and outfits. Having that officially supported within the story, with then some changes and tweaks here and there to the gameplay to capitalize on/differentiate Zelda's abilities would be perfect. I loved that mod more than the actual playable Zelda in AoC, which was pretty cool still.

tOSG0tq.gif
38ef77d04d87b935155a5ecaffdcfae194555e74.gifv

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Why shouldn't she use a sword? She was wielding one and was apparently ready to use it in Twilight Princess -

rIkqfS4.png

08zP6UF.png

Edit - plus, there's official art showing her using knives in the guise of Sheik in Ocarina of Time -

DD-Sheik-and-Link-vs-Ganondorfs-Army-art-641x850.jpg

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd want to the game designers to design the best game they can. Whether that means a sword or bow as the featured weapon doesn't matter.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Why shouldn't she use a sword? She was wielding one and was apparently ready to use it in Twilight Princess -

rIkqfS4.png

08zP6UF.png

Edit - plus, there's official art showing her using knives in the guise of Sheik in Ocarina of Time -

DD-Sheik-and-Link-vs-Ganondorfs-Army-art-641x850.jpg
I think what the OP is trying to get at is this: if Zelda is a playable character, but plays in the same way Link does, is that good enough? Should she have her own identity as a character and not just be a reskinned Link? Is it ok if she'd just be a reskinned Link or would that be a missed opportunity?

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I think what the OP is trying to get at is this: if Zelda is a playable character, but plays in the same way Link does, is that good enough? Should she have her own identity as a character and not just be a reskinned Link? Is it ok if she'd just be a reskinned Link or would that be a missed opportunity?
...what? no

Before making this thread, I've seen people outright say Zelda shouldn't use melee weapons at all, and I wanted to see how common that sentiment was.

I do not believe Zelda having access to melee weapons makes her "play the same way Link does," nor am I arguing her using swords necessarily means her sword moveset will be the same as Link's.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
...what? no

Before making this thread, I've seen people outright say Zelda shouldn't use melee weapons at all, and I wanted to see how common that sentiment was.

I do not believe Zelda having access to melee weapons makes her "play the same way Link does," nor am I arguing her using swords necessarily means her sword moveset will be the same as Link's.
Oh, ok. Apologies.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Give her all the options. Just because it's the same weapon doesn't mean the move-set and gameplay has to be exactly the same as Link.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
No, make her more distinct from Link. Give me more political intrigue and nation running. Let her play as a VN or City Builder trying to manage her city and grow their defenses, or get the zoras and gorons to join her cause.
I'm not against something like this being made, but it sounds more like a Hyrule Warriors sort of situation than a mainline Zelda adventure game. If they did something like this - that was a major gameplay departure - and it wasn't clearly marked as a totally new direction, or something separate from the mainline series, I think you'd have upset the likes of which we saw with Federation Force, or the DS Zelda games - which while great in and of themselves, I think it would be fair to say they are considered somewhat spin-offy, and not something you commonly hear a clamour for..

Personally would hate this. Link and Zelda are the two major figures of the franchise so leverage them both. Creating some new female character to take on the role of the female player character option would just feel really bizarre to me and rife with problematic elements, especially if that's because Zelda as a Princess is somehow a disqualifier. I'm fine with difference origins SS Zelda isn't exactly a princess, initially Tetra is just a girl, there's plenty of ways to play with her status within the world depending on the story, but I also have no issue with and would love to see a story where Princess Zelda, leader of her country, left to no other option takes up the sword to protect her people and rid the land of evil.

I mean, aside from working within a very primitive framework of what each character is, and what they tend to look like - each Link and Zelda is a different character already.

I do like it when they introduce new heroes and villains, characters like Impa, Linebeck, and many more are all really memorable - I would trust Nintendo to invent new protagonist(s) for the series - but I do understand why people would be excited by playing as another well-known character for once.

I do personally think Princess Zelda would need adjusting in some respects to accommodate making her a good vehicle for the story. I get why people might recoil at the suggestion, as though I'm talking about diminishing Zelda's status or role in some way - but what I personally feel about the Zelda games generally - is that they are a true Heroes journey adventure. And I would prefer them to remain that way.

I would personally be deeply disinterested in a story where an almost holy, ordained by heritage, magic-wielding Princess, heir and ruler of her kingdom - needs to protect it for some reason. It would need significant story work to make that interesting and fun. That isn't the everyman/everywoman character that I think people broadly enjoy associating with, and enjoy playing, and enjoy making powerful and heroic throughout the journey. Zelda games should be a journey. When those credits roll, you should almost be in awe of how far you've come and what you've achieved. "I am a Princess once more and all is right with the world" wouldn't be a very interesting journey or a satisfying ending for me. That's not to say it couldn't be for you - but for me, they would need to nerf her privilege and power in the face of the 'threat' considerably to make it interesting I think. Which isn't all that different from what you're saying about different origins I guess.

I think making her playable in BOTW2 could potentially work really well. The Kingdom is in recovery after BOTW, after all the doubt and sacrifice - she discovered her power and sealed away calamity Ganon at the end of the last game - if there's some kind of new threat, it makes sense that she would use that newly discovered power and partner-up with Link to face-up to anything else. I just think if they were starting a whole new story, I'd much rather see her become a Princess or figure of importance, than simply start out as one.

Oct 25, 2017
Magic with an extensive set of bow abilities that outclass Link's.
Then either rapier for close range, or go full ninja Sheik mode.
Either way, it'd be more dodge and counter based than blocking like Link.
Sheik would probably be better for a character action game than a traditional Zelda though.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I kinda wished BOTW Zelda was incarnation of Hyrule Warriors or Twilight Princess Zelda because they would fight with a cool ass sword. However, I don't see that with BOTW Zelda with the way they characterized her unfortunately. She seems to gravitate towards technology rather than melee weapons. Nintendo could recon it and make her use a rapier which would be cool, but I don't see them going that far.

My wish is to get a Zelda that can use a sword and has AOE magic attacks like Hyrule Warriors Zelda.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not against something like this being made, but it sounds more like a Hyrule Warriors sort of situation than a mainline Zelda adventure game. If they did something like this - that was a major gameplay departure - and it wasn't clearly marked as a totally new direction, or something separate from the mainline series, I think you'd have upset the likes of which we saw with Federation Force, or the DS Zelda games - which while great in and of themselves, I think it would be fair to say they are considered somewhat spin-offy, and not something you commonly hear a clamour for..

Nah, make Zelda's interactions a sub-mechanic of the more Traditional gameplay. I'm not sure why you anyone would want Zelda's playable debut to feel extremely close to Link's, just with a different character model. I'd much rather any game segments where she's playable be unique and fit into the differences Zelda being a character focal point exposes from Link's roles.

I'm not sure exactly how it would fit in from a gameplay perspective to swap those 2 sections well, but I think it could work.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
As many others have stated, I feel like she should definitely use Magic/Arrows instead of a blade, but if she were to carry one, a rapier seems like an elegant fit for her.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean, aside from working within a very primitive framework of what each character is, and what they tend to look like - each Link and Zelda is a different character already.

I do like it when they introduce new heroes and villains, characters like Impa, Linebeck, and many more are all really memorable - I would trust Nintendo to invent new protagonist(s) for the series - but I do understand why people would be excited by playing as another well-known character for once.

I do personally think Princess Zelda would need adjusting in some respects to accommodate making her a good vehicle for the story. I get why people might recoil at the suggestion, as though I'm talking about diminishing Zelda's status or role in some way - but what I personally feel about the Zelda games generally - is that they are a true Heroes journey adventure. And I would prefer them to remain that way.

I would personally be deeply disinterested in a story where an almost holy, ordained by heritage, magic-wielding Princess, heir and ruler of her kingdom - needs to protect it for some reason. It would need significant story work to make that interesting and fun. That isn't the everyman/everywoman character that I think people broadly enjoy associating with, and enjoy playing, and enjoy making powerful and heroic throughout the journey. Zelda games should be a journey. When those credits roll, you should almost be in awe of how far you've come and what you've achieved. "I am a Princess once more and all is right with the world" wouldn't be a very interesting journey or a satisfying ending for me. That's not to say it couldn't be for you - but for me, they would need to nerf her privilege and power in the face of the 'threat' considerably to make it interesting I think. Which isn't all that different from what you're saying about different origins I guess.

I think making her playable in BOTW2 could potentially work really well. The Kingdom is in recovery after BOTW, after all the doubt and sacrifice - she discovered her power and sealed away calamity Ganon away at the end of the last game - if there's some kind of new threat, it makes sense that she would use that newly discovered power and partner-up with Link to face-up to anything else. I just think if they were starting a whole new story, I'd much rather see her become a Princess or figure of importance, than simply start out as one.
I kind of get what you're saying, but I don't see how Zelda or her position really disrupts that Hero's Journey element. For me one of the biggest parts of Zelda's appeal is that historically within the series she has been relegated to this damsel in distress more oft than not. She may be the ruler of the kingdom but she's almost always sidelined and left helpless, unable to save or protect her kingdom from evil without the aid of a hero. While socially, which I don't think really matters much in this kind of folktale setting, her position as Princess is a privileged one, outside of that she really isn't. Her title of Princess is as much or more a cage boxing her into a specific role than some position of advantage that would somehow trivialize her taking on some evil threat. Her role as princess as well is a formal manifestation of her femininity which is also used to box her in. Girls are not seen as martial heroes and few things are as girly and feminine as a princess. The journey wouldn't simply end with you just being a Princess again and that's all, you'd be a champion and hero earned by your own hand.

And her apparent divinity as this kind of reincarnation of Hylia is no different from Link's now apparent reincarnation of the Hero. Thanks to SS's nonsense ending they're both cosmically ordained to be reborn till the end of time. Link is as much an everyman in that sense as Zelda is. Growing up a ranch hand, commoner or royalty doesn't change that. They still have to come into their divined roles through trial and perseverance.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017

Ah, fair enough. The split vote in favour of not letting her use a sword threw me. I don't think they'd have a problem with being able to diversify her weapons/utilities, really.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
I feel plot restrictions like this are worth very little because all of these rules are at the whim of the one who writes them. We're literally talking about breaking out of a Zelda mold and I just don't think these plot restrictions are big barriers or really a barrier at all.
She lost her powers but a hot meal will help restore it faster and boom, a new rule that encourages cooking and allows her to grow her powers.
Seeing Link suffer a fatal wound again triggers another awakening of magic. This time she realises it won't last as long, she has only 3 days to save the world. Knowing the futility of her progress with only 3 days she comes up with a way to gain an advantage, she obtains/creates the Song of Time. Boom, off we go again. Now she has infinite 3 days to learn all the things.
Some new shrines appeared, triggered by Calamity Ganon's defeat. One of them could literally be a hyperbolic time chamber for training with the condition of opening and entry only to a power drained princess with an intent to kick serious ass.
If I can throw dumb ideas at a wall so easily surely the developers can work something out that is better than my low effort fan fic stuff. The question is if they want to do that or they do their vision of Zelda push her in different direction? I think we all know answer here sadly.

You're talking about breaking the mold yet your ideas would literally be "more shrines, make a game like majora's mark and ocarina of time".. and the cooking.. anywayz.
My point is, they had the best character development for a Zelda imo, probably like the deepest one i would say, and just being like "okay now she made a 180 in between games and wields a sword and kills !" Like i'm sure she evolved since the end of Botw, i just don't see her being a super mage cuz she lost most of her powers nor do i see her having a sword. Botw was already a big break of the Zelda mold, i feel like i would rather have them fix the issues of the first game and perfect the formula instead of trying to break even more since this is a sequel. If it was a brand new game, sure why not.

Also, the trailer seems to hint something happens to link's arm. If it is the main gameplay element that will characterize this entry, you can't have that with another playable character. Or else that just throws any depth the gameplay could have. That's why i think Link and Zelda teaming up and her being the partner with the slate or something, would be far more interesting. Atleast it would give the plot something fresh and we would have Zelda and Link the whole game togheter instead of one or the other.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
I don't understand the "swords don't fit Zelda" argument when she's been depicted using swords in several Zelda titles with virtually no fan pushback

I also don't understand how if Zelda uses a sword her gameplay will transform into a "Link clone"

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I don't understand the "swords don't fit Zelda" argument when she's been depicted using swords in several Zelda titles with virtually no fan pushback

I also don't understand how if Zelda uses a sword her gameplay will transform into a "Link clone"
I'm with you on this and ngl some of it makes me a little uncomfortable. I like reading all these opinions but sometimes it feels like we're putting her in a box of constraints. Just boundaries and restrictions. A big old box of stereotype that should have been left to last decade. Don't get me wrong, preferring her to not use swords is fine in isolation. A strong focusing on bows is also similarly fine I think. Concerns that she plays too much like Link is certainly an interesting one too. I think each of us envisions Zelda differently, we value the Zelda games a little differently and appreciate all the smaller things to different degrees. That said, a lot of these things I'm not sure are actually a problem but I'm not sure why it would be seen as a bad thing to include other than not fitting your personal interpretation of what Zelda is.

The way I see it, if she is playable in a respectable way (not like a 2 minute segment to untie Link before switching back to him for example) then I think they should just have a blast with her. Give all all the cool things, let her do all the things and work the gameplay and balance the abilities to make the most out of everything she can bring to the table. When it comes to swords, for me it is pretty much yes, absolutely use swords to some degree. Even if it is just momentary with the Master Sword. The Master Sword is one of the reoccurring symbols of the series, if she takes the lead adventurer role she should absolutely get this toy to swing around and it should be awesome.

I think a lot of people sort of have this pre-defined image of what Zelda is like, what Link is like, what has to be like even when their roles are different. I sort of feel this is a mental trap. For one, taking a look at Link's role and character. Nothing about him stands out in any particular way. The joy isn't specifically to do with him and his abilities but rather the interactions with the world, environment, NPCs and what have you. Link doesn't do that much that another strong willed character cannot. He doesn't even truly speak. If anything he seems to lack actual responsibility in the world and has the time to go do all the things. People who picture Zelda in Link's role is not putting their imagination to good use I think. They are picturing how she doesn't differentiate from Link in gameplay (most people love the gameplay formula any way) and consider it boring when they could be picturing the novelty and hilarity of the NPC's face when they realised Princess fucking Zelda herself just rounded up all 40 cuckos across the town because his dumb ass forgot to close the fence. That's right, a Princess of many talents, expressions and interactions that has nothing to do with Link. Familiar, yet different. It can be fun to explore these things in theory, I have no idea how it would be boring. Maybe they mean safe and unambitious in terms of gameplay changes which ultimately is a different topic altogether.

I would say, that a Zelda game, where she is the lead would play completely different. Zelda is the embodiment of "Wisdom", she doesn't go around and beat people with swords (if she isn't forced or it is a spin-off). She is a leader, tactician, diplomat and cleric. That why i am also against having Link and Zelda simply swap rolls in a normal Zelda game. Linkle or another form of a female Link is fine by me (Link doesn't need to be male).

This sounds more like a spinoff. It might be interesting too with some Zelda flavour and a mix of features from other genres. I'd play the shit out of a Zelda skinned Advance Wars. For a mainline Zelda game though, I would imagine her adventure will be about growing her knowledge. She doesn't need to be the embodiment of wisdom and sitting around with strategy and such. The core gameplay of Zelda is adventuring, so I see Zelda bringing her wisdom to each of the different domains of Hyrule. She can help them solve problems as Link does and while Link uses courage and tools/powers to overcome his adversaries she too can utilize her strengths and abilities to exploit weaknesses and openings. The main characters are more than just whatever their piece of triforce holds. A leader, tactician, diplomat and cleric can all still be part of her character. Just as Link can be great jockey, runner, shieldsurfer, explosive specialist, sailor, marksman, pot smasher, lawn mower, cucco chaser etc.

You're talking about breaking the mold yet your ideas would literally be "more shrines, make a game like majora's mark and ocarina of time".. and the cooking.. anywayz.
My point is, they had the best character development for a Zelda imo, probably like the deepest one i would say, and just being like "okay now she made a 180 in between games and wields a sword and kills !" Like i'm sure she evolved since the end of Botw, i just don't see her being a super mage cuz she lost most of her powers nor do i see her having a sword. Botw was already a big break of the Zelda mold, i feel like i would rather have them fix the issues of the first game and perfect the formula instead of trying to break even more since this is a sequel. If it was a brand new game, sure why not.

Also, the trailer seems to hint something happens to link's arm. If it is the main gameplay element that will characterize this entry, you can't have that with another playable character. Or else that just throws any depth the gameplay could have. That's why i think Link and Zelda teaming up and her being the partner with the slate or something, would be far more interesting. Atleast it would give the plot something fresh and we would have Zelda and Link the whole game togheter instead of one or the other.

Breaking the mold of Zelda's roles in the game, for her to take position of the main protagonist and be the one who sets forth on the adventure, not the mold of a game which is sort of grounded in the thread already by being a "mainline" entry.

None of what you said makes any difference to whether or not Zelda can wield sword and magic. How these things manifest and work in game will still be the game designer's job. Having some magic doesn't mean the game is going to turn into a magic fps or character action game, Link has magic in several games and they are all implemented to suit the needs of the game. As an example Link has unlimited bombs that are tied to cool down in BoTW. These are game mechanic problems. Certainly you might argue that the Zelda series has kept magic to be a more special and limited use, I agree but even that can be handled mechanically and within context. Zelda having strong magic doesn't mean she breaks the game if the game is designed around it accordingly. My dumb nonsense examples are purely to illustrate how unimportant that is because it is ultimately scaled down to how the game plays. If they want her using magic or sword it will be in, if it is not in the design then it won't be.

You're also going to have to give me a little more than "nor do I see her having a sword" because I'm just scratching my head here. Especially when we go into stuff like Zelda being able to use blade, gun, magic, staff and many other things in various games, all without any context of how or why.

If the thread is about BoTW2/sequel and the discussion is more along the lines of "I don't think we're getting a Zelda lead and I don't think she Zelda will be using a sword" I'm probably in agreement with you. I don't think Nintendo will do it. No surprises there from me. But that is more about the reluctance on Nintendo's part and not about whether it can be done or not.

if you vote for Fist only we can change the outlook of the world. make true changes and progress
Her charged spin attack should finish and launch the enemy with a Lightning Kick (actually a move in Smash Bros for those who don't play).

Edit. In Hyrule Warriors (first one) Zelda has a BOTW costume. Even though the artstyle is different and they are technically a different Zelda, the sword does not look out of place at all to me.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
While the Goddess Hylia did create the Master Sword, it was the Hero's chosen weapon. There are parts where we see Zelda holding the Master Sword but she never wielded it. While Zelda can wield a sword in Hyrule Warriors, I think in the fairness of series continuity, she can wield any sword except the Master Sword, as Link is supposed to be the representation of the Triforce of Courage as the chosen Hero who wields the Blade of Evil's Bane.

A playable Zelda should live up her reputation as the wielder of the Triforce of Wisdom and wielding the Bow of Light and her awakened Sealing power, which I guess would be waves of pure energy. There is nothing wrong with Zelda wielding a Sword as a weapon, but her Sealing power has the same effect as the Master Sword itself, so we should play to Zelda's strengths in controlling of that specific power as her birthright, as opposed to the single specific weapon that allows Link to fight against evil and face against Ganon to begin with.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Her charged spin attack should finish and launch the enemy with a Lightning Kick (actually a move in Smash Bros for those who don't play).

Edit. In Hyrule Warriors (first one) Zelda has a BOTW costume. Even though the artstyle is different and they are technically a different Zelda, the sword does not look out of place at all to me.
it's out of place because it's not a fist. I support using magic to turn fist into a sword but that's the limit of my compromise

Vote Fist 2056 with new running mate metamorphosis magic coming to a eyeball near you

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
While the Goddess Hylia did create the Master Sword, it was the Hero's chosen weapon. There are parts where we see Zelda holding the Master Sword but she never wielded it. While Zelda can wield a sword in Hyrule Warriors, I think in the fairness of series continuity, she can wield any sword except the Master Sword, as Link is supposed to be the representation of the Triforce of Courage as the chosen Hero who wields the Blade of Evil's Bane.

A playable Zelda should live up her reputation as the wielder of the Triforce of Wisdom and wielding the Bow of Light and her awakened Sealing power, which I guess would be waves of pure energy. There is nothing wrong with Zelda wielding a Sword as a weapon, but her Sealing power has the same effect as the Master Sword itself, so we should play to Zelda's strengths in controlling of that specific power as her birthright, as opposed to the single specific weapon that allows Link to fight against evil and face against Ganon to begin with.

Ahhh more plot constraints. I figured the Master Sword would probably meet some push back. The sword was created by the Goddess as the Skyward Sword and later forged into the final Master Sword through Link, Zelda and Fi's efforts. This isn't "Link's sword" at all this is a sword that chooses its wielder and one of the reasons fans got a little wild with BoTW is that Zelda questions whether Link hears the voice from the sword and then later in the cutscene of her awakening the sword speaks to her directly, instructing her to take Link to the healing shrine. The Master Sword is the most iconic but also not the only sword within the series that can repel evil, the one that splits Link into four also has that ability and was the main weapon of that game. All it really takes is for Nintendo to write it into the game and have the sword say "I choose you". The chosen hero is not really said to always be the bearer of the Triforce of Courage and being the bearer doesn't really mean shit when Ganon even steals another's portion. So if she wants to borrow the Triforce piece or whatever and needs to do so there is little reason why it cannot happen. Also, you speak of fairness but perhaps forget that Link has been firing light arrows for years.

If Zelda was to be a lead of the game and the hero of the game. She should absolutely get the sword at some point even if she can beat the game without it. The sword is symbolic and to deny fans this just feels backhanded and petty, possibly sexist. If she is the hero of the game, the sword should recognise it and she should get to wield it, to be fair to the series as you say.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yes Link has used the Light Arrows but they are symbolically Zelda's power she grants Link to use. You know I'm not going to fucking justify an argument if you try to twist my argument as sexist, I feel that's entirely unfair.

I think it's just fair that each character should be entirely unique in their own way, and play to the strengths they have. I mean even Linkle who is essentially a female Link has her own entirely unique style with her dual crossbows that differentiate herself from Link as well, instead of just being gender swap clone.

EDIT: I'm going to apologize for my overreaction on a statement I made and have edited it out. I just don't care for the implication that I'm being sexist because I want characters to play on the strengths they were given for the sake of individuality, instead of the convenience for gameplay.

I mean if we are to control Zelda in one of these games, I want to be like I'm actually playing as Zelda in the spirit of her character, not as some damsel in distress, but in the cases in which the series has shown respect to the power she wields, especially if she takes on the mantle of a more active role instead of passive one.

Last edited:

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
It seems to go against the design philosophy of a Breath of the Wild style game to put arbitrary restrictions on what kind of stuff you can pick up from the ground and use as a weapon, be it a tree branch or a soup ladle.

Maybe it's just me, but reading through this thread it seems like many of you are imagining some kind of DmC style brawler rather than a Zelda game.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I'm perfectly fine with her using a rapier. I just don't want her to be a mirror image of Link. Let her have her own moveset and personality. Even Linkle had some differences.

Oct 12, 2020
This sounds more like a spinoff. It might be interesting too with some Zelda flavour and a mix of features from other genres. I'd play the shit out of a Zelda skinned Advance Wars. For a mainline Zelda game though, I would imagine her adventure will be about growing her knowledge. She doesn't need to be the embodiment of wisdom and sitting around with strategy and such. The core gameplay of Zelda is adventuring, so I see Zelda bringing her wisdom to each of the different domains of Hyrule. She can help them solve problems as Link does and while Link uses courage and tools/powers to overcome his adversaries she too can utilize her strengths and abilities to exploit weaknesses and openings. The main characters are more than just whatever their piece of triforce holds. A leader, tactician, diplomat and cleric can all still be part of her character. Just as Link can be great jockey, runner, shieldsurfer, explosive specialist, sailor, marksman, pot smasher, lawn mower, cucco chaser etc.
If she isn't the embodiment of wisdom, then she isn't Zelda anymore. Wisdom means not shieldsurfing down a hill, because that is unwise.But it is freaking courageous! Zelda would move differently through a world. She have "Champions" with her, who would protected her, while she can focus on getting knowledge. That would be an adventure for her in her mind. All of this, doesn't make her an ideal character for a traditional Zelda game. And if you change her character to be more like Link .... then she is just Link with a different name.

What even is the reason for Zelda to star in a Zelda game? I always thought, that it was just the closest way to get a female protagonist. As a character she just doesn't fit role, since her character was designed to be the driving force of the plot and Link just the execution of her plans. She is designed to be an NPC and making her a player character would just make Link pointless. Having some empty space in a character, make them more interesting, then trying to maker them fit into a role, they were never designed to fulfill. Like having the movie about Han Solo. You can do it, but you don't really add anything special to it and may in return take away some mystic from them, which make them interesting in the first place. So we would lose more, then we gain.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I have seen about 30 minutes of Genshin Impact, so just make her like that red bunny girl you get early

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If she isn't the embodiment of wisdom, then she isn't Zelda anymore. Wisdom means not shieldsurfing down a hill, because that is unwise.But it is freaking courageous! Zelda would move differently through a world. She have "Champions" with her, who would protected her, while she can focus on getting knowledge. That would be an adventure for her in her mind. All of this, doesn't make her an ideal character for a traditional Zelda game. And if you change her character to be more like Link .... then she is just Link with a different name.

What even is the reason for Zelda to star in a Zelda game? I always thought, that it was just the closest way to get a female protagonist. As a character she just doesn't fit role, since her character was designed to be the driving force of the plot and Link just the execution of her plans. She is designed to be an NPC and making her a player character would just make Link pointless. Having some empty space in a character, make them more interesting, then trying to maker them fit into a role, they were never designed to fulfill. Like having the movie about Han Solo. You can do it, but you don't really add anything special to it and may in return take away some mystic from them, which make them interesting in the first place. So we would lose more, then we gain.
This is a wildly rigid and bizarre view of what these characters are meant to embody and how their relationship to the various Triforce pieces influences their character. Particularly in the face of how they've actually been depicted throughout the series.

Tetra was a rough and tough pirate captain, SS Zelda was playful and mischievous, Sheik was a badass ninja, BotW Zelda liked roughing it in the wild to look at ruins and specifically did not want some bodyguard babysitting her. These are not characters focused solely on intellectual pursuits, eschewing all other things. They are multifaceted characters with various interests, pursuits and styles.

A huge part of every Zelda game has nothing to with the main story and threat. There are numerous mini-games, side quests and activities that are there simply to entertain both us and Link. Fishing, collectables bugs, masks and poes, various races and challenges and on and on. Link is also playful, curious and inquisitive. He may embody the ideals of courage, but he isn't some single minded automaton that runs straight into battle ignoring all else. BotW's entire experience is designed around the exact opposite of that. You can go directly fight Ganon, but that's dumb and the wise thing to do is explore the world, gather your strength and sharpen your skills and then attack.

A Zelda game encompasses and embraces all aspects of the Triforce and so far Link as the hero is meant to embody all three aspects as well. Wisdom, Power and Courage. You solve puzzles, gain strength and power through your experiences, both tangible and intangible, and take on impossible odds even when you don't know if you have the strength or knowledge to win. Zelda is not the same as him, but she's also not so wildly different that she too couldn't rise the occasion.

Stagnation and a failure to evolve will kill any franchise. Character's must evolve and some traditions are meant to be broken. The series canon already has an instance where the hero explicitly failed and died(two if you count BotW as well) and another where they didn't show up at all. Why would it be so wrong to have another instance where the Princess saved the day? BotW Zelda already stepped up to plate and held Ganon at bay for 100 years after Link all but died and lost were if not for her, why not take it one step further? Zelda has been a damsel in distress numerous times throughout the series. Have Link turn into a painting, get trapped in crystal, turned to stone, soul sucked out of him or put into an endless sleep for once.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'd sooner her use something different. If I wanted a sword and shield I'd sooner be playing as Link.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just want to say something I've been saying for years:

Nintendo needs to make an OOT remake or side story where you play through its events as Zelda/Sheik.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
She should effectively be a mage/alchemist sort of build, maybe a weapon if they feel it's needed but she should be spending all her time throwing out light beams and fireballs

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say something I've been saying for years:

Nintendo needs to make an OOT remake or side story where you play through its events as Zelda/Sheik.
The only thing Sheik accomplishes is rescuing Ruto and catching Link before he goes in the temples. Otherwise you'd just... hide.

I feel if you created wiggle room for Sheik to do anything more meaningful there, it'd undermine the story of OoT.

Playing as Impa in SS seems more interesting, but it'd also be rather short.

Starseeker

Banned
Dec 30, 2020
It doesn't matter what she uses as long as her fighting style isn't the same as Link's. She should even be able to transform into Sheik.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
It'd be kinda lame and uninspired if they just made her a Link clone.

Give her something that makes sense for her character - I dream of like, magitech stuff, like Doc Oc style!

Make her a techie who prefers controlling robotics from a distance, but can also finagle cool stuff like a mech or exoskeleton or something!

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

Give her something that makes sense for her character - I dream of like, magitech stuff, like Doc Oc style!

Make her a techie who prefers controlling robotics from a distance, but can also finagle cool stuff like a mech or exoskeleton or something!
But the poll question is "would you let Zelda use swords? Or would you prevent her from using swords"

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Isn't BOTW Zelda specifically no use in combat?
I thought that was brought up at some point.
It would be cool if between games she has pulled a sarah conner and gone full badass but I doubt Nintendo would do that

If she is playable, it will be Mary Jane in Spiderman all over again lol

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I feel the exact opposite. If they make her playable, I would only really want it as a 'Link clone' . They still have so much room to grow the base BotW formula - I want a single lonely adventurer once again. No character swapping or two distinct playstyles. I don't really care if it's Link or Zelda that we play, but trying to build the game around the idea that Zelda should be playable and also be different from Link just sounds like a complex burden to how they develop the world and game systems. With so many possible ways to approach the game, everything needs to feel good and make sense for both characters.

Now if Zelda is a non-playable character that supplements Link during his adventure at specific moments, not unlike what happened in the last battle of BotW, then I don't care what abilities they give her. Considering she's unlocked the power of the goddess, I expect something like this is far more likely that her being playable.

Oct 26, 2017
I think having characters with different niches works well. I would hate to have Zelda play like Link when she would be awesome as a battle mage.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Now if Zelda is a non-playable character that supplements Link during his adventure at specific moments, not unlike what happened in the last battle of BotW, then I don't care what abilities they give her. Considering she's unlocked the power of the goddess, I expect something like this is far more likely that her being playable.
We'll see, the true ending of BotW implied her powers had dwindled during the 100 years of keeping Ganon at bay. Seemingly using up the last of it in the final battle. So for BotW2 at least her abilities may be rather limited again, if not totally absent, which makes sense as her powers were pretty OP in BotW. Though they could certainly re-awaken once the threat of Ganondorf proper re-awakens just like they did the first time when Calamity emerged and they were needed.

Hopefully I don't think going on a quest to revive her powers will be in the cards given how that was the entire back story to BotW in the first place. And she mentions she doesn't hear the voice in Link's sword which could mean something to do with that, but again the DLC kind of covered repowering the Master Sword and reviving/creating the Master Sword has been done before in two other games. So hopefully they'll do something and interesting with that instead.

Regardless some of these propositions for how Zelda should play don't exactly sound like stuff that would work with a mainline Zelda game and sound better off as spin-off material more than anything else. Whether she uses swords, bows, magic, spears, fists or Sheikah tech to fight enemies it's got to work within the kind of 3rd person action adventure mold that 3D Zeldas operate in. Otherwise you're making a different kind of game. But I'm biased as I mainly care for the thematic and story related implications of playing as Zelda and less so any kind of significant gameplay changes. Making it feel unique to her is important, but that can be done without recreating the entire way she fights. Differences in animation, attack patterns, as well as certain abilities can go a long way. Even in a situation where both might be playable and have access to the same general weapon sets the differences in how they handle can still provide a great of contrast and differentiation. Like 2B and 9S.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Would you want her locked out of using sword+shield/melee weapons?
At least sword and shield. I wouldn't necessarily want her to solely be a bow and arrow user as per most incarnations of her, just because 'female bow user' has been absolutely played out too much.

I guess I'm thinking a bit more traditional 3D Zelda, and not BotW where Link can use everything and the kitchen sink to fight with. In the case of something like the latter then sure, let her use whatever, but I don't think her canonical weapon set should involve a sword and shield. Hell, even just removing the shield and being sword only would change how the combat works.