Would you want Zelda to have such weapons as options? Or ONLY other types of weaponry/tools?

• Swords as options

Votes: 355 50.8%
  • No sword options

Votes: 344 49.2%

• Total voters

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Ideally, it would probably be like HW1. Have her use a sword, but make it drastically different than Link. Though I would still like them both to have a variety of sub-weapons.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I would love to have scene where Zelda picks up the Master Sword to actual wield it for the first time. How would that not be awesome?

u6lp5mlpo6431.jpg

If you want to give her some Witcher like magic powers to use as well on top of it, that's cool too.

She's wielded it before... just never fought with it as far as I'm aware.

BFB784F88CB4817DE3B872E267042A4F0E9DED04

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but how is "prevent her from using swords" letting her stand on her own? Every Link has been able to use swords and bows, and most Links have had some access to magic. But Zelda must be relegated to only magic and bows?
because we've had like fifty games starring a sword boy who kinda sucks at magic and I'd like a game that focused completely on what the wielder of the triforce of wisdom could do. If it is just her hitting things with swords that would be boring

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
She's wielded it before... just never fought with it as far as I'm aware.

BFB784F88CB4817DE3B872E267042A4F0E9DED04
I wouldn't call that wielding, that's just holding it and carrying it over to Link. She never even intended to use it. Seeing Zelda actually pick up the blade, intending to use it, and then using it would be amazing, both within the story of that one game and the series as a whole.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I'd want the default zelda weapon to be whatever made sense for the game's plot and gimmicks, but i assume link style swords would be something she could find and an equivalent weapon to hers would be something link found later. Wont lie, as much as i love BotW zelda, the though of fencing my way thru a full game as TP zelda with a rapier is cool as hell

Unless it was like, a party-based game where she was a mage, link was the swordsman, and some game-specific OC had a different role. If everyone were always in a group ready to hot-swap, the powerups would probably be assigned to each character in sequence.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'd want the default zelda weapon to be whatever made sense for the game's plot and gimmicks, but i assume link style swords would be something she could find and an equivalent weapon to hers would be something link found later. Wont lie, as much as i love BotW zelda, the though of fencing my way thru a full game as TP zelda with a rapier is cool as hell

Unless it was like, a party-based game where she was a mage, link was the swordsman, and some game-specific OC had a different role. If everyone were always in a group ready to hot-swap, the powerups would probably be assigned to each character in sequence.

I really liked the combat in Skyward Sword because it felt a lot like fencing.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think a long staff or spear would be appropriate. Defence through movement rather than armour.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
because we've had like fifty games starring a sword boy who kinda sucks at magic and I'd like a game that focused completely on what the wielder of the triforce of wisdom could do. If it is just her hitting things with swords that would be boring

For that, those weapons would just need to be optional, not completely inaccessible. Saying "Zelda shouldn't be able to use weapons" just feels like the reasoning of Team ICO not having playable female characters being that they're "too weak" to climb stuff

Link has to solve all kinds of puzzles and use his (the player's) smarts throughout the series in addition to fighting, but Zelda can't do both? Doesn't make sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Arrows and magic with some Sheikah training (throwing knives? Various bombs? Stealth?) Is the first thing I think of. I wouldn't really want her to play or animate like Link, it would feel like a bit of a pointless addition. Sword is okay, just as long as she doesn't play just like Link.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Depends. Would she be completely interchangeable with Link, like character select, or completely replace him? Then sure. Switch between the two at different points in the game? Then different.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
I would only see her being playable in like a dungeon or something. I don't see her being a playable character the whole game with only magic and like arrows, that would not work or would be a big change in gameplay for just an option that isn't really authentic to the franchise. If she's playable then it would be closer to link, but again... she wouldn't have the Master Sword and would be weaker...

So yea, i would go magic/utility stuff in a dungeon or as a partner. Not full on playable.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I always enjoy playing with Mage archetypes in 3rd person games so would love if Zelda was magic based.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I always saw Link as the final stage when everything else has exploded and Zelda's role in the three has already somewhat failed. Zelda's the vanguard.

A game featuring her would be interesting since Zelda success = Ganon not taking hold in the world and LInk never having to be reborn really. So anything'd go. She's basically the world's Gandalf.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
I really dug OG Hyrule Warriors Zelda with the combo of rapier/magic/bow.

tumblr_n6ysuuxfKj1tc1wjco2_500.gif

b45203a8776eb5f4beaa4d3f5d2137d8.gif

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The Hyrule Warriors games always had the right idea. She should freely be able to use stuff Link can use, just in different ways.

A rapier, instead of SnS. Bows that use arrows made of light and magic, instead of the more conventional stuff Link uses. Etc, etc.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Both Hyrule Warriors showed what she can do, with swords and without. And I loved them both.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
See reading every response now instead of the first 20 or so. This is why y'all never getting a good game or a mainline Zelda game with zelda actually in it. Too many replies and not one for Zelda using her fist to fight

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
If she were to use a sword, a rapier seems appropriate. Regardless, I'd definitely prefer for her combat style to be more magic-oriented. Link does use magic himself, but it's never a core part of his toolset and you can basically ignore it in most games he has it outside of required uses.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
She's been seen wielding a rapier before, so that could work. I still voted "no" because I feel like she should be magic, and bow and arrow user first and foremost. I also wouldn't like to see her using a shield.

But this would make her gameplay so different from Link; what we're used to Zelda games, that I wouldn't expect or even want to actually have a playable Zelda in the mainline games. If you need a female character to work as an alternative to Link, repurpose Ilia in that role. In the beginning the player would get to choose between playing either Link or Ilia, and the other would show up in the story in a swappable role, like how many Pokémon games starting with Ruby and Sapphire have used the other male/female protagonist in a supporting role instead.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure, ignore that but they can take examples from the game like Shiek. Zelda being a ninja would work really well if they wanted a different playstyle while avoiding the elf with bow stereotype.
I mean, why not just make Impa playable instead if you're going that route

she's earned it

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Zelda as a character isn't done any favors if her playable role is defined as "girl Link."

Link is Courage (pick up a sword and go get your ass beat by a Lynel), Zelda is Wisdom and in Nintendo games I expect form to follow function and not the other way. So if we have a playable Zelda it should be because they had a game design that called for it.

I assume no one would want to play that anyway? Like imagine a Ganondorf game but you're just a re-skinned Link. That wouldn't be satisfying at all. Same if Zelda is just Link.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
How about she gets all the same weapons Link does? He uses everything basically, she should too.

mugwhump

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
fuck that boring shit, she should have nunchucks where one of the nuns shoots out look a hookshot

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
With how the Master Sword can shapeshift to fit the needs of its holder (like how it shrunk for WW Link's use), it'd be cool for a Rapier-type blade for Zelda's use.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Variety is the spice of life.

Plus she looks so cool during the scene in WindWaker when she picks up the Master Sword.

breath-of-the-wild-2-zelda-wind-waker.jpg

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a game where she gets to handle multiple weapon types, like BotW, I don't see why a sword shouldn't be an option. Link uses bows and magic despite not necessarily being associated with them.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Can't see why swords shouldn't be an option. She needs something for close-quarters combat after all.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
The poll is worded in such an odd way. Like, why is it "She should be able to use swords" vs "She should never use swords!" Like, I don't think many people would be upset if she has the option to use them.

That said, I do think magic/arrow Zelda complimenting Link would be cooler.