• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What version would you prefer in a hypothetical Zelda Collection?

• N64

Votes: 156 22.2%
  • 3DS

Votes: 547 77.8%

• Total voters

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I will never understand those who insist that Majora's Mask was intended to be gritty and drab. You can just as easily say it's supposed to have a phantasmagorical carnival atmosphere.
maxresdefault.jpg
latest

latest
latest

latest
Anyway, in this hypothetical case, put the 3DS ones with some control adjustments, since the swimming changes are one of the complaints that I do understand.

Last edited:

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
If Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were rereleased on the Switch, I'd prefer if Nintendo redid the visuals again rather than simply converting the 3DS versions. As for gameplay changes, I think that Nintendo basically got it right for Ocarina of Time (about the only major change needed is making the Iron Boots equipped as an item), but they could do a lot better with Majora's Mask. The 3DS Majora's Mask seems to have a dumb or pointless change for every positive change it makes. Personally, I like the higher-resolution graphics and superior framerate, but I hate how every 3DS Majora's Mask boss has a giant eyeball weak point, which is a common Zelda boss trope that I've long been sick of.

In terms of performance, Nintendo can do a lot better than what they achieved on either the N64 (15-20 FPS) or the 3DS (30 FPS). These games are 20+ years old, and Nintendo should be able to release both of them at 60 FPS with enough tweaking.

Owl statues weren't saves, they were suspend points. And MM has always been notorious for its crashes/freezes. It happened to me at least a couple of times.

I don't think I had any crashes during my last two playthroughs of the N64 version (which were on the Virtual Console, admittedly). Changing the Owl Statues into permanent saves was a pretty good change for the 3DS version, in my opinion, since it was on a handheld, but I am annoyed that Nintendo removed the option to save when turning back time to the first day. I don't get why the 3DS version couldn't have both the Song of Time and Owl Statues as saving options.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were rereleased on the Switch, I'd prefer if Nintendo redid the visuals again rather than simply converting the 3DS versions. As for gameplay changes, I think that Nintendo basically got it right for Ocarina of Time (about the only major change needed is making the Iron Boots equipped as an item), but they could do a lot better with Majora's Mask. The 3DS Majora's Mask seems to have a dumb or pointless change for every positive change it makes. Personally, I like the higher-resolution graphics and superior framerate, but I hate how every 3DS Majora's Mask boss has a giant eyeball weak point, which is a common Zelda boss trope that I've long been sick of.

In terms of performance, Nintendo can do a lot better than what they achieved on either the N64 (15-20 FPS) or the 3DS (30 FPS). These games are 20+ years old, and Nintendo should be able to release both of them at 60 FPS with enough tweaking.

I don't think I had any crashes during my last two playthroughs of the N64 version (which were on the Virtual Console, admittedly). Changing the Owl Statues into permanent saves was a pretty good change for the 3DS version, in my opinion, since it was on a handheld, but I am annoyed that Nintendo removed the option to save when turning back time to the first day. I don't get why the 3DS version couldn't have both the Song of Time and Owl Statues as saving options.
If you can save at owl statues, you don't necessarily need hard saves to be created when you turn back time to day one. Since you don't have to turn back time to create a hard save in the 3DS version, you have the freedom to reload from the save if something goes wrong on a cycle, meaning you don't have to start over from day one. The statues therefore provide more flexibility, and it's entirely possible that there are scenarios in which a player wouldn't want to save the game when they turn back time.

Ideally, for me, a Switch version of MM would be a cleaned up version of MM3D, with the QoL improvements in place and gameplay tweaks to make it better playing in its swimming controls and the like.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
3DS with further tweaks to the 3DS version of MM to have the option of making it more like the N64 version.

I expect the N64 versions though.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I'd probably want the upgraded versions. Or have both.

But we know they will just port the GameCube collection and call it a day 😂

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
The originals are unplayable after the remake, as much as it concerns me.
In both cases.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
They messed up Zora swimming in MM, and ruined the atmosphere of the Ganon fight in OoT. I don't care about qol changes, so originals for me. All they need is an upped resolution and frame rate.

Mandelbrot

Sep 16, 2019
3DS has many QoL improvements that really should be there. At the very least they should backport those to the N64 version.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Can I whynotboth.gif?

Halo MCC effectively does this with HCE/H2, and we get remaster releases like Close Encounters and Blade Runner giving us every version. Companies like Nintendo should be going above and beyond with their treatments of games like OoT. Let me experience it in all of its form, each taken to the best level possible, while preserving what makes each unique.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
By far I would love the 3DS versions.
The better graphics and stuff like that would look great with a higher resolution on Switch.
Release the originals on Nintendo Online.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
With the radical differences in art and gameplay (more so in MM's case) I think it would only be appropriate to have both

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
3DS versions with adjustments to Majora's Mask to restore elements from the original.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Both would have been my vote. But just picking one or tother, I'd have to go with the 3DS versions. MM is a bit dicey, but OoT is just way better.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The 3DS remakes, easily. I want to see those updated graphics on the big screen, even if it's just a 720p up-rez. The N64 versions have been ported and re-released a ton of times already. I would like some sort of ability to toggle between the N64 and 3DS versions of Majora's Mask's gameplay mechanics, though.

It's a shame about both games' 3DS visuals losing some of the "darker" qualities of the originals in terms of art design, but a lot more is gained than lost overall.

Last edited:

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
3ds versions would ve fine if they fixed the artstyle they lost the art design of the originals