• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Gears 5 was actually a great game to me. Much better than 4. I'm wondering if all these critics even played the game...

I have to agree - it's better than 4 on every level, and the only real issue you can leverage at it is the cover mechanics feel the same as all the other gears. I HATED 4. I play a chapter of 5 every once in a while and have fun.

Also, I think they should move from cover mechanics on the next game, theres enough lore and interesting things to switch it up a bit.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Gears 5, never played Gears 4 at all so I'm kinda mixed on the premise of this thread. I think The Coalition could definitely pull off a new IP, but at the same time one more Gears with even more changes can be really good.

I still don't understand the dislike for Gears 5 unless you've had a Xbox One the entire generation?!?!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
After 6 definitely, but Gears 4 showed that (well arguably Judgement really), not Gears 5, which was just a really good game, that ended pretty weak (far better than 4's still) but built to a climax of the current story well enough. The series needs a big change up or long rest to get people invested again though, that's clear. Always hard to keep franchise going when it "ends" I think doing completely different spin offs is a smart way to handle the transition of the franchise, especially when we'd be post 6.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
If they make Gears 6 there next game I feel that Phil have lost it, I bet they are a bit tired of making the same games now.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
As someone who enjoys Gears 1-4, and Judgement I could never get very far into 5. Just didn't give a crap once you get to the open area.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
They should have never allowed themselves to be renamed to The Coalition. Talk about a ball and chain. So much of Microsoft's IP is so tired.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Gears just isn't for me but they're clearly talented, so I'd say, yeah, I agree.

Would be super interested in any new IP they could come up with.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I really liked Gears 5 as someone who played only 4 in the series. However I didn't like that they decided to stretch out the story to another game. I was expecting them to wrap everything up, but then they give you this side stuff to do instead of just progressing the story to its finality. The main villain they set up is barely in the game.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I'd say they've earned the right - they coud've phoned in the last two titles, but they did just about the best they could within the constraints. They're one of MS's most reliable studios and I think they're capable of much more.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know, I loved Gears 5. Great campaign, but I didnt touch the MP at all, Horde, competitive, Escape, nothing.

It's easily the best since 2. Having said that I still agree with you, OP.

I want them on a new IP. Gears just doesnt feel as fresh. It's shooting is no where near as visceral or satisfying as it used to be and the movement still feels so... IDK, slow?