• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through the Bill Gates thread got me thinking that, even if science produces a vaccine, there will be a lot of people who will refuse to take it because they are stupid. With something like Covid-19, it must be removed completely either by viral resistance or heard immunity, but if folks refuse to take the vaccine, how will that affect us non-stupid people? Could their idiocy keep this virus alive and if they do, should government step in against their will?

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You're free to not take it. But then if you set foot outside your house, get charged for being a biohazard. (People that can't medically take the vaccine are excluded).

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I think so but there's not much of a mechanism within our legal and social norms to compel people to take a vaccine against their will.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, everyone should be forced to take it unless for some reason they absolutely should not.

Before people can return to work people should need to get a free certificate proving they've taken the vaccine.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, we need to set up some kind of travel restriction for those who did not take it. Assuming it will be free and readily available - of course.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good question, I'm not sure what I'd do as of right now. Not wild about the idea if I have to show some sort of proof in order to work, travel, etc.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Yes because there are going to be some people who can't take the vaccine for legitimate medical reasons and those people would wind up being at risk because of the morons who refuse to take it.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I believe herd immunity is typically achieved when at least 60% of a population has immunity. So unless we have massive amounts of people who refuse to take the vaccine, we should be OK.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, not at all. People that don't want to get sick get have the vaccine, people that don't want to use a hastily-developed medical product can take the risk.

Nov 11, 2017
I don't think forcing it is necessary. As with all vaccines, enough will be vaccinated to protect the dumbasses.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I would like to believe that anti-vaxxers are a small amount and it wouldn't matter much in the long run. As in there are not enough anti-vaxxer to keep it alive.

Also Government forcing people to take it sounds like a great way to create a lot more anti-vaxxers

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While an interesting thought exercise, it should be noted that in reality, it is very unlikely that the initial batch of a COVID-19 vaccine would be sufficiently produced to allow a government to mandate everyone be vaccinated. Chances are that supplies will be limited and it will then be more of a question as to who should prioritized to be vaccinated.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading through the Bill Gates thread got me thinking that, even if science produces a vaccine, there will be a lot of people who will refuse to take it because they are stupid. With something like Covid-19, it must be removed completely either by viral resistance or heard immunity, but if folks refuse to take the vaccine, how will that affect us non-stupid people? Could their idiocy keep this virus alive and if they do, should government step in against their will?
Probably the best you could do is restrict travel internationally or to certain areas like islands (Hawaii)

Like require passport/vaccination to enter.

People can do whatever they want in their homes, but travelling abroad and infecting others is the issue.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
I believe herd immunity is typically achieved when at least 60% of a population has immunity. So unless we have massive amounts of people who refuse to take the vaccine, we should be OK.

It really depends. Some diseases only require 40%, while others like measles require upwards of 90+%. Most diseases require 80-90% population immunity.

Reckheim

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. This shit wont go away even after quarantines are lifted, as soon as people start going outside again it will spike up.

Either the population has enough infections that a natural immunization happens (which would take years); or we force everyone to take the vaccine.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Unless you have a allergy to an ingredient or other similar medical condition that makes it a bad idea, you should be compelled to get the vaccine. Otherwise you are a danger to others.

Certainly heavy restrictions will need to be placed on people who refuse for no good reason, e.g. no long distance travel or plane trips where they stand a serious risk of infecting others.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they can legally mandate it but it would be interesting to see how far they can expand current laws to permit such a mandate.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Let those who want to be protected take it and let natural selection take care of the rest!

In all seriousness I don't know what the answer is as you can't physically force someone to take it and yet on the flip side those who don't want the immunisation shot leave themselves at risk from each other. If you're talking parents not vaccinating their kids then that could be a big issue in schools given the speed at which this spreads.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, we need government mandated vaccines globally for everyone without existing medical conditions. Fucking stupid anti-vaxxers need to lose their rights to decide on their own medical treatment when their decision kills other people.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
It should work like any other vaccine - you don't literally have to take it, but not taking it bars you from most things (schools, businesses/restaurants, large non-religious based places for gathering, etc). Things that may normally not keep unvaccinated people out of them/don't check whether you are might have to do things to proactively protect and disinfect themselves so that they don't have overzealous anti-vax people coming in there and trying to sue them into oblivion on some bullshit, though.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I think the idea of going around not vaccinated is the reverse of a human right.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
The only people I feel should be exempt are those with medical reasons to not take vaccines. Otherwise, refusing to take a vaccine isn't just putting yourself at risk, but also putting the aforementioned group at risk. However, herd immunity (which a vaccine enables) is so so important for stopping COVID that vaccinations should be mandated.

And the mandated shouldn't be seen as just fighting anti-vaxxer sentiment either; by making it required, this also something put pressure on employers to give time off to take the vaccine, etc.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Yes, and while we're at it, make some other vaccines also mandatory or at least semi-mandatory (like, if you don't take them, your insurance increases significantly).

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
If the vaccine is passed for use then yes it absolutely should be. It's the same as social distancing, you are protecting other people as much as yourself.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Maybe a better govt would, but not this one. This govt wouldn't make it a requirement to take it but find a way to sell it and the poor will continue to die off in droves while still being unable to isolate and working service jobs.