• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I got a 144hz monitor to compliment my lg c9 yesterday D: omg it's sooooo smooth on games I can hit above 120hz like I tried the dq11 demo and wow it's like knife cutting through butter

I have a 3080 now and playing games that I can hit it it feels like a crazy good experience games feel so responsive to my inputs and yeah I put it back to 60fps to test and it's instantly noticeable ;( not like going from 60 back to 30 (which is absolutely disgusting) but I was wrong and not ashamed to admit it

I find myself using my 1440p144 monitor now more than my c9 just because I can hit higher frame rates at the native res of my monitor!! What is this madness ;lol

But yeah high frame rates! Just wanted to share :)

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
9c174d1f-6e34-4c7f-9e7e-e5048723e5c7-gif.792521

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Is there a fairly affordable monitor people would recommend?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
So I can definitely agree with that if you're a K+M user, otherwise 60 is easy to adjust back to on a controller.

Try Ghostrunner on your 3080; a locked 144fps or 60fps with RTX on, there's only one choice.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, we're laughed at until others go from 144 to 60 and it feels like greased knives to the eyes

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
I'd still like to know why I was getting 120+ in DOOM with dips into the 90s randomly.

And hard locks for 20 seconds at a time.

Yeah, 90 fps is good but a 30+ fps drop is very jarring.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
As a console pleeb I can't wait to try something that hits 120fps on my CX just to see what I've been missing out on.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely great, but for me 60 to 120 only looks/feels noticeably better when you're playing with mouse and keyboard. It's still better than 60 with a controller, but not nearly as noticeable as the difference between 30 and 60.

But with M+K, yeah, it's the real deal.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
How affordable is affordable? You can get a Pixio PX277 from Amazon for £320, that would set you for many many years on PC, it wouldn't have great HDR support nor HDMI 2.1 for the new consoles but then most monitors don't either.

Otherwise, grab a 1080p/144hz monitor for anywhere between £160-£220

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, since I can't get the 3080, I've set my tv to 1440 120 hz and it is amazing. I played forza horizon 4, MHWI, and warzone. All of them looked and felt amazing. I hope fighting games change to 120fps.. that would probably feel and look amazing.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really find it to be that true. I enjoy playing games like Doom Eternal at 144 Hz and then I also enjoy TLOU2 at 30 FPS on the very same screen. Sure, I notice in the first few minutes but after that the game is either good or it isn't, the FPS is just gravy on top.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
120 vs 60 is going to be the new insufferable 60 vs 30 for the next few years isn't it.

giphy.gif

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I've got a neat 144Hz monitor but can't find a decent DisplayPort cable that works for FreeSync on a 2070, which apparently is a hard thing to find here ;(

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
My eyes are still satisfied with 30FPS, granted I haven't touched 120FPS before, and generally play on graphics mode on ps4, so 30>60.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
144hz is awesome, but now I get annoyed at games that don't support it, or are poorly optimized for it (e.g. some older games that only use like 1 CPU core struggle to hit 120+fps)

OP
OP
nogoodnamesleft
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno...
I go from 30 to 120 and back all the time without issue. *shrug*

But I know it affects some more than others.

Yeah my missus doesn't really care for the change but for me it's wooooooof it's been beautiful to my eyes

I'll play 30fps games I won't just ignore a good game because of frame rate, but I'll tell you this, I'll hate the frame rate for the entirety of my play through of said game!!

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I really like 60fps but I don't even have a hard time going back to 30fps after 60fps. I'm even still okay playing some N64 games at sub-30fps, though I don't like it. I don't think I've ever consciously noticed a higher than 60fps framerate.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on your new monitor, OP! You seem to like it.

I love playing games on my high-framerate monitor when I can get the game running all "gotta go fast." I mentioned in a thread recently that the first game I played when I got it was Bulletstorm (you had to download an ini editor to do so at the time though), and it felt freaking fantastic.

That said, I have no issues going from my PC to console as long as the framerate is steady. I mean, I play a lot of games on PC to mess around, but I almost never finish a game on PC. I'll finish them on console (I don't know why that is...).

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
I've been firmly in console territory for most of my life, a good 20+ years and recently built my first PC and uhhh yeah it really is hard to go back. I've been playing most (ok all) games at 75fps (the max my screen can put out, weird value I know) for the past few weeks and I went back to my Switch to play the Hyrule Warriors demo and it was rough.

However! I definitely think 30fps is still acceptable. There are a lot of games on 30fps that run and feel great (I particularly remember Sony first parties feeling pretty good for 30fps). The distance from the screen and generally more laidback feel of console gaming also makes it not as bad as low framerate on PC.

ps. Concur with posts about high refresh rates being more noticeable with a mouse! It's extremely noticeable with a mouse but not so with a controller, probably because you can move your POV (relatively) extremely fast with a mouse compared to a gamepad. Actions that require flicking camera controls feel great at high FPSs.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1080/120 is still good right? Saved a few hundred and went that route rather than 1440/120, and I also purchased a 65" 4k TV with it. Figured big boy for 4k/60, which we'll be lucky to get (4k/30 will be the norm), with the 1080/120 for the rare gems.

💆

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Just to stir the pot a little ... I still think they're full of it. I upgraded to 144hz a while back but it never felt like it mattered much to me, also yes I mainly play shooters and racing games. While it is an improvement I don't see it as a must have for me to enjoy a game or even remain competitive at my skill level which I'd say is about average.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Still kinda are in my opinion. I play on a 144Hz monitor. The difference is noticable sure, but I wouldn't say it's anything even close to "game ruining" to go back to 60FPS. It's perfectly serviceable. It's like the difference between 4k and 1080p, noticeable, but it's really not worth raising a stink over.

Honestly, I notice the difference most in general computer use, not games.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you don't know what you are missing, you won't know what you are missing.
It's why I just don't pay attention to frame rate or anything. Makes me much happy cause I never worry about the framerate.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I can still handle 30fps on games fine if I'm playing on console, however I will agree that the more the better. After upgrading video card and monitor, most games have been buttery smooth, especially FFXIV.

A few months back I picked up a Gigabyte G27QC 27". Sure there are better options, but it was the more affordable one I was looking at, as I was looking for a curved monitor. 165hz and 1440p. Had to fiddle with some of the settings to get it to look better, but so far I've been pretty happy with the purchase. Will say the biggest issue I have is that it doesn't do window glare all that well.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I feel like I must be dumb because I have a 165hz display on my desktop, 60hz on my laptop, and whatever my Switch gives me on a game to game basis and for the life of me I struggle to see the difference between the 60 and 165hz...even Age of Calamity didn't seen nearly as disastrous FPS-wise as I saw others complaining about. It felt like it was a pretty constant 30fps. Maybe my eyes are just broken.

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
I was helping a family member organize PC equipment since it's a small office of older women. For some reason they had three 1440p 27" 155hz (OC) Freesync gaming monitors. Since they were trying to clean house I was able to snag one for a good deal and yes, everything you said is true! I can barely run new games on my sandy bridge CPU but when my GPU is pulling its weight it's pure magic.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I have no issue going back to 60, but certain games at 30 are unplayable to me. Not all, but some

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I feel like I must be dumb because I have a 165hz display on my desktop, 60hz on my laptop, and whatever my Switch gives me on a game to game basis and for the life of me I struggle to see the difference between the 60 and 165hz...even Age of Calamity didn't seen nearly as disastrous FPS-wise as I saw others complaining about. It felt like it was a pretty constant 30fps. Maybe my eyes are just broken.
www.windowscentral.com

How to change monitor refresh rates in Windows 10

Using the correct monitor refresh rate can help to improve your viewing experience, and in this guide, we'll show you the steps to adjust this setting in Windows 10.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I believe that higher framerate is always better.

But I'm a console player by choice because I like the relative convenience of not thinking about all of the technical calculus that comes with knowing your hardware's capabilities, the effects of in-game settings on performance, etc. I'm objectively at a disadvantage of achieving the best framerates on the market because of this subscription to convenience, but I sure as heck really appreciate it when devs do the work to provide me with solid options to go higher without overly damaging visual downgrades. I get the feeling that some of this glorious early 120fps support isn't going to be seen much for the coming years on the console side, but I've picked my poison and I absolutely understand why I'm at a loss on that front. If I want it, I'll have to put in the work.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Ghostrunner at 144fps with kb+m is sublime, but 60fps doesn't bother me. Heck, 30fps is fine for a lot of games too, depending on the genre and smoothness of said 30fps incl. motion blur implementation (like Spider-Man).

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I honestly had no idea 120fps was even possible.

It's not like bread, is it. Bread. They invented it, it was great. Bread. Always the same, past present and future.