• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh my bad thought you were taking auto updates.

Ya, but you did highlight something I didn't know either. I've always turned off auto updates so I didn't realize it would only auto update the games on your home screen. I always assumed the to prevent what you were saying from happening, you should turn off automatic updates. That's interesting since I would actually leave it on in that case.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
For people saying xbox, didnt x1 do it as well but didn't label it? I heard it was intertwined with install. Not sure if SX does it too.
It is merged on any system where download and install sizes are not identical. If PS5 hid it, people wouldn't complain even though it would still take same time.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
It launched more than 3 months ago and it is still broken in UI, system and features. Well done PlayStation. I sold my PS5 and I am enjoying Series X a lot more as a 3rd party machine. I dont get it. They had xy years to launch a new console that works as intended. And please dont slap covid excuse again because they arent even adressing all the shit people are complaining about.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
PS5's Dashboard/OS is a mess to be honest. Last night the Dashboard crashed on me 3 times just trying to look up my trophies or look at the download/upload tab while PS5 was downloading Miles Morales. It's funny that PS5 had no problem with me playing Astor while that was happening, but navigating the Dashboard was way too much for it to handle.

I bought my og PS4 a few months after the launch as well and I don't remember ever having any problems just navigating the Dashboard. It feels like PS5's OS just wasn't ready for launch.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
57997219.jpg

:p

This genuinely got a laugh out of me

273 games? Definitely the 0.1% of gamers having this problem

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I've never had any problems? Just set for something to download.. walk off and your phone app tells you when it's ready to play. Pretty simple?

Seeks like such a small thing to ditch an entire console over tbh, some huge overreacting here.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
The copying bullshit that wasn't supposed to be a thing anymore was one of the things I was looking forward to the most. I fuckin hate it so damn much. It's stopped me from playing almost every time it happens. I just end up turning off the console and doing something else. Hooooly fuvk do I ever hate it.

So did he just straight up lie about this? I'm choked.

When you play a gane that has constant updates, like Warzone for instance, its a massive pain in the ass. And it creates massive problems with organizing space on the console. A 17GB update will require 100+GB of free space. It's fucking ridiculous

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
will say downloads are hell a lot faster on ps5 then on the xbox it take for ever to download updates

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Objectively Microsoft is handling game installs, storage space (Series X) and expanded storage much better than Sony this generation. Not to mention I can actually organize and find my games.

I had no problem finding and organizing games on PS4, but on PS5 I found myself using the Store to launch games I already had installed.

I prefer the PS4 UI, but to say it's difficult to find games on your PS5 when there's the Installed section in your games tab is a bit ridiculous.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
PS5 games are so quick though...
PS4 games with BC are MUCH faster than on PS4. I literally had to wait 40min sometimes on PS4 for this. On PS5, it's generally 25-30 sec MAX.
I literally sat for 30 mins waiting for Warzone to update via copying. This is a CAP lol. My base friends XB1 downloaded faster it took me because they didn't have copying. Took 10 mins to DL 10 gigs, then 30 mins to copying the fcking file. Normally it is a whatever thing, but on new season day it was absolutely infuriating because PS5 doesn't get auto-push on Warzone until 9pm, where as on PS4 it pushed the update like 12-24 hours early to avoid this .

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
The only game I've really noticed it for is Rocket League, but it takes an obnoxiously long time for that games updates

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For people saying xbox, didnt x1 do it as well but didn't label it? I heard it was intertwined with install. Not sure if SX does it too.
xb1 does have it. It just does the process at the same time as the download. It's why fortnite updates take forever.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I've never had any problems? Just set for something to download.. walk off and your phone app tells you when it's ready to play. Pretty simple?

Seeks like such a small thing to ditch an entire console over tbh, some huge overreacting here.
It certainly is. Selling an entire console because of an extra wait after downloading a file is fanboy nonsense. Either these are entitled rich kids or they aren't really selling consoles, just whining online (likely).

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017

I like to have as many games accessible as possible (well into the 200s) I also like to organise in folders, but I'm not using extended storage, or reinstalling all my arcade games etc. until Sony sort out folders. There is no way in hell I'm putting my games back until then.

Putting 273 games onto PS5 then complaining about it seems ridiculous to me, just wait until folders and searching is sorted, otherwise you're making a rod for your own back. It's annoying, but it is what it is - Sony are always slow with this shit.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the PS4 UI, but to say it's difficult to find games on your PS5 when there's the Installed section in your games tab is a bit ridiculous.

I explained what happens if you have hundreds of games installed on external. They are valid criticisms.
It is not a problem when you're just talking about the 600GB internal drive of course.

A 4TB USB drive isn't that expensive. It would be more wasteful if I constantly installed/uninstalled games when I wanted to play them.

I like to have as many games accessible as possible (well into the 200s) I also like to organise in folders, but I'm not using extended storage, or reinstalling all my arcade games etc. until Sony sort out folders. There is no way in hell I'm putting my games back until then.

Putting 273 games onto PS5 then complaining about it seems ridiculous to me, just wait until folders and searching is sorted, otherwise you're making a rod for your own back. It's annoying, but it is what it is - Sony are always slow with this shit.

Why is it ridiculous? I transferred my PS4 library to external drive and hooked it up to my PS5. What was I supposed to do? I'm all-digital so I can't exactly grab a disc and put it in the drive. You seem to have done the same.

Again, I don't see how wanting a 'Search' function in the library or better ways to organize it is 'ridiculous'.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020
Try having problems logging in to Xbox Live and with that not even being able to play any games on my Series X (because you have to be offline to do that and to be in offline mode you apparently have to be online first, god I miss how the 7th gen consoles handled stuff like this).

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Look at it this way. Shit downloads about 50 times faster on PS5 than it did on PS4. so you're still getting In the game faster even with the copying process. Lol.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Look at it this way. Shit downloads about 50 times faster on PS5 than it did on PS4. so you're still getting In the game faster even with the copying process. Lol.
I see everyone saying this but it's not the case for me. I dunno what the problem is. I have 1GB internet. It's a wired connection and I never get over 30MB a second download speeds. Same as it was on PS4. Am I missing something?

When I test my connection on the console it says around 900 down but yeah. PSN download speeds are like 30

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I don't see how wanting a 'Search' function in the library or better ways to organize it is 'ridiculous'.

Because you know that the folders aren't available and the searching doesn't work, so just wait until they are before putting your whole library back on. I have a 2TB external with PS4 games, and my PS4 had a 2TB drive inside, if I put all those games back on knowing things aren't working like the PS4 I'd be pretty stupid to complain.

Of course I'm not saying it's ridiculous to want those things, why would I? I want them just as much, and when they're ready I'll put my library back on PS5.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because you know that the folders aren't available and the searching doesn't work, so just wait until they are before putting your whole library back on. I have a 2TB external with PS4 games, and my PS4 had a 2TB drive inside, if I put all those games back on knowing things aren't working like the PS4 I'd be pretty stupid to complain.

Of course I'm not saying it's ridiculous to want those things, why would I? I want them just as much, and when they're ready I'll put my library back on PS5.

So you're saying that because I know that folders/search is coming (we don't, but yes we can assume) I can't talk about my issues with the current UX? And.. it's stupid to complain about it knowing that these issues exist?

I don't get it. Is it not allowed to criticize Sony? I voiced my opinion, someone asked/confronted me, and I explained in detail.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
So you're saying that because I know that folders/search is coming (we don't, but yes we can assume) I can't talk about my issues with the current UX? And.. it's stupid to complain about it knowing that these issues exist?

I don't get it. Is it not allowed to criticize Sony? I voiced my opinion, someone asked/confronted me, and I explained in detail.

Man, there is some serious misunderstanding going on here, you went off like a top about something I'm not even saying.

Either I'm saying it wrong, or you're reading wrong, but I'm not going over it again

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Ya, but you did highlight something I didn't know either. I've always turned off auto updates so I didn't realize it would only auto update the games on your home screen. I always assumed the to prevent what you were saying from happening, you should turn off automatic updates. That's interesting since I would actually leave it on in that case.
I'm not 100% on the criteria it checks for when to update or not but the only time I ever see updates start is either when they're new for something I'm playing as the patch comes out or near enough anything I have to dig through the library to start

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a cataclysmic, world-ending problem now... but once devs start working with the new tools and we start seeing it less nobody will even remember it was there. Just like everything else.

Oct 27, 2017
As long as it's faster than before. Ps4 copying was hell

And have you heard about how Game Pass is sweeping the gaming landscape with all first party games included on day one! It is truly a game-changer. Catch the fever

All of this sounds wonderful... But I don't buy a console unless their exec is the nicest man on the planet. Is he the nicest man on the planet

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I've noticed this only occurs on non Native ps5 games. Games that are "ported" to the 5 with a "native" version still do this. Which tells me it is probably just in a container but still not actually ps5 Native game. It is annoying sure, but is so much quicker.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
With installs taking less than 5 minutes in most games I barely notice copying except for Physical games

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed this only occurs on non Native ps5 games. Games that are "ported" to the 5 with a "native" version still do this. Which tells me it is probably just in a container but still not actually ps5 Native game. It is annoying sure, but is so much quicker.

I had to download a Destruction Allstars update the other day and it still did the copying thing.

Lange

Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Sounds annoying indeed.

Living in a third world country does cause a distortion between how we play games here and how the majority of Era plays. Download speeds here are so bad I never noticed the copying problem.

Other thing I noticed is the fan noise on the PS4. It's pretty hot here and we don't have money for an AC system, so every console I've ever owned was always running on jet speed.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The wait isn't even the worst part, it's how it makes what meager storage space there is count for even less. I literally had to remove 40+gb of data because a large game required a 435mb update - which is just absurd.

Not looking to Console War it up, but I'm glad I went with the Series X for the time being until I guess at least my 3 years of game pass expires (though MS Rewards may prolong that). My hope is that by that point all the exclusives I want to play will be out, a hardware revision will be on the horizon and it'll be smaller and a little prettier than the OG model PS5, and that some of these OS/platform kinks are worked out as PS4 support starts dropping and the system matures.

No console warring at all. I have both, leaned overwhelmingly PS4 last gen, and the Series X has seperated itself as my primary machine due the hardware, ecosystem, and the ways the two thoughtfully enhance one another. More features, more convenience, it's just a better place to play, IMO.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I definitely hope a member of the press is able to ask Cerny a question about it eventually, because I was very much looking forward to it going away,

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Many times I wondered if my ps5 is busted or not (it's not) given how long it takes to copy the game I download, given it's happening inside the superfast ps5 ssd

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It is merged on any system where download and install sizes are not identical. If PS5 hid it, people wouldn't complain even though it would still take same time.
No Xbox doesn't copy. I even quoted one guy from Xbox saying this. Stop this nonsense narrative that PS is just not hidding it.
xb1 does have it. It just does the process at the same time as the download. It's why fortnite updates take forever.
Fortnite updates don't take forever and no as the Xbox guy on here said, Xbox doesn't copy.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
No Xbox doesn't copy. I even quoted one guy from Xbox saying this. Stop this nonsense narrative that PS is just not hidding it.
So you're telling me Xbox directly dumps the data from internet to disk drive without decompressing/installing anything (like the progress bar suggests)? That is some seriously impressive tech that isn't even available to any PC clients.

Woiwode

Banned
Sep 18, 2019
Doesn't steam do this aswell with some games? I recently had to wait half an hour for a Warhammer 2 patch to install after it finshed downloading.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
- I have 273 games installed on Extended Storage and there is no SEARCH function (and 931 games total which makes the issue even greater)

- When you scroll down the library and have it set to Alphabetically, it doesn't show the active LETTER you are on like how Steam (and maybe Xbox) does it. So you can't quickly scroll through.

I use the Search button at the top right where the Profile and Settings icon are.
I have 500+ games installed so I know your pain.

I'd love for it to show the active letter when scrolling. So annoying.

It does auto update stuff not on the home screen.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So you're telling me Xbox directly dumps the data from internet to disk drive without decompressing/installing anything (like the progress bar suggests)? That is some seriously impressive tech that isn't even available to any PC clients.
it does installing, but with a patch as I proved earlier it takes less than 1 second after downloading. Copying is an entirely different thing than installing, because on PS a 43mb patch can require you to have 30GB of free space and it takes much longer. Xbox doesn't do that. If you have 2GB available on the SSD, then you can install a 1,9GB patch easily. Will be installed in no time, too.

Installing =/= copying! There are two major complains with PS. Copying takes up to much space and it is done after the download, hence it taking so much time.

Last edited:

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is console warring at its lowest.. not even trying to disguise it in most of the answers.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I'm curious does someone have a video actually documenting the time it takes, and yes making sure it's not CoD warzone on an external - which would obviously be as slow as PS4.
I've never seen the copy times the OP is talking about. Edit - I must use autoupdates and rest mode I guess.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
It launched more than 3 months ago and it is still broken in UI, system and features. Well done PlayStation. I sold my PS5 and I am enjoying Series X a lot more as a 3rd party machine. I dont get it. They had xy years to launch a new console that works as intended. And please dont slap covid excuse again because they arent even adressing all the shit people are complaining about.

I'm using my PS5 on a daily basis since release and i'm not having any issues at all. No clue what you on about lol. Those issues are extremey overblown

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
The wait isn't even the worst part, it's how it makes what meager storage space there is count for even less. I literally had to remove 40+gb of data because a large game required a 435mb update - which is just absurd.

No console warring at all. I have both, leaned overwhelmingly PS4 last gen, and the Series X has seperated itself as my primary machine due the hardware, ecosystem, and the ways the two thoughtfully enhance one another. More features, more convenience, it's just a better place to play, IMO.

I think a lot of folks aren't aware of the convenience/quality life things that makes the series x a really nice experience. Threads like this remind me of what some folks are willing to tolerate. Obviously owning both consoles isn't always an option or getting hands on experience on both - but it's hard not to recognize how well MS has built up their new OS/HW this gen that I think get too little recognition.

And yeah, the storage story for PS5 is pretty miserable right now. It'll get better but you'd expect it to not have regressed from PS4 this much between gens.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I'm curious does someone have a video actually documenting the time it takes, and yes making sure it's not CoD warzone on an external - which would obviously be as slow as PS4.
I've never seen the copy times the OP is talking about. Edit - I must use autoupdates and rest mode I guess.
I wish there was a clear video of it online but it'd be rather boring. The Division 2 does this all the time.
The patch can be 250MB and it will download and install super quickly (seconds), but then it starts "Copying" with a percentage that takes upwards of 20+ mins alone.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't steam do this aswell with some games? I recently had to wait half an hour for a Warhammer 2 patch to install after it finshed downloading.

Yeah, Steam does something similar when unpacking games. My Internet definitely downloads stuff faster than my HDD can unpack them on my computer.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
"Xbox does this too"

I can't say I've ever had to sit for 30 minutes after a 300mb with CoD, that's never happened that I recall. Seems to be a PS thing.