• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If everyone had kept this "It's good enough!" mindset, we wouldn't play in 3D or Dolby Atmos now. We wouldn't play anything. We would still ride horses instead of cars. The problem is not people expecting more, it's people expecting less and being ok with it.

I wouldn't even complain if Nintendo let me spend more money for a system that can run BotW at 1080p & 60fps, like it should in 2021, I would really love to, but they don't let me.

This is a gaming forum. Of course people expect better around here. Do you think people on a movie forum would be happy with the latest James Bond releasing at 720p or with stereo sound, claiming it was "good enough"?

I discovered 60fps when the SNES was a thing. Obviously compromises had to be made when 3D gaming became the norm but I'm seriously surprised that people still defend poor performance in 2021 like it was anything outrageous to expect games to perform better than they currently do.
I.....don't even have words to describe this post. Like what? How do you go from "some people don't mind not having 60fps" to "we'd still be riding horses?"

Like 60fps was very much a thing when BotW came out, it wasn't some secret thing only a few people knew about. BotW still went on to be one of most highly acclaimed games in Nintendos history.

You're even contradicting yourself, if you knew about 60fps since the SNES then shouldn't you have thought BotW was bad from day 1? Yet you somehow put in over 200 hours into it? Mind explaining that to me?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I.....don't even have words to describe this post. Like what? How do you go from "some people don't mind not having 60fps" to "we'd still be riding horses?"

Like 60fps was very much a thing when BotW came out, it wasn't some secret thing only a few people knew about. BotW still went on to be one of most highly acclaimed games in Nintendos history.

You're eve contradicting yourself if you knew about 60fps since the SNES then shouldn't you have thought BotW was bad from day 1? Yet you somehow put in over 200 hours into it? Mind explaining that to me?
Perhaps he didn't discover 60 FPS yet? It was practically unheard of in the 3D era until the PS5 shone a light on it

Nov 4, 2017
Already felt outdated when I played it for the first and only time in 2018.
It's an alright game otherwise, nothing to write home about really. Never got back to it after I beat the final boss (having done all four dungeons).

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could not disagree more. I played it on CEMU @ 4K 60fps after playing Genshin and Fenyx Rising and still is a damn classic. On another league to those games. What newer games dont get is the exploration, world design, the effects of the environment on you, physics and the fine balance of making the survival aspects not overwhelm the player.

Dont get me wrong, the Divine Beasts are a shit substitute to the classic dungeons. Bosses are bad and uninspired. Still, Breath of the Wild is an unforgettable journey and will probably not age at all.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I guess some people think the game being a masterclass in game design / world design make up for it running at a measly 30 fps with occasional drops. The heathens.

I could not disagree more. I played it on CEMU @ 4K 60fps after playing Genshin and Fenyx Rising and still is a damn classic. On another league to those games. What newer games dont get is the exploration, world design, the effects of the environment on you, physics and the fine balance of making the survival aspects not overwhelm the player.

Dont get me wrong, the Divine Beasts are a shit substitute to the classic dungeons. Bosses are bad and uninspired. Still, Breath of the Wild is an unforgettable journey and will probably not age at all.
I see you did not read the OP or the rest of the thread.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
My intention was just to state my opinion that performance and playability is the key factor and should be held to higher standards for interactive media such as videogames because we all would benefit from it.

You can pick two:

Portable form factor
Cheap price
High power

That is the reality of the platform. To become the inordinately successful platform that it is, Switch is the first two. They've not got it wrong. Once you have realised what the platform is, why it is, your standards are set appropriately. By the standards of a mass market portable console, the Switch is incredible hardware with amazing games. By the standards of an unfathomably huge monster console that costs £450, it is less impressive.

But that is like wondering why a tablet laptop is less powerful than a large tower and then being confused and then outraged.

Jun 2, 2019
Regret buying a Wii U for Zelda honestly. People complaining about Switch versions performance don't even know.
Wii U felt like it was gonna melt during certain towns.

It dipped basically on any town that wasn't Tarry town, but improved significantly with updates. It made obvious where the target shifted to the Switch.

I still played it to completion on Wii U, though

Ragnite

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing in part due to this. I might try it again on emulator at some point though.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Personally while I liked Genshin (I still have to try Immortals) BotW really didn't do it for me. I don't really know why, but I played for a bit, felt really bored and left it there. Don't really feel the need to comeback either.

I don't remember the performance being super bad, though. Maybe next time I'll play on Cemu, it seems much more comfy and I might enjoy it more. idk.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I generally believe that performance is one of the, if not THE most important aspect(s) determining how well a game ages, and Breath of the Wild shows that.

My prime positive examples are Metroid Prime and Haunting Ground
- these games have aged wonderfully from a technical perspective, despite their low resolution they both look, and even more importantly, play great even today, both running at smooth 60fps (Haunting Ground's meticulously directed fixed camera work also helps a lot).
I'm 100% with you when it comes to framerate being important, but Haunting Ground wasn't actually 60fps. That was 30fps. Capcom released a lot of 30fps games during the PS2 era (Shadow of Rome, Onimusha games, RE games). But I'm willing to bet those were all stable 30fps at least.

There is a mod for Haunting Ground which enables 60fps, but last time I checked, it breaks certain parts of the game.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
while i agree that games should pretty much always be hitting 60fps, it is important to remember that the future for most titles is for them to be emulated on more powerful hardware. If those technical shortcomings are erased by that change I dont think the proper terminology would really be ageing badly, considering that thats how most people in the future will play them. Overall the switch is kind of a technical disaster ngl. Most ports of games have increased input delay or struggle to perform well, the base controller that gives the system its handheld appeal breaks for most players, the paid online usually is quite bad and has a ton of delay and most of the playerbase will not be playing wired due to the system requiring a pretty specific kind of usb adapter for ethernet. The switch being a mess is honestly the biggest issue here for me, and thats as someone who thinks its probably the best current gen system to pick up

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess some people think the game being a masterclass in game design / world design make up for it running at a measly 30 fps with occasional drops. The heathens.

I see you did not read the OP or the rest of the thread.
Maybe when its a tv show. Fuck reading, watching is the future.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It looks amazing on CEMU, but ran like a dog on my system. Had a great time just running around and composing nice pictures though.

zothenr

Sep 21, 2018
It's actually quite the opposite. Playing it right now again and I'm shocked how good it holds up. There is a reason it's considered a classic and people still pick it up.
Same than me, I start from beginning after almost 4 year and I'm playing with my 6 years old kid and it's amazing.

A classic game forever

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I'm playing it again for the first time since launch and completely disagree.

The choppy frame rate is my only complaint, but that was equally a problem at launch too. That side, I was really impressed at how well the game aged overall. It still looks and feels great, and the world is as captivating as ever.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Nintendo's art style never gets old. Never.
Can't understand why people wants everything 60fps, 4k.
It's like asking colors and voices and 24fps for movies of the beginning of the 1900.

TheBlade

Banned
Aug 14, 2020
I mean whatever standard anyone has about a game that's fine. If you want graphical and performance excellence you do you.

I think the problem is the call that "Breath of the Wild" has aged badly is probably a very marginal opinion - and that's why OP won't get much support. Heck I see a lot of PS guys (Hasanabi, a PS australian guy I don't remember his name) playing the game today and they find pretty much zero complaints about its performance or graphical department.

I always thought there is such a thing as a "gaming upbringing" in people where they are expecting different things from their games. As a Nintendo guy I always hated huge loading times in old PS games for instance as probably PS guys hated not having a bunch of cinematics on every game.

If anything I am scared to go into 60fps, ray tracing games for fear if I "damage" myself to not enjoy some of the best games of all time like BotW. But then again if that was who I was I think I would already just be a straight PS guy.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The only areas I can really recall it getting truly choppy was the lost woods,

sure 60fps wouldve been better but its not like Zelda's combat is particularly anything to write home about anyway?
I never once felt30fps held the game back.
The path to Zora's Domain ran so badly that it caused the worst motion sickness that I've experienced all generation - and possibly ever, from a non-VR game.
I completely quit playing the game for over a year when I got to that point, as it's also a longer sequence to get through.

Can't understand why people wants everything 60fps
Because anything less is terrible and can literally ruin an entire day for me.
It's not a minor technical detail that would never have been noticed if it were not for Digital Foundry, as some here like to claim.

Jun 2, 2019
If anything I am scared to go into 60fps, ray tracing games for fear if I "damage" myself to not enjoy some of the best games of all time like BotW.

Oh, as a Nintendo guy with a Raytracing capable PC let me tell you that no, that wont happen. You'll be impressed, but you'll have no issues jumping between your Switch and your 144Hz, RT capable machine.

It's a wonderful feeling, actually.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean whatever standard anyone has about a game that's fine. If you want graphical and performance excellence you do you.

I think the problem is the call that "Breath of the Wild" has aged badly is probably a very marginal opinion - and that's why OP won't get much support. Heck I see a lot of PS guys (Hasanabi, a PS australian guy I don't remember his name) playing the game today and they find pretty much zero complaints about its performance or graphical department.

I always thought there is such a thing as a "gaming upbringing" in people where they are expecting different things from their games. As a Nintendo guy I always hated huge loading times in old PS games for instance as probably PS guys hated not having a bunch of cinematics on every game.

If anything I am scared to go into 60fps, ray tracing games for fear if I "damage" myself to not enjoy some of the best games of all time like BotW. But then again if that was who I was I think I would already just be a straight PS guy.
A good game is a good game. You can play a shit game in 8k raytraced at 144fps and it will still be a shit game.
Horizon Zero Dawn came out a week before Breath of the wild, and while the the former was much more advanced and prettier, the latter gave me 250+ hours oh gameplay while I barely touched Horizon because it was so freaking boring.
So resolutions/frame rates, you can always adjust and have fun.
Hell, playing Ocarina of Time, a game from 1998 is still a delight. Textures look like ass, models are super low poly, game runs at like 20fps... and still beats a lot of modern games released today.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not bothered by how it looks or runs. I do think it's the most boring Zelda to replay though. Once the wow factor of the world is gone almost everything is is better in past Zelda games IMO.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it looked and ran pretty poor at the time and I only use my Switch when docked. I vastly prefer The Windwaker's artstyle though, so I am biased.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, unintuitive control scheme and button layout, annoying mechanics like the rain and the durability, the size of the joycons..

The game never felt good to play to begin with.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
60fps is the new Master Race bullshit snobbery in gaming.
At least Sony is snobbish about it as well, as shown by the performance option integrated into PS5's system settings:
Not saying this fully applies to OP, but thanks to this option below being a next gen standard, a lot of people who claimed to have never noticed 30fps(or sub 30fps) being an issue are now being awakened to the fact that 30fps is kind of an issue:

20201223151702-1200x675.jpg

So going back to 30fps games, for those who are now used to this new luxury on console, suddenly feels terrible to them now.

Do you own a Series X or PS5 yet?

Literally unplayable as of now. A bargain binner forgotten entirely by 2023. The permanent stain.
Not technically unplayable but definitely not as playable as Demons Souls with crisp image quality at smooth 60fps for example. If 25-30fps were so fantastically playable we wouldn't see options like the above.

What there's a difference between is preferring 60 fps and all the "literally unplayable" horseshit. Especially calling one of the games of the generation bad over just that.
I did not call BotW "bad". In the OP I said I enjoyed it and praised its world and gameplay design, including the breakable equipment.

At the same time I think the game has already aged badly due to its technical shortcomings, like the following two users describe:
I find this to increasingly be the case with switch games in general. In docked, on a 55 inch TV, they just don't hold up. It was less of a problem for me before I had a large/decent TV.

I view it mostly as a handheld system because most games, when docked, are vom inducing. 720p seems to be common. It's not pretty.
Switch performance is getting harder and harder to apologize for. Nintendo has nailed it with things like Odyssey, Smash, etc., but some of their titles also run surprisingly poor. This game does not look or feel good on my 4K TV, and I'm even more salty about Link's Awakening. Third parties and indies are even worse of course. There are so many indie games I've had to double dip on because of bad performance on Switch. Cross Code, Bloodstained, etc. I am not a hater, I would give a kidney for a Switch Pro at this point, but I've put my Switch away until I can get one.

"new" lol where have you been. And it's like that for a damn good reason. Yeah yeah yeah, 30fps 'works' and gets the job done and ya get used to it etc etc but it's literally just an undeniable fact that 60fps takes a game to a whole new level. The feel is just so much better it's not even funny. It can't be overexaggerated enough.
Thank you.

Nintendo's art style never gets old. Never.
Can't understand why people wants everything 60fps, 4k.
It's like asking colors and voices and 24fps for movies of the beginning of the 1900.
Art style doesn't get old, but low resolution and framerate does.

You can pick two:

Portable form factor
Cheap price
High power

That is the reality of the platform. To become the inordinately successful platform that it is, Switch is the first two. They've not got it wrong. Once you have realised what the platform is, why it is, your standards are set appropriately. By the standards of a mass market portable console, the Switch is incredible hardware with amazing games. By the standards of an unfathomably huge monster console that costs £450, it is less impressive.

But that is like wondering why a tablet laptop is less powerful than a large tower and then being confused and then outraged.
No 300 bucks console should run 60 bucks games as poorly as Fire Emblem or Age of Calamity in 2021.

Oh yes, I couldn't stand Playstation's load times either. Somewhat ironic how it's the opposite now. Loading your save game for open world New York City in PS5's Spiderman takes around 4 seconds. That's the time it takes just to change rooms in Animal Crossing.

You're even contradicting yourself, if you knew about 60fps since the SNES then shouldn't you have thought BotW was bad from day 1? Yet you somehow put in over 200 hours into it? Mind explaining that to me?
I just booted the game up after a while and noticed how badly it looks and runs. That's all.

And yes, if Karl Benz had thought "Horses are good enough, they technically work" we probably wouldn't have cars today.
If phone developers like Apple had thought "Flip phones are good enough" we wouldn't have smartphones today.
If game developers thought "30fps are good enough" we wouldn't get options like the following today:

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
At least Sony is snobbish about it as well, as shown by the performance option integrated into PS5's system settings:
Not technically unplayable but definitely not as playable as Demons Souls with crisp image quality at smooth 60fps for example. If 25-30fps were so fantastically playable we wouldn't see options like the above.
No 300 bucks console should run 60 bucks games as poorly as it does with Fire Emblem or Age of Calamity in 2021.
Oh yes, I couldn't stand Playstation's load times either. Somewhat ironic how it's the opposite now. Loading your save game for open world New York City in PS5's Spiderman takes around 4 seconds. That's the time it takes just to change rooms in Animal Crossing.

So... This is basically a console warring thread due to you having seen the light now that you have a PS5

I mean, i already guessed this thanks to the spoiler at the end of the OP, but thanks for the confirmation.

Also, what are form factors.

TheBlade

Banned
Aug 14, 2020
And yes, if Karl Benz had thought "Horses are good enough, they technically work" we probably wouldn't have cars today.

Again, not meaning to disregard your opinions, but that quote is actually exactly counter to wanting better graphics.
In the startup world we refer to that quote as not doing what the market demands but actually innovate and think ahead of the market.

Which basically means if you ask people now they'll want more of the same ie they will ask bigger this, better that, whereas nintendo is trying to invent "cars" instead of a faster horse.

Moving fps up is not innovation is just the way we currently expect technology to move forward. Innovation is building a car instead of a horse.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone mentioned Bloodstained. It's *so* ugly on Switch. It's ugly/murky/blurry to the point I'm not sure it's acceptable as a retail product. This is often the case with Switch games though. We need a Switch Pro/2/whatever.

Jun 6, 2018
To me the game hasn't really aged at all yet. If you play it on CEMU you can have it looking glorious but performance woes aside the gameplay it delivers is still unmatched

Jun 2, 2019
Someone mentioned Bloodstained. It's *so* ugly on Switch. It's ugly/murky/blurry to the point I'm not sure it's acceptable as a retail product. This is often the case with Switch games though. We need a Switch Pro/2/whatever.

I'm not sure Bloodstained is a game that can be used as a metric at all. It feels like an aufully unoptimized game on any platform, and it shows when ported on Switch.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is WAY more applicable to Nintendo going for a hybrid console instead of chasing raw power.

I like the PS5 just fine, but it's very much a faster horse, as Benz might put it.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
Yeah we get it, you prefer the PS5 because you can play at 60 fps, sure dude.

As someone who has both consoles, you gotta (or should?) learn to enjoy both in their own way (exclusives, portability options, dualsense features and so on)

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
The horse to cars comparison would work if Nintendo weren't so consistently influential in the industry.

It's like demanding the fastest cars possible to be an industry standard when the vast majority of motor consumers aren't looking for speed, they just want a car that works for them.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Again, not meaning to disregard your opinions, but that quote is actually exactly counter to wanting better graphics.
In the startup world we refer to that quote as not doing what the market demands but actually innovate and think ahead of the market.

Which basically means if you ask people now they'll want more of the same ie they will ask bigger this, better that, whereas nintendo is trying to invent "cars" instead of a faster horse.

Moving fps up is not innovation is just the way we currently expect technology to move forward. Innovation is building a car instead of a horse.
Exactly, moving fps up shouldn't be considered innovation. It should be considered baseline. 360p isn't the baseline anymore. 25-30fps shouldn't be the baseline anymore.

So... This is basically a console warring thread due to you having seen the light now that you have a PS5

I mean, i already guessed this thanks to the spoiler at the end of the OP, but thanks for the confirmation.

Also, what are form factors.

Not sure what you are reading into this, but I think I have made my point clear enough:

No 300 bucks console should run 60 bucks games as poorly as Fire Emblem or Age of Calamity in 2021.
I did not call BotW "bad". In the OP I said I enjoyed it and praised its world and gameplay design, including the breakable equipment.

At the same time I think the game has already aged badly due to its technical shortcomings, like the following two users describe:
I find this to increasingly be the case with switch games in general. In docked, on a 55 inch TV, they just don't hold up. It was less of a problem for me before I had a large/decent TV.

I view it mostly as a handheld system because most games, when docked, are vom inducing. 720p seems to be common. It's not pretty.
Switch performance is getting harder and harder to apologize for. Nintendo has nailed it with things like Odyssey, Smash, etc., but some of their titles also run surprisingly poor. This game does not look or feel good on my 4K TV, and I'm even more salty about Link's Awakening. Third parties and indies are even worse of course. There are so many indie games I've had to double dip on because of bad performance on Switch. Cross Code, Bloodstained, etc. I am not a hater, I would give a kidney for a Switch Pro at this point, but I've put my Switch away until I can get one.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
It's 2021, the latest system to play Nintendo games on is the Switch. It costs 300 bucks, a game like Age of Calamity costs 60 bucks, and what you get is performance somewhere between 20-30fps. Why would anyone defend this.

What i get from this is that you don't seem to understand basic concepts like TDP or form factors, you want 140w performance from a 10w tablet, that's delusional, and i can only think that you're asking that either out of sheer ignorance or just trolling

Let this sink in: Switch's average power consumption is the same as the PS4 in stand-by

I mean, i can't believe i'm using this picture in 20 fucking 21

3199076-img_8820.jpg

You're asking 60 fps on Breath of the Wild and Age of Calamity in a machine that small, take your time to think about it.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
What i get from this is that you don't seem to understand basic concepts like TDP or form factors, you want 140w performance from a 10w tablet, that's delusional, and i can only think that you're asking that either out of sheer ignorance or just trolling

I mean, i can't believe i'm using this picture in 20 fucking 21

3199076-img_8820.jpg

You're asking 60 fps on Breath of the Wild and Age of Calamity in a machine that small, take your time to think about it.