• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I thought this thread was going to be about its mechanics and open world design. The IQ and frame rate was never particularly good even in 2017, I don't see how you played it then for 200 hours but now it's suddenly awful. It was bad back then and nothing has changed. By that logic most stuff on consoles doesn't age well, it's not a BOTW thing.

Deleted member 84505

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2020
I only play on a TV (hate handheld gaming) and I just couldn't finished Zelda. The art style is nice, but it is low resolution, has no anti aliasing whatsoever and has a horrible, washed out look. It's just unpleasant to look at for me. It also doesn't perform well.

It's why I basically don't play my Switch anymore, nothing really looks good on it when you start playing on a TV and nothing runs very well either.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a big Zelda fan I put over 200 hours into Breath of the Wild and thoroughly enjoyed it, including its Add-Ons. The last time I played it was 1-2 years ago.
For you. Not for me. Hence this topic.
We're all on the same side, folks. I play games for 30 years and just want my games to run and play as best as possible, and games with good performance play better than games with bad performance, simple as that. If some day in the future 60fps will be the gold standard for game development we will all benefit from it, because all games will play better across the board.
I like my games smooth because I care about gameplay first and foremost. I played smooth 60fps games on SNES in 1995. Now it's 2021, big games like Zelda run at 25-30fps and I should be ok with it? Why?

Have you played Age of Calamity in Coop mode? If I had to guess I would say it runs between 15-20fps. A Switch costs you 300 bucks. Yes, bad performance does hurt my enjoyment of a game and I expect more for that kind of money.

So... you played BOTW for over 200j just 1-2 years ago and didn't had any problems then but now you have?
You're a big Zelda-Fan but don't seem to realize that every 3D Zelda has been 30fps at best?
You are comparing a time where something like proper physics weren't a thing on such a console and where entire games slowed down with high sprite count to games running on a mobile platform where you can actuall play homeconsole games on the get go in HD resolution? A game with lots of physics calculations and an open field that demands much more from and hardware compared to something closed and linear?
You do know that creating a chip with such low power consumption and that small form factor costs more than just bog standard part in a box, do you?
And you do understand how games at least in bascis work? AI, Physics, Drawcalls etc etc.?

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I have to disagree. I've had this game since launch but never played it until January. I started and finished the game last month. The visuals never bothered me and outside of some low level assets I was impressed. At some locations in the game it can hang but overall the experience was awesome.

The main thing I hated about this game was the horrendous weapon system with your gear breaking. I don't know who thought that shit was a good idea but it was not. It was tedious and unnecessary. If they wanted to go that route just level the weapons to your character as Link progresses. Hell they could have even made it so you do x-amount of damage based on how many hearts/shrines you had completed and I would have been okay with that. Hopefully the sequel fixes that.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is pretty much what I was going to say. I definitely appreciate and usually prefer 60fps where and when I can get it, but not having it certainly doesn't prevent me from enjoying a game or appreciating its other merits and man, I am so thankful for that. Being unable to enjoy or appreciate anything that runs below 60fps seems like such a sad way to live where video games are concerned, but that is of course OP's prerogative.

Performance matters, but not that much, and BotW is an incredible game despite its performance issues (which have been smoothed out to a mostly stable 29-30fps with patches anyway).

I will say that for me, there is one general exception to the above: rhythm games. Because of the genre's nature I typically do need those to be 60fps for me to be able to enjoy them, but I also fully admit that's because I'm pretty hardcore about them and a bit of a rhythm game snob. That's not going to apply to everyone, nor should it!
I agree with everything you said!

As for the exceptions, everyone has them depending on the genres they like, if they're a competitive player... I personally don't care for shooters and don't particularly care about their performance, but many want them in 60 fps or higher for a better experience, specially those that play at pro levels, and it's fine! We can all play as we want.

The issue with the thread is that OP acting like BotW is suddenly unplayable when for the majority it is a fine game, performance hiccups included. I do wonder if he's relatively young, because otherwise I don't understand how he played during the PS1/N64 gen. There are a lot of N64 games I like, and I couldn't imagine passing them up just because of the framerate.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
wait is the switch version not 1080p?
It's 900p or less if I'm not mistaken.

So... you played BOTW for over 200j just 1-2 years ago and didn't had any problems then but now you have?
You're a big Zelda-Fan but don't seem to realize that every 3D Zelda has been 30fps at best?
You are comparing a time where something like proper physics weren't a thing on such a console and where entire games slowed down with high sprite count to games running on a mobile platform where you can actuall play homeconsole games on the get go in HD resolution? A game with lots of physics calculations and an open field that demands much more from and hardware compared to something closed and linear?
You do know that creating a chip with such low power consumption and that small form factor costs more than just bog standard part in a box, do you?
And you do understand how games at least in bascis work? AI, Physics, Drawcalls etc etc.?
Yes, I'm a big Zelda fan and I enjoyed BotW but I also think it has already aged badly due to reasons this user explained better than me:
I only play on a TV (hate handheld gaming) and I just couldn't finished Zelda. The art style is nice, but it is low resolution, has no anti aliasing whatsoever and has a horrible, washed out look. It's just unpleasant to look at for me. It also doesn't perform well.

It's why I basically don't play my Switch anymore, nothing really looks good on it when you start playing on a TV and nothing runs very well either.

Deleted member 75954

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 24, 2020
You know, I could understand complaining about the framerate in action game like Zelda

But... fuckin' Fire Emblem? A tactical RPG played mostly in bird's eye view? Absolutely braindead take.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
James Bond was released with 24 fps though so we might as well throw it in the trash. Along with every other movie except The Hobbit 48 fps Edition.

Nov 17, 2017
Honestly I don't think most people who play video games care about super high frame rate or resolution as much as big gaming enthusiasts do. I understand it doesn't perform at the level of the AAA PlayStation and Xbox games but it's good enough I feel. I never really noticed frame rate or resolution issues. Well, that's not true, I noticed the frame rate drops in Korok Forest but frame drops like that never have been enough to stop me from enjoying a game.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
honestly can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps, as long as it isn't a slideshow I'm happy :3

but yeah no the artstyle pushes it above many newer games in the "look's department".

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild has a great sense of exploration and artistically it is quite good. Everything else is underwhelming though, it was okay then and remains okay now.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I thought this thread was going to be about its mechanics and open world design. The IQ and frame rate was never particularly good even in 2017, I don't see how you played it then for 200 hours but now it's suddenly awful.

Not saying this fully applies to OP, but thanks to this option below being a next gen standard, a lot of people who claimed to have never noticed 30fps(or sub 30fps) being an issue are now being awakened to the fact that 30fps is kind of an issue:

20201223151702-1200x675.jpg

So going back to 30fps games, for those who are now used to this new luxury on console, suddenly feels terrible to them now.

honestly can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps, as long as it isn't a slideshow I'm happy :3

but yeah no the artstyle pushes it above many newer games in the "look's department".

Do you own a Series X or PS5 yet?

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Switch performance is getting harder and harder to apologize for. Nintendo has nailed it with things like Odyssey, Smash, etc., but some of their titles also run surprisingly poor. This game does not look or feel good on my 4K TV, and I'm even more salty about Link's Awakening. Third parties and indies are even worse of course. There are so many indie games I've had to double dip on because of bad performance on Switch. Cross Code, Bloodstained, etc. I am not a hater, I would give a kidney for a Switch Pro at this point, but I've put my Switch away until I can get one.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I realize it's personal preference, but self-imposed mental slavery to framerate above all else is a recipe for perpetual life disappointment. If one of arguably the greatest games of all time has aged poorly solely because of a lower framerate than preferred, the world is full of nothing but pain for you.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Link's Awakening is far more egregious when it comes to performance, there's so much slowdown in it. Great game tho, hope the Switch Pro runs it properly.

How the heck did some of you manage to play games at all before the 2010s?

That was the best time to play games. So many PS2 games ran at 60, what a generation.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
60fps is the new Master Race bullshit snobbery in gaming.
"new" lol where have you been. And it's like that for a damn good reason. Yeah yeah yeah, 30fps 'works' and gets the job done and ya get used to it etc etc but it's literally just an undeniable fact that 60fps takes a game to a whole new level. The feel is just so much better it's not even funny. It can't be overexaggerated enough.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between the two. Let's not condemn a good and healthy standard for video games.

What there's a difference between is preferring 60 fps and all the "literally unplayable" horseshit. Especially calling one of the games of the generation bad over just that.

Or saying that a first-of-its-kind hybrid console using pretty much the best portable tech available at the time is "unforgivable" or any of that ridiculousness.

"new" lol where have you been. And it's like that for a damn good reason. Yeah yeah yeah, 30fps 'works' and gets the job done and ya get used to it etc etc but it's literally just an undeniable fact that 60fps takes a game to a whole new level. The feel is just so much better it's not even funny. It can't be overexaggerated enough.

I assure you it can.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
What there's a difference between is preferring 60 fps and all the "literally unplayable" horseshit. Especially calling one of the games of the generation bad over just that.

Or saying that a first-of-its-kind hybrid console using pretty much the best portable tech available at the time is "unforgivable" or any of that ridiculousness.

Hyperbole is going to exist on this forum as barely anyone here says something is 'just okay'. You'll always see threads of 'absolute greatness' or 'pure trash' and nothing in between.

Regardless they're just wanting to enjoy the best experience out of a great game, you can't fault them for that. The game has it's dips under 30 which unfortunately isn't great.

No, I have a PC. Actually I just got Nier Automata and Yakuza 0 on sale so i'm looking forward to playing those!

If you ever get a chance to play on either one, with either Miles Morales or Demon's Souls or the Ubisoft games, try switching back and forth between Performance and Fidelity modes. Everyone who claimed they couldn't tell the difference instantly saw and felt the difference when doing so. I have a feeling you will too.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I know, comparisons between Immortals and BotW are stale since the former basically copied the latter. But my god is Immortals a blast to play compared to BotW. It runs so well and the combat has so much more depth. Everything also feels so much more intuitive. Riding your mounts, pressing buttons, traversing etc. are much more fluid and responsive IMO. BotW takes much credit for setting the base for Immortals though, but I agree with the OP that playing with frame-drops in almost every battle is not fun.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

For real, is this really the hill you all want to die on? 60 fps?

Do you all understand how absurd you all sound?

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
If you ever get a chance to play on either one, with either Miles Morales or Demon's Souls or the Ubisoft games, try switching back and forth between Performance and Fidelity modes. Everyone who claimed they couldn't tell the difference instantly saw and felt the difference when doing so. I have a feeling you will too.
I tried with GoW, I think it's pretty but i don't really care that much? idk, maybe I'm just used to bad looking games from 2000 or so. but I do have to say mile's Morales (sans faces, realistic faces in games scare me a lot) from what I've seen look's pretty nice

I think my personal favorite game to look at is luigi's mansion 3, it look's.. SOooooooooo good!!! NLG's really did an amazing Job.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find this to increasingly be the case with switch games in general. In docked, on a 55 inch TV, they just don't hold up. It was less of a problem for me before I had a large/decent TV.

I view it mostly as a handheld system because most games, when docked, are vom inducing. 720p seems to be common. It's not pretty.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Hm, I returned to it a few months ago for the DLC and don't agree. If anything, after playing other games of similar scale like Xenoblade, Witcher, FE, I was shocked at how clean the game looked. A vast majority of other major scale Switch games (almost everything not produced by an EPD team at Nintendo but a few exceptions) have terrible resolutions and are just constantly blurry af. BotW seems to be the odd one out in that regard. Frame rate can take hits in certain areas, but it generally hits the 30 mark a lot of the time. Game doesn't look awful at all, even in handheld. I'd say it's still one of the most impressive Switch games at this point.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Every modern game that fails to hit a 60fps merits big criticism.

No excuses.
So let's go back to 2020

Let's see

Last of Us 2 - 30fps
Ghost of Tsushima - less than stable 30fps on base PS4 you know open world game like BOTW.
Final Fantasy VII Remake - 30fps
+
Other older games like
Driveclub - 30fps
Bloodborne - less than stable 30fps, long loading times, frame pacing issues
GOW - 30fps

But for some reason I don't see same amount of complaining.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not saying this fully applies to OP, but thanks to this option below being a next gen standard, a lot of people who claimed to have never noticed 30fps(or sub 30fps) being an issue are now being awakened to the fact that 30fps is kind of an issue:

20201223151702-1200x675.jpg

So going back to 30fps games, for those who are now used to this new luxury on console, suddenly feels terrible to them now.

Do you own a Series X or PS5 yet?
I don't get this. Not like I went blind playing BotW after playing Devil May Cry 3 or something.

Going between 60fps and 30fps games is not some new experience. Can you also not watch any movie made before the year 2000?

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
As things are now with hardware,bif you get a portable windows device and put yuzu and cemu inside, you can play Zelda and other games at even better performance than an actual Switch?

So let's go back to 2020

Let's see

Last of Us 2 - 30fps
Ghost of Tsushima - less than stable 30fps on base PS4 you know open world game like BOTW.
+
Other older games like
Driveclub - 30fps
GOW - 30fps

Dont try to mess with enraged fans

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I tried with GoW, I think it's pretty but i don't really care that much? idk, maybe I'm just used to bad looking games from 2000 or so. but I do have to say mile's Morales (sans faces, realistic faces in games scare me a lot) from what I've seen look's pretty nice

I think my personal favorite game to look at is luigi's mansion 3, it look's.. SOooooooooo good!!! NLG's really did an amazing Job.

My apologies I meant experiencing that more when it comes to framerate, not visuals. With framerate you'll notice the difference.

Going between 60fps and 30fps games is not some new experience. Can you also not watch any movie made before the year 2000?

For a lot of people here and a lot of the public, it IS a new experience. There was literally a thread on this very forum about a month after the PS5 came out full of people saying they're now spoiled by performance mode and finally understand the difference. They simply couldn't tell beforehand. I honestly feel it's because now you can switch back and forth between the modes quickly instead of the framerate being on a per-game basis like generations before. I know this sounds crazy but all of this actually happened.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. I deny the fact that 60fps take a game to "a whole new level". It feels smoother to play but it doesnt really change anything about the game. I have no problem playing a 30fps game and I'm never thinking "gee, I sure wish this was 60fps" if given the option I tend to choose resolution mode over performance (Mile's Morales is a great example).

The hyperbole thats developed around 60fps or bust is crazy to me. If that's what it takes for you to enjoy a game then by all means but people really need to.. chill.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
So let's go back to 2020

Let's see

Last of Us 2 - 30fps
+
Other older games like
Driveclub - 30fps
GOW - 30fps

👆👆👆

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to respond with just "lol" because it's so obvious how wrong and fruitless this mindset is, but just in case this isn't a troll...

Demanding certain frame rates and resolutions regardless of context is a fool's errand. Even taken as a fundamentalist, holier than thou mindset it still falls flat on its face, and it isn't worth the time and effort you are clearly putting into it.

Because that's just not the way the world works. Never has. In any way. With anything. Everything is a balancing act. The switch and BotW are what they are for several reasons dating back to even before the Wii U existed. I don't think I need to run through Nintendo's entire history for you to understand how it might be a bad idea for them to make the switch significantly more expensive just to hit 60fps in Zelda, right?

Basically, have all the preferences you want, but understand that you aren't fighting the good fight you think you are.
You telling me cramming better GPU and CPU + a far larger battery to compensate for the power drain + a bulkier design for cooling + a significanly higher pirce point just to be able to run a game at 60fps is a bad idea for a handheld/console hybrid?? SurprisedPikachu.jpeg

In all honestly this post is very.. weird. Playing a game for 200hrs and enjoying it.. then suddenly not because its 30fps (sub 30 in very minor cases) is kind of bizarre. Especially when you take into consideration that the PS4 and XBONE games for the vast majority are also 30fps.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My apologies I meant experiencing that more when it comes to framerate, not visuals. With framerate you'll notice the difference.

For a lot of people here and a lot of the public, it IS a new experience. There was literally a thread on this very forum about a month after the PS5 came out full of people saying they're now spoiled by performance mode and finally understand the difference. They simply couldn't tell beforehand. I honestly feel it's because now you can switch back and forth between the modes quickly instead of the framerate being on a per-game basis like generations before. I know this sounds crazy but all of this actually happened.
I guess I don't get how you can switch between 60 and 30 games your entire life but suddenly when a game gives you the option you go "oh my god this game I loved is now trash and anything less then 60 is garbage and shouldn't exist!"

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I guess I don't get how you can switch between 60 and 30 games your entire life but suddenly when a game gives you the option you go "oh my god this game I loved is now trash and anything less then 60 is garbage and shouldn't exist!"

Because you couldn't do it within the same game, until now. And for those people who've now had the curtain pulled back before their eyes, they don't want to go back.

To be honest I'm somewhat baffled along with you but it's definitely interesting to witness how one method has a much larger effect on the public than the other.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Regret buying a Wii U for Zelda honestly. People complaining about Switch versions performance don't even know.
Wii U felt like it was gonna melt during certain towns.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
BOTW runs and performs just fine, and I find it more visually pleasing than any PS5 game released so far. Frame rate does not effect how I feel on a game, and I never noticed any issues with it in BOTW. And the art style is very pleasing, and I'll take a great aesthetic over 60fps every day.

Now if I could get BOTW in 4k, that'd be nice, but it doesn't make me think negatively on it with it not being in 4K.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
For a game like BOTW, I'm not too picky on the performance being 60fps, so I don't really care about that at all. I think the art style also does a good job at hiding the not so sharp details in some of the environments. I'd wager this was an intentional design choice on the developers part.

I think BOTW is fine. Sure, it could be better, but I don't see Nintendo rushing to make performance for a game like Zelda a top priority.

Now for fighting games, that's a different story, and poor performance is just not acceptable. Thankfully this isn't a fighting game, so I'm ok with letting it slide.