• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what else there is to discuss except it does the bare minimum and is not as good as Microsoft.

Done.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I'm glad stores here don't think like you.
Where is "here"? I also don't know of any place that accepts refunds of entertainment products because you just "didn't like them".

Imaging buying a movie and returning it because you watched 20 minutes and didnt like it.

Or returning a record because you listened to 3 songs and didn't like them.

Where in the world do things like this happen?

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
AFAIK Sony's refund policy has consistently been the bare minimum the law requires, though I think they recently adopted the EU standards in NA (14 days if not downloaded), which is some improvement, though not as good as Steam or others.

If a game drops in price before launch, as has happened before, Sony won't lower the price for you. The price you pay is what you paid at the time of the transaction, although you should be eligible for a refund but that's more hoops to jump through to get the current price.

I remember trying to get a refund once on something I had never downloaded, because a few months later it was cheaper. I know I was hopeful, but I figured it had never been downloaded so no harm in asking. The Sony rep claimed I couldn't get a refund because the game was in progress, that I had been playing it, which was a lie. So I tried again with a different rep. No result either. Days later when trying to contact support about something else I found I was locked out of their customer support. An error page would come up saying the site was having difficulties and try again later, but there were no difficulties, that was their own stealth lockout. Logging in with a fictional psn name worked no problems.

All that said, good luck expecting a refund at most stores after three hours played.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
support gave me a refund on siege after I found the difficulty curve to be a little much

they stressed that it was a one time gesture and they only did it because I had low play time

this shit needs to be regulated but after the EU ruled in Nintendo's favor on pre-orders it's gonna be hard to break that precedent
I've gotten 3 refunds from them over the course of this gen and they say that everytime lol

All 3 were downloaded and played.
Not sure what else there is to discuss except it does the bare minimum and is not as good as Microsoft.

Done.
Microsoft refused to refund my purchase of a broken game so it's not always good. I think all of them can be hit or miss depending on who you get to help you.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No digital platform will refund you after playing three hours. Thats a long time.
correct me if im wrong of course.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

Done.
I tried to get a refund of a game I bought and only downloaded on Xbox One last year, but their automated system was broken and couldn't tell whether I had played it or not and their CS refused to do a refund when I tried the manual approach. It didn't seem like a good system at all.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get a refund of a game I bought and only downloaded on Xbox One last year, but their automated system was broken and couldn't tell whether I had played it or not and their CS refused to do a refund when I tried the manual approach. It didn't seem like a good system at all.
Interesting, I've been conditioned by this place that MS refund system is the best. I've been awarded a refund by Sony too.

Getting refunds is not always easy or guaranteed.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
PlayStation lags behind Xbox in literally every aspect except for first-party exclusive games. Unfortunately for Microsoft that's the single most important thing for a platform to have.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
They should fix this policy, it's one of the main reasons for me not to try more games, I'm always afraid of wasting money. My whole library is digital, I can't afford a ban.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation lags behind Xbox in literally every aspect except for first-party exclusive games. Unfortunately for Microsoft that's the single most important thing for a platform to have.
Strange (and wrong) take but Sony's policy is truly awful. I at one point accidentally bought the wrong version of a game and they would not refund me even though I had already also purchased the correct version.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting, I've been conditioned by this place that MS refund system is the best. I've been awarded a refund by Sony too.

That's what I was expecting from all of the talk about it, but it was overly complicated, buggy, and more of a hassle than it should be. I hope everybody gets a refund system that is user friendly and clear as to how it works.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Wrong in many ways and they also have the exact same refund policy. There are some people part of a program that get refunds on Xbox but for the large majority of people it is the same as Playstation.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Steams return policy is KING

I used up my "one time good gesture" (LOL) PSN refund, makes me less likely to invest in a PS5.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
This is why digital only on consoles are trash and I ignore anyone who brings it up. I buy physical and I can easily return it without hassle. Fuck Sony

Agreed. Even if you can't return the game to whoever you bought it from, you can at least sell it on eBay or something and get some of your money back. You could argue that PC is primarily digital at this point, and that's true, but the Steam refund policy is more forgiving (and automated) than Sony's.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Xbox only has it for certain people part of a program, not everyone.
You're talking about the self-service refund program, which I think was actually discontinued.

Checking online, it looks like the policy was updated to be a bit more vague than before and seems to be a judgment call on Microsoft's part. Still, better than Sony who don't allow refunds for digital games after download per policy.

I had to refund Trials DLC a kid accidentally purchased on my account this year and it was a painless process.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It really is the worst. Xbox has a really easy to use online platform, PS I need to spend an hour talking with some rep who may or may not say yes. It's actually the worst.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I've never had a problem with it. But then again, I've never accidentally bought a game and played it for three hours, so there's that.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
You're talking about the self-service refund program, which I think was actually discontinued.

Checking online, it looks like the policy was updated to be a bit more vague than before and seems to be a judgment call on Microsoft's part. Still, better than Sony who don't allow refunds for digital games after download per policy.

I had to refund Trials DLC a kid accidentally purchased on my account this year and it was a painless process.

You are just as likely to get a refund from PSN as you are from Xbox. I have refunded accidental purchases from PSN with absolutely no issues.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I can get a refund for a change of mind at EB Games anytime within 2 weeks even if I played 50 hours. Yet for the same game on PSN (at full RRP) I would be screwed
wtf? At least in the US, you cannot open a game and return it for your money back. I don't see why it should be different for online services. MAYBE a 1-2 hour grace period like Steam is good, especially for PC games where you don't know how your computer will handle it.

Deleted member 64503

Banned
Mar 13, 2020
3 hours though come on imagine going to the theater after 20 min going nope I want my money back.
Last month my 5 year old accidentally purchased 2 games and normally I delete my credit card, did sony chat support had a refund in a hour even after they downloaded due to auto download

Edit- I have had my psn account for 12 years now first time that has happened, I could definitely see sony getting annoyed if it's a constant thing.
I think its funny this place always talks about how developers work too hard yet we want returns after hours of gameplay they busted their ass making

Last edited:

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's complete trash.

I've been registered to PSN since day one. Having spent thousands since, I've asked for one refund in that entire time, for Crash Team Racing last year, and was denied.

A few months ago, I accidentally purchased a Game Pass game on XBL and was able to easily get a refund by submitting a request. Same with Steam, EGS, etc.

I love Sony, but they need to implement a better system.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
They should maybe allow a 1 hour window for refunds, or at bare minimum downloaded but not played. OP is a bit entitled though.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
PSN has a bad refund policy but OP's playtime is longer than what Xbox and Steam allows as well.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Microsoft announced a Steam-like refund policy a few years ago, but this thread isn't the first time I've read of people being denied a refund on XBL despite their situation being within the parameters of the policy, so I don't think it was implemented globally, just in countries with stricter consumer protection laws. I live in Australia, and I've successfully refunded both an accidental purchase (I bought Titanfall 2 for my own account instead of a gift code) and an accidental XBLG subscription (I signed up to the $1 trial to take advantage of the Gold-exclusive discount on Titanfall 2 and forgot to cancel) without issue.

Last edited:

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I've gotten 2 refunds this past month alone on Xbox with zero issues, so I guess I have some good luck.

Both games were way under 3 hours of playtime though, OP. That's a bit much.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't have a problem with their refund policy. I think it's stupid when someone just buys a game, tries it out, and they don't like it, then ask for a refund. Do your research, buy the game, enjoy it or not.

I've refunded Destiny 2. I bought the game by accident because I checked out instead of continuing to shop and finalize my decision. I didn't download it. I asked for a refund and Sony obliged. I didn't think they would, but they did. Their policy seems fine with me.
Why argue against consumers best interests

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
3 hours is really pushing it but yeah the PlayStation store sucks
You couldn't even get a refund for pre orders before release in the US until recently

One of many reasons I don't buy digitally on PSN

Yeah I'm trying to stop doing it
I love the convenience of digital but PSN is bullshit
Especially with all the uncertainty around games carrying over to PS5 and managing DLC/ updates like with Modern Warfare

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Microsoft announced a Steam-like refund policy a few years ago, but this thread isn't the first time I've read of people being denied a refund on XBL despite their situation being within the parameters of the policy, so I don't think it was implemented globally, just in countries with stricter consumer protection laws. I live in Australia, and I've successfully refunded both an accidental purchase (I bought Titanfall 2 for my own account instead of a gift code) and an accidental XBLG subscription (I signed up to the $1 trial to take advantage of the Gold-exclusive discount on Titanfall 2 and forgot to cancel) without issue.
That refund policy was only for some people part of a program and never made it out of beta. It is not a available to the large majority of Xbox owners

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Their refund policy is that you can only refund it within 2 weeks of purchase if you didn't download or play it unless the game is straight busted, right?
You can refund it if it goes on sale/plus/now with a week off you buying it too.

You do have to phone customer support though which is a pain.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 hours though come on imagine going to the theater after 20 min going nope I want my money back.
Last month my 5 year old accidentally purchased 2 games and normally I delete my credit card, did sony chat support had a refund in a hour even after they downloaded due to auto download

Edit- I have had my psn account for 12 years now first time that has happened, I could definitely see sony getting annoyed if it's a constant thing.
I think its funny this place always talks about how developers work too hard yet we want returns after hours of gameplay they busted their ass making
Imagine living in a country that has better consumer protection laws

Why argue against consumers best interests
Because who else is going to defend cooperations?

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
The only time I got a refund from Sony was when I accidentally purchased the wrong version of Rainbow Six Siege and asked for a refund so I could purchase the gold edition instead. The customer service person was accommodating and the process was simple but I got the feeling that the only reason I got the refund was because I was gonna spend more money lol

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can get dnied on Steam too, you have to abuse either system pretty heavily
wtf? At least in the US, you cannot open a game and return it for your money back. I don't see why it should be different for online services. MAYBE a 1-2 hour grace period like Steam is good, especially for PC games where you don't know how your computer will handle it.
You absolutely can in the US. There's not a law requiring it, but retailers are generally pretty forgiving about that shit.
Hell, we used to take back graphics cards all the time at Frys, it's just an expectation of retail.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Works as uplay, and i dont see why its bad tbh. I mean, i get the playable time in pc because of different combinations of hardware, but on console the system would be really exploitable.

Lets buy 5 games, download them, set console offline, refund them and still be able to play them.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Oh, of course (to the best of my knowledge, though, Valve has yet to actually blacklist anybody). The intended implication of "despite their situations being within the parameters of the policy" is that the requests were seemingly legitimate and would've been approved if Microsoft had actually adopted the Steamesque refund policy as a general rule.

Edit: I should also mention that, contrary to what Sterling says in his reaction video to Arkane's "Use Steam's refund policy if you want to demo Prey17" comment, you won't be blacklisted solely for liberally using the refund policy to try before you buy.

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

You absolutely can in the US. There's not a law requiring it, but retailers are generally pretty forgiving about that shit.
Hell, we used to take back graphics cards all the time at Frys, it's just an expectation of retail.
Graphics cards are not open box video games. I don't know about frys, but bestbuy, target, etc will not refund you money for an open game. They will exchange for the same game only, sometimes for a different system if you're lucky