• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Fan service x roguelike x MTX seems like an extra potent combo for whale hunting.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Good this is not going to be a shooter.
I didn't see much of the "living, breathing" open world they said this had though.
I'm not a fan of the futuristic 80s/90s setting this is going for, but I love the variety of character designs. Look at that bear! Wish they had that variety in Genshin. :(

I've watched this like 10 times now, whoever edited this trailer is really fucking good at their job.

Hoyoverse are among the best in the biz in this regard. Have you seen the Genshin trailers?

Jetsun Mila

User requested ban
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
Could be interesting, some character designs are good, some are like Genshins' mild fanservice stuff - realtively well-dressed but still some definite elements of it, and of course lots of jiggling - not a big fan of that. Genshins gameplay was pretty fun so I certainly give this a chance.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
It looks cool and I want to see more, but as with Star Rail if it doesn't come on consoles, well

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
It looks cool and I want to see more, but as with Star Rail if it doesn't come on consoles, well
Fwiw, it looks like only this beta is PC + mobile only, their FAQ says more platforms are planned.

Q: Can I still join the test if I don't have an iOS device or PC?

A: Unfortunately this Tuning Test only supports iOS and PC (Windows). When answering the survey please choose the most suitable device for you to participate in the test. We'll continue to expand the available platforms, so stay tuned! Watch out for further expansions and optimizations coming soon!

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Sinophobia
As usual, Mihoyo delivers lackluster and uninspired character designs.
One of the worst things about Genshin is that the character look like they were designed by a 13-year old with a DeviantArt account whose media consumption consists solely of JRPGs and nothing else.
This looks about the same. Super generic, they should really hire some experienced character designers from Japan or even South Korea, because this stuff looks really cheap.
Or simply try to find good character designers in China, I'm not too familiar with games from China besides Genshin, so I'm not sure if there are good char designers there.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
One of the worst things about Genshin is that the character look like they were designed by a 13-year old with a DeviantArt account whose media consumption consists solely of JRPGs and nothing else.
This looks about the same. Super generic, they should really hire some experienced character designers from Japan or even South Korea, because this stuff looks really cheap.
Or simply try to find good character designers in China, I'm not too familiar with games from China besides Genshin, so I'm not sure if there are good char designers there.
I hate to say you have bad taste but straight up bad taste.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Mobile only?

I'd love to try it out on PS5, looks pretty rad.
Between Star Rail and now this, I really hope Hoyoverse isn't done with releasing their games on consoles. I love playing Genshin on PS5 and I would love to try both this new game and Star Rail on there.

Did we know about Genshin having a PS4 version when they were doing the beta on mobile devices? I really hope after the beta testing they announce the console version of these games as well.

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see much of the "living, breathing" open world they said this had though.
Not this game, we all assumed wrongly this was project X at first. This is different project called N.

Between Star Rail and now this, I really hope Hoyoverse isn't done with releasing their games on consoles. I love playing Genshin on PS5 and I would love to try both this new game and Star Rail on there.
No idea about H and W, but joblisting for Project S, which is done on UE instead of Unity, specifically mentioned of being made for console

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Did we know about Genshin having a PS4 version when they were doing the beta on mobile devices? I really hope after the beta testing they announce the console version of these games as well.
We knew about the PS4 version during August 1, 2019 or earlier, well before any tests.
Heck, we even knew about the Switch port before any of the betas.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
No idea about H and W, but joblisting for Project S, which is done on UE instead of Unity, specifically mentioned of being made for console
I'm... ummm... a little lost lol

It's good that at least they are making one project for consoles then. Do we know anything about this Project S?
We knew about the PS4 version during August 1, 2019 or earlier, well before any tests.
Heck, we even knew about the Switch port before any of the betas.
:(

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
I hate to say you have bad taste but straight up bad taste.

Sure.
But Genshin still has the worst, blandest, and most generic character designs out of any gacha game I've played. (Granblue, E7, Another Eden...)
This game looks like it continues following it down that path.

I won't even start talking about actual JRPGs or char designs in legendary stuff like Capcom games from the 90s.

Mihoyo stuff looks cheap from a char design standpoint, sorry. This game looks like someone played too much Persona and Scarlet Nexus and thought to themselves that they can combine the two into something even cooler and more stylish but just isn't skilled enough to do it.

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
Lost me with the handful of dudes either being furries or a robot and the girls just getting animal ears. More interesting designs than genshin imo but still standard stuff.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
The characters are kinda mixed bag although i'd say the vast majority looks good considering the type of art style they are going for, but the enemies... The generic ones look like an overdesigned version of the GRIME main character and ultimately they all seem to be lacking in the personality department.
Still if it's really a roguelite, and gacha means it could get a ridiculous amount of post release support, i'll definitely give it a try.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
nice character design.
if this has some sort of multi, i hope this is multiplayer but done correctly.
Genshins biggest issue for me is even when the homies are online, running with them feels pointless as they cant even open chests with me.
and if they collect things, they disappear for everyone else.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
this looks like my kinda jam.

Hope it gets a console release like genshin...my PC ran that like ass lol

tinthoh

Jan 13, 2018
You don't have to answer but I'm really curious what some examples for good character designs are for you.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
i wish people would just say I don't like this art style and leave it at that instead of always claiming its lazy or made by 13 year olds

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Sure.
But Genshin still has the worst, blandest, and most generic character designs out of any gacha game I've played. (Granblue, E7, Another Eden...)
This game looks like it continues following it down that path.

Nah, they clearly employ talented people its just directed in a way that's unfortunate. They can concept characters and take them to a polished animated presentation but the end result is like teen girl with cat ears shoved onto her head shaking her ass in a trailer while the male characters can be like actual bears or whatever. They're definitely going for the most predictable market possible. Basically this shit.

Can't disappoint the whales by having female characters that aren't scantily clad big booba anime girls.

Last edited:

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I dig the character designs. Signed up for the mobile beta, shame there's no PS5 release (afaik).

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
You don't have to answer but I'm really curious what some examples for good character designs are for you.

Sure, I love talking about character designs in video games, but I won't spam the thread with pics lol, because I would either post too many, or I would spend too much time looking for the right ones.
So, for starters, the char designers that worked in Capcom in the 90s (and early 00s) might be the peak for me.
Let's take the only JRPG as an example - the stuff Tatsuya Yoshikawa did for Breath of Fire is basically perfect IMO. Simple, but effective, very expressive, even the static images look like the characters might jump out at you, and most importantly - iconic. The characters are easy to remember and impactful, but nothing is too busy in their designs (not saying that busy designs are bad necessarily).
okay, one image, Ryu and Nina in all 5 BoF games (there is a lot of amazing art for these games out there, especially 3-5).
cjqdabr7rgod72blwlja.jpg

Love it, love everything about this.

When it comes to fighting games, obviously Capcom was killing it there. Bengus might be the most influential Japanese video game artist ever, the way he took from American comics, and then American artists started copying his stuff is simply poetic. He isn't that good nowadays lol, I don't think he cares anymore.
But there were also Daigo Ikeno, Akiman, Kinu Nishimura, and Edayan. Google their stuff.

SNK artists were also amazing, the KOF designs in the 90s are super iconic (also simple), here's just one more picture - the cover of Garou:

52594--garou-mark-of-the-wolves.png

I know you can't see much haha, but these designs are simply amazing. The redesign of Terry Bogard's classic look was super successful, and Rock Howard became an instant fighting game icon. This image just oozes style and 90s coolness.

I could really go on and on about this, but let's just name a few more favorites when it comes to JRPGs - Hideo Minaba and Akihiko Yoshida.
There are a lot of other games that have really good character designs - I really like the style of Fire Emblem games (I didn't play the newer ones, so my knowledge isn't super deep). When it comes to gacha games, I already said that Granblue Fantasy and Another Eden have top tier character designs. Sure, there's some fanservice, that's to be expected from these games (unfortunately), but the amount of good stuff in these two games is insane. Leagues above Genshin.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
The fact Mihoyo games is as successful it is can be easily explained by million of people like how the character looks lmao. theyre pretty.

You can just say you dislike it you know.

tinthoh

Jan 13, 2018
Sure, I love talking about character designs in video games, but I won't spam the thread with pics lol, because I would either post too many, or I would spend too much time looking for the right ones.
So, for starters, the char designers that worked in Capcom in the 90s (and early 00s) might be the peak for me.
Let's take the only JRPG as an example - the stuff Tatsuya Yoshikawa did for Breath of Fire is basically perfect IMO. Simple, but effective, very expressive, even the static images look like the characters might jump out at you, and most importantly - iconic. The characters are easy to remember and impactful, but nothing is too busy in their designs (not saying that busy designs are bad necessarily).
okay, one image, Ryu and Nina in all 5 BoF games (there is a lot of amazing art for these games out there, especially 3-5).
cjqdabr7rgod72blwlja.jpg

Love it, love everything about this.

When it comes to fighting games, obviously Capcom was killing it there. Bengus might be the most influential Japanese video game artist ever, the way he took from American comics, and then American artists started copying his stuff is simply poetic. He isn't that good nowadays lol, I don't think he cares anymore.
But there were also Daigo Ikeno, Akiman, Kinu Nishimura, and Edayan. Google their stuff.

SNK artists were also amazing, the KOF designs in the 90s are super iconic (also simple), here's just one more picture - the cover of Garou:

52594--garou-mark-of-the-wolves.png

I know you can't see much haha, but these designs are simply amazing. The redesign of Terry Bogard's classic look was super successful, and Rock Howard became an instant fighting game icon. This image just oozes style and 90s coolness.

I could really go on and on about this, but let's just name a few more favorites when it comes to JRPGs - Hideo Minaba and Akihiko Yoshida.
There are a lot of other games that have really good character designs - I really like the style of Fire Emblem games (I didn't play the newer ones, so my knowledge isn't super deep). When it comes to gacha games, I already said that Granblue Fantasy and Another Eden have top tier character designs. Sure, there's some fanservice, that's to be expected from these games (unfortunately), but the amount of good stuff in these two games is insane. Leagues above Genshin.
Ah got it, I see what you mean. Personally I like a lot of different art styles in games but the 90's and early 00's for sure had a different charm. I loved Marvel vs. Capcom 2 as a kid and got really sad they took a different turn with the art direction.
Thanks for the reply!

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
The fact Mihoyo games is as successful it is can be easily explained by million of people like how the character looks lmao. theyre pretty.

Well yeah, generic anime designs have always been popular.
And no, the character designs are not the only reason - I am a dedicated Genshin player since day 2, spent a bunch of money on the game, AR60, and am still playing daily despite the awful content drought currently.
But I dislike the character designs, and I know a lot of people that play the game and agree with me.

I am just saying I dislike it and am explaining why I think it's bad, not sure what's the problem here? Should I just post "I don't like the art" and leave it at that?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

This.
That the character designs speak to and excite so many people is what makes them good character designs.

Also, that question earlier if there even were any good Chinese character designers is super ignorant and insulting, holy moly...

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Also, that question earlier if there even were any good Chinese character designers is super ignorant and insulting, holy moly...

I didn't ask if there were any, I just said that I am not familiar with Chinese games so I can't say anything about the character designs in them hence why I suggested Japanese and Korean char designers because I know they do amazing stuff. I am clearly ignorant about it lol, as I admitted myself, not sure how me admitting being ignorant because I haven't been playing Chinese games is insulting to anyone.

Sorry about not being satisfied with plain, generic character designs, no need to be offended, you can still like them, I still enjoy the game. Doesn't mean I can't be critical of certain aspects of the game.

But you are the biggest Genshin shill on the forum, so there's really no sense in discussing anything about this game with you.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about not being satisfied with plain, generic character designs, no need to be offended, you can still like them, I still enjoy the game. Doesn't mean I can't be critical of certain aspects of the game.

But you are the biggest Genshin shill on the forum, so there's really no sense in discussing anything about this game with you.

Lol, this would maybe make sense if I wasn't constantly critiquing and asking for different and more diverse character designs in Genshin impact.

Last edited:

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem with Hoyoverse's designs is that the basic artstyle is quite generic. The designs aren't bad, but the backbone artstyle is very ho-hum. High quality, for sure, but nothing unique.

Say what you will about games like WOTV, Granblue, or FGO, but these characters are unique and cool due to their artstyle:

201223_wotvffbe_4.png

480px-Npc_zoom_3040150000_01.png

Are they overdesigned? Could be. Maybe it's because Hoyoverse's games are 3D and they don't want such a clash between the art and model? But a lot of games have chibis, so shrug.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
That's a decade before your average Genshin player was even born.

Imagine it's the 90s and some dude comes along, starts ranting about how much better the 60s were. That's what you're doing right now.

I'm not asking for those types of designs, obviously (although 90s fashion has completely taken over, but that's a different topic), I was just giving some examples of what I consider good designs haha.

And for me, Capcom and SNK were doing spectacular stuff back then. I did name some modern examples though.

Like, even if we look at more recent popular stuff that could be considered generic, like the Fate/Nasuverse franchise, it is better than Genshin stuff. Fate has some really nice designs (some awful ones as well). But everything is so simple and it managed to achieve iconic status. Everyone knows Saber. And Shiki from KnK for example, such a good design.
FGO (the gacha) takes it up a notch with some really nice art from various artists. In general, they did a lot with so little.

The biggest problem in Genshin for me (and that's a problem with a lot of gacha games) is the way characters are color-coded by their element. it is boring and makes them look like Power Rangers.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Like the designs. Really like the Bear and Wolf and the mascot character is cute. I enjoy action combat, like in Genshin or Honkai but I much prefer the big open world of Genshin to the mission based stuff of Honkai (and it's open map zone thing is kinda bad) so would be cool if this was a big city environment to explore but it seems maybe you'll be going into missions more like Honkai?

Elgen98

Nov 9, 2021
I'm not asking for those types of designs, obviously (although 90s fashion has completely taken over, but that's a different topic), I was just giving some examples of what I consider good designs haha.

And for me, Capcom and SNK were doing spectacular stuff back then. I did name some modern examples though.

Like, even if we look at more recent popular stuff that could be considered generic, like the Fate/Nasuverse franchise, it is better than Genshin stuff. Fate has some really nice designs (some awful ones as well). But everything is so simple and it managed to achieve iconic status. Everyone knows Saber. And Shiki from KnK for example, such a good design.
FGO (the gacha) takes it up a notch with some really nice art from various artists. In general, they did a lot with so little.

The biggest problem in Genshin for me (and that's a problem with a lot of gacha games) is the way characters are color-coded by their element. it is boring and makes them look like Power Rangers.
Power Rangers (sentai) is good actually, and I see no problem with color coding based on elements, that's like a weird nitpick you have. I don't like Genshin designs that much, but they are definitely better than the average gacha design, especially if you compare with FGO, even if you just take Takeuchi designs it's already lawful, every single one of his characters looks the same and if you go to the rest of artist, there's more bad designs than good ones.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah bruh, gonna need to see some gameplay
Not falling for the stylish trailer trick with debug camera angles around Ultimate Skills again, thats how genshin got me

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what people expect for a F2P game game that heavily relies on it's characters for monetization. The characters need to have a broad appeal for the game to make money, and judging by the game's success, I think it's very clear that they do.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Damn this is cool, i played genshin for some time but got bored, this looks way more my speed. Hyped

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
everything I don't like is generic

everything I do like is cool and perfect

I don't like most of Sony's first party output art wise...I would never call it generic, or lazy.

I don't understand some's weird issue with simply not liking something and leaving it at that. Like what do you expect to gain from virtually telling everyone the thing they enjoy actually sucks.

Taste is subjective.

Bengraven