• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should tattoos be easily hidden?

• Of course, have you no shame?

• Nah, YOLO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I have a half sleeve I don't care about concealing at work, but the company is pretty lax about tattoos anyway. Both owners have more ink than I do.

I personally wouldn't get a hand or neck tattoo until I ran out of good skin real estate elsewhere, but I don't think it's a that big a deal for someone to get a hand tattoo if they're already tattooed somewhere else. Just because after having one you're already used to the looks and attention you get for having one and are prepared for that.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I've got 3 myself, two are visible on my forearms so they're not really hidden. I have a career that's in the creative field so it's pretty laid back and I'm not too worried about my tattoos. Plus, when I interview, they'll be hidden under a dress shirt. Depending on your profession and where you hope to find a job, hand tattoos can be job stoppers. Especially since you can't really cover them up.

So I'd hold off until you land a new gig or a new career, maybe get one somewhere else that can be hidden for the time being? You definitely don't want to get a hand tattoo and screw yourself out of potential jobs.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
I've seen people in all walks of life (lawyers, executives, high-paid accountants and engineers) with visible tattoos. Mostly no one cares anymore and I would get a more visible one if the opportunity arose.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Listen I have 8 tattoos, but I feel this thread is giving you terrible advice. Unless you don't ever want to have a more traditional job.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Do what you want. Never bothered me.

Yeah some are pretty trash but there are a lot that are really nice. End of the day it's your arm, leg, neck or whatever and not mine.

I've thought of getting one many times but I always decide against it.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
I think all tats are hideous ugly things but it's not my business to tell other how to display them.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unless it's a heritage thing, I'll always side-eye people with visible tattoos on neck or above.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I care about visible tattoos is when they are some racist/Nazi shit.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has about, I don't know, 50 hours worth of tattoos, maybe more, hard to remember, I would never get a hand tattoo. Can't say I'd judge anyone with one, though.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
Work for a Fortune 100 company, suit / tie office & our tattoo policy is super liberal. No visible face tattoos; anything else is good to go.

Now the ear / face piercing HR non sense is a whole different story.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought that tattoo stigma was the lamest of prejudices.
If I Pretty much owned any non service industry place and you are client facing I'm not hiring you with neck and face tats.. Call me predudice For questioning your decision making. When you do that you already cut yourself out of lots of jobs willingly.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
People can do what makes them happy as long as they aren't hurting anyone else.

That being said, I will question the judgment of someone with tattoos on their face more often than not.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Depend on the location and the image or letter used.

Like this?
sub-buzz-16585-1548930771-1.png

I do mind, but if it's the aborgonal like Atayal or Paiwan, or other, I don't mind.

tumblr_o7lno7JcLG1rti0t3o1_1280.jpg

slide-3-e1518634724177.jpg

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
I mean, I say this as a tattooed person: there are absolutely some white-collar industries where you should REALLY not do something like your hands or neck. Just weigh it carefully and consider if you might be prematurely cutting yourself off from some professional opportunities. At the same time, capitalism is a joke, so like, hell yeah dude.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Accidentally read the poll wrong and voted yes when i really think no. Visible Tattoos are fine as long as they aren't overly crass or are in any way racist/sexist/homophobic/etc.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I only judge if it's a shitty tattoo. Hand tattoos are baller as fuck. Get em.

Reckheim

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as long as it doesn't affect your ability to get hired then go for it. That would be my only worry truth be told, fuck what anyone else thinks.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for tattoo visibility.

I used to wear long sleeved button ups to work (business casual) but because I hate sleeves I rolled them up to my forearms just below the elbow, which mostly conceals my tattoos. I switched over to polos and I have gotten not a single word about my tattoos except for the occasional question about what something means or because they want to show their tats also.

The only time I thought someone had something to say is when I visited another branch in a different state with my boss. One of the regional leads made some kind of comment about how the times are changing and now visible tattoos are more common with younger folk but didn't say it in such a way that it bothered him, more of a curiosity I guess.

If anyone has problems with me, or a few of the other employees showing their tattoos in a conservative industry (civil engineering and construction) then it hasn't reached my ears at all.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
I personally don't want permanent drawings on body but I don't care what others do. Most hand tattoos look kind of trashy to me but it doesn't affect how I interact with people or what I think of them, just looks like something I would regret getting done. I'd just make sure they were good quality if you are concerned with what other people think.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Some tattoos are better than others. Don't care about displaying them, they're usually cool. But some people choose some reaaaalllly dumb/weird shit for their skin.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The mindset I took is that we all gonna die someday and I have no time to think what Bob in the cubicle next to me thinks of my tats.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
I only really give the side eye if the art is particularly bad. Otherwise, I quite enjoy checking out the stuff people put on their bodies. They usually enjoy talking about them too.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I mean we are pretty much talking hand or face, even a neck tattoo could likely be covered with a shirt collar. Hand tattoo I wouldn't really care but face tattoos I think make a statement beyond what the ink is.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
people get tattoos for varying reasons, some personal, some emotional, it's their expression and their body to do what they want with

it's a shame that visible tattoos can lead to issues with employment, same with piercings and other such things

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I have several tattoos, but none of them are visible in my daily clothes (pectoral, back, ankles). I'm fine with my ink being tucked away, but I appreciate other's visible stuff too. I think it's purely a choice

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I have fingy tatts, so obviously I don't care. I wish more employers were open about visible tattoos.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) Do what you want, it's your body.
2) Understand that visible tattoos can, and will, effect your future job prospects.
3) Face and neck tattoos reek of poor judgement.

People can talk about boomers or whatever but the above still ring true, and for every anecdotal story about it not effecting someone there are dozens to the contrary. Tattoos are basically normalized these days, but if you think you're going to slap one on your forehead and it not impact your life choices you're insane.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
No problem unless it's racist or something. Though even with the racist ones at least they're saving me time.

_swee_

Oct 26, 2017
Portland OR
I love tattoos and wanting to get more when i get the money. I have a nice forearm sleeve that will eventually be a whole arm sleeve.

I also live in Portland so tattoos around here are common with alot of people.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
What is your job OP? If you're in any type of business/lawyer/other professional setting I would say it will impact you in some way.

My brother is up to 9 or 10 tattoos now but all of them are hidden by clothing at his job except for two on his forearms. They're both very nice (irish symbols) and he doesn't deal directly with customers a lot.

1) Do what you want, it's your body.
2) Understand that visible tattoos can, and will, effect your future job prospects.
3) Face and neck tattoos reek of poor judgement.

People can talk about boomers or whatever but the above still ring true, and for every anecdotal story about it not effecting someone there are dozens to the contrary. Tattoos are basically normalized these days, but if you think you're going to slap one on your forehead and it not impact your life choices you're insane.

Also #3.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Voted "No" to the question of whether they should be hidden, though I think tattoos tend to be ugly as hell. But to each their own.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
People should be judged by their character and actions, not ink on their skin or the color of their hair or the clothes they wear or whatever other bullshit. It's against progressive values to judge people like that, unless they are like racist tattoos or whatever.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Uh, I don't think anyone should care about the others freedom to make and display a tattoo on their bodies. But we know that's not how the world works.

I only dislike tattoos on the face. I would never do it. But I can't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do anyway.