• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
This reminds me of when discussing how to pronounce beans in Spanish. I say FREE-ho-less while I know others say free-HO-less

it's the second one, plus it's more of a "hard H" (?) sound, almost like you're going to spit but not as pronounced or over the top.

EDIT: "Frijoles" (plural) is what we call "palabra grave" in spanish - the stress falls in the second-to-last syllable. "Frijol" (singular), on the other hand, is what we call "palabra aguda" - the stress is on the last syllable.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
it's the second one, plus it's more of a "hard H" (?) sound, almost like you're going to spit but not as pronounced or over the top.
Yeah I wasn't sure how to write out the "Jo" part, figured "ho" was fine lol

I have to disagree since my family and has always used the first pronunciation. But it probably depends where you are from since I'm Colombian and that's how I've heard it my whole life

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Yeah I wasn't sure how to write out the "Jo" part, figured "ho" was fine lol

I have to disagree since my family and has always used the first pronunciation. But it probably depends where you are from since I'm Colombian and that's how I've heard it my whole life

yeah, checked that and it seems countries call the same thing with the stress on different syllables. To some it's "frí-jol", to others it's "friJOL". Fuckin 'ell.

EDIT: And we call them porotos here 🤣

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the time a non-Spanish speaking American dude tried to mansplain how I was mispronouncing the ll in Medellín... the name of my hometown.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Here OP. Next time you need to know how to pronounce something you can use google and you will surely get a video or something useful that you can actually hear.

Btw. This example is for "La llave" which means "the key" just dont mind the "la" and just listen to llave.

This is precisely why I am confused... I googled multiple sources. Check this out:

She pronounces llave with a soft "b" like "ya-bveh". It sounds nothing like your video with "j"? Regardless, she starts out with the "y" sound!?!?

She even puts it in a sentence.

Last edited:

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
She pronounces llave with a soft "b" like "ya-bveh". It sounds nothing like your video with "j"?

officially, according to the RAE (which is the organization that preserves the Spanish language, so to speak), there's no difference in Spanish between "b" and "v". Same sound (unlike english).

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
This is precisely why I am confused... I googled multiple sources. Check this out:

She pronounces llave with a soft "b" like "ya-bveh". It sounds nothing like your video with "j"?

OP if you know where the Spanish lady is from, maybe that might help you learn to pronounce it how she would want you to. Or just pick which one sounds better/you feel more comfortable saying since there's no "right" pronunciation between yah and Jah or even sha

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
OP if you know where the Spanish lady is from, maybe that might help you learn to pronounce it how she would want you to. Or just pick which one sounds better/you feel more comfortable saying since there's no "right" pronunciation between yah and Jah or even sha
Hmm well I guess you're right. I should probably ask where she is from first. Because I have no idea and I don't want to assume.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a regionalism. Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek would both pronounce it "y" while Sofia Vergara pronounces it "j".

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had a teacher from el Salvador, and her regional dialect pronounced Ll as ja. I had a Spanish teacher from Barcelona and she pronounced it yah. But she also pronounced C as th, so its barthelona.

That's the standard in Spain. Though even here there are regions where people would pronounce it as S like in America.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
You're gonna be okay. When you forget the exact pronunciation to impress your new friend, use google translate. You'll look like you're trying to learn, and that you're tech savvy at the same time. After that, it's your move to see what kind of budding friendship this really is. Winky face.

Oct 28, 2017
rw59iaopx5h21.jpg
Replace verb conjugations with subjunctive mood

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes forget english doesnt have a "LL"
That's the standard in Spain. Though even here there are regions where people would pronounce it as S like in America.

The seseo is not isolated to Central, South America, and the Caribbean, it happens within Spain too!

Last edited:

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wanna get more confused? In Argentina the LL sound is "SH," so they would say "sha-veh"

Dominican here. We say "jah-veh."

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
J vs Y depends on accent.

Also, most people don't really think about it, but our Vs are more soft winded compared to English. We don't bite into the lip for them.

Last edited:

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP I really think this is going to depend on where this woman is from. Pronunciation can vary a lot between different countries and probably different regions too. I've definitely heard y, j, and then something kind of in between. Just pick one and go for it. You have no reason to give a fuck.

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, I speak fluent Spanish (Cuban born in the US) and I've said "yah-veh" my whole life and I was never corrected by my parents. Have I been saying it wrong my whole life or does the pronunciation vary by region?

Edit: I guess it is a regional thing.

Last edited:

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Is she Spanish from Spain or are you incorrectly using "Spanish" to mean "Spanish-speaking"?

As far as I know Castilian Spanish does not differentiate between 'y' and 'll'.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is she Spanish from Spain or are you incorrectly using "Spanish" to mean "Spanish-speaking"?

As far as I know Castilian Spanish does not differentiate between 'y' and 'll'.

Technically they are pronounced differently but in practice nobody does it. Mainly because ll should be a very soft sound (think of the Catalan ll) and most Spanish people never use anything remotely comparable.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Technically they are pronounced differently but in practice nobody does it. Mainly because ll should be a very soft sound (think of the Catalan ll) and most Spanish people never use anything remotely comparable.

I mean, yeismo is a dialectal variation of the language, if no one does it it means it is absent in that particular variety.

It's like the distincion, we wouldn't say "Well, 's' and 'z' are pronounced differently but no one in Latin America does it", instead we recognise that the /th/ sound is absent in LatAm.

As far as I am aware, yeismo is completely absent in most monolingual regions of Spain, and the people who do it are usually bilinguals influenced by Catalan.

Yeismo however is a characteristic of many Latin American varieties, Andean Spanish comes to mind.

FPS murderer

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
Yes. It's no different than regional dialects in the US. Somebody from the south, from Boston, and from California might say the same word very different.

A better example would be English from England, Ireland, Australia, South Africa etc. Countries I mean. Your example would be more akin to something more regional, like Spanish from let's say a city south of Mexico, one north etc.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sha-ve for me.

It's entirely regional and any way of doing it is honestly fine as long as you're actually consistent.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
The quotation makes around "teach" and "words" made me think this was a thread about OP fucking his Spanish teacher.