hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The way I was taught is a y sound with the tounge touching the ceiling of your mouth at the start

the stress should be on the first syllable in this word

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How do you pronounce "yema" in your Spanish-speaking region? In a single city in Spain (Sevilla), I heard it pronounced two different ways. Using English pronunciation spellings: "jema" and "yema."

p.s. Wasn't expecting OP's question to be so straightforward. Double-hyphens in the thread title threw me off.

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif
Is this what's called a Fatality?
He has no gaming? I don't understand

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Thread title is very misleading. Why are "teach" and "words" in quotation marks if she is in fact attempting to teach you words?

I came in expecting to "learn" some "spicy" new innuendo. Very disappointed.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Regional and National dialects are a hell of a thing. OP, you're going to have to flip a coin on Yah vs Jah. Personally, I learned it as Yah and in my experience living in various places within the US, Yah is the most commonly used pronunciation. I'd guess it's because Mexican variations of Spanish have had heavy influence throughout the majority of the US. But it could easily be different in areas of the US where say, Carribean Latin influences are heavy, like South Florida and the East Coast in general.

As an aside since I saw mention of these, I was taught that the "c" as an "s" sound was a Castilian influence of Spanish, heard in Spain and parts of South America. Meanwhile the "v" vs "b" sounds tend to vary almost person to person. There's also Vosotros vs. Nosotros vs. Ustedes which can also be quite confusing to a non-native speaker.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to think of a letter of phonic or whatever it's called that is completely changed. Usually English accents are various forms of shortcuts or warping of vowels. So a Boston accent for example might warp the O in Boston to have both the long and then short sound. It also might drop the end of a lot of words. But I can't think of a consonant being pronounced completely different off the top of my head.

See that one actually makes sense to me because it's an emphasis on different syllables, and it is using a different sound of the letter i, both of which are in use by both cultures. Actually, a lot of older folk in America still say it, but it's rare to find nowadays.
H

Herb - uk
Erb - US

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
How do you americans pronounce "y" and "j"? This discussion got me all confused.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
Jave? I'm From MedellĂ­n. We emphasised in the Y.
Colombian here (Bogotá)... Pretty sure we say yah-ve (the tongue is more close to the palate) instead of jah-ve.

XD... We miss you /rr/ (hard r) and /LL/...
Dang I'm shocked lol. I'm Manizales and never heard yah-ve from other Colombians. Also it's kinda hard to tell if when you guys say yah-ve you're using the English pronunciation(I am) of the y or not lol. Because, to me at least, in Spanish 'Y' and 'LL' both sound about the same

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ll has 3 common pronunciations in spanish as people have mentioned here. But spanish is way more variable than that.

For example conjugations are totally different depending on the accent and region, some places use ud/tu, spain uses vosotros, some places uses ud/vos instead.

Another example is the rr sound. Its usually rolled, but in my country is a hard labial sound with no rolling.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
H

Herb - uk
Erb - US

That's why I included shortcuts. That's not a different sound. It's just a sound being left off.

I'm talking about a various symbol or phonics rule that only makes one sound in one region and only makes another sound that is formed completely differently in the mouth in another. "y-" and "j-" involve completely different mouth shapes for the same phonics rule (double l). I cannot think of anything in English like that. At least the odd "ch" sound has some relation to "j-"

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
That's why I included shortcuts. That's not a different sound. It's just a sound being left off.

I'm talking about a various symbol or phonics rule that only makes one sound in one region and only makes another sound that is formed completely differently in the mouth in another. "y-" and "j-" involve completely different mouth shapes for the same phonics rule (double l). I cannot think of anything in English like that. At least the odd "ch" sound has some relation to "j-"

New England (most notably Southie Boston) accents. The hard R is Rhotic while the Southie accent is Non-Rhotic.

Chowder (hard R) vs. Chowdah (the R isn't just soft but has an H sound)
Hard (hard R) vs Hahd (h sound)
Beer (hard R) vs Beeah (again the H sound)
Park (hard R) vs Pawhk (H sound proceeded with a bit of a w sound)

Then you have the Dipthong element of Southie.

Honest vs awnest
God vs Gawd
etc...

For more really interesting and entertaining information, I highly recommend Wired's Technique Critique series with Erik Singer.

Oct 26, 2017
So this is really going to be a language thread now? You disappoint me ERA.

How about: who the hell is this women and why is she coming by your office on a regular basis OP!?