• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently reading/cycling through 3 paperbacks.

I love the smell of an old, used paperback. They're cheap. They give me a sense of nostalgia, too, because I used to read a TON of paperback books when I was a kid. I like flipping through the pages and feeling the weight of the book in my hands.

I also like audio books, because they're great for "on-the-go" listening, like during a commute or road trip. But I haven't tried digital Kindle or Nook or whatever is popular right now. It lacks that genuine feeling of reading a physical book, but I can see the appeal.

I'm also somewhat of a "collector" and I own well over a hundred paperback and hardcover books on my book shelf, TV cabinet, night stand, coffee table, etc. They make great decoration, and they're a great conversation starter when guests come over.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Yes. Entirely digital and have been for years. Love my Kindle. Can read at night with the light off. Easier to travel with. Space saver. Love it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Except for art/lore books, yes. Books were the second form of media that I embraced the digital form of after music. It makes way too much sense to replace a personal library with a Kindle.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting there. I ran out of space for books a long time ago, so I've been buying mostly digital for awhile now. Especially for comics I want to read.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I buy both versions sometimes because I'm dumb. I love real books so I read the physical version at home and have a digital version on my kindle for reading on the go. Don't think I could ever go fully digital just because I'm romantic about physical books still.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Physical books for favorite-ist authors/titles only. Ebook for the rest. Moving too much and moving to a place with higher housing costs (so limited space) has taught me to miniize the physical books - I used to have like 4 5-shelf bookcases.

My problem has been new/unknown authors. I'm not doing full retail most of the time for unknowns site unseen, and it is hard to find time to get to the library.

Probably has led to me reading less than I used to.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be pretty hardcore into ebooks, but in the last 4 or 5 years I've wanted to be less connected and have gone back to physical books.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I've been basically digital-only for years now. I'll buy physical copies of art books or coffee table books, but anything that's predominantly text is read on the Kindle, which amounts to 40-50 books a year. Love the convenience, battery life and screen.

I cleared out a lot of physical books recently because I'm moving in the near future and don't want to deal with carrying those boxes again.

I got given a paperback of a book I've wanted to read for my birthday in October and it's still sitting next to my bed. Need to get to that eventually.

Might end up buying The Winds of Winter in hardback as I have the rest of them in the shelf, if sentiment gets the better of me. Will probably read it digitally, though.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Books for artbooks and special hard covers, otherwise only digital and audiobooks.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I do for those large books, think The Three Musketeers or any lengthy series like The Expanse. I will get physical if the book is light and easy to hold.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Physical all the way. There's a calmness I get from browsing libraries and bookstores, I like to know at a glance how far I am into whatever I'm currently reading and I feel like it's more acceptable to be seen reading a book while I'm on the clock than looking at my phone.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
for some reason i was reluctant over the ebook thing for years but now i'd be surprised if i "leisurely" read a physical book again in my life

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
I already was headed that way but even more so once I found out how easy it is to get library books on ereaders and i devices with my library card. So convenient. Check out the Libby app.

Oct 27, 2017
I only buy physical books.

Lately I do most of my reading digital. Using Libby (and Kindle which it connects to). Because why buy a digital book when you can read it for free?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I still only buy physical books. I like going to bookshops, reading blurbs, looking at covers, leafing through a few pages... Plus I have several bookshelves and it's nice to stock them with books I actually want to read.

I find a problem with digital purchases is you're more inclined to do it in bulk, then you never actually read all the stuff you want to because you end up with a huge backlog.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I hate reading books on a phone or tablet. I like the tactile sensation of reading a real book. So no, I don't buy ebooks pretty much at all.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I was all digital for a while and now I'm right back to buying physical.
Part of switching back was not wanting to support amazon anymore and the other part of it was getting into hard-to-find books on local history that simply didn't exist digitally. All that lead me to rediscovering how nice it is to have a physical book again.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Little bit of all of it.

Comics I am completely digital, mostly Marvel Unlimited but buy from Comixology on occasion.

Audiobooks I use Hoopla (through my Library) and use these when I am playing Games and low on podcasts. Right now I am listening to Gaiman's American Gods for a second time, there are some passages I like a bit but I am familiar so it allows me to play games I need to concentrate on.

As for actual books? I'll read digitally, own some stuff plus I actually take advantage of Prime with the first read selections. Mostly use the library though, nothing like a real book. Most other media the physical is storage and you usually access it somehow, whereas a book is a complete product and it's own delivery method, perfect entertainment. And nothing smells quite like a brand new book.

I collect found Stephen King novels (in other words Yard Sales, on a bench, any time I find a King book in the wild no matter title, edition, or if I have it already I make it mine. Weird little quirks but it works for me) otherwise I just donate my physical books, we have a box for that near us.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I only get physical books. The last thing I need is more screen time. I also enjoy the feel of progess as I flip pages.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I read primarily on my Kindle then will later keep an eye out for physical copies of the books I really loved. With special hardcover stuff like art books I'll always buy physical though, and even then I'm selective about what to bother buying.

I don't like reading longer texts on a screen. I had to do it so much for uni and I can't relax with this.

Reading books has to be on paper for me. I like the feel, the smell and that I'm not looking at a screen.
I also don't need to carry my whole library with me as 1-2 books keep me busy for weeks.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Lol never. Have barely any digital books. Physical books are the one medium where I'm alright having the physical lol

Era and other forums is enough digital reading as is.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not entirety, but the vast majority of my books are digital. I like buying physical for art books (obvs), cookbooks, and some instructional or reference textbook type books.

I wish I had more physical books, but the convenience really beats all. I end up reading on my phone more than anything.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yes. Have for years since I bought my first Kindle (keyboard version).

The only thing I buy physical are graphic novels, art, and cookbooks. But I recently bought a tablet so I probably will stop buying cookbooks and graphic novels physically too.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i borrow a shitton of a books from the library and they're all digital because i'm a lazy fuck
also i just read this https://smile.amazon.com/Consider-Lobster-Essays-Foster-Wallace/dp/0316013323?sa-no-redirect=1 on my kindle and it has way too many footnotes that would be a pain to keep flipping back and forth in paper format, so there's another plus.
also, goodreads integration on kindle is just so nice

i don't think i can go back except if the ebook version simply doesn't exist for whatever reason

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still prefer physical books, but I'd probably be fine going full digital if I had a nice, dedicated E-reader like a Paperwhite.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
We move around too much for me to exclusively buy physical. So I do a mix with mostly digital. But once we settle in and I can have a library, I'll probably switch back to favoring physical.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I bought like 3 books for my kindle fire and then never read them and I never touch the kindle any more. Meanwhile I got 5 books for Christmas and I've started reading 3 of them.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
I have started getting into digital but I love my real books. I still use the library. I love how it feels and seeing people's old notes sometimes just give it this certain feeling. Nothing like a slightly worn book.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No poll? I 100% prefer physical books over digital, only downside for me is storage space, I'm filling up my book compartments :(

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much, except for gifts given or received.

Once you go one-handed, you just can't turn back.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. In fact I look for super fancy collectors editions of many of my favorite books because I want them to be something I can touch.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
One of my main hobbies is collecting Stephen King (signed books etc), so I love physical books but usually when actually reading it's on Kindle (or kindle+ audible). It's just the most versatile. An e-ink reader really is different than reading on your phone/tablet/pc, not nearly as straining. But I do also like being able to resume across devices + audiobook. I don't care much for other physical media but I am a sucker for a nice book production