• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I've cut my pop intake to one every once in a while, and when I do it's the little 250mL cans. Drinking sparkling water like it's going outta style tho

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eh, fuck off Harvard.

they've been trying to tell us sugar will kill you for years, then the diet stuff will kill you, now the sugar will kill you again.

did they adjust for stress and other factors that contribute to cancer and heart disease, or just the fact that they drank what everyone drinks?
I remain unswayed.

edit: that said I stopped drinking sodas because they've gotten really syrupy over the decades, and mainly drink things with real sugar.
"first they say one thing is bad for you, and then they say other things are bad for you, and then they remind you that the first thing is still bad. how can I keep up anymore?!"

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how people get confused about different kinds of drinks being bad or not. If it has ADDED SUGAR (note: not the same thing as artificial sweeteners like aspartame, sucralose, etc.), it is generally bad for you if consumed on the regular and should be considered the same as any other junk food or dessert--something to indulge in once in a blue moon. Be aware that added sugar means any source of concentrated or refined sugars like that which comes from table sugar (sucrose), corn syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, agave syrup, brown rice syrup, evaporated cane juice, any form of sweet fruit/vegetable juice (e.g., apple, orange, carrot, prune, etc.), raw sugar, molasses, honey, etc. Concentrating natural sugars is not "good" just because the source happens to be less processed. Eat a balanced diet which contains a much higher proportion of complex carbohydrates and fiber than simple, refined/processed sugars.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
"first they say one thing is bad for you, and then they say other things are bad for you, and then they remind you that the first thing is still bad. how can I keep up anymore?!"
what the hell do they expect us to drink?

keep drinking sugar, just less of it. don't drink the crazy marketed sugary drinks and even moderate the fruit juices. Make your lemonades and teas with real sugar, and keep living like a human being and not an animal

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

keep drinking sugar, just less of it. don't drink the crazy marketed sugary drinks and even moderate the fruit juices. Make your lemonades and teas with real sugar, and keep living like a human being and not an animal
I just drink tea without sugar added. Lemonade is basically candy and makes me want to brush my teeth, like gatorade.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I dropped soda last summer,
I had it bad, lost 30lbs and feel great.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know its bad for me, I just dont care. Live fast, die young

Except you're not gonna die young, you're still gonna live into your late 70's/80's but just with a horrible quality of life, just like the millions of other old people who neglected their bodies and are currently eating up hundreds of millions in healthcare costs.

Mar 29, 2018
So sports drinks like Gatorade? I always thought it was weird that athletes drink that sugary garbage.

Also, I used to drink a six pack of Diet Coke everyday but stopped about 2 years ago am I gonna still die from it?
Athletes don't drink that stuff. The adverts tell you they do, but they don't

Edit and no two years of clean of soda has probably cleared you of those toxins, depending on how old you are - not that there are too many

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about G2 Gatorade? Its more water than Gatorade and I use it for my dry mouth.

Pop Im still struggling to kick...

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Athletes don't drink that stuff. The adverts tell you they do, but they don't

Edit and no two years of clean of soda has probably cleared you of those toxins, depending on how old you are - not that there are too many

Best decision I've made in a long time was quitting soda. I honestly feel great now, and all I drink is water and coffee.

I used to drink a six pack of diet cherry Pepsi a day. I loved that stuff, but looking back, I beleive drinking it was the cause of my headaches, lethargy, and acne. I have none of those problems anymore.

Mar 29, 2018
Best decision I've made in a long time was quitting soda. I honestly feel great now, and all I drink is water and coffee.

I used to drink a six pack of diet cherry Pepsi a day. I loved that stuff, but looking back, I beleive drinking it was the cause of my headaches, lethargy, and acne. I have none of those problems anymore.
Damn, good on you noticing and quitting.

I'm the literal exact opposite. I only used to drink water and coffee, but realised recently that I'm allergic to coffee (along with a slew of other things). So now to get my caffeine fix I'm reduced to drinking a lot of diet coke...

To be honest I should probably swap to green tea which is mega on the caffeine front.

I've smoked for 14 years, I'm dead either way.
It only takes like a year or two for your body to be clear of a ton of the damage cigarettes do. After like 5-10 years you're right as rain. IIRC.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how much sugar can we have a day for it to not be an issue? Grams wise that is.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
These drinks are the worst for you no matter how you slice it.

I still drink soda, but I've cut down drastically and barely do half of those tinier cans. I'll continue ti try weening off it more and more.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
New study that sugar is bad?

I think we are pretty certain about it at this point.

Eggs though. Figure that out scientific community!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've severely limited fizzy drink intake for the past 16 years, just far too much sugar and other rubbish that my body doesn't deserve to be abused with. I generally stick to water, fresh veg/fruit smoothies, mixed with tea and coffee. I know coffee isn't ideal, but its mostly once in the morning.

What gets me is when people chain drink coke over the course of a few hours, I don't understand that. And red bull drinkers, that's hardcore.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I read no more than 30ish grams of ADDED sugar a day. With our food supply the numbers add up fucking fast.

Sigh, guess I need to drop G2 Gatorade too. Its the only thing that helps with my dry mouth when I sleep.

Just discovered its 20g for a large bottle.

Low sugar my ass.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
These studies are also framed as sugary sodas killing you, but aren't fruit juices full of sugar too? Is OJ killing me?

For fruit juices like OJ, it's best to half the pulp and other fruit meat in there as well. Fill you up better, and you get a lot more of the plant cells/nutrients. Just straight juice is not so good.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow

Eating and drinking healthy lets you live longer and this is why people that work out + "eat clean" have a better lifestyle.
Who would have thought
Those Harvard guys are really smart - Next up "Smoking is bad for you and everyone around you"

Many people make the mistake when buying these "low fat" products/drinks/joghurts at the store thinking they are healthy.
Usually they are pumped full with sugar too.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, guess I need to drop G2 Gatorade too. Its the only thing that helps with my dry mouth when I sleep.

Just discovered its 20g for a large bottle one.

Low sugar my ass.
Well it's lowER sugar compared to the regular one.
The sugar free power aide doesn't taste so bad but if you are hooked on sugar it's going to be a big adjustment.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Guess my inability to drink soda works out in my favor for once.

(It overcarbonates in my mouth to the point where I feel like I'm choking, unless I have a very, very small amount.)

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow

Eating and drinking healthy lets you live longer and this is why people that work out + "eat clean" have a better lifestyle.
Who would have thought
Those Harvard guys are really smart - Next up "Smoking is bad for you and everyone around you"

Many people make the mistake when buying these "low fat" products/drinks/joghurts at the store thinking they are healthy.
Usually they are pumped full with sugar too.

I think we're at a point where people know the low-fat diet was bullshit, but companies don't want to really switch because nobody gives enough of a shit to stop eating sugar filled products, mainly because it's in everything and if you want to stop eating processed sugars you're gonna need to basically cook for yourself.

Excess sugar isn't just a soda issue, any processed food is gonna be loaded with extra sugar.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
Eat your vegetables and fruit and drink some water... Come on people, none of this is a surprise.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Eat your vegetables and fruit and drink some water... Come in people, none of this is a surprise.
Random.

My gastro doc told me to avoid fried fatty foods to reduce my gastric reflux. My regular doc told me to avoid refined sugar foods to keep my blood sugar levels though.

Somehow....I have managed to gain no excess weight into my 40s.

It's amazing!

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
I have been drinking only water for close to 10 years now, but I have started to drink sports beverages during actual highly demanding activities I do one a week or so. Am I safe, ERA!? :(

You are completely safe!

Sugar IN EXCESS is a very bad thing. If you drink such beverages only rarely, especially when you do very hard sports activities at the same time, nothing bad will happen. I think the WHO said that less than 25 grams of refined sugar per day shouldn't be a problem.

However, if you do it that rarely, you should ask yourself if you really need it.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Well i work out with sobe vitamin water but it doesn't help with dry mouth.
Have you found the cause of your dry mouth?
Is it dry mouth? Or thirst? Because if it's just thirst sometimes that's bad news when it comes to blood sugar levels. But if it's an actual dry mouth issue I wouldn't know.

I hope you get a handle on it.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you found the cause of your dry mouth?
Is it dry mouth? Or thirst? Because if it's just thirst sometimes that's bad news when it comes to blood sugar levels. But if it's an actual dry mouth issue I wouldn't know.

I hope you get a handle on it.

I think it has to do with me being a mouth breather in my sleep.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah quit those sugar drinks guys, I did years ago now. Seriously everything gives you cancer so just pick whatever you want to die from at this point.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
my favourite energy drink is sugarfree........ my second favourite certainly isn't, though.

(also, i mean, i'm fairly sure the sugarfree one is still full of all sorts of nasty stuff, sooooooo)