Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
3168450b30.jpg

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been tempted to try those water flavoring packet things to spice things up with my h20 consumption. Are those bad too? :- \

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been tempted to try those water flavoring packet things to spice things up with my h20 consumption. Are those bad too? :- \

Depends, there are sugared one which will be about as bad as soda, and there are unsugared ones which will be on par with sugar free drinks (IE, don't blast through a couple liters/quarts of it today and you'll be fine)

Well they just mentioned in the article thay the diet results may be skewed due to the fact that these individuals switched from sugary drinks.

Indeed. A more conclusive and specialized study would have to be done to say for a fact there.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I just bought a 12 pack of vanilla Coke last night. First time I've ever bought a 12 pack of any pop in like 6 years. We'll see how long it takes for me to finish this.

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. Is it still ok to drink the Bang drinks from nutrition shops?
Bang's don't contain sugar... but I'd still be worried since we don't know the long term health effects of a lot of these "special energy blend" type products... At least it doesn't appear to have yojimbe bark and stuff in them.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
These studies are also framed as sugary sodas killing you, but aren't fruit juices full of sugar too? Is OJ killing me?

Fruit sugar is not processed sugar. It takes longer time to digest and your body can handle it. It doesn't shoot up your blood sugar level. You ancestor has been eating fruit for 1+ million years, but processed sugar only the last couple hundred years. Your body is not designed for it.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fruit sugar is not processed sugar. It takes longer time to digest and your body can handle it. It doesn't shoot up your blood sugar level. You ancestor has been eating fruit for 1+ million years, but processed sugar only the last couple hundred years. Your body is not designed for it.
Not in liquid form though.
Juice is just as unhealthy, there's no fibre, plus the quantity.
Our "ancestors" ate an apple, they didn't drink 4 (a cup's worth).

OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but that's an over simplification.
A simplification, yes, but hardly an oversimplification. The study was on the health impact of sugary drinks over 3 decades, and they clearly didn't see nearly the health concerns with unsugared sodas and energy drinks. If your protein shakes are getting most of their carbs from sugar, you can pretty safely assume that they are unhealthier than those with protein shakes that don't.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody should be drinking Soda or Sports Drinks, which is essentially more Soda...ever...it's just shit.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gotta switch to lacroix

gatorade/powerade is insane. nobody should be drinking that unless they're a serious athlete. just thinking of the feeling it leaves in your mouth makes me want to go brush my teeth.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
So every participant in the study was split into two categories. One drank fizzy lifting drinks the regular kind, and the other drank the pseudo sugar kind. All day long, everyday, from the moment of inception, to the day of death and drank nothing else.

They did not injest anything else, nothing other than their particular soda pop. Each and every day. For each and every meal. Because such scientfic rigor is the only way they could categorically state one way or another.

They must have used rats.

Glad to know.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
eh, fuck off Harvard.

they've been trying to tell us sugar will kill you for years, then the diet stuff will kill you, now the sugar will kill you again.

did they adjust for stress and other factors that contribute to cancer and heart disease, or just the fact that they drank what everyone drinks?
I remain unswayed.

edit: that said I stopped drinking sodas because they've gotten really syrupy over the decades, and mainly drink things with real sugar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Inugami

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So every participant in the study was split into two categories. One drank fizzy lifting drinks the regular kind, and the other drank the pseudo sugar kind. All day long, everyday, from the moment of inception, to the day of death and drank nothing else.

They did not injest anything else, nothing other than their particular soda pop. Each and every day. For each and every meal. Because such scientfic rigor is the only way they could categorically state one way or another.

Glad to know.
You could just... I dunno... click the link in the OP, or read the original study versus throwing in completely anti-scientific mumbo jumbo. Might as well throw in a "FAKE NEWS" while you're at it.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
good thing I've stopped. Haven't had any Soda in about 2 weeks now, and I have no intention of drinking it ever again.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Juice is not much healthier than soda. Eating fruits is much better for you, one glass of orange juice is the equivalent of 2-4 actual oranges and doesn't have most of the pulp that makes it more fulfilling and take longer to digest.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped drinking them 14 years ago and I genuinely can't imagine how I could live with all that extra sugar intake. I just drink water, coffee, and tea aside from alcohol sometimes.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Glad to know.
a public health statement warning everyone about a poison isn't a personal attack against you for drinking it

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, more and more evidence continues to point just how awful sugar is for you.

I've managed to cut my soda intake to 0-2 a month, which I feel pretty good about. Just enough to treat myself every now and again.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Looking at their data, the people who drink artificially sweetened drinks do tend to weigh more. 2-6 artificially sweetened drinks a week is an extra 0.5 BMI, more than 2 a day is about an extra 1.0 BMI. They kind of hand wave it away because they didn't strictly enforce what people were drinking, so they attribute that to people switching to artificially sweetened drinks when they're already fat from sugar sweetened drinks. I find it really hard to believe that is consistently the case over a 30 year study. Especially when the calorie intake for the artificially sweetened group is lower, and the activity level for the artificially sweetened group is slightly higher.

I think they have a lot of confounding issues. They even mention this as a potential problem- that people drinking artificially sweetened drinks tend to exhibit other behaviors that are healthier (and isn't this at odds with them tending to weigh more?). The lack of any dietary interventions on the researchers' part makes all of these claims pretty meh in my opinion. The error bars on the mortality rates for BMI >25 are quite large for both artificially and sugar sweetened drinks. The ones <25 look more convincing to me.

I wouldn't take this study as a permission slip to go nuts on artificially sweetened drinks. If you're not exhibiting other healthy behaviors, then chances are it wouldn't do too much good. Although I guess if you managed to drop your weight from solely switching to artificially sweetened drinks, that would probably be good regardless of anything else that's going on.

Last edited:

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you're not a woman who drinks 4 or more diet sodas a day. That is showing a higher deathrate, but the author says it's not conclusive evidence (compared to the sugary drinks).

But yes, sugar is far far worse for you than a little bit of aspartame.

Still waiting for any actual evidence to emerge potentially proving that Diet Coke (or anything else with an artificial sweetener) is actually bad for you.

Most I've read is that it makes someone more likely to eat something sugary... But if you don't (which I don't), I don't see any evidence that proves long-term harm.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
You could just... I dunno... click the link in the OP, or read the original study versus throwing in completely anti-scientific mumbo jumbo. Might as well throw in a "FAKE NEWS" while you're at it.

I read it and i'm doubling down. I think you missed my point . . . and the truth of it.

Or maybe you got my point and thats why you flung insults and derision? ( <probabally that )

Last edited:

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, more and more evidence continues to point just how awful sugar is for you.

I've managed to cut my soda intake to 0-2 a month, which I feel pretty good about. Just enough to treat myself every now and again.
Yeah that's how I rolled for a long time. Mostly I'd just get orange soda with Mexican food or a coke with a burger, haha. But I eventually lost interest in it all together. I like the taste, but it also kinda feels like I'm just drinking a random concoction of chemicals.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They put way too much sugar in soft drinks.
Making it addictive garbage.

All in moderation.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
eh, fuck off Harvard.

they've been trying to tell us sugar will kill you for years, then the diet stuff will kill you, now the sugar will kill you again.

did they adjust for stress and other factors that contribute to cancer and heart disease, or just the fact that they drank what everyone drinks?
I remain unswayed.

edit: that said I stopped drinking sodas because they've gotten really syrupy over the decades, and mainly drink things with real sugar.

is this a parody post

I actually can't fathom that some of you are complaining that you're being told eating truck loads of sugar years on end is bad for you.

Have you not noticed that one third of humanity is overweight or obese? Obesity rates have skyrocketed since the 80's when everyone freaked out about fat and food producers replaced fat with processed sugar?