• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
Just don't talk about the models.

250px-Lordhoodhalo.JPG

Frightful.
The Miranda's Death cutscene not only is ugly as fuck, its also pretty stupid. Cant believe they greenlighted that.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
It's only been a few days since the modding tools for Halo 3 have been available and the community is already doing crazy with them, having custom vehicles, animations and new maps ready to be used.

Honestly, I was afraid this would mean the death of Halo Custom Edition (which in a way is), but MCC modding with Halo CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3 is ultra promising, can't wait to see what's going to be made by next year, this game have decades of content to come:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's only been a few days since the modding tools for Halo 3 have been available and the community is already doing crazy with them, having custom vehicles, animations and new maps ready to be used.

Honestly, I was afraid this would mean the death of Halo Custom Edition (which in a way is), but MCC modding with Halo CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3 is ultra promising, can't wait to see what's going to be made by next year, this game have decades of content to come:

I got a kick outta this earlier today

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
So if these people are able to push these through to the custom game browser, how would we be able to play them? If new users join the map would we have to download it per connection?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
One of my biggest gripes with MCC is how map selection is made. I que up for BTB and it has 62 maps and yet the same five are on repeat.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
Every time there is an update to MCC I lose my campaign saves? It remembers what level I'm on but always puts me back to the start. So annoying.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Every time there is an update to MCC I lose my campaign saves? It remembers what level I'm on but always puts me back to the start. So annoying.
That's not uncommon nor surprising for anything like Halo's checkpoint system. Mid level saves will be a memory serialisation; if you update the levels and assets, the data in the save no longer matches the assets and cannot be used safely. It just comes with the territory, unfortunately.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't show much and leave people with minimal expectations only to be blown away by the return of space combat with the Sabre or fighting against a Scarab while operating a new version of the Elephant, etc.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I really need to see some good Halo SP hype

It scares me how they're focusing on MP only anymore - especially when this SP is supposed to be a huge evolution and innovation, but then had a troubled development. I'm just hoping it's not small in scope and story, and more of a proof of concept.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I hope they don't show much and leave people with minimal expectations only to be blown away by the return of space combat with the Sabre or fighting against a Scarab while operating a new version of the Elephant, etc.

You know, it's funny that you mention that but, I've always asked for more enemy factions, more vehicles and all, but I never even thought about Scarab returning, even though Halo 3's Scarab fights are some of the best set pieces in gaming.

And now I'll be disappointed if they're not there. Again.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
You know, it's funny that you mention that but, I've always asked for more enemy factions, more vehicles and all, but I never even thought about Scarab returning, even though Halo 3's Scarab fights are some of the best set pieces in gaming.

And now I'll be disappointed if they're not there. Again.

Remember when Frankie tried to sell us on the h5 kraken as a worthy successor?

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Remember when Frankie tried to sell us on the h5 kraken as a worthy successor?

The Kraken was bad.
Well, a better description may be "completely forgettable".

I won't criticize 343 too much, because for everything they get wrong, they also get a lot right.

Halo 4 (on a tight development schedule and for the very first project) introduced an entire enemy faction, a playable pelican, the Broadsword and the trench run, Spartan Ops and the concept of new missions to play each week.

Halo 5 added 2-3 enemy types (Promethean soldiers, the Warden, as well as the Grunt Mecha), had a couple of nice setpieces like the elevator or riding the Gardian, introduced Breakout and Warzone.

I just wish they would keep on trying, because while flawed, all of these things could be great if refined. For Infinite they seem to have scrapped anything they tried to do on their own, and are falling a bit too much on the "known territory" for nostalgia.

We're less than two months from launch, and I still haven't seen a new vehicle (does the Razorback really count as new?), or a new enemy.

The gun and equipment novelty and variety is amazing, though. It might just not be enough to make a 10-hours campaign compelling for my taste.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The Kraken was bad.
Well, a better description may be "completely forgettable".

I won't criticize 343 too much, because for everything they get wrong, they also get a lot right.

Halo 4 (on a tight development schedule and for the very first project) introduced an entire enemy faction, a playable pelican, the Broadsword and the trench run, Spartan Ops and the concept of new missions to play each week.

Halo 5 added 2-3 enemy types (Promethean soldiers, the Warden, as well as the Grunt Mecha), had a couple of nice setpieces like the elevator or riding the Gardian, introduced Breakout and Warzone.

I just wish they would keep on trying, because while flawed, all of these things could be great if refined. For Infinite they seem to have scrapped anything they tried to do on their own, and are falling a bit too much on the "known territory" for nostalgia.

We're less than two months from launch, and I still haven't seen a new vehicle (does the Razorback really count as new?), or a new enemy.

The gun and equipment novelty and variety is amazing, though. It might just not be enough to make a 10-hours campaign compelling for my taste.

your list of things they got right reads like a recollection of low quality additions that did more to push people away from the series than bring them in.

This nostalgia trip is the best thing to happen to Halo since 343 took over. And they seem to have added new things the franchise that actually fit fell into the established frame work.

i have no idea how the campaign will turn out, but if it's not great, I dont think it will be because they neglected to experiment.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The kraken was absolutely fine, in fact I'd say it was actually quite a fun bit of level design.

However, it was nothing like a scarab and should never have compared to it.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The kraken was absolutely fine, in fact I'd say it was actually quite a fun bit of level design.

However, it was nothing like a scarab and should never have compared to it though.

I agree with this. The Kraken was a cool set piece and made for at least a somewhat interesting engagement. Its biggest flaw was that unlike the scarab battles, it wasn't remotely dynamic. IIRC, it didn't even move when you fought on it like at least H2's scarab did.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

However, it was nothing like a scarab and should never have compared to it.

I'd say it was perfectly fine. It wasn't a bad level by any means… but it played like just another level.

Rather than scarab encounters, the Kraken level actually reminds me more of the Halo 2 level where you're Arbiter hunting down the heretic- the dynamism is more illusion than reality.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I never even thought about Scarab returning

Fake, you were pretty hyped when I mentioned the Halo Wars 2 Scarab making an (I hope) apparition in Halo Infinite 2 days ago when playing B4B. 😌

a playable pelican, the Broadsword

Which were both already a playable thing in Halo Reach, not so much on the brand new side if you ask me.

For Infinite they seem to have scrapped anything they tried to do on their own, and are falling a bit too much on the "known territory" for nostalgia.

I would rather have them playing it safe this time. On the weapon side, they actually went for a nice new trajectory compared to their previous Halo emulating human weapons with an alien design.

Honestly, if I could erase Halo 4 and Halo 5 from existence, I would, without ever turning back. There's nothing from the 343 Era I'd keep. They had their "own" vision of Halo, and what a terrible vision it was. Hope they were truly passionate when doing those games, but I'm glad they are stepping back and playing it safer this time.

Well, I'll be nicer, maybe I would keep Halo Wars 2 and the Sticky Detonator.

Actually, the Sticky Detonator would have make for a very fine addition in Infinite, especially for Competitive as this weapon had a radar included, and the Competitive settings don't.

It always amazed me how The Coalition did everything 343 should have done. Creating Gears 4 by re-creating the past Gears almost 1:1 to get accustomed to the game and its rule, then growing on it with Gears 5.

That said, I'll always give them a good point for Spartan Ops. It wasn't perfect, but it was a interesting path to take, and probably, the first "GaaS" like content we ever saw on console.

-------

Regarding the campaign, I truly truly hope they don't reveal anything new. For once that we would be able to jump blind into a Halo game and have a real sense of surprise, please, keep that.

Make dynamic and incredible trailers with Multiplayer, put one very cool music and a cinematic of Chief from the first campaign level and call it a day.

I'm already sold on this campaign that it will be better than anything in Halo 4 and Halo 5, probably on the level of ODST, my second favorite Halo game, and that's enough for me to be happy.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. The Kraken was a cool set piece and made for at least a somewhat interesting engagement. Its biggest flaw was that unlike the scarab battles, it wasn't remotely dynamic. IIRC, it didn't even move when you fought on it like at least H2's scarab did.

I wouldn't even call that a flaw - the vast majority of level design isn't dynamic. The kraken was just some standard level geometry in the same shape as the vehicle thing we saw walking around earlier in the level.

Separating the design of the set piece from the expectations and it's actually pretty cool - there aren't that many moments in the Halo series where you have to assault a base from the air.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
your list of things they got right reads like a recollection of low quality additions that did more to push people away from the series than bring them in.

I mean, I don't think these things are exactly what pushed people away. A lot of factors contribute to how the game feels, looks, sounds.

I choose to see how things could be, because things sometimes need to be iterated upon before reaching their true potential.

Spartan Ops was bad, but not because of its concept in itself, but because the missions were too long and repetitive, barely surprising for the first half. I'd love to have in 2022 some more coop missions to play, maybe each month for six months or something. Create a narrative, an expectation. They pulled off something in 4, that could be so much better ten years later, with a bigger budget, a bigger team and a much larger pool of players through Game Pass.

Each exemple I've given is the same thing. Maybe it wasn't so great, maybe it wasn't that well-designed, but you could tell they actually tried to go for something new.

Except for the grapple hook, I'm not seeing it here.

Promethean enemies might be less interesting and well-designed than the Covenant, that's true, of course, but I still prefer to have them than not, to have some variety. Also, they actually went and refined the Prometheans in 5, who says they cannot refine them even further?

Like I always say, people don't realize that one reason the Dark Souls series is so great is its variety in enemy types. When you create 30+ enemies and bosses in a single game, You're going to have some awful stuff, sure, but you're also going to find 9-10 truely special. And in general, things will stay fresh anyway. Of course Halo doesn't need that much, but only Hunters, Grunts, Elites, Jackals, Brutes and sentinels is too little in 2021 for a Halo game.

And I know, some people are sick of hearing this, clearly, here and in the Xbox thread, but hey, Halo is a passion for me, and less than two months before launch, we're still in the dark on a lot of aspects, we're still waiting to see more, that's not my fault - I like mystery, they don't have to show a lot, but do give us something, one thing to prove to people that your game really is bigger than the demo last year showed. The multiplayer has clearly been appealing to a large audience, but on the other side Xbox is charging 60 dollars, for a game they have showed two cutscenes of, and one gameplay demo a year and a half ago. It's not a question of "being scared about the game", it's just a question of "well, seeing so little ahead of launch is unprecedented, no matter how people try to spin it". It might be good in the end, it might be a huge success, but as far as where we are in time before a release, it's a strange marketing process that's clearly getting people to question the game.

Fake, you were pretty hyped when I mentioned the Halo Wars 2 Scarab making an (I hope) apparition in Halo Infinite 2 days ago when playing B4B. 😌

Yeah you made me think of it, but since someone just mentioned it here, I jumped on the occasion to talk about it haha.

Which were both already a playable thing in Halo Reach, not so much on the brand new side if you ask me.

I mean, playing the Pelican in Reach is a nice little easter egg, but that's not exactly the way it's meant to be seen and played by the general public, and it's not as refined, compared to that level in 4 (which is an awful level, but again, I'm not sure it's really the Pelican's fault in itself - the towers are boring, repetitive, mostly, and the open section is less interesting and engaging than New Alexandria in Reach).

The Broadsword is also entirely different to control than the Sabre, and as a result the set piece is totally different. One is a dog fight where you move slowly, the other is mostly an great-looking obstacle course ending with a poor fight.

In reality, I wish we could get both. I think the Reach dog fight sequences are amazing, and they could also have a trench run between them for variety. I'm just asking for more tools, more toys for the sandbox.

Until we see more (later this week?) this will ne my final words on the subject:

The Infinite gameplay is so good, that I hope we get enough variety for it to really shine.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't think these things are exactly what pushed people away. A lot of factors contribute to how the game feels, looks, sounds.

I choose to see how things could be, because things sometimes need to be iterated upon before reaching their true potential.

Spartan Ops was bad, but not because of its concept in itself, but because the missions were too long and repetitive, barely surprising for the first half. I'd love to have in 2022 some more coop missions to play, maybe each month for six months or something. Create a narrative, an expectation. They pulled off something in 4, that could be so much better ten years later, with a bigger budget, a bigger team and a much larger pool of players through Game Pass.

Each exemple I've given is the same thing. Maybe it wasn't so great, maybe it wasn't that well-designed, but you could tell they actually tried to go for something new.

Except for the grapple hook, I'm not seeing it here.

Promethean enemies might be less interesting and well-designed than the Covenant, that's true, of course, but I still prefer to have them than not, to have some variety. Also, they actually went and refined the Prometheans in 5, who says they cannot refine them even further?

Like I always say, people don't realize that one reason the Dark Souls series is so great is its variety in enemy types. When you create 30+ enemies and bosses in a single game, You're going to have some awful stuff, sure, but you're also going to find 9-10 truely special. And in general, things will stay fresh anyway. Of course Halo doesn't need that much, but only Hunters, Grunts, Elites, Jackals, Brutes and sentinels is too little in 2021 for a Halo game.

And I know, some people are sick of hearing this, clearly, here and in the Xbox thread, but hey, Halo is a passion for me, and less than two months before launch, we're still in the dark on a lot of aspects, we're still waiting to see more, that's not my fault - I like mystery, they don't have to show a lot, but do give us something, one thing to prove to people that your game really is bigger than the demo last year showed. The multiplayer has clearly been appealing to a large audience, but on the other side Xbox is charging 60 dollars, for a game they have showed two cutscenes of, and one gameplay demo a year and a half ago. It's not a question of "being scared about the game", it's just a question of "well, seeing so little ahead of launch is unprecedented, no matter how people try to spin it". It might be good in the end, it might be a huge success, but as far as where we are in time before a release, it's a strange marketing process that's clearly getting people to question the game.

The way I see it, is we got new things that were bad instead of new things that were good.

Halo 4 could have gotten an excellent firefight. Or it could have gotten a good spartan ops. Instead Halo 4 was a bad outting for pve so surely people who were into that sort of thing would have been turned away.

instead of Prometheans, we could have gotten new enemies that were actually fun to fight. Or new takes on existing enemies that amount to an improvement. Simply having Variety isn't an example of something they got right if the new additions aren't good. I'd love some new enemy types… I don't think people are against new enemies in principle, people are against poor execution. For all we know Infinite may have new enemies that simply haven't been spoiled yet. if it pans out this way, that would be awesome.

as far as expanding on actual good ideas, I think they've done that with Halo Infinite. First of all, the old Halo's were a good idea, so it makes a ton of sense to look back at what those games did well when trying to make this sequel. Beyond that 343s take on equipment is 1000x better than Bungie's ever was- not just the grapple hook, but in how it's all implemented in modular way that fits soundly into the sandbox. It sounds like the spirit of Spartan Ops might live on in the way the campaign is delivered. The spirit of conflict escalation from domination and warzone is being integrated into BTB, but without all of the unfairness. Forge looks like it's getting another steroid dose.

Yes the game is playing to nostalgia, but they aren't resting on their laurels.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
From the Xbox Anniversary Celebration announcement:

The Master Chief returns on Dec. 8 with Halo Infinite. This is the Halo we imagined 20 years ago, finally come to life in the largest Halo game we have ever made. Halo Infinite will be available in Game Pass when it launches across Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC. Game Pass Ultimate members will also receive monthly multiplayer bonuses as part of the Perks program.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I could see Season 1 being free for campaign buyers and then MP unlocks being tied to some campaign achievements or acomplishments.
I doubt they'll make season 1 free but a handful of unlocks should be given. They should absolutely give campaign owners a good amount of armor coatings.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I'm hoping Infinite is packing Scarabs and possibly some new titans. It'd be great to find them as a surprise in the world.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sure, but it's great if you like those five variants of Sandbox!

Mmm, gritty

I played five games of BTB just recently. Three were on Avalanche. Don't get me wrong, Avalanche is a good map but FFS. They might as well just call this game MCC: Halo 3 Collection. I know people are already going to say, "but Forerunner you can unselect H3!" Yet when you do that your que times go through the roof and there are other H3 maps I would like to play. I just get sick of playing the same maps nonstop.

I actually had one of my favorite sessions in recent memory last night in 4v4. It started with the Longest in CE, then SWAT on Countdown in Reach and it ended with Impact for H4. That is how it should be. Not playing that same maps until the end of time.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I played five games of BTB just recently. Three were on Avalanche. Don't get me wrong, Avalanche is a good map but FFS. They might as well just call this game MCC: Halo 3 Collection. I know people are already going to say, "but Forerunner you can unselect H3!" Yet when you do that your que times go through the roof and there are other H3 maps I would like to play. I just get sick of playing the same maps nonstop.

I actually had one of my favorite sessions in recent memory last night in 4v4. It started with the Longest in CE, then SWAT on Countdown in Reach and it ended with Impact for H4. That is how it should be. Not playing that same maps until the end of time.

Why don't you use the Custom Game Browser? There're plenty of dedicated BTB servers with great maps selection. I played incredible games on both Halo CE and Halo 3 thanks to it.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
uuh so I am playing through the awakening the nightmare DLC and… the first two missions are already better than the entire main singleplayer campaign in terms of mission design and ya know.. actual tension.

Wild.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they've already announced that season 1 will be free to everyone.
They've specifically called out the Samurai armor as an item you could earn for free during the Reach season it would be strange to specify that item as free if all of season one is free anyway.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
They've specifically called out the Samurai armor as an item you could earn for free during the Reach season it would be strange to specify that item as free if all of season one is free anyway.

The samurai armor is part of a Fractures event, which part of the season but not the actual season pass.

Basically who knows at this point what comes with what.