• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who doesn't have an agenda honestly can't say that last year's Infinite reveal is somehow comparable to Forbidden West. Graphically Horizon is just miles ahead. Is that pic from your Twitter console wars account?

I wouldn't really use the word stunning, but imo the new Halo footage looks good and much better than the original reveal. I just don't understand why some Xbox fans have the absolute need to make everyone agree that it's somehow the best looking game there is, when clearly it's not. There's already better looking XB1/PS4 games that have similar wide open areas.

Halo hasn't really had the absolute best graphics in the industry in a long, long time and in other areas the more recent releases have been okay at best. Infinite will look better than any Halo game before it, and almost certainly it will also be one of the best Halo games released thus far.
I don't see that statement being thrown around by xbox fans at all. Halo Infinite imo does look stunning. That doesn't mean it's the best looking game of all time and it doesn't have to be.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Anyone who doesn't have an agenda honestly can't say that last year's Infinite reveal is somehow comparable to Forbidden West. Graphically Horizon is just miles ahead. Is that pic from your Twitter console wars account?

I wouldn't really use the word stunning, but imo the new Halo footage looks good and much better than the original reveal. I just don't understand why some Xbox fans have the absolute need to make everyone agree that it's somehow the best looking game there is, when clearly it's not. There's already better looking XB1/PS4 games that have similar wide open areas.

Halo hasn't really had the absolute best graphics in the industry in a long, long time and in other areas the more recent releases have been okay at best. Infinite will look better than any Halo game before it, and almost certainly it will also be one of the best Halo games released thus far.

Halo is 120HZ, is Horizon?

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Open world, 60 fps to 120 fps frame rate targets, and a need to run on the base XB1. You do need to keep these considerations in mind. Also judging high fps games by screenshots unfortunately does not highlight the advantages that a high fps approach offers.

Don't know what this post means .. but point being that halo is using an engine, and goal, to allow for 120fps. That's going to compromise on the final image quality in preference for performance regardless of provided options. It's impressive, and while other games may exceed the IQ of Halo at lower fps - even 60 - it's still have the performance and response rate.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Don't know what this post means .. but point being that halo is using an engine, and goal, to allow for 120fps. That's going to compromise on the final image quality in preference for performance regardless of provided options. It's impressive, and while other games may exceed the IQ of Halo at lower fps - even 60 - it's still have the performance and response rate.

Mind expanding?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It looks better. But I still think it looks pretty underwhelming for a tentpole franchise. Regardless of the resolution and framerate it's running at...but I want to see some actual like for like gameplay to make a final judgement...

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Scuffing up the materials makes a huge difference, that's for sure. Really excited to see how the PC settings shape up (because if there's one franchise that could benefit from robust raytraced reflections, it's Halo).

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
It looks better. But I still think it looks pretty underwhelming for a tentpole franchise. Regardless of the resolution and framerate it's running at...but I want to see some actual like for like gameplay to make a final judgement...
We've already seen a lot of direct-feed MP footage, and it looks amazing:

Now consider that all Halo Campaigns in the last 20 years looked much better compared their respective MP. ;)

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Those are all in-engine screenshots lol

There are PS4 and Xbox One games that alreay look way better than this:

7inum1t.png

At 4k/60? I'm going to need to see those receipts dude.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Infinite's MP might be the first online FPS Mp I've touched in years. Just looks so good.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
We've already seen a lot of direct-feed MP footage, and it looks amazing:

Now consider that all Halo Campaigns in the last 20 years looked much better compared their respective MP. ;)
This looks as good as any last Gen big budget MP game. Just boot up battlefield 5 .

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
I can't say how much I love how crisp it looks, just perfect, maybe it doesn't have the wow effect of other games, but for a Halo MP game I can't think of anymore needed improvement... I look at the images and I see a match in my head and enjoying it... I need a this Halo MP in my veins

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The heck is actually "groundbreaking" next gen that everyone keeps rabbiting on about then? I still have yet to see any game that isn't just higher fidelity models with some better lighting, more in-depth foliage and unique scenarios of "realistic" facial work. There are still drawbacks, like any gen, but I believe the real next gen comes from SSD's, higher fps, more modality in UI/controllers and stronger hardware for future proofing concepts. Halo Infinite looks fantastic, stunning in certain light settings, and most definitely showcasing the power of next-gen through high FPS MP/campaign plus local co-op campaign.

Really, opinions will vary dependent on tastes, so there is no reason to get annoyed at someone stating a thing is stunning or isn't. Much like my opinion is worth nothing to others but something to me.
This looks as good as any last Gen big budget MP game. Just boot up battlefield 5 .
And it won't, just like many other next-gen only (or even cross-gen) titles because the actual visual increase is minimal in comparison to the backend improvements.

NJ@Xbox

May 10, 2021
Halo 4 was one of the best looking games on Xbox 360, almost felt like an early Xbox One title. 343i definitely knows how to make a good looking game.

When Halo Infinite has its first campaign expansion, it will be next gen only and fully ray traced with all bells and whistles. So nothing to worry there.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really, opinions will vary dependent on tastes, so there is no reason to get annoyed at someone stating a thing is stunning or isn't. Much like my opinion is worth nothing to others but something to me.

I wasn't getting annoyed 🤔 in fact it seems you're the only one who is?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This could be the second coming of Christ and people would still downplay it.
Give me that 60/120 frames goodness and I'll be there on Gamepass.

people are probably sitting here comparing it to games in totally different genres as if that's even a fair comparison.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Console wars, history of similar behavior
Ehhh, definitely looks very last gen. Doesn't wow like other next gen exclusives like Demon's, Ratchet, and even Returnal.

being open-worldish and being held back by Xbox One probably doesn't help.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This could be the second coming of Christ and people would still downplay it.
Give me that 60/120 frames goodness and I'll be there on Gamepass.

people are probably sitting here comparing it to games in totally different genres as if that's even a fair comparison.
People simply saying that this doesn't look "stunning". Sorry if this upsets you. Many here are still saying it looks good.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Coming off of Halo 5, Infinite looks insane.

The part where Chief throws the fusion coil is my favorite. The yellow lighting surrounding the scene is beautiful.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
People don't understand the following when critiquing Infinite's graphics:

- It's 60 FPS. There's no 30 FPS quality mode, folks. That's half the rendering power right there

- It needs to be able to utilize split-screen, that's half the power again

- It needs to run on an Xbox One

- The scale and verticality is insane. You can take a Banshee and fly up really high and far

People can think it looks great and that acknowledge that it's technically impressive....

That does not mean that they would describe the game as stunning from a visual perspective.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
People simply saying that this doesn't look "stunning". Sorry if this upsets you. Many here are still saying it looks good.
The fact that you think it upsets me tells me everything I need to know. My dog dying upset me, an opinion on the internet about video games of all things does not.
People can think it looks great and that acknowledge that it's technically impressive....

That does not mean that they would describe the game as stunning from a visual perspective.
It's probably just not stunning to your standards of games that are not doing what this games is doing.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I get why people dont call it stunning (i think it looks fine for what it is supposed to be but I dont think it is the highest level of next gen visuals for sure) but then the same folks praise Demons and Returnal as stunning and I cant even... those games will run fine on last gen machines (infact a thread from yesterday had proof that Demons started life on the PS4) when it comes to visuals with the same compromises you would expect are being made for Infinite

Art design and bright popping colors are not the same as next gen visuals

ratchet, now that is a stunning game

SodapopVII

Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh, definitely looks very last gen. Doesn't wow like other next gen exclusives like Demon's, Ratchet, and even Returnal.

being open-worldish and being held back by Xbox One probably doesn't help.

I just finished up playing Returnal on a C9 and as fantastic a game as it is, I would not say it looks better than Halo Infinite... you take away the fancy particle effects and a lot of the basic things like texture work, animations and image quality are all just 'okay to good'.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
It looks okay for what it needs to achieve. Will not blow anyone away, but i have faith the gameplay wil be really good. Im more worried by the open-world design and if they can pull it of without getting to boring or a lot of open spaces with nothing.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
ratchet, now that is a stunning game
Ratchet is also stunning but can't be directly compared to Infinite as we're talking about a mostly scripted and linear action game vs an Open World sandbox FPS with many AI enemies, allies and vehicles on screen + 4K/30 vs 4K/60 targets on top of that.

The reality is that both games are stunning in their respective genre and achievements.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
eh, it looks better and it doesn't look bad in general.
But i'd say among the FPS shown during MS conference (Battlefield, Stalker, Atomic Heart, even Far Cry 6) it definitely was the weakest.

Oct 31, 2017
The graphics look functional to me. I think games like Star Wars Battlefront 2 and battlefield V look better running on last gen consoles.

The push for 120Hz and open maps have definitely hurt the visuals. It doesn't look next gen visually to me and looks pretty bad when you put it up against games like Stalker 2 and Battlefield 2042.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Looks amazing for a Halo game. That's really all that can be said because there are no other games like Halo out there. Drawing comparisons with other games is foolish and disingenuous.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
The graphics look functional to me. I think games like Star Wars Battlefront 2 and battlefield V look better running on last gen consoles.

The push for 120Hz and open maps have definitely hurt the visuals. It doesn't look next gen visually to me and looks pretty bad when you put it up against games like Stalker 2 and Battlefield 2042.
Stalker 2 looks amazing, but it's based on UE4 which is known to not handle big open world environments or large scale combat so well, but we'll see.
BF2024 also looks great considering the new 128 players maps, but we're not that far from maxed out BF4 @4K/60 visually (at least on Series X)...

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ratchet is also stunning but can't be directly compared to Infinite as we're talking about a mostly scripted and linear action game vs an Open World sandbox FPS with many AI enemies, allies and vehicles on screen + 4K/30 vs 4K/60 targets on top of that.

The reality is that both games are stunning in their respective genre and achievements.

Ratchet does not feature mostly scripted and linear world design. In-fact most of the planets offer an incredible amount of scale, so much so that in some of them you even have the equivalent of vehicles (free flight on mini dragons, hover boots, speed slugs etc).

Often the worlds are so large, you can reach things that are far into the distance, as far as the eye can see. There's also segments where these worlds are populated by an insane number of enemies, all with their own unique AI.

Further to that point, is Halo Infinite actually confirmed to be open world? Because as far as I understood, it's actually supposed to be closer to Ratchet in design, eg not exactly open world, but with massive open world style levels?

Last edited:

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Just wanted to say I think "stunning" is a bit hyperbolic but I do think the game looks quite good. I think 343 is doing a great job of offering a premium looking game even if it doesn't push any graphical boundaries. It looks like a generational leap up from Halo 5, and really that's all it needed to be.

Also, I think a lot of people in here are overlooking the fact that 343 are trying to make the game as accessible to as many people as possible. I think that's going to be the most impressive aspect of the game, is it's scalability and optimizations for PC... but I admit that's an assumption built on statements from the devs.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing for a Halo game. That's really all that can be said because there are no other games like Halo out there. Drawing comparisons with other games is foolish and disingenuous.

Yup, the comparisons are getting ridiculous. Let alone the arguments that are going as far as saying Ratchet looks stunning by comparison which I don't see how? It's a stunning looking game in it's own right, but it doesn't look any better on a technical level due to it's art style. The same can also be said for Halo Infinite, it's stunning for what it is going for with it's own engine and art style but it's not the most technically impressive game visually either.

Multiple games can be stunning visually at the same time.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet does not feature mostly scripted and linear world design. In-fact most of the planets offer an incredible amount of scale, so much so that in some of them you even have the equivalent of vehicles (free flight on mini dragons and ground traversal via speed slugs).

Often the worlds are so large, you can reach things that are far into the distance, as far as the eye can see. There's also segments where these worlds are populated by an insane number of enemies, all with their own unique AI.

Further to that point, is Halo Infinite actually confirmed to be open world? Because as far as I understood, it's actually supposed to be closer to Ratchet in design, eg not exactly open world, but with massive open world style levels?
Yeah, they are tempering the expectations that its true open world.

It is not Red Dead Redemption, it is more like open world SECTIONS. There's a set of activities/missions/side missions you can do in this one big area. After you clear the important story ones there is likely a trigger to move to the next area. If anything its probably a beefed up version of what Gears of War did.

Ratchet is probably the most technically impressive game I saw so far, but its also next gen only.

Another thing to note about Halo's graphical decisions is that they don't have pre-baked lighting. Ratchet levels don't have real time time of day changed do they? Pre-baked lighting is basically a cheat code to making a game look good.