• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

Direct-feed footage from the Switch version. Low render resolution is essentially confirmed at this point, and this is another example of why you can't always trust the "it looks good" early impressions from people. Looks like the entire game is running at a lower resolution at all times too, including HUD elements, character portraits, dialog boxes, etc. All in all it looks really rough compared to the PC version.

What was going to be a Day 1 purchase for me is now most likely not gonna happen at any point barring some kind of miracle patch.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017

Direct-feed footage from the Switch version. Low render resolution is essentially confirmed at this point, and this is another example of why you can't always trust the "it looks good" early impressions from people. Looks like the entire game is running at a lower resolution at all times too, including HUD elements, character portraits, dialog boxes, etc. All in all it looks really rough compared to the PC version.

What was going to be a Day 1 purchase for me is now most likely not gonna happen at any point barring some kind of miracle patch.

Maybe this is an issue in docked mode, but for handheld mode I think it looks and runs fine.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, of course it looks worse than the PC version. Considering it runs at 60fps on Switch, I think this port is actually pretty damn great. Good on Supergiant for prioritizing the right things. This is what I want to see on Switch. I also expect lots of updates from the dev over time. These guys really care about their craft.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, of course it looks worse than the PC version. Considering it runs at 60fps on Switch, I think this port is actually pretty damn great. Good on Supergiant for prioritizing the right things.
I agree that prioritizing 60fps was the right call, but it's just a shame that the Switch couldn't handle this game at native res. That image quality is just not acceptable to me, so sadly I'm gonna have to live without a portable version of Hades now. I was so looking forward to this release and fully intended to double-dip.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

I watched this video on a 24" PC monitor and it looks perfectly fine IMO ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DaVeed

Banned
Jun 21, 2020
Yup, that looks fine to me as well, although I don't really have high expectations for Switch games to begin with.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Played a bit more. It looks sharp on handheld, but not great on my OLED. But then very few Switch games do. Plays great. Recommended.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Just ran through it and got to the new content. Very cool.

Surprised to see talk of lower resolution on switch considering the game is all pre-rendered sprites.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
looking at the video... it looks fine, especially for portable. yes, it's lower resolution but the screen is four inches big. hell, the youtube window on my monitor is bigger than my switches screen and i didnt really see any issues at that scale. docked, however.. yeah, maybe don't if you're really delicate about that stuff

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

But this looks fine?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Switch resolution is disappointing, especially as it's the only non-PC platform available. Would gladly have picked it up on Xbox or PS, I almost exclusively play my Switch docked anyway.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe an optional post-processing, sharpening filter could clean the image up a bit on Switch? Supergiant will be updating the game anyway, so maybe they'll be able to squeeze some more performance out of the system over time.

(Haven't actually played the game on NSW. Just looked at some footage and read the response here.)

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not an expert on this sort of thing, so if you're super sensitive to resolution, don't listen to me.

but i think it looks really good handheld. i can see how it could be a bit clearer maybe, but not by much? maybe i'm blind.

i've played far worse looking games, resolution wise (xenoblade).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the game is #4 in opencritic's 2020 hall of fame

screenshot2020-09-17aehjv3.png

Oct 27, 2017
fwiw, the video that ScOULaris posted *is* indicative of how it looks to me in person. if that's not your cup of tea, yeah, this game is off the table for you for sure (until they maybe push out an update or two?).

i'm perfectly fine with it, but to each their own.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Yep. That resolution is simply too low for me to buy this version. It's such a shame because it's "perfect for Switch," as they say. I'm so sad.
Ultimately I don't care that much about docked, but it remains to be seen if the game is actually 720p handheld or not. Would love a confirmation and a performance review.

Jun 13, 2019

Hmm, I'm a bit surprised that the UI also doesn't look to be rendering at native resolution and the channel logo splashed at the start exhibits artifacting as well? I'm inclined to think the videos we've got so far are a bit too compressed to tell at the very least

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately I don't care that much about docked, but it remains to be seen if the game is actually 720p handheld or not. Would love a confirmation and a performance review.
Seems very unlikely since in docked it appears to be rendering at sub-720p.

Although I'd like to reiterate that I'm basing these impressions purely on the four or so videos of direct-feed gameplay that I've found online. At first I wanted to chalk it up to video compression, but it looks the same across every video I've seen so far.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Played about 30 min each in handheld and docked. Handheld looks great. Docked is a little blurry at times, but overall I think it looks good. If you're sitting close to your tv then it's probably noticeable, but it's not enough that it bothers me personally. I'm sitting 6 or 7 feet away and using a 55" Sony x900 tv FWIW. Also I think it does look better than it does in that video review up above for sure. Framerate has been solid in both docked and handheld so far as well.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm not an expert on this sort of thing, so if you're super sensitive to resolution, don't listen to me.

but i think it looks really good handheld. i can see how it could be a bit clearer maybe, but not by much? maybe i'm blind.

i've played far worse looking games, resolution wise (xenoblade).

This and its portable which i prefer above some not that notable (to me) lower res

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
hell, even Bastion has a "soft" look portable and that game is 567 years old, still looked gorgeous tho. So did Ori (the first one, I havent tried the second), also still looked gorgeous. And I'm someone that has recently been super bothered by low res portable games (Yonder The Cloud Catcher Chronicles absolutely broke me it was THAT blurry, and then I ended up playing Darksiders in 30fps because the performance mode was also super blurry).

But I guess I'll try for myself and check back in.

edit: looks gorgeous early on, runs amazing. Can't speak for docked, I don't do docked.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so Hades is amazing. The amount of things it gets right for what a roguelike should be...I mean, its all the things. It gets everything right.