Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Played an hour or so in handheld last night, loving it already.

I'm probably not that sensitive to it but res seemed fine, and barely any slowdowns, still early game though ofc.
Cool, will get.

This is what I mean when I say Switch games are not really made with handheld play in mind, by the way. Games are often just made for the big screen and just ported to Switch without any changes:

Same reason I don't like BotW, Fire Emblem, Diablo, Dragon Quest 11 for example in handheld mode. They feel awkward, the camera feels too distant, everything on screen appears too small, including text size. These are dedicated home entertainment system games simply ported to a tiny handheld screen.

One of the very few games that feel just right in handheld mode is Animal Crossing. Here everything is big, bright and chunky, including UI, text boxes & font.

*Now it's even more correct :)

Yeah text size is definitely one of my pet peeves about handheld play, and it sadly applies here too.

Last edited:

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

Direct-feed footage from the Switch version. Low render resolution is essentially confirmed at this point, and this is another example of why you can't always trust the "it looks good" early impressions from people. Looks like the entire game is running at a lower resolution at all times too, including HUD elements, character portraits, dialog boxes, etc. All in all it looks really rough compared to the PC version.

What was going to be a Day 1 purchase for me is now most likely not gonna happen at any point barring some kind of miracle patch.

Oh yeah, this looks bad. I think I'll wait for now. Resolution is not that important to me but this isn't even 1080p and looks blurry to the point where it distracts from the game.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, this looks bad. I think I'll wait for now. Resolution is not that important to me but this isn't even 1080p and looks blurry to the point where it distracts from the game.

Well people that have the game thinks it looks fine, including myself. You really expected 1080p at 60fps on switch?

The game chugs at time on pc too. Why are people so unrealistic?

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I've been playing on switch for about 4 hours, only experienced slowdown 2-3 times.
It's also the good kinda of slowdown, doesn't really feel that bad, makes it feel like slo-mo in the fight and not super choppy.

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried research and did not find answers, is this coming to PS4/Xbox at all?

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Well people that have the game thinks it looks fine, including myself. You really expected 1080p at 60fps on switch?

I just expect a game with decent image quality on a TV screen. But after checking gameplay videos i thought the game looked distractingly blurry, even text and interfaces!

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I tried research and did not find answers, is this coming to PS4/Xbox at all?
They said they have no current plans but hint that it should be like Bastion or Transistor where eventually they landed on mostly everything. My bet is around Q1 of 2021 for xbox and playstation families release.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

I mean... yes? It's a completely 2D game with all pre-rendered sprites. It runs at full speed and resolution on toaster PC's. I'm sure they just ran into some engine-specific bottleneck that couldn't be overcome on Switch, but it was not unrealistic at all to have expected 1080p/60 docked. Even more so considering that it runs at 720p/60 in handheld.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I played for two hours on Switch yesterday both docked and handheld and thought it looked and played great in both. A little bit of slowdown in a fight in the second world. I don't have trouble seeing things on the screen, got to the boss of the second world on my first handheld run. Game is absolutely fantastic too, can't wait to play more!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't.

I've been playing it on my work PC, which is fairly old at this point (3570k, GTX 970) and didn't drop a single frame under 75 for the 8-9ish hours that I played.

Unlock the frame rate and it'll run at like 300 fps with a 970 :')

I haven't seen a single dip in 60+ hours. However, disabling Vsync seems to introduce irregular stuttering on my end (even when the frame rate appears stable), so I've kept it on. Doesn't seem to play nice with Nvidia's fast sync either.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017

If your PC is struggling with this game it's time to upgrade to a dual core.

Not joking, that's the minimum and recommended specs

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing the Switch version on my 55' "4K" LG TV and I didn't notice any blurriness. I'll check again tonight

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Played it for an hour on Switch last night. Beat the first boss. This game is incredible—in gameplay, aesthetics, and humor & heart—and Supergiant might be the most consistently excellent devteam out there.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Played for an hour or so on Switch (docked), then decided to buy the Steam version and play on my laptop (hooked up to a 55" LED TV via HDMI) to see how it compared. For me, it was enough of a difference to warrant starting over and continuing on the PC, despite being someone who generally prefers to play stuff on the Switch. Better resolution, more clarity, less blur, etc. Just a noticeably cleaner, more enjoyable experience overall.

Fwiw, the actual gameplay was perfectly responsive on the Switch, at least through the first boss. And it wasn't a bad experience by any means. I'd just recommend going with PC over Switch if you have both and don't care about playing in handheld mode.

(None of this should be surprising, just throwing in a bit of feedback as a docked Switch user.)

Last edited:

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Switch. Double dipped yesterday for the 1.0 release.

Been playing for hours just fine, game started crashing randomly and 5 min later can't even load my file.
Started a new one and works fine so I'm guessing it just got corrupted af.
Sorry to hear that. Can't give any info since I don't have a Switch.

Oct 2, 2018
Played for an hour or so on Switch (docked), then decided to buy the PC version (hooked up to the TV via HDMI) and try that to see how it compared. For me, it was enough of a difference to warrant starting over and continuing on the PC, despite being someone who generally prefers to play stuff on the Switch. Better resolution, more clarity, less blur, etc. Just a noticeably cleaner, more enjoyable experience overall. This is with a 55" LED, for reference.

(None of this should be surprising, just throwing in a bit of feedback as a docked Switch user.)

Grrr. I had a feeling this was going to be the case. What's the switch's refund policy? :/ :'(

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm usually sensitive to frame rate issues, somewhat less so to resolution ones. To my eyes, this game looks and runs just fine on a TV while the Switch is docked. I'm sure it would look better running on a PC, but I don't have that option for easy couch gaming. Even with a steam link, it's enough of a PITA that I'd rather have the convenience of the switch over the resolution bump, not to mention the option of portability.

The game is absolutely wonderful, it's a steal at the current price.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017

It doesn't.

I've been playing it on my work PC, which is fairly old at this point (3570k, GTX 970) and didn't drop a single frame under 75 for the 8-9ish hours that I played.
It runs great on PC but not flawless. I´ve played it on a 1080Ti for ~60 hours and there are locations and instances where the game stutters and tends to slowdown.
Like I said before: I´m surprised they managed to get it to run this good on Switch. It´s not constant 60 FPS all the time, but for a Switch-port it runs pretty damn well, imo.

Last edited:

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
So I'm a couple of hours in. Fucking love this game so far.

One question about Sisyphus. What does the "healing" option do? It reads like it just kills you. Why would I do that if I can just collect the darkness and die in the next room.

OP
OP
Rodrigues solitaire
Oct 28, 2019

One question about Sisyphus. What does the "healing" option do? It reads like it just kills you. Why would I do that if I can just collect the darkness and die in the next room.

Should probably post this in the OT

www.resetera.com

Hades |OT| Ah Hell, here we go again (Now on Xbox & PlayStation!) OT

Hades is a rogue-like dungeon crawler in which you defy the god of the dead as you hack and slash your way out of the Underworld of Greek myth. We think it combines the best aspects of our previous games, including the fast-paced action of Bastion, the rich atmosphere and depth of Transistor...

Much more active

Madman009

Oct 27, 2017

Its a weird description for sure but he just throws a sandwich at you for heals lol.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Is there any word on cross-save yet? I have it on PC, but I'm not going to pick it up on Switch until cross-save is there

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I'm waiting on cross-save to fire up my PC copy. Does it look/feel any different from Switch? Graphics options?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Already have it on PC, but reeeeally fighting the urge to buy it on Switch. I feel like I've put way more time into roguelikes on Switch than I have on any other non-handheld platform, just because they're so easy to pick up and play in shortish spurts.