• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible and I hope other Era members can experience it for a nice low price. I currently pay $129 a month for the service plus the cable that comes along with it. I'm absolutely thrilled by the performance. I was able to download Destiny 2 while my dad played Battlefield with $0 lag. I love this.

What are your internet speeds, and do you plan to upgrade?

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
my old place had gigabit for $80 a month, new place has me stuck with 400 down, 35 up for $60. I miss my gigabit lol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm absolutely thrilled by the performance. I was able to download Destiny 2 while my dad played Battlefield with $0 lag.

$0 Lag is pretty cheap.

I've got like 15/1.5mbs. That's just about as good as you can get around here for the price. I hate internet in the US.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Spectrum? That's the price I pay currently for a gig too. I don't think the speed is worth the cost. Shame I don't have choices though.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
What isp? $129 just seems way too much for me. I'm on Comcast and have a 175 Mbps connection for only $35, but only because that's new customer pricing so it'll probably go up in a few months. Plus we have that 1tb cap :(

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible and I hope other Era members can experience it for a nice low price. I currently pay $129 a month for the service plus the cable that comes along with it. I'm absolutely thrilled by the performance. I was able to download Destiny 2 while my dad played Battlefield with $0 lag. I love this.

What are your internet speeds, and do you plan to upgrade?
We just got 1g down and 50Mb up a few months ago.

Consistent 850-875 down/50-55Mb up - wifi. 970-1010Mb down/50-55Mb up via Ethernet.

No caps.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spectrum? That's the price I pay currently for a gig too. I don't think the speed is worth the cost. Shame I don't have choices though.
What isp? $129 just seems way too much for me. I'm on Comcast and have a 150mbps connection for only $35, but only because that's new customer pricing so it'll probably go up in a few months. Plus we have that 1tb cap :(

WOW! is the ISP name. I don't believe we have any other provider that can do cheaper in the area i am in.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I had an offer from Cox for 1GB internet for <$100, but I have to pay extra for unlimited data. The service is capped at 1TB a month. Unbelievable.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I have gigabit. Unfortunately only makes gaming bearable in an old house. WiFi signal doesn't travel in here. So I get like 20MB in the basement.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
so now the next thing you'll want is a router that gets you gigabit wifi speeds and you'll soon learn those are harder to come by and decide to run ethernet all over the house to take advantage of gigabit they're your paying for :P

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
*runs speed test *

giphy.gif

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
We have 250 down/30 up for about $35, no data caps. Currently in the process to upgrade it to 400 down/50 up for the same price

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've got gigabit internet as well. It's nice for when a lot of people in the household are doing things simultaneously, but not so good when you realize that nearly every service is capped out at like 20-30 MB/s down regardless of your actual download speeds.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile in Los Angeles, the media capital of Planet Earth, I feel pretty sweet about my 70 Mbps.

Thanks for nothing, Spectrum.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WOW! is the ISP name. I don't believe we have any other provider that can do cheaper in the area i am in.
so now the next thing you'll want is a router that gets you gigabit wifi speeds and you'll soon learn those are harder to come by and decide to run ethernet all over the house to take advantage of gigabit they're your paying for :P

The ISP actually provided a modem/router hybrid that outputs gigabit wifi. Super uneeded but its awesome.

I currently have the following setup which I plan to make changes to.

Modem > Eero Wifi repeater and hub > wifi connectivity
Modem > Google OnHub Router > Ethernet splitter > anything that takes ethernet

Future setup

Modem > Google OnHub Router > Google Wifi and Ethernet splitter > anything that takes ethernet

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I pay $90 for Gigabit with no datacap, from AT&T. I don't really need that much speed, it's nice but I could've done with less.

This is the cheapest plan available here that offers unlimited data though. I had comcast before and was paying the same for like 100down/10up and a 1TB data cap that I almost always passed every month.

Oct 28, 2017
Recently got set up with gigabit internet both upload and download. Feels great to get it for just $70 a month. Had to sign a 1 year contract with AT&T though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got gigabit internet as well. It's nice for when a lot of people in the household are doing things simultaneously, but not so good when you realize that nearly every service is capped out at like 20-30 MB/s down regardless of your actual download speeds.

I'm currently in the midst of creating smarthome where it makes sense, and gigabit not only allows everyone to play games, download, and run the smarthome stuff at the same time, but gives me a massive room for more shit if need be.

Additionally, I work from home, so this will be nice for the the amount of data I'm pulling.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So after reading this thread, I decided to do a quick search of what options I have in my area. There's a fios option offering 500 Mbps up/down for only $40 with no data cap which sounds awesome. Unfortunately, the isp (Frontier) doesn't seem to offer that in my zip code (eventhough the website says otherwise). Other providers offer significantly slower speeds. It looks like Comcast is basically my only option here. They have gigabit but it's also more than $100 a month and that still includes a data cap, unless you pay an extra $50 or something lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So after reading this thread, I decided to do a quick search of what options I have in my area. There's a fios option offering 500 Mbps up/down for only $40 with no data cap which sounds awesome. Unfortunately, the isp (Frontier) doesn't seem to offer that in my zip code (eventhough the website says otherwise). Other providers offer significantly slower speeds. It looks like Comcast is basically my only option here. They have gigabit but it's also more than $100 a month and that still includes a data cap, unless you pay an extra $50 or something lol.

FUCK DATA CAPS

FREE HONG KONG.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
0 lag while downloading or uploading is achievable without investing in 1 gbps internet. Getting a router that supports QOS like fq_codel works wonders.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I have Comcast 1gb and it's nice for 90$ since I don't do much tv. But I'm getting ready to move into a house and my only option there is Hotwire which I know nothing of but they do offer 1gb

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Gigabit sounds amazing, but I'm pretty sure once it's available in my area it'll still come with a 1tb cap, which kind of tempers my excitement.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I pay $115 which is about $76 USD for unlimited. It's 100/100 Mbps. The speed vary depending on service used. Never seen any of the download or upload speeds hit that limit though. Most times, it's around 4 MB/s. Plan to switch in November when my Plan expires to 900/450 Mbps Unlimited for $120.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Currently paying $91 for 400/20 in Southern California because that makes sense....

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Internet has Gig speeds for $40-50 a month, comes with a phone service as well.

I have Sonic Internet.... I pay $50 a month for 13mb speed.

So yeah.. my area in SF STILL doesn't have Gig speed, but some a few blocks away might he paying the same price for gig worth more speed.

Anyway for big downloads I free load off my cousin's Xfinity. 25mbs fuck yeah!

Edit-don't get me wrong, Sonic's service is GREAT..never really have issues. Been with them for close to 10years I think.