• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Era allows media embedding of TradingView, it's just a matter of putting in the right symbol.

Data is pulled from https://www.tradingview.com/chart/?symbol=BITSTAMP:BTCUSD

Code is the following, just replacing () with [] :
(MEDIA=TradingView)symbol=BITSTAMP%3ABTCUSD(/MEDIA)

hack-the-planet.gif

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
What kills me too is that all those transactions cost energy.

So people fighting it going down are using a shit ton of energy for fucking nothing

Oct 25, 2017
Real people with poor finances will suffer because of this. It's not a time to celebrate. You can celebrate BTC falling in price but not the losses of desperate people.

I am personally buying more ETH right now so the cheap prices are good for me (and my finances are healthy) but I lament the poor people who will be financially crippled by this drop. Perhaps some of you don't personally know any decent people who bought crypto that you can feel sorry for, but they do exist.

Did you celebrate when you saw the banks going bust in 2008?

You are criticizing people for saying things about a people in bad situation.

Simultaneously, you are actively "buying the dip" to take advantage of people in a bad situation.

(Also if you keep buying into obvious scams then you finances might not stay healthy for much longer.)

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of nowhere my day has suddenly gotten way more entertaining. Sorry for those left holding the bag, but someone has to.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Friend of mine invested a not-so-small amount into crypto and told me to do the same. I'm glad the worst I'll lose is $150 (extra money I had at the time). I do feel bad for the people who jumped in on a trend and are paying for it now.

But shaming people for just saying the obvious out loud while also simultaneously feeding into the problem isn't a really solid foundation of a counterpoint.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, the networks cannot process this many transactions at the speed necessary, so trading occurs off the blockchain on private networks.

I always enjoy the problems and issues of crypto being dealt with in ways that are often antithetical to the crypto crowd. Got crypto lying around? Stick it in a large distant centralized business. Technical issues? Deal with them off the block chain. It's a tech that often sucks at most of the stuff it's propped up as being great at.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
ok ok so far so good not an inherently bad position to take

LMAO

Well I can't exactly tell people not to celebrate the loss of poor people and then pretend I am anti-crypto.

I would be a liar if I pretended to be ant-crypto. At the same time I can feel sorry for people losing money.

It's the same with any investment. If you think stocks are cheap you might buy, but you don't make fun of people that lost money. If you thought houses were cheap in 2009 you could have bought and also refrained from mocking people that lost their houses.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Yeah, I decided to finally get out of my BTC. Took my lumps there, gonna put what's left into some index funds. Abiding by the "only invest what you can afford to lose" means its not a terrible hit, but this whole thing is a big yikes.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always enjoy the problems and issues of crypto being dealt with in ways that are often antithetical to the crypto crowd. Got crypto lying around? Stick it in a large distant centralized business. Technical issues? Deal with them off the block chain. It's a tech that often sucks at most of the stuff it's propped up as being great at.

I try to rack my brain to try and figure out what problem blockchain could actually maybe solve that isn't better done by existing systems, and the only thing I can think of is maybe car titles, and then only if the world consolidated into a one world government where everyone was made to use one system for car titles.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Real people with poor finances will suffer because of this. It's not a time to celebrate. You can celebrate BTC falling in price but not the losses of desperate people.

I am personally buying more ETH right now so the cheap prices are good for me (and my finances are healthy) but I lament the poor people who will be financially crippled by this drop. Perhaps some of you don't personally know any decent people who bought crypto that you can feel sorry for, but they do exist.

The faster this dies, the fewer poor people in the future can get scammed into losing their money. I'm sorry to say, but most of these people effectively lost their money a long time ago. This was always where this was headed, and the longer it went on the more people were going to get hurt

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I think 10K is probably the next big floor simply due to it being a round number, but that bit about Celsius liquidating at 13.6k above has got me asking questions.

Regardless, Tether still seems to be holding so I could see BTC bouncing back once all the smoke clears around Celsius (unless the smoke clearing brings down other institutions, which seems like a maybe rn)

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Well I can't exactly tell people not to celebrate the loss of poor people and then pretend I am anti-crypto.

I would be a liar if I pretended to be ant-crypto. At the same time I can feel sorry for people losing money.

It's the same with any investment. If you think stocks are cheap you might buy, but you don't make fun of people that lost money. If you thought houses were cheap in 2009 you could have bought and also refrained from mocking people that lost their houses.

But people like you pushing crypto like it's a normal sound investment opportunity are the reason so many poor people bought into crypto. So you should be admonishing yourself if anyone for your own irresponsible greedy behavior.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

People need houses. Houses are a tangible thing. Techbro funny money is neither.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
To be honest I'm skeptical about the amount of literally poor people who got suckered into crypto investments.

I think there's a ton of people who were generally doing OK who put too much money into it.
Yeah it's clearly part of the playbook.

Shilling and astroturfing has always been like that. The amount of times I've been told I'm a "piece of shit who hates the poor" (importantly: out of fucking nowhere) on forums for daring to be an environmentalist or caring about animals is too damn high. It's always the same.

No surprise the crpyto ponzi destroying the environment creates the same posts from people who are monetarily tied to it.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I'm sorry but it's really hard to take anything you're saying seriously

Why can't you do what others who responded me have done? They agreed with me on not mocking poor people and they opposed me on my pro crypto views? That's sounds more resonable.

BTW I do know crypto is full of scams. I am not denying it. I just think it's good tech and scams all mixed into one big basket and hopefully the scams will die away. This is good: https://www.indiatimes.com/technolo...ely-escape-to-poland-with-bitcoin-565222.html

And yes BTC is bad for the environment and deserves to die. Other better things will come to replace it.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
First time I ever bought crypto was when Paypal was offering a 1:1 return $25 credit, so I thought why not and grabbed a free $25 in Etherium. Within weeks it crashed and lost half its value, which I've watched sit at around $12-14 since.
Checking in again today, it's worth.. less than $4. Yikes.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017

No deposit customer lost money when Wamu or Wachovia failed.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

These "poor people" are losing money precisely because you aren't anti-crypto. Too many supporting a Ponzi scheme that is burning the planet, so that you can try and make a few bucks at the expense of the vulnerable is why so many vulnerable individuals are suffering misery. You are complicit in it, and are still actively promoting it and piling on the misery by proudly boating about "buying the dip".

It's the same with any investment.
Crypto never has been and never will be an investment asset. Gambling or a Ponzi scheme are accurate descriptions, a legitimate investment asset class is not. Anyone promoting it as a legitimate "investment" as you continue to do is complicit in the exploitation.

Agreed. I bought ETH. They are going POS in a few months.

Oh come on now, after half a decade of promising proof of stake is coming "in a few months" what makes you believe this is finally going to happen just at the moment the entire crypto market implodes?

Last edited:

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Simultaneously, you are actively "buying the dip" to take advantage of people in a bad situation.

I know this might sound unlikely but I actually got into crypto some years ago with the intention of giving most of the gains away to good causes. I don't believe in buying expensive cars etc. In fact I consider it immoral.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
These "poor people" are losing money precisely because you aren't anti-crypto. Too many supporting a Ponzi scheme that is burning the planet, so that you can try and make a few bucks at the expense of the vulnerable is why so many vulnerable individuals are suffering misery. You are complicit in it, and are still actively promoting it and piling on the misery by proudly boating about "buying the dip".

I don't know why these lot try to ignore this. They shill for a ponzi scheme that both prays on and creates victims. Anyone involved in crypto is propping up and helping this shit regardless of other motivations.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Why can't you do what others who responded me have done? They agreed with me on not mocking poor people and they opposed me on my pro crypto views? That's sounds more resonable.

BTW I do know crypto is full of scams. I am not denying it. I just think it's good tech and scams all mixed into one big basket and hopefully the scams will die away. This is good: https://www.indiatimes.com/technolo...ely-escape-to-poland-with-bitcoin-565222.html

And yes BTC is bad for the environment and deserves to die. Other better things will come to replace it.
It isn't "full of scams", it's always been a complete ponzi scheme built so that the poor holds the bag. It always will be. It is unethical to make a profit off of crypto, as well as completely hypocritical if you actually care about the poor who will holding the bag after you profit.

I know this might sound unlikely but I actually got into crypto some years ago with the intention of giving most of the gains away to good causes. I don't believe in buying expensive cars etc. In fact I consider it immoral.

I believe this is bingo

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Immoral to buy fancy cars but not invest in crypto and try to trick others into following you?
My dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.