• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

I loved this game as a kid, for masochistic reasons probably, as it was quite hard, and at some point i just got stuck. Never managed to finish it until i read a walkthrough on gamefaqs.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not sure if this strictly counts, but I remember there was a game that came with Microsoft Encarta '95 I think called Mind Maze. It had you go around rooms in a castle or something periodically answering History trivia I believe. At the time I really didn't play games (didn't own a console and didn't have much in the way of PC games) and that wound up being my entertainment when I was bored. It's probably one of the things that ultimately became the gateway for my interest in gaming as a hobby.

Anyways, I don't think I ever figured out how to beat it. At some point I'd just get stuck and not know what to do next, stopped playing for a while, and then come back to it some time later. And thus the cycle repeated. I remember at the time thinking it was just one of those "big kid" games I wasn't meant to understand, and I just felt happy with whatever progress I could make.

Edit: Picture from the game. Man this takes me back

JhkSS3tqxzygqicJj75SmvUWZVIm-CIfx96vL8jOC3o.jpg

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Graveyard puzzle in Alundra and if I can be honest... I still absolutely don't get how you're supposed to solve it. My sister, who was older at the time, tried to help me with it and she also couldn't figure it out (and she was generally good at this sorta thing). I really hate ever having to go there because I absolutely don't ever remember how to do it and always have to look it up.

Was there something lost in translation (especially given it was a Working Designs localization, which did sometimes have issues)...? I literally couldn't make heads or tales of the clues the game tries to give you.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mario's Time Machine, didn't help that back then I was only starting to learn English, the surfing was fun at least.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Most fighting games such as fatal fury and street fighter. I didn't know how to do specials and only used normals which was fine most of the time but seeing others or CPU do cool stuff meant I button mashed to try and rub the dpad just right to throw a fireball.
The only specials I worked out were purely by accident and were charge specials.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Simcity 3000

I have no idea and no clue about the finance, ordinances, advisers, taxes, deals, etc. Too many times I got fired as a Mayor and I used money cheat to keep playing. Only years later I realized that I didn't managed the city well with stable income, more expenses and citizens were mostly unhappy with land value, despite the city grown pretty good with less abandoned buildings.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear on the NES. Had that game forever and probably didn't get more than 10 minutes into it.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yrLw90C.jpg

I mean, absolutely no clue. I think I spent a lot of hours just wandering around in that game.

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
King's Quest on the Amiga. I would always get Sir Graham killed within mins bc I never knew what to type to save him.

Put me down as another one for Mario is Missing. Most depressing weekend rental ever. Feeling sad that my mom took the time to go rent something for me she thought I would like and I couldn't do anything with it and just wasted her money.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fade to Black
Really liked the atmosphere, but I stuck after playing for less than an hour.

k7fk_16798-ingame-fade-to-black.jpg

Also Illbleed.
It was so strange for me and still don't know what was that game and should play it again one day.

yvoj_nulldc_win32_release-notrace-2017-11-06-13-43-20-68.jpg

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Powermonga (Amiga 500) is today a complete mystery to me. We sat with it from time to time, 4-5 kids, back when it was released, and none of us understood even the basic concepts of the game. We just wanted more Populous.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time. First ever Zelda game. Ran around for a while, came up to a guard at a gate who wouldn't let me go by. Didn't know what to do, ran around some more, turned it off and gave the game back to a friend. Haven't played a Zelda game since then lol.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Gave up on the starting area of OoT on a first rental. Ended up being my favourite videogame later.

Ocarina of Time. First ever Zelda game. Ran around for a while, came up to a guard at a gate who wouldn't let me go by. Didn't know what to do, ran around some more, turned it off and gave the game back to a friend. Haven't played a Zelda game since then lol.

wow... I think I found my evil doppelganger

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Quest for Glory 4

Everytime I got to the village I died shortly after for reasons I didn't understand. And I had no clue where to go and what to do.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Gave up on the starting area of OoT on a first rental. Ended up being my favourite videogame later.

wow... I think I found my evil doppelganger
That was...the starting area? I ran back to the village and hit some chickens cause I got bored of looking for an answer. Like...idk I couldn't kill the guard and I don't remember the townsfolk saying anything if you could even talk to them. I tried a link to the past on an emulator years later but same thing I just kinda ran around not knowing what to do lol

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I could never get past the 2nd level in top gun not matter how hard i tried. Could never get the damn fuel in the tank.

Karate Kid that 3rd level just kicked my ass and I never made it past that level either.

I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing in Jaws either. Just killing squids and stuff until the mini jaws showed up. But then I'd get killed by jaws.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Rad Gravity NES - Seriously half the time with that game is "Where the fuck am I? I did not know I could do that! Wait, this makes no fucking sense"
ShadowRun SNES - I did not understand the nature of how the game worked/played at the time. Thankfully years later in my late teens I gave it another shot and loved it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Got stuck at an embarrassingly easy puzzle in Landstalker when I was quite young,

score01

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I came into post about the exact same game. My memory of it is walking around a couple of screens and then giving up. I lent it off a fiend so no instructions or anything for little young me. The picture on the cartridge was hype though.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
That was my first RPG. I think I drew maps of what entrances led where. Took me some time to figure out how to kill the final boss, as that wasn't exactly explained at all in the game :p

Yeah, I didn't really give a chance either. I bought it used from some small game shop and returned it the next week to get something else. I just couldn't wrap my head around it, and I was but a child, so.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
That happened only once when I was 10 and the game was :
Commodore 64 - Supremacy.

Never turned backed and tried it again.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I didn't really give a chance either. I bought it used from some small game shop and returned it the next week to get something else. I just couldn't wrap my head around it, and I was but a child, so.

It is a fairly obtuse and hard game, but I guess that's how RPGs were back then. I think I was in my early teenage years when I played it, probably somewhere between 11 and 13.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Silent Service on NES. The label made it look like an action game but it was actually a submarine simulator that was pretty obtuse to an under-10 player. Never really knew what to do or why…

Deleted member 37679

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
seeing youtube videos of midwinter lets me think if i had another game. sometimes i was able to ski to a building. that was it
Qw1fVT8dUW4tm-4w4ktI5vGvQV3lAv2tm5hteOQ_xc2_engtGHLkM7w71D2ETePg1EkAArIboti_eGMeZgORf33QNpjg86osooRbiw8hIitW2ZdJogTDP5TPiZ-lpga_1A=s412

520082-midwinter-amiga-screenshot-skiing.png

520088-midwinter-amiga-screenshot-in-a-snow-mobile.png

520083-midwinter-amiga-screenshot-getting-ready-for-sniping.png

*edit: added screenshots

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Digimon World for ps1,it was basically dark souls 1.
Completely lost,hard af and no idea what most of the stats do.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Ghostbusters for C64

GhostbustersStadt.gif

Never made it past the starting screen. Was probably for the better that way.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
My earliest memory of such a game would be Ant Attack on the Spectrum, though I would have only been about 5 or 6 which may have had something to do with it! But I rememer just running around getting attacked by ants and not having a clue what to do.