• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if D&D read all the crazy theories between seasons and were like "We'll shock them all by telling the most straightforward story possible!"

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did D&D say that episode 6 was going to be an epilogue and the action would wrap up in episode 5 or is that just some bullshit I read on Reddit?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched the episode again, and I must say I enjoyed it way more the second time, but some things still bothered me.

Things I still disliked

1. Lack of dynamic range and overall grading/lighting. Too hard to make too much of it out.

2. How shot after shot only the heroes were shown perfectly lined up, magically taking on hordes and hordes of whites, even bloody Sam lol. At least surround them with some normal soldiers to give it some realism or groundedness. Made it seen like they were the Avengers.

3. Where the the 50 white walkers shown at the end of the last episode? And did Jon think he could just shout Visceron (ice dragon) to death? Didn't expect him to just give up like that.

4. The NK was ultimately a really undercooked and vapid villain. Would have liked to get some more back story, or at least some characterisation of some sort, especially after a decade of build up.

Other than that, solid overall. Great scale, cool scenes, good sense of drama and tension (aside from the tentpole character invincibility levels), good action, some decent cinematography, and I actually quite enjoyed the surprise death of the NK, especially at the hands of Arya. It genuinely took me off guard.

Still no where near as good as Battle of the Bastards or Hardhome though.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why-Didnt-Night-King-Burn-From-Dragon-Fire_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqtR1WRZ4lb6BOb1-FBRpn-lFGGjcI28awSNtOPAVs6pc.jpg

momentsff7610.jpg

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Night King in all honor, but there's not one character I want more dead than Cersie. She is and always has been the ultimate antagonist of the series for me.
This. Night King was really cool to watch, meanwhile I want Cersei dead so bad lol.

Jon trying to get to the courtyard but the dragon (who looked fucking sweet with the fire coming out of his bitten neck) blocking him was pure Dark Souls.
Agreed, it really was. And it looked so good.
Also reminded me of that recent Project Awakening reveal.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The bottom line is that they don't want everyone's last memory of a main character to be GHGHGHGHGHGHHGGHHGGHZOMBIEHORDE.

It's stupid.

It's not because they had dedicated an entire episode to make sure that each character had a positive moment in their life before the battle. All of that was literally for nothing because they all ended up living anyway.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Honest question.

Who hear cheered or applauded when Arya drove her dagger into the Night King,

I know I jumped to my feet and cheered at 1:30am.

I just sighed.

Was expecting Arya to show up since the show might as well have announced it was going to happen with a megaphone (the Mel/Arya scene). Never imagined it being so easy for her and so out of the blue though, its as if they did it for a shock factor but they already ruined the shock. Sapochnik said you're supposed to forget since you're tense about all the characters almost dying, but it was all the characters almost dying but not actually being killed for no real reason that made it even more obvious Arya was about to show up and kill NK. Very underwhelming ending.

That being said, I absolutely love that it was Arya who did it, I just really feel underwhelmed by how it happened. Contrast that to season 6 finale when I was jumping up and cheering at Arya murdering Walder Frey.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I also really enjoyed the resolution to the WW's storyline.

I always thought "life is not a song" was the main thematic thrust of the series, the books as well as the TV show. It resonated because it didn't just mean that in terms of pessimism and optimism, that life wasn't a song because it didn't always have a happy ending. It meant it in the sense that everything happens for a reason, just not for a narratively satisfying reason, that huge arcs could be decided by deterministic forces that had an explanation but not a reason in the cosmic sense. Ned and Robb didn't get narratively satisfying endings that brought an end to their character arcs. They were just a little unlucky, a little unwise, and wind up getting caught in the deterministic and utilitarian logic of forces much larger than they were, even if they were great lords. They weren't very much unlike the peasants they ordered to their deaths.

And so, if they had to resolve this storyline, it needed to happen the way that it did. No grand Bran vs. NK spiritual battle, no flaming swords and prophecies, no decisive vindication for Melisandre or redemptive mortal sacrifice. The NK had to submit to the deterministic and utilitarian logic that everyone else did. He had to be a little unwise (going out in the first place), a little unlucky (Arya was herself in the right place at the right time), and a lot caught up in forces he didn't have a good way of understanding or predicting (he is undone by techniques taught in a land he's never heard of, that he has no reason to know of, coming from what feels like an entirely different genre of fantasy).

Jan 4, 2018
There is no way that Cersei could lose militarily from now on :

Cersei has :
- the Golden company (20 000 elite troops)
- Lannister troops
- Euron's fleet
- anti-dragon ballistas
- she is defending which is easier

Jon Snow and Daenerys have :
- 2 dragons (and I don't think Rhaegar is in a good shape)
- remnants of their army = almost nothing (and they lost their entire cavalery)

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
if darth maul was brought back, why not bring back the night king for one last hurrah lol

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why people are complaining about the NK lacking backstory. He was created by the Children of the Forest, using magic, as a desperate lack ditch effort to make a tool to take out mankind.

The tool didn't behave/work as intended, and took on its own mission to wipe out all life, including its creator. It was a biological weapon gone horribly wrong.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm curious how many survivors there were. My guess is that it'll be in the hundreds but a couple of houses in the north that bailed will return, and well the dragons will do their magic. Maybe gendry will create armor for them lol and they'll just wreck Cersei's army. Somehow the explosives in kings landing will be used.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ending should have been a fight scene like this (silent hill revelation movie ending spoilers)

Jesus christ what the fuck was that. Wouldn't put it past some posters to actually want GoT be like that.

Cersei has :
- Lannister troops
- Euron's fleet
- anti-dragon ballistas

Pretty sure Theon's sister and whatever remaining army they have will join them.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Cersei has :
- Lannister troops
- Euron's fleet
- anti-dragon ballistas

-

Jon Snow and Daenerys have Arya.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the defense of the Night King. "He was a boring character who never spoke. It was smart to kill him off in one battle!" They conveniently ignore that D&D invented the Night King. If they wanted a badass villain with superpowers and a personality, they could have adapted Book!Euron. But they chose to go in another direction and should be critiqued accordingly.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
if darth maul was brought back, why not bring back the night king for one last hurrah lol
Darth Maul was cut in half, The Night King, or rather, the magic keeping him alive, was shattered.

Cersei has :
- Lannister troops
- Euron's fleet
- anti-dragon ballistas

"We have an Arya."

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
lmfao at Arya killing the NK.
What was the whole point of him? All that build up for a generic evil just cuz badguy.

Good to see all the named characters survive, minus Jorah and Theon. Can't have this being too realistic now.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So, one thing I had originally thought would be neat is if by the end of the story the R'hllor faith became the official one.

1- Cersei blew up the great sept.
2- Melisandre and the Dragons "saved" the north: people witnessed it and Dany could end up as queen.

No idea how it would play out from here on with no preacher going around, but there's room for people to start praying to R'hllor in the next ep. If R'hllor isn't a thing in the next ep then that bit is over with.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine explaining to the last few Dothraki of the entire bloodline why you sent their entire race into pitch black against that.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The worst thing about Arya killing the Night King isn't necessarily that she does it, but that it's done in this fashion at all.

The last time the Night King and the WW invaded Westeros it took the entirety of Westeros banding together and a couple of legendary, magically enhanced heroes to be able to defeat him, but only temporarily. In the mean time multiple prophecies were created surrounding their return, a huge magic wall was created to keep them the fuck out and an entire religion was founded around fighting the Long Night.

Now he comes back with an even bigger army than before to an even more fractured Westeros than before and... he and all his forces are permanently killed when he falls for an obvious trap and some human with half a year training to become a ninja super assassin kills him with a single stab to the stomach.

Man, if only those First Men and Children of the Forest had a ninja super assassin, they wouldn't have needed all those armies and those legendary heroes.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
The night is dark and full of terrors was the lord of light throwing shade(haha) to the night king all this time huh? I guess that plot has run his course but damn they were foreshadowing him having beef with NK since jump.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People seem to think that the NK could just raise bodies over and over.
The ones who were raised during the battle had never been wights before, like Lyanna Mormont.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the episode it's hard to believe that it's a single episode of a TV show and not a movie! The way the whole episode was shot, from the colours to the chaos and claustrophobia was incredible. Really enjoyed it!

As soon as Arya talked to the Red Queen and she said "and blue eyes" or whatever I said to my wife "Arya kills the night king".. and then right before she showed up I knew she was coming.

Was it not rather obvious to everyone else?
I quite often find reading online that subtlety in movies/tv shows is something quite hard to pull off because, well to be blunt, a lot of the audience are too stupid or lack the attention span to notice it.

Although since we're all having our nitpicks of the plot for this episode, the one thing I found strange is that you saw Ghost lined up ready for battle, and then just never seen a single shot of him in battle again. Seems a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
Imagine explaining to the last few Dothraki of the entire bloodline why you sent their entire race into pitch black against that.

"Because you charge at people. That's literally all you do. Instead of 'Run, Forrest, run!' we're shouting 'Charge, Dothraki, charge!' Charging's just in your nature."
- Era

Status
Not open for further replies.